rickybobby17b

Can someone explain mothers nests to me?

What is up with the nests? Can they be moved over? Do they trigger like traps and give the -1 TN instead of what traps do? I don't really get what they do. I don't play engineers but my buddy who does just got mother and we weren't sure if the markers blocked my movement when he placed them

The nests are markers, which means anyone can freely move over them but you can't stop your movement on top of them.

They don't trigger like traps -- they essentially have an aura (of crawling spiders) that gives nearby enemies -1 die on TN tests.

In addition to the passive -1 die effect, they can also be consumed to power a couple of Mother's abilities (Burrow and Webbing).  The nests never go away except to power those abilities, and if Mother has all three nests on the pitch she can't place more until she uses one of those abilities to consume an existing nest.

They don't block movement lanes but a model may not stop with their base overlapping a marker so the can make it where a model can't stand in a certain space. So they can be used to block a charge if the charger is 1" melee and the target is standing directly across from a nest marker. But the if charger can charge at an angle that gets them past the marker and within melee they can do that, so that utility is limited.

Everyone seems to have covered the rules well, so how about some really amazing uses:

1. Webbing: Mother has a huge range of grabbing the ball off of both the initial kick-off and goal kicks. During the initial kick Mother can be instrumental in getting the ball on a flank that is either hard to grab with another player or allows you to not burn one of the activations that could potentially go score a goal instead of retrieving the ball. 5/7" MOV + 4 " range to drop nest + ~1" nest marker base + 2" range = 12/14" retrieval range, which is huge. Not to mention it's nice to not have to send a player out into range of the other team to get the ball. Webbing helps with this because of its "remote" triggering.
  2. Crowd-out: Many times I have gotten another model out of a tight space by dropping a nest next to them, which took a dice off of the attacking players tac. One dice doesn't sound like much, but it's a lot.
  3. Burrow: 1 Inf. to effectively dodge 6.5" and make an attack is nothing to sneeze at. Not to mention when you add that on to her sprint and you consider her 4" kick, she has a 17.5" goal threat. I utilized this in a game the other day and it was pretty epic. I kicked a ball to space near Mother at the end of a turn and then with the last activation of the turn Mother ran around, dropped a nest, burrowed, and scored the game winner.
  4. Hoist: Hoist can True Replicate Burrow and you have a whole new option at your finger tips. Today, I played a game where I received with Pin Vice at the helm. Pin Vice cast alternator on both Hoist and Mother and then passed the ball to Locus. Locus passed the ball to Colossus. Colossus passed the ball to Mother who took a 4" dodge. Mother then dropped the ball and ran 9" and deployed a nest 7" from goal and next to one of my opponents models. Hoist finished the turn by sprinting to within 4" of the nest, burrowing out to the other side and swinging on my opponent's model, successfully hitting the momentous push-dodge. Hoist dodged to within six of the goal and scored the opening goal. Not exactly simple, but a tricky opening for opponents to predict.

Hopefully that sparks a bit of inspiration of your own. If you dream up something else, please share :)

On 09/04/2017 at 5:38 AM, Seacitygamer said:

1. Webbing: Mother has a huge range of grabbing the ball off of both the initial kick-off and goal kicks. During the initial kick Mother can be instrumental in getting the ball on a flank that is either hard to grab with another player or allows you to not burn one of the activations that could potentially go score a goal instead of retrieving the ball. 5/7" MOV + 4 " range to drop nest + ~1" nest marker base + 2" range = 12/14" retrieval range, which is huge. Not to mention it's nice to not have to send a player out into range of the other team to get the ball. Webbing helps with this because of its "remote" triggering.

Used this in a game against Hunters the other day. He used Jaecar for the kickoff and used some fast ground to run right up to the halfway line and tap the ball over. Given that I didn't want to get anyone on my team near Jaecar and I had Mother on that flank I just moved her up and used webbing to grab the ball which I then passed back to Pin Vice. She was still in range of Jaecar. But this way I forced him to push further towards my end of the field and engage her in cover (as she was next to an obstruction), all for one VP.

Mascots being worth less points now just makes them excellent for committing to dangerous situations.