SFG Forums Closing On March 11th 2019 Read more... ×
EpicChris

Snaring to Victory - a Hunter's Journal

So as a homage to Fearlord's similarly titled thread that alas he has moved past (*sniff*) I thought I would start a new one as I swore at SteamCon I would make Hunters work this season or die trying. So after dallying with the obviously broken Fish and Alchies (*joke!...mostly*) I am here to stay. It has nothing to do with the new toys you hear, NOTHING! :)

So I played my first game in 6 months, 

Game 1: Engineers

Me: Theron, Fahad, Hearne1, Jaecar, Minx, Seenah

Him: Pin Vice, Mainspring, Colossus, Locus, Hoist, Ratchet

My thoughts - Hearne1 is a boss with Theron and I really like his goal threat so in the absence of Egret, he's my man. Besides I was trying to run the 20 INF team (*spoiler alert - it's not great! :)*) and you need double Blessing to do that. Jaecar because...seriously? Although I will say Jaecar is less powerful now imo. Because everyone can always counter attack if they lose the roll off, and Jaecar is horribly vulnerable to counters. But he's still the best at what he does. Minx - cash money now. I find the problem Hunters have is that SFG seems to think Snared is everywhere. Theron can't do this on his own and Hunter's Prey is possibly the best rule he has. Having it twice? Boss. Furious also helps the 20 INF turn and unlike Seenah she gets 2/2 (do not understand). Seenah was there for two reasons - 1 I love the model and she has potential to do DMG 2 She has a low KD. Hunters suffer in the new meta I think by being a team with neither lots of 2" nor lots of KD. Seenah provides both.

I won the kick roll so received. He kicked off with Pin Vice, with everyone else spread next to each other along the line - Hoist, Ratchet, Main Spring, Locus, Colossus.

I deployed Minx - Hearne - Theron - Fahad - Seenah - Jaecar. His kick lands stuck behind a barrier about 5" out towards my left side and Minx. 

I load up Theron, Minx, Hearne and Jaecar (he got 1). The 10 INF team ladies and gentlemen - makes choices...interesting. I put 4 on Theron - enough for Sun Strike and Pinned. 2 on Minx, 3 on Hearne.

He loads PinVice to maximum, and then distributes the rest amongst the team.

Turn 1: I activate Theron, measure out forest and place it such that after Theron moves, it will be on a direct line to him for Pin Vice but not blocking LOS. Theron walks away from the ball and then SS himself and fires Pinned at Pin Vice. It hits (THANK GOD! Stupid 5+ buff, grumble grumble). She is now snared and must run through a forest to get to Theron - who is far away...Blessing goes on to Hearne.

He moves Hoist up and tools up Ratchet (True Rep seems possibly better now it is free and can't fail!). I charge Minx into Pin Vice in such a way that I go within 1" of ball. Because of Damaged target, I have 12" of threat. I crash into a 4+/0 PV with 9 dice and manage to roll 5 successes for Screeching Banshee. I then follow up with 4 more damage and dart back 5" directly away from Theron so PV doesn't get a shot. He moved Mainspring. I move Fahad. He moved Locus and tries to tractor beam Theron but it misses. I move Seenah. He moves Colossus. I move Jaecar. He moves Ratchet and drops 2 tooled up bombs on 3 of my models (the large bases of Seenah and Fahad make avoid this hard!). I finish by teleport/move Hearne to PV and take her out with whacking a 3+/0 model. Spears Ratchet for 3 damage and snared.

Hunters 2-0 Engineers

Turn 2: I go first. I load up Theron with 6 to see what he can do (not enough!), load up Hearne. Leaves 1 INF - it goes on Fahad. He brings PV back on at back and loads up Locus, Hoist and Ratchet and Colossus. Theron drops his wood on Hoist so slow him down (and within teleport range of Hearne). Theron charges into Ratchet (was too worried about a < counter) and does 12 damage. Not enough. But he is snared. He activates Ratchet, tools up Locus and heals. Fahad activates, charges, wraps and kills Ratchet (he was 2+/0 with a crowd out...). Nimbles himself. 

Locus stomps up to Fahad and knocks him down (KD on 1 - nice!) then pummels him a bit for momentum. I charge Minx into Hoist and drop the ball off as I charge past to Hearne who it snaps to. I put snared onto Hoist and run away. He moves Colossus over to whale on Fahad. I teleport Hearne, see an opportunity to go whack PV and charges off into her - doing bugger all. He then kicks the goal on a tap in (Dat Threat Range). He kicks out, ends up on Colossus. Hoist goes after Theron. Theron <<s. Seenah charges Colossus and knocks him down and does 1 DMG (why SGF why change this to 2 KD). PV << away from Hearne and goes and starts to smack Theron up. Jaecar moves and drops trap on Colossus. Mainspring moves and markes Theron. 

We are tied at 5 mom each - I lose the roll off.

Hunters 8-0 Engineers

Turn 3: He loads up PV for 6. He loads up Locus and Hoist and Ratchet for TU. I load up Hearne 3, Jaecar 4, Theron 3, Seenah 1. He activates PV and Deletes herself. She then removes Fahad AND Theron. Ow. She heals. I activate Seenah and find out that Stoic is EVERYWHERE! Sad Bear. She swipes at PV and knocks her down. Colosussus activates, KDs Seenah, and passes to Locus. Noone in range to Tackle so I run Minx round (her LOS was blocked by the barrier) so she can take part next turn. He activates Locus and trundles forward to score and then dodges to engage Minx. I kick ball wide away from everyone bar Locus (yeah I forgot the tractor beam play but there weren't any great options). Hearne moves over to Ratchet and punches down his health. Ratchet TUs Hoist. Jaecar punches on Colossus and then dodges away towards Ratchet, dropping trap on Colossus.

We are tied on 4 mom each - I lose roll  off.

Hunters 8-7 Engineers

Turn 4: He loads up PV and Locus and Colossus. I bring Theron back next to goal, load up Jaecar and Hearne and Minx. He activates PV first, tries to kill Seenah. Doesn't quite (as I'd healed). I activate Minx, attack/dodge away from Locus and run away with the ball. He activates Locus and tries to pull me back into melee range but he's out. I activate Jaecar and kill Ratchet and then almost murder PV. He activates Hoist to stop Hearne but Hearne is able to get to PV and takes her out for the win.

12-7 win to Hunters

Final Thoughts: PV is batshit. Seriously? She killed Theron from 16 boxes to dead (she got a lucky KD roll and then just kept printing 3->4 DMG). PV makes you look at Theron and go 'yeah, you don't kill dude'. Seenah was a disappointment but I think this matchup is not her best - too much Stoic and tough hide. Hearne was brilliant. Minx was great. Jaecar was Jaecar. I think Locus is going to be interesting to play against - that 2" push that can be copied by Hoist is going to catch people out. Remote Control on the ball is going to b great too.

Game 2: Union (Rage2)

Me: Theron, Fahad, Jaecar, Hearne1, Minx, Chaska. I was thinking mainly I wanted to try Chaska and the Boombox king. Seenah was also considered for the 2" and KD but I thought it might be worth trying Chaska for his synergy with Blessing. The rest are my core crew. This also gave me 12 INF which was nice.

Him: Rage2, Coin, Mist, Averisse + Greede, Harry, Decimate

So he won the toss, so I was kicking to him. I set up Fahad-Hearne1-Theron-Minx-Chaska-Jaecar with Minx kicking. He setup Mist-Averisse-Greede-Rage2-Harry-Coin-Decimate

Kick - I rush forward with Minx and kick towards Mist. He assigns INF around Mist, A+G, Rage2, Harry and Decimate. I assign mine to Minx, Chaska, Theron, Hearne1.

Turn 1: Mist moves forward to grab ball and then moves back to be within 1" of an obstruction and kicks to Greede. Now, I'm not entirely sure why I did this but I launched Minx forward into Averisse. Snared and damaged him and then bounced into Rage2 (forgot all about Red Fury - idiot) and snare him up and dmg him, then bounce back into Averrisse and hit him for some more damage. I then go mad and dodge back sideways for some reason. He responds by activating Coin to put Coffers on Decimate. I move Jaecar forward a bit. He activates Harry and comes over and mashes Minx up and moves her towards Rage2. I use the momentum from Minx to power Blessing from Theron onto Hearne and put the wood within 4" of him for a later teleport. I run Theron forward, sun strike and Pin Harry (put snare on him - BECAUSE I FORGOT RED FURY AGAIN  although he really is probably the only model in range - *spoiler alert he ends up with a mountain of momentum from my incompetence*). He activates Averisse and attacks Minx. I counter and he knocks her down non-mom. He passes from Greede to Rage who is still within 4" of Harry and jumps. I move Fahad up. Rage passes to Decimate who jumps, he heroics onto Decimate and moves Rage up and whales on Minx, taking her out. He then removes ALL snares (*sigh*). Hearne blesses Chaska and teleports and moves up to Rage and pushes and snares him with Blessing and hits him a bit. Decimate plows into Hearne and does does some damage and heals Rage. Chaska moves up and double boom boxes Rage. He wins the roll off by +1000.

Hunters 0-2 Union

Turn 2: He assigns INF but doesn't to Rage because he is concerned that Rage will get killed by counters and is engaged by Hearne. He assigns all INF to Harry, A+G, Decimate and Mist. I assign max to Jaecar, risk 3 on Hearne, 3 on Theron and 2 on Chaska, Minx comes on far right onto fast ground. He activates Harry and mashes and knocks down Hearne. I activate Jaecar, go into Rage and kill him. I stand Hearne back up. He decides to go with Mist but he's just out of scoring threat range. He passes to Decimate and engages Fahad to switch hhim off (which is so annoying!). I activate Theron, pop forest near Hearne, Blessing Hearne, Pin Decimate and move behind the Forest, out of reach and forcing Decimate to no longer be able to hit Hearne. He activates Coin to Coffer Averisse. I activate Hearne, push Harry, fire Snared at Averisse, walk up to Decimate and knock her down (scattering ball), teleport into forest, blesses Chaska. He charges Averisse into Hearne but doesn't kill him. He uses Greede to get the ball back to Decimate. I move Chaska up and double boom box Decimate backwards to stop any pass n go stuff and leave her on 4 boxes. Decimate passes the ball to Harry and moves about a bit. Minx charges into Averisse and generates some momentum. Fahad takes a parting blow from Mist and moves to threaten models.

Hunters 2-2 Union

Turn 3: I win the roll and go first. I can't get to the ball on Harry (afraid of those counters) so decide instead to try to get some use out of Hearne before he dies. I assign to Hearne, Minx, Theron, Chaska, Jaecar. He brings Rage back on left flank. He's too far from the action so gets 1. Harry gets max, Decimate gets 3, Mist gets 3 and the rest on A+G. I activate Hearne, push Averisse away and whale on him for momentum, heal and Bless Theron. Harry activates, takes Hearne out (Hearne no like 2+ vs TAC 7) and passes to Mist who dodges away from anyone and then engages Fahad with Harry (*sigh*). I ponder and decide to charge Minx into Decimate. I take some damage and dodge as he counters, but manage to dodge into Greede. Dodge back onto Decimate and inflict some more damage but miss the take out so retreat. He scores with Mist, I kick out to far right (away from Mist and towards a flank Hearne will come back on). I move Fahad to engage Decimate (for some reason - I think I was thinking crowd outs/parting blows) and he charges with Rage and inflicts some damage on Fahad. I move Jaecar into Rage and take him down to 3 health and bleeding. He bounces away from Fahad with Decimate and moves up to attack Chaska and heals Rage. I charge Decimate (that << on 2 means follow up attacks seem unlikely) and do damage. I Pin Averisse and Bless Chaska. He moves Averisse up and attacks Theron and KDs owing to counter attack. I attack Decimate with Chaska and use that sweet >> on 2 to move her away from him. Then move towards Rage and Boom Box him back to death zone. He moves Coin to engage Mist. Rage dies to conditions.

Hunters 4-8 Union

Turn 4: I win the roll off and bring Hearne back on right flank 'near' ball. Assign max to Jaecar, 2 to Hearne, 2 Chaska, 2 Minx, 2 Theron. He brings Rage back far away (from Jaecar and Boom box town). He assigns to Harry, Mist, Decimate, A+G. I activate Jaecar and kill Decimate and wound Greede and run away. He uses Averrisse to beat up Theron and push him into Harry range. Greede moves over to attack Minx, but I counter and snare him and bounce off. I activate Theron and generate some momentum and bless Chaska. I dodge to be the way of Harry on Minx. He activates Mist and moves up to engage Theron and Chaska. I decide to try a 'risky' move and activate Chaska taking the parting blow from Mist (irrelevant damage) I move into Averrise melee (have to for range) and double boom box with momentum into Greede on 2 dice fishing for a 4+. Greede is taken out. Harry activates and beats the crap out of Theron. I run Hearne to get the ball, drop it to Minx and punch and push Coin. He moves Rage up to Red Fury Harry into Theron. I activate Minx and score.

Hunters 12-8 Union - Win

Final Thoughts: What a tool I was to charge Minx in and then position her there. Idiot. Anyway, Union print momentum easily (double Rising Anger? Ouch). Chaska is a boss! He synergies well with Blessing. Getting 2 boom boxes seems like a sweet point investment - you can get 8 DMG out for 2 INF which is pretty good. Also Traps and good playbook. This team is MAXIMUM SNARE - everybody is contributing snare except Fahad. Still struggling with Fahad. That furious is getting shutdown - I need to get his range in better for the bounce missile. I'm liking this line up a lot - will I ever be able to try Egret or Zarola? I mean they don't come with shotguns do they...

I'm enjoying these.  Keep up the good work!

Chaska with 3 boom boxes is awesome, but hopefully I can try out FOUR boom boxes with the new releases.  There are times he just deletes a 12 HP model with 3 shots.  Other times, he misses 3 boomboxes in a row against a DEF 3 model... good thing those are kind of rare.

13 hours ago, kryzak said:

...Other times, he misses 3 boomboxes in a row against a DEF 3 model... good thing those are kind of rare.

Not that rare. Today Chaska failed to kill a snared Flint, who was with one hp left. Two boom boxes, two misses. I love hunters anyway

On 08/04/2017 at 6:03 PM, kryzak said:

I'm enjoying these.  Keep up the good work!

Chaska with 3 boom boxes is awesome, but hopefully I can try out FOUR boom boxes with the new releases.  There are times he just deletes a 12 HP model with 3 shots.  Other times, he misses 3 boomboxes in a row against a DEF 3 model... good thing those are kind of rare.

my poor friend is cursed with his character play luck. Last game Obulus was walking on water against every single character play thrown at him. https://youtu.be/s-5bI3FtdTs?t=73 for a dramatic re-enactment of the hunters trying to take down obulus.

Game 3: Engineers (Ballista)

I lose the roll and kick to him

Me: Theron, Fahad, Hearne1, Jaecar, Minx, Zarola

Him: Ballista, Mainspring, Velocity, Colossus, Hoist, Ratchet

Thoughts: I want to force myself to play more Hunter players and I also thought Zarola might be nifty for a kick off team to move Jaecar into murder range. The rest are my go-to guys and besides I won't learn as much if I change everybody every time. This lineup loses Knock-Down bot Seenah but we'll see if that works.

Deploy: I deploy tightly, with Fahad-Zarola-Minx-Theron-Hearne-Jaecar with Zarola->Jaecar 6" (tight!). He deploys Velocity (out wide on one one flank) Colossus, Ratchet, Hoist, Ballista, Mainspring

Kick off: I move Minx forward, just out of Colossus charge (in case he got frisky) and tight towards Velocity but it scatters back to Colossus.

Turn 1: He allocates max to Hoist, 2 on Ratchet, 1 on Velocity, 3 on Colossus, 3 on Ballista. I allocate max to Jaecar (for his hopeful murder trip), 4 on Theron, 2 on Hearne, 2 on Minx, nothing on Zarola or Fahad.

He moves Colossus forward but realises he wont need 3, so just runs, grabs ball and then passes to Minx. He then uses the momentum to dodge into cover. Minx charges into Colossus (and cover). Manages a to damage and snare (MOM) and then whacks him twice more (love those dodges on 1 DMG - FU Tough Hide!) for momemtum fountain and shadows back to Hunters. Ratchet activates, Tools Up Hoist and runs then fixes conditions from Colossus. Theron drops forest within 4" Hearne and walks forward and Sun Strikes and Pins Ratchet. Hoist walks forward and throws grenades at Theron and Minx (misses) and Hearne and Jaecar (hits). Unfortunately for the range he had moved outside the magic 4". Still 3 DMG wasn't to be sniffed at.

Fahad walks forward to threaten Colossus next turn. Ballista moves up and deadbolts Minx. He activates Mine Field. Hearne Blesses Zarola and teleports up and whacks Ballista and Skewers him. Mainspring moves up. Zarola moves Jaecar into murder range of Ballista and Hoist and walks up to Fahad. Velocity moves up and passes the ball to Colossus. Jaecar murder runs Ballista but I forgot Ballista 2.0 got a >> on 2 (seriously 8/12 engineers have 2" repos on 2 - insane) so get batted off - should have dodged into Hoist. No problem, I shadow back into b2b. I win the roll off because Jaecar used his special Character Play - Fountain Of Momentum (Jaecar wrapping).

Hunters 0-0 Engineers

Turn 2: I go first and allocate 4 to Jaecar, 3 to Hearne, 2 to Minx, 3 to Theron. He allocates 1 to Ballista (correctly identifying that I want him dead), 3 to Colossus, 3 to Velocity, 4 to Hoist and 2 to Ratchet. Jaecar murders Ballista and drops trap next to Hoist. Manages to Gut & String Hoist and shadows towards enemy goal. He measures goal threat but Colossus is trapped by a barrier and Velocity can't make it owing to Fahad being in way. He activates Colossus, walks round to engage and whacks Fahad (KD+some pushes) and then passes to Velocity who jumps 4". I activate Minx and plow into Ratchet, wounding & snaring him good and then shadowing up field. He activates Ratchet to trigger the trap on Hoist and then heals. Theron activates, drops forest on Hoist and then charges him. Snares Hoist and dodges into Ratchet, whacks Ratchet and then stays engaged to Ratchet, blesses Hearne. He activates Velocity, moves to the goal and Nimbles up to make her virtually untouchable. Hearne teleports into the forest and takes out Ratchet. Then walks and blesses Zarola. Hoist clears snare and charges 2" into Theron. Theron counters and << away ("two can play that game oh yeaaaah"). Mainspring moves up and does zip. Zarola activates, clears KD on Fahad. I then do my party piece - Zarola Midnights (Blessing) Fahad to walk out of melee with Colossus. Colossus KDs Fahad. Link into Fahad (who is now outside Colosuss melee), clear KD (again) and charge Colossus with Furious. Wrap twice so go for momentum and damage and bounce out of melee. I win roll off.

Hunters 4-0 Engineers

Turn 3: I load up the same models again. He loads up Velocity, Colossus, Ballista (who moves on into fast terrain) and Hoist. Ratchet comes on next to Ballista. I activate Fahad first and furious into Colossus for Mom, dodging up to engage Ballista. He activates Colossus and whacks Zarola (but misses owing to cover and 5+) and so just moves around her, closer to goal. I activate Minx and charge into Ratchet. I snare him up good and damage him severely and shadow away (I regret in hindsight not charging Ballista and Snaring Him!). He activates Hoist and pushes Theron around (I missed my counter). I activate Theron, drop forest to offer potential 2nd goal route using Hearne and beat up on Hoist to move into melee with Mainspring and Bless Hearne. He activates Velocity and scores leaving her in Tap In range and Nimbled (but Vengeance triggers). I kick out towards Hearne but it scatters on to Mainspring.

Not a problem because I have SUPER JAECAR duh dah!, Jaecar activates, walks into Mainspring, Tackles, and then is able to << into 6" and score a goal and shadows b2b with Hoist. Probably shouldn't have done this because he kicks ball out towards Ballista. Ballista activates, KDs Fahad, and then runs with Fast Ground into range to Breach! into Mainspring (fortunately, Fahad's large base is stopping him Breaching! to Velocity). KDs Theron and Jaecar. Realise what he is planning so look at options on Velocity. Hearne is engaged by Colossus so charging is out and so move inside melee to attack Velocity (not sure why I didn't KD Colossus but...) miss but Vengeance to KD. He doesn't have enough momemtum to stand up and snap shot now. He long bombs with the bug onto Colossus. I Skewer Colossus and bless Zarola. He moves Ratchet down towards Colossus and fixes conditions and heals. I activate Zarola and fire bolas at Colossus to re-snare him.

Hunters 8-4 Engineers

Turn 4: He wins roll off. He loads up Ballista, deadbolts Minx, and whales on Jaecar but can't kill him. Jaecar activates, heals and pummels Ballista in return. He whacks people with Colossus and passes to Velocity for a 4 dice 3+ Tap in Snap shot. I kick back out to Theron & Hearne but it scatters onto Ballista. I Furious Fahad into Ratchet and take him out. He recognises that he's in trouble now and tries to stop Ballista being taken out by using Velocity to <<>> Hearne miles from Ballista. I activate Theron, drop wood near Ballista and clear KD and punch Ballista up. He tries to move Hoist to put Hearne even further out and heals Ballista but I can walk and teleport and whale on Ballista. Finally he moves Mainspring over to engage but Minx charges in and takes Ballista out.

Hunters 12-8 Engineers

Thoughts: I got goal blindness and should have just taken the ball onto Jaecar and run away. I managed to get it back but having a 6+ Velocity next to your goal in Tap In is bananas good. Zarola really works well with Fahad - being able to disengage so he can charge is pretty awesome. I might even like it better than shotgun blasts because you don't roll! Hmmm, food for thought. Without easy KD (Seenah) it's hard to deal with Velocity reliably. Hearne2 might help here, but boy do I bloody love Hearne1. Teleporting with Theron is cash money. Of course Skatha won't help so probably Hearne2 is a lock of I choose her.

3 minutes ago, EpicChris said:

Lack of Trees is a real ballache for Hunters.

Quite true and as my usual suspects / opponents know this, we have devised a play where by we roll off to see if a forest terrain is placed, instead of the usually fast ground, rough ground. Sometimes they even relish the fact there is a forest to make my bad play more challenging for them. :)

4 hours ago, EpicChris said:

it's more Theron+Hearne are a 6/9 Captain with two activations...

5/9. But I think you've convinced me to start running Hearne in place of the Bear for awhile.

Not sure if I have it in me to drop Chaska, though. Which means if I wanted to run Zarola I'd have to drop... I don't even know. Minx?

1 hour ago, Mistergone said:

Which means if I wanted to run Zarola I'd have to drop... I don't even know. Minx?

Yes, that is the choice I have to make.  ATM I'm running Zarola, but I really do need to try Minx out more often to make in my opinion the choice I feel is correct for what I do on the pitch. Chaska on rough ground and or possibly two forest's near the centre is just to good a thing to drop IMHO.

Game 4: Union (vRage)

Me: Skatha, Fahad, Hearne2, Seenah, Jaecar, Ulfr

Him: vRage, Coin, Decimate, Gutter, Harry, Minx

I loss the kick roll and was kicking to him.

Thoughts: Wanted to try to test the new models with their cards. Tried to keep proxies to a minimum but also am unsure about Snow and influence efficiency with Seenah. With no Blessing, that 11 INF hurts.

I setup Ulfr-Fahad-Jaecar-Skatha-Seenah-Hearne2 (next to some rough terrain). Skatha has the ball. He deployed Minx-Gutter-Rage-Decimate-Harry-Coin. I kick off with Skatha, moving her such that Jaecar is still within 4". 

Turn 1: He loads up Rage to max, puts 2 on everyone else bar Coin. I load up Skatha with 6 (to see what she can do) and put 4 into Jaecar, with 1 on Ulfr. He activates Harry, runs for the ball and passes to Rage, who takes the free jump forward. I activate Skatha, drop fast on top of her, just in front of Seenah and Jaecar (they were tight against her in deployment), throw Snared AOE onto Rage (triggers Rising Anger :( ) and run slightly behind Rage. I pop legendary (hitting everyone) and punch Rage. I just get the MOM T (will never try this without AP next time - 5 dice ain't 6!) and take the <>. I then take shot on goal and score, moving back to engage Rage. He kicks out to Harry. He responds by charging into Skatha with Minx and doing some damage and snaring her. I charge Jaecar into Rage and do damage and Gut & String him and bounce away. He activates Rage and takes Skatha out (with Bloody Coin) and charges into Jaecar (doing quite some damage). I charge into Rage with Seenah and fluff, just doing 2 DMG. He activates Decimate and runs forward. I move Hearne up to threaten but not enough momentum for Last Light. He runs up Gutter to engage. I move Ulfr up to engage Rage. Coin moves forward a bit. Fahad charges Rage, does a bit of damage. He has 11 million momentum so wins automatically. 

Hunters 4-2 Union

Turn 2: He loads up Rage, Gutter, Decimate, Harry and Minx the same as before. I bring Skatha back on away from Rage. Assign 1 to Jaecar, rest to Hearne, Seenah, Skatha and Ulfr. He activates Rage and kills Jaecar, moves into Seenah and does some damage. I activate Skatha and drop AOE snared on all Union bar Harry. Put Fast ground onto Hearne in the Rough ground for +4/+4. He activates Coin and gives Decimate the buff, clears conditions on Rage. I activate Hearne and send him into engage all models, knocking Rage, Decimate and Gutter down. He fires his Skewer at Rage. He activates Decimate and attacks Seenah. I activate Seenah and bash up Rage, first pushing him off Fahad. He activates Minx and beats down on Ulfr. Fahad charges into Rage and rolls well enough to take him out. Harry charges Ulfr. Ulfr activates and generates momentum off Minx (< on 1). I go +1 on the roll off...and lose. 

Hunters 6-4 Union

Turn 3: Rage comes back onto fast ground. He measures and loads him up. He loads up Harry and Gutter. I load up Skatha with 6, Hearne with 3 and Seenah with 2 and Jaecar with 1. He flings Rage into Ulfr and takes him out. I activate Hearne and KDHarry to cause the ball to move to Gutter and Skewer Decimate to near take out. He activates Harry to attack Seenah. I activate Seenah and push off Harry and take out Decimate. Then furious into Gutter. I KD her but the ball scatters right next to her. She activates and scores a goal. I kick it out to near Skatha and score a counter goal with some snowball jumping.

Hunters 12-10 Union

Thoughts: Wowser - Rage was a nightmare - generating 6+ momentum himself (including Rising Anger) and the rest of the squad literally pours momentum out - seemingly better than Butchers! I was lucky he went for the goal because I think he could have won initiative and hidden the ball from Skatha - then it would have been a roll off on momentum and I would have still been down! Skatha is fun and the threat extension is serious business. I wouldn't try the Shark T1 score without Snow I think - AP is pretty essential or else you are relying on Snare hitting and all sorts. Hearne2 was pretty boss - conventional approach, but when he got into the mix, MOM KD on 2 is very good. I worry without rough ground access he's dependent on Skatha - so suffers the same as Theron match but he's very good and although the Last Light usage is momentum expensive (and will cause you to lose roll offs as expected, it can be worthwhile for that 3 DMG and Snare).

We re-racked and played the flipside - Union kicking to Hunters and it was very interesting...will write later.

I have certainly seen his potential - he can be extremely annoying if you lack easy KD to disengage. I worry about his speed without access to Rough Ground, and Hearne1 had KD on 3 (which with AP from Snow might be as good?) so it's going to take a few more games. But yeah if he has the tools, he can do a lot of work. He doesn't replace Hearne1 for me yet, but I can see he's got game - he's much more independent. 

1 minute ago, EpicChris said:

I have certainly seen his potential - he can be extremely annoying if you lack easy KD to disengage. I worry about his speed without access to Rough Ground, and Hearne1 had KD on 3 (which with AP from Snow might be as good?) so it's going to take a few more games. But yeah if he has the tools, he can do a lot of work. He doesn't replace Hearne1 for me yet, but I can see he's got game - he's much more independent. 

Essentially he gets a speed buff from either Captain, although it's probably slightly better with Skatha, as you're more likely to have rough ground in a relevant place on the pitch.

2" Melee KD is legitimately useful for Hunters though. Definitely worth considering. 

his much lower T makes him at least threaten to take the ball back too. i like hearne2 more as a general player than hearne1. Although i think hearne1 has a great spot with theron that i wouldn't trade. 

kind of like how siren and vSiren usually go to shark and corsair respectively (with some crossover, depending on the situation), hearne1 plays therons strengths more and hearne2 is just generally better than skatha. Especially when you can't  guarantee there is even a forest for hearne1 to benefit from.

i would run at least one hearne in every 9 though, 2" melee is something hunters sorely lack

Game 5: Union (vRage)

So this is the reverse situation from the previous game with same lineups - this time I am receiving.

Me: Skatha, Fahad, Hearne2, Seenah, Jaecar, Ulfr

Him: vRage, Coin, Decimate, Gutter, Harry, Minx

He deploys Minx-Gutter-Rage-Decimate-Harry-Coin. I deploy Fahad (wide)-Jaecar-Skatha-Seenah-Hearne-Ulfr(wide). He kicks off with Rage, moving him 5" forward ready to do Rage things. Ball scatters off to the left.

Turn 1: I put 4 INF on Skatha, 2 on Seenah, 4 on Jaecar and 1 on Hearne. He puts max on Rage, and 2 on everyone else bar Coin. I activate Skatha, drop her Ice AOE on herself and Seenah (next to each other) and run to the ball. I leave myself at 9" from Rage and drop Snare on him via AOE. I then pass the real ball to Jaecar who jumps into the Ice AOE. He moves Harry up to Rage and drops Molotov on pitch but not on Jaecar. Fahad activates and walk up. He activates Coin and Coffers Decimate. I activate Ulfr and move him up. He activates Decimate and move up and Second Winds Rage. Jaecar activates, drops ball within 1" and charges into b2b with Rage. I gut and string him, push him forward and damage him and drop trap. I back off out of range. He activates Gutter but she just runs up. I charge Seenah into Rage and take him out. He charges Minx into Seenah and damages a little. Hearne moves up and throws his Skewer at Minx and hits for DMG and snared. I win the roll off.

Hunters 2-0 Union

Turn 2: I put 2 on Seenah, 3 on Jaecar, 4 on Skatha, 2 on Hearne. He brings Rage back on via fast ground. He loads up Rage, Harry, Gutter and Decimate. I roar Minx off Seenah and charge her (she's not in b2b). Seenah takes her out. He activates Harry, KD's Seenah and pushes her 2" towards Rage. I charge Fahad into Rage and block all charge lanes and do some damage. He attacks Fahad and it takes several attacks to take him out. He then charges towards Skatha. I defensive and counter and he doesn't get the KD (6+s) and I << away and grab the ball. I activate Hearne and charge Harry - I KD him and engage Decimate, Coin and Gutter. He activates Decimate and hacks into Hearne. I activate Skatha and Ice herself and Jaecar and walk up to Harry, dodge off him, pass a snowball to Jaecar and score. He kicks out but it scatters wide to the right. He activates Gutter and tries to KD Hearne but instead has to > twice and walk towards the ball and grab it. I activate Jaecar and walk around and whiff attacking Gutter, doing a little damage but not much else (but MOM). He moves Coin to engage Skatha and block charges on Gutter. I move Ulfr up. I win roll off.

Hunters 8-1 Union

Turn 3: I put 4 on Ulfr, 4 on Skatha, 4 on Jaecar. He puts 4 on Gutter, Harry and Decimate. I activate Ulfr, charge Gutter, get the T<. He counters but only gets 3 hits, so can only push me into b2b. I Where'd they go and then score in Tap In range.

Hunters 12-1 Union.

Thoughts: Wow, so yeah, when the machine works - it really works. Obviously people will learn about the +2/+2 (or +6/+6 - although not much you can do there) and adjust. But it is powerful. And Skatha is a goal threat in a way Theron isn't. She's got that sBrisket vibe about her but she does more for the team. I can see against some that factions this sort of start would be suicide (and against Fish I probably prefer Theron although as someone pointed out the Ice AOE/Snowball helps under Shark legendary - need to play that one out). But it's a nice trick to have! And it will catch people out.

Great write ups, nice to see some reports with the new figures. I'm excited to get some games in with them.

I think the second game was all but over when Rage got taken out first turn having done nothing. Was that due to your opponent not realizing that he was in Bear Murder range? Or did he just have no options with him?

Problem was everyone was outside charge range (not quick time) so he waited to see if he could get use out of that 4inf and not appreciating Jaecar move put him in bear range.  It's early learning for opponents on new Hunters but they will adjust. 

Also tested out all 4 new Hunters last night.  Similar experience.  Skatha is sBrisket but supports the team like crazy.  I really like her.  I do agree that using Theron is good against some teams, especially while Kicking off.  

I did a ridiculous setup that only worked because neither I nor my opponent has seen the new Hunters in action.  I had Ulfr kick off, put fast ground, Anatomical Precision, AND Last Light on him.  This way he had 5 INF worth of stuff to do.  I had Skatha pass the snowball to him to dodge him, and give him the 1" dodge blessing.  Then he was able to spend 2 to charge (he was already 9" up the pitch at this point, away from unactivated models that can reach him) 9", hitting Tenderizer with a momentous dodge + 1" dodge (Blessing), nullifying his counter attack (and even with DEF Stance, he was a 4/0 against Ulfr).  Used the Last Light MP to WTG to Boar who was hiding the ball in the very back.  Spent 1 INF to tackle from Boar and get MP, and shot on goal with a tap in with only 2 dice (couldn't dodge out of Boar unfortunately), and got the goal.  It was cool to see it work, but it was super telegraphed.  I guess I'll only do it if I'm sure Ulfr can be safe before he does the charge, and I do agree that AP is absolutely necessary.  I only got 1 result on the charge against Tenderizer (even at 4/0) and was able to dodge 2" thanks to Blessing+AP.  

The WTG is money against Brisket, since he's the only person who can easily get past her UM.

vHearn was awesome.  I rolled terribly with him except for 1 roll (the important one), knocking oBrisket down who had the ball.  Then after that, vHearne couldn't hit a 4/1 model to save his life, otherwise I would have banked 2 MP to use Last Light for a Skewered on Brisket or Fillet.  Oh well.  I still like him more than vHearne though.

I lost Skatha after she scored the 2nd goal (it was a worthwhile trade), but also realized how the team falls apart with her free snowball dodge and/or the fast ground.  Everyone was just a lot slower and not as powerful.  So that was a big lesson learned.

Snow is still a toss up.  I did have one situation where I had to grab the ball with Ulfr, kick it towards Snow (I could have passed to him, but chose to just kick it to a spot near him).  It triggered "Oooh Ball" and he was able to move safely away from Fillet and grab the ball and eventually hand it off to Chaska for a goal.

I'm really enjoying the new models right now, and can't wait to play them more (and read more of your reports!)

Tournament 1 (12 man)

Roster: Theron, Fahad, Hearne1, Chaska, Minx, Egret, Zarola, Seenah, Jaecar

Thoughts: Last tournament without the new the models, so I get an easy roster selection! Happy for the choices for kick off and receive.

Game 1: Brewers (Esters)

Him: Esters, Quaff, Mash, Spigot2, Friday, Stoker

Me: Theron, Fahad, Hearne1, Chaska, Minx, Jaecar

Given the low defence, I fancied Chaska's Boom Box for some Quad Damage, the rest are the Usual Suspects. He won and chose to kick with Esters. I activated Theron and Pinned her and we exchanged blows. Hearne got taken out after being surrounded but Chaska and Minx removed Spigot. The ball scattered wide and with that it turned into a punch up. Jaecar, Minx and Theron backed up by Blessed Chaska took their toll on the Brewers and while we lost players a piece, I was ahead and able to bring Jaecar back on and scramble with the ball, bounce off Quaff and slot the winning goal. Good thing too as I was clocking out hard!

Hunters 12-9 Brewers

Game 2: Engineers (Pin Vice)

Him: Pin Vice, Mainspring, Ratchet, Locus, Hoist, Velocity

Me: Theron, Fahad, Hearne1, Minx, Jaecar, Zarola

I chose Zarola as an Offering on Jaecar is able to put him last activation into downtown. I lost the roll off and he opted to receive. I I kicked off and he passed back to Pin Vice. I attacked with Minx whom he pulled back with Locus. I beamed in Hearne to mash up some peeps and throw Skewer at locus. He used Pin Vice to remove Hearne (Tooled Up). I moved Jaecar up and removed Locus. He won the roll off but was unable to squeeze Minx into a doom triangle so I dodged her away with Back to Shadows. However Pin Vice activated, removed Minx and then legendaried to score. I kicked the ball wide to Jaecar and went to town on Pin Vice, but bloody Ratchet cleared off all her conditions (for free!). I put everyone, including Jaecar into her and took her out. Was able to bounce Jaecar wide from Velocity and Pinned Hoist to prevent tackle pursuit. Then ground out the game and scored winning goal with Jaecar.

Hunters 12-8 Engineers

Game 3: Union (Blackheart)

Him: Blackheart, Coin, Minx, Hemlocke, Decimate, Snakeskin

Me: Theron, Fahad, Hearne1, Minx, Jaecar, Zarola

I lost the kick off so was kicking. I sent kicked off with Minx and we traded blows and players. His legendary messed up my second turn (5+/1 is a nightmare) but I was able to generate momentum and stay in the game (taking  out Coin!). Snakeskin scored a goal and after take outs we were close. I misplayed a Hearne move and allowed a Pinned Blackheart to attack him, and ultimately when the game was on a knife edge lost the roll off and then even though I scored I was unable to cross the finish line before I clocked out (and I would have lost to a Decimate attack anyway).

Hunters 11-12 Union.

Overall: 2nd. A fun run out with Theron and it really gave me pause for what I will change in the roster with Skatha and co. Having settled into a rhythm with Theron, I need to see what matchups and abilities Skatha brings to the table. The cross over doesn't look great but I'm still crunching the numbers on players to squeeze into a 9. Watch this space!