Kevin Bryant

Advice on vRage

Right I like to consider myself a reasonable Union player. From the start of S1 Union have always been close to my heart. At events this year I have gone 3-1 and 4-1 with them.

However, I just cant get vRage to really do much outside of local club games.

Well I know he hits like a truck and all that but whenever Ive faced him I don't fear him.

I just find hes easy to lock down (thus preventing one of his tricks of the free charge, not that hard to hit and hurt and if I need to I can just keep my distance from him and he has no plan B to his game.

Can those who sing his praises try and explain what you do to get wins out of him. As it stands come the end of the month doubt that he will even get out my case let alone into my team of 9

Vet Rage doesn't have the Furious Charge like regular Rage Brainfart!

The best thing I find about VRage is his ability to hand out ganging up bonuses like they're going out of fashion, and the fact that he can spend his Inf to move other players and make them attack.

1 minute ago, MetacarpiUG said:

Vet Rage doesn't have the Furious Charge like regular Rage

The best thing I find about VRage is his ability to hand out ganging up bonuses like they're going out of fashion, and the fact that he can spend his Inf to move other players and make them attack.

Yes he does.

If a model is pinning Rage in place, engaging them with Harry or Avarisse lets you Red Fury to push them out of the way with one of those guys before charging them.

4+/1 is one of the better defensive statlines, especially with Rising Anger.

He's modular with his influence. If you can't get to engagement with someone, buy attacks with someone else. Dodge people in to engage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahteJptMFek

But seriously, the main thing about VRage is he's a beater support piece who's super flexible with his INF. It's true that sometimes he's personally really held down, and if that happens for an entire game you'll probably lose—but the good news if you have Harry, Avarisse, and Gutter to disengage him, and he can even use them to disengage during his activation! His game is all about getting the most out of each and every INF. Heroic Gutter and then Red Fury her 4 times, then have her activate 4 times, for 8 attacks with +1 DMG/TAC and 8 HP healed. Red Fury Avarisse to apply Singled Out on a target before Rage charges in and lays a bajillion damage into them. Turn all your INF into Momentum! Stack TAC buffs until Harry is wrapping on non-charge attacks and doing 6+ damage per attack! Deal 9 damage and then 11 damage to KD'd, 5x gang-upped Compound with Strongbox and kill him in two hits with your mascot! (actually did do that once). 

4-1 is the victory condition I feel best suits VRage, since he has self-sufficient strikers in Mist and A&G and makes his core beating team very strong. Look to engage the opponent in a scrum where engagement bonuses/penalties quickly overwhelm them and the math just works out in your favor. Rage himself is very consistent in every sense of the word: He deals consistent damage, he generates consistent momentum, he consistently gets work out of his INF. He also sometimes makes Harry and Gutter (his two best beating buddies imo) explode with damage, and keeps them alive through an overwhelming momentum advantage when he's winning. Sometimes getting the fight going in the way you want is tough if the opponents are fast, but if you eventually get a kill off and start taking over the scrum, it's incredibly difficult for opponents to come back. VRage makes his team have such a high offensive output that I think he's the best snowballing beating captain in the game.

For general strategies, work hard to make sure each INF is doing something, since you don't have a lot of it. Focus on single models to take them out fast, particularly when the Heroic/Legendary are available. Even models you can't get INF to some turns (Mist often) can be used to engage models to stack up TAC and other bonuses. Remember that Harry is just one or two TAC away from absolutely murdering people, especially with a damage buff as well. Use pushes and Chain Grabs to put vulnerable pieces into the danger zone and force your opponent to react to your game. Go for an early goal against beater teams, cause if they are on the back foot and spending INF to even up the score you're definitely winning the fight. Against scoring teams do your best to kill the ball and just slot in a goal to finish the game when you get to 8 points. 

Edit: Also a HOT TIP I have been thinking about a lot lately. I've found that, when my opponent doesn't screw something up turn one, games with VRage start turn two with clear battle lines drawn and neither team engaged with the other, even if somebody has scored a goal. In circumstances like that, with a beating team like Rage's, there's a lot of really good reasons to choose to go second even if you win initiative. Not always, but often. The one momentum plus double rising anger makes it super hard to invalidate models except with something like Shark legendary, and you want the baddies to come into you. 

VetRage is one of the hardest guys to lock down. His great momentum generation mean conditions generally don't matter, he has accessible pushes that let him get his charge off unassisted against 1" melee guys, and his team is often an array of great attackers, and thus great targets for Red Fury. Unless he's going to die, you can safely give VetRage 4 inf every turn, and something will happen with it.

Keep Harry or Avarisse close enough to Rage that he can come push people off of him and clear charge lanes. When all you're looking for is to free Rage up, Red Fury'ing for a push is much better than having to use Quick Time, so look for those kinds of opportunities.

A well-played VetRage team can outfight just about anyone. You should regularly be rolling with TAC values well-above base between things like Strongbox aura, a healthy amount of Ganging Up, and Bloody Coin. And you'll be generating a metric boatload of momentum while doing so. Generating 12-14 momentum a turn is commonplace, and against many teams, you can use it very liberally for healing/clearing conditions, gliding, dodging, bonus timing, etc. and have plenty left over to secure first for the next turn.

Some good advice and I will try it out. I do find Minx also works well due to the low team infl total and also aids in generating Mom. 

I just find it's hard to force the scrum if the other player doesn't want to play that way. I mean vRage loves an attritional Brewers team but most teams can sactrifice a player or two and either score and/or pick off the edge players while you're just getting your 2VPs. With Rage's lowish speed and then players like Strongbox trying to get that TAC multiplier is very tough. If it works your playing a game in the area of the centre circle but you can't cover the whole pitch. 

Advice

4 hours ago, naiconn1981 said:

V.Rage will be a forgotten man once S.Brisket is out. ;)

I think Blackheart has a lot more numbers to be benched by sBrisket

I look at vRage as a 2-2 win condition captain. You have strong tools for a first turn goal, whether thats A&G when receiving or Mist when kicking (especially if backed up with Confidence from Strongbox). The early goal is pretty key for the extra inf, and I find I usually get the two takeouts next, then get an opportunistic goal via a snapshot off Greede, or a dodge chain up the field from Decimate. His team has so many threats of both damage and scoring that it's tough to shut them all down, so there will almost always be something you can do to put VPs on your scoreboard.

On 3/21/2017 at 4:27 PM, Kevin Bryant said:

Some good advice and I will try it out. I do find Minx also works well due to the low team infl total and also aids in generating Mom. 

I just find it's hard to force the scrum if the other player doesn't want to play that way. I mean vRage loves an attritional Brewers team but most teams can sactrifice a player or two and either score and/or pick off the edge players while you're just getting your 2VPs. With Rage's lowish speed and then players like Strongbox trying to get that TAC multiplier is very tough. If it works your playing a game in the area of the centre circle but you can't cover the whole pitch. 

Advice

This is one of the many reasons why Gutter is so powerful on vRage. With Chain Grab's 6" range, Gutter's 2" melee, and the extra ~1" from her base, it's very difficult for any team to split up enough to totally invalidate that threat range. Find a big guy with low defense (or knock anyone down with Harry) and you'll get consistent Chain Grabs that will force your opponent into the scrum that they can't possibly beat. I tend to deploy her just off-center, sprint her up the field turn 1, and turn 2 she'll almost always have some work to do. Plus, with Harry and A&G running all over the place, finding that low defense model is rarely difficult.