TheCurkov

Run the Length Ep.4: Alchemists vs Butchers Guild Ball Game Play Commentary Featuring Jordan Nach

Episode 4 of Run the Length is up! Hope you guys enjoy this one! I added a bunch to the draft section let me know if you enjoy it. This week I am playing against the infamous Jordan who clearly needs no introduction.

This time around I would love feedback on the intro to the video. Do you think I need a graphic? Should I just get right into it. Would you like a brief summary of the players accomplishments if any? Etc.

Strictly the Worst Guild Ball Podcast
Game was filmed at Grognard Games in Hoffman Estates. Their website can be found here: http://grognardgames.com/
Follow me on Twitter: @TheCurkov 

4 hours ago, TheCurkov said:

This time around I would love feedback on the intro to the video. Do you think I need a graphic? Should I just get right into it. Would you like a brief summary of the players accomplishments if any? Etc.

I like it as is. No flashy bullshit or visual equivalent of a radio jingle - just straight to the game.

Good presentation as always. Thanks for your efforts!

SPOILER ALERT!!!

It is a pitty that you made a so huge mistake right at the start. That made the rest of the game pretty anticlimatic.

Great video, love the short condensed nature of all your stuff and your commentary is good. Keep up with the format you have it's quick, to the point and unlike any other match reports on youtube at the moment.

At kick off it looks like you guys didn't account for the ball path crossing the wall on Jordan's side of the field, might be the angle but it looks like the ball should have stopped closer to the centre due the ball path from Vitriol passing over the wall.

French viewer here!

Very cool video.

I think it's nice if you add a little context at the beginning of the video.

Like where it was played, in what tournament, who is the player you're facing, if you've faced him already (if's that's relevant). It shouldn't last for more than 2 minutes though.

Aside from that, it's really perfect.

Short, commented, it's just the way it should be.

Very very good value for the time spent watching it.

And on the top of that, I think you have a very clean accent, english-wise. I'm actually pretty good at understand english, so I'm not that concerned, but I feel like your accent is really understandable.

Very cool video.

I think it's nice if you add a little context at the beginning of the video.

Like where it was played, in what tournament, who is the player you're facing, if you've faced him already (if's that's relevant). It shouldn't last for more than 2 minutes though.

Aside from that, it's really perfect.

Short, commented, it's just the way it should be.

Very very good value for the time spent watching it.

And on the top of that, I think you have a very clean accent, english-wise. I'm actually pretty good at understand english, so I'm not that concerned, but your accent is really understandable. I suppose that's mainly cause you clearly make an effort to speak slowly. Keep it that way!

I absolutely love these videos! New alchemist player here. Appreciate that you talk about what your goals for that turn are and how your decisions change.

8 hours ago, Csonti said:

It is a pitty that you made a so huge mistake right at the start. That made the rest of the game pretty anticlimactic.

Yeah but this is just the way it goes sometimes. I feel like I did a decent job of battling back.

6 hours ago, Xoryn said:

At kick off it looks like you guys didn't account for the ball path crossing the wall on Jordan's side of the field, might be the angle but it looks like the ball should have stopped closer to the center due the ball path from Vitriol passing over the wall.

Yup it looks like we did.

6 hours ago, ZergSpirit said:

And on the top of that, I think you have a very clean accent, English-wise. I'm actually pretty good at understand English, so I'm not that concerned, but I feel like your accent is really understandable.

Thanks! You can thank my parents for raising me in the mid-west. We all talk like people on tv over here.

3 hours ago, Clanger said:

A game against Morticians would be nice :)

Would love to play against morticians on the cast but since season 3 all of the ones in my meta have fallen away.

3 hours ago, Frostmane said:

My only criticism of the video is that you call Katalyst "Katie" and vet Katalyst "Joe". I get it, but it's super jarring at first and might take a second for newer players to parse.

Other than that I really like what you're doing and hope you continue!

The Katie/Joe thing I do for a couple reasons. Trying to talk about Kataylst can be annoying since it isn't always obvious which one you are talking about. They are also especially annoying to talk about when you are comparing them (lots of kat, vet kat, kat going on.) Sometimes when reading the script I stumble over the word catalyst and have to rerecord sections of the video which is tiresome. And lastly I tend to work on the script for these videos whenever I have a spare minute, so a lot of it is done on my phone and having quick terms that jive well with auto-correct is insanely helpful. But if enough people voice their dislike of it I will likely change it.

Everyone else thank you for your kind words! Share this with people! I work really hard on these and just want them to reach as many eyes as possible.

PS Is there an online community that I have yet to share this with?

Everything else feels really professional, so Katie/Joe really takes away from that.

Kat/vetKat or whatever would be miles better.

It felt like the talking was a bit more rushed this time than previously, but that might have been just me and my surroundings too.

I liked the format! Very time efficient battle report.

I was a bit confused in the beginning regarding katie/joe. But once I figured it out it didn't particularly mind what you called them.

Also regarding play mistakes and such - it would be pretty boring if mistakes kept anyone from posting content like this. People do make mistakes :) 

( also, mistakes always seem so much easier to spot later, than in the moment x) )

Great Format. Official, clean, concise. No Flash isn't a bad thing at all.

I was really confused about Katie and Joe originally too, but once I figured out what you meant then it was fine. (Honestly thought there were players called Katie and Joe who I didn't know about yet!) I think if you are going to continue to use that substitution you need to make it clear who those names are associated with. Otherwise, I would scrap it.

Great thoughts about Calculus/Compound in the drafting phase. I'm surprised to hear you say the Butchers can't brawl, although I understand that they don't have the staying power that other teams do. I suppose OKat and Harry can do a decent job of putting out damage, but my first thought would not be to try to out fight them...

Not sure I get the reference for Joe.. 

Good report though, like the format much :)

As  suggestion, what are the odds on getting the opponent to join you for the commentary? Might be interesting to here there thoughts on the game, reasoning behind mistakes or unusual plays.