• Announcements

• Mako

Training Ground   02/14/2018

There’s a new section in the guild ball area designed to help rookies, but it needs others to help out - why not write a post for it? Anything that’s good for people to know, whatever faction they’re starting out with!
Steamforged

A Cut Above the Rest: A New Union Captain Arrives!

All we can hope a that lessons were learned from how the campaign, it's narrative outcome and it's effect or lack there of on the models coming out all played out.

From the Union playing side of things I'm a little annoyed with this. Blackheart was changed from a beater captain to a footballing one to make him distinct from Rage. Now a few months later we find we're getting what appears to be an even better football captain.

7 hours ago, Banjulhu said:

All we can hope a that lessons were learned from how the campaign, it's narrative outcome and it's effect or lack there of on the models coming out all played out.

From the Union playing side of things I'm a little annoyed with this. Blackheart was changed from a beater captain to a footballing one to make him distinct from Rage. Now a few months later we find we're getting what appears to be an even better football captain.

I want to see her playbook, but I think BH will still be the better captain. He's not nearly as good a footballer, but he brings a lot more options to the table, at least for the current Union options.

I'm hoping the two new models synergize with this new one to make for two distinctly different Union feels.

9 hours ago, masterkdog said:

Just re-read your final post in the butchers civil war thread, did not read like this............thought you were a dedicated #teamfillet stalwart.

I totally am Team Fillet. I still feel this outcome was more of a reward to my faction and thats what is making a little salty. It really seems like they copped out on the ending. As a reward for trouncing us Fillets the Brisket supporters get a VetOx model they have to play the Captain they voted against to use or a version of their preferred Captain that doesn't work for the Butchers. In my mind, that sucks for any Butchers players who voted for Brisket. It makes sense to give her to the community but it still seems a little lackluster. I suppose my hatred of the Union in general doesn't help. But I'm super glad I'm in the minority. I'd always much rather see people happy either their game then validating my saltiness 

I think the current tournament rules say you can put 1-2 captain models on your roster. Does anyone think this should change to 1-3 so you could include Blackheart, Rage and Brisket? That might be a bit unfair to the other guilds though ...

4 hours ago, ADG said:

I think the current tournament rules say you can put 1-2 captain models on your roster. Does anyone think this should change to 1-3 so you could include Blackheart, Rage and Brisket? That might be a bit unfair to the other guilds though ...

In a 9 players roster, if you could take 3 captains and 2 mascots leaves you with very little to no choices for the rest of the team. I don't think that's very useful

@Banjulhu

The way I see it is that blackheart is the middle ground between rage and brisket. Rage is all about the murder. He can score with models like must but it's like butchers playing football. They can do it but it's not they're focus. 

Blackheart on the other hand can facilitate a good football team but also can bring a bit of fighting. He's got 2" melee with a good playbook and can throw out butchery if he wants. Both can also support his team but not to the extent of rage.

We haven't seen all of briskets card but I don't think they're going to sneak in something like The Owner (she's pretty much out of card space at the moment).

I think it would be great if she could play for ALL Guilds.  1. It would give some guilds *cough* Hunters *cough* a super striker as well as other teams other than Skark, Midas, Smoke.  2. It would make it fair giving each guild a third captain to choose from.  3. It would create some lineup decisions about taking AG or not if you want her on your 9.

I think it makes for an interesting discussion on design space for all guilds - what does a 3rd captain do? In Union case it seems (as stated above) that they positioned BH as the all-rounder, Rage as the beater and Brisket as Footballer. Brisket's existence doesn't diminish Blackheart - when you've seen him use that momentous double dodge to bounce all over the pitch before scoring, you know he still has a place. He, unlike Brisket (probably) can switch up to beating face if required. I think Brisket will be like Shark - all football, zero beating and that will distinguish her from BH.

I wonder what design space exists for other Guilds 3rd captains...

@OctaBit. It's not a deal breaker just an annoyance. I really liked season 1 and 2's Blackheart because he made thematic sense as a beater style captain. Season 3 I feel is just not going to be his shining moment. We're skewing heavily towards goal scoring at the moment which will more than likely favour Brisket over him if not just because she can bring Mist's speed/threat back to where he was last season.

14 minutes ago, EpicChris said:

I think it makes for an interesting discussion on design space for all guilds - what does a 3rd captain do? In Union case it seems (as stated above) that they positioned BH as the all-rounder, Rage as the beater and Brisket as Footballer. Brisket's existence doesn't diminish Blackheart - when you've seen him use that momentous double dodge to bounce all over the pitch before scoring, you know he still has a place. He, unlike Brisket (probably) can switch up to beating face if required. I think Brisket will be like Shark - all football, zero beating and that will distinguish her from BH.

I wonder what design space exists for other Guilds 3rd captains...

It's interesting as you also have the superstar vs support captain dichotomy too.

13 hours ago, THE_DOJO_JAKE said:

I think it would be great if she could play for ALL Guilds.  1. It would give some guilds *cough* Hunters *cough* a super striker as well as other teams other than Skark, Midas, Smoke.  2. It would make it fair giving each guild a third captain to choose from.  3. It would create some lineup decisions about taking AG or not if you want her on your 9.

I understand where youvare coming from but Union got the only veteran captain in Season 2. It effectively removed another model from the pool because they can't take the field together. It makes sense that we get the first 3rd captain.

9 minutes ago, riffbw said:

It effectively removed another model from the pool because they can't take the field together. 

I humbly point out that all the veteran players removed another from the pool. This invalidates the entire premise of your argument. ;)

21 minutes ago, Selfy said:

I humbly point out that all the veteran players removed another from the pool. This invalidates the entire premise of your argument. ;)

I'm guessing he meant that vet and original players for all teams can play for all captains of that Guild in Season 1 and 2.  Union has the issue of Vet Rage captain can't use Rage.  And now in Season 3, Vet Ox has a similar but reverse problem.  

10 hours ago, THE_DOJO_JAKE said:

True but Union had access to more players than any other guild before hand anyway 

Actually no, the Union had the least selectable players of any guild in s1 and the second least in s2. S3's roster selection change is what brought them up to par with the rest of the guilds in terms of total numbers of build options.

13 minutes ago, Khift said:

Actually no, the Union had the least selectable players of any guild in s1 and the second least in s2. S3's roster selection change is what brought them up to par with the rest of the guilds in terms of total numbers of build options.

You're factoring in other guilds access to union as well, I see what you did there...good call

43 minutes ago, LeadDiceandBeers said:

So her downside is that she does basically nothing on her activation unless she scores. Interesting. Even Shark and Midas have things they can do if they aren't scoring, but Triscuit is so ridiculously focused that I'm just not seeing much of anything to do with her other than score goals. Of course, her goal scoring ability is downright absurd... that's a 30" goal threat in the perfect scenario, 28" if your team has the ball. On top of that she can recover the ball like nobody's business, so really barring a tanky close control model nothing is safe.

She feels very Angel like in her function. She will score goals but will not offer much else to the tea. That can be balanced out by a lot of the Union options being quite self sufficient at least.

Mist is an obvious striking partner for her as he can bounce around a lot more to make up for her more linear threats

26 minutes ago, LeadDiceandBeers said:

I wonder what Grace and Benediction will bring to the party.

Me too, they are the player I'm most looking forward to In S3!