• Announcements

• Mako

Training Ground   02/14/2018

There’s a new section in the guild ball area designed to help rookies, but it needs others to help out - why not write a post for it? Anything that’s good for people to know, whatever faction they’re starting out with!
Steamforged

A Cut Above the Rest: A New Union Captain Arrives!

I assume the reason that she was called Union Captain for so long was because the model may not have ended up being Brisket at the end of the Civil War story and the model would have just been someone else... or I suppose that it is possible that she was annoucned as Union Captain because the designers did not want to confirm that is was Brisket before the end of the Civil War campaign even though it was because doing so would indicate that this was all set in stone from the start and the civil war was largely moot.

2 minutes ago, m.jäger said:

so i can only play her in S3? wtf?!

Uh, what'd you expect?

If you mean that you think this model prevents the use of other Briskets, it doesn't. Just story-wise is she no longer Butchers.

EDIT: As for nicknaming, I expect sBrisket will catch on the same way vBrisket has. That's my intention anyways.

First off, sad that she is Brisket, I really wanted to see other story lines develop. Secondly whoa! We nerfed Obs and now this? Assuming her movement isn't god awful, she can move with her character play close to 12 in (and that's probably worse than it really is also not even mentioning what her legendary could do) She gets screamers more easily, I hope scores for fun is a heroic, because if it is passive then you are looking at 8in range 3+ goals that could possibly count for 5 points. So what are her weaknesses? Is it her base move? Is it low Def and Armor? Is it 12 health? Low tac large playbook? Obviously it is too early to tell, but wow! I mean at least Bonesaw, Flint and Midas have some realm of failure.

@DeathlyDrew

She'll probably be similar to Midas in that she has UM but most likely will have 1" melee. So 2" will still be a problem for her. She will also most likely have low-ish health, and she might stay at 4+/1.

As for a name, why not UBrisket. Could be union or even ult brisket. :P

Now a little question regarding the former speculation of who she is: 

Was that Butchers Tattoo on her right shoulder always visible? :D 

EDIT: Just looked up the old picture of Steamcon. It wasn't visible in that. Question answered by myself. Feel free to ignore this. ^^

1 hour ago, Banjulhu said:

I assume the reason that she was called Union Captain for so long was because the model may not have ended up being Brisket at the end of the Civil War story and the model would have just been someone else... or I suppose that it is possible that she was annoucned as Union Captain because the designers did not want to confirm that is was Brisket before the end of the Civil War campaign even though it was because doing so would indicate that this was all set in stone from the start and the civil war was largely moot.

I want to say if Fillet won, we'd have gotten a vFillet for butchers and vOx would've been the Union Captain for the Solthecian thing.  It's all personal theory, but it would've been cool to get a glimpse or hint at what could've been if Fillet won

Perhaps its just the typical gloom and doom when seeing another faction getting a cool model, but as a Butchers player the continuing emphasis on goal scoring as opposed to take outs worries me a lot.  I suppose the regional events coming up will show us how viable murder ball is at this point.

She looks amazing for scoring but looks like she does a lot less for the team than the previous two. It's good that all the captains play very differently. vRage plays offensive and heavily supports his team to that effect, sBrisket plays football but with limited (no?) support for the team and Blackheart holds a nice place in the middle able to play either way and simillarly support the team in attacking and football.

I'm guessing she's going to be 16hp, 4+/1, 1" melee - i.e. nothing that can't be easily overcome. Just from what's been revealed it looks like she's going to suffer pretty bad from the Union's biggest weakness of having limited tricks to control opponents.

37 minutes ago, Henry said:

She looks amazing for scoring but looks like she does a lot less for the team than the previous two. It's good that all the captains play very differently. vRage plays offensive and heavily supports his team to that effect, sBrisket plays football but with limited (no?) support for the team and Blackheart holds a nice place in the middle able to play either way and simillarly support the team in attacking and football.

I'm guessing she's going to be 16hp, 4+/1, 1" melee - i.e. nothing that can't be easily overcome. Just from what's been revealed it looks like she's going to suffer pretty bad from the Union's biggest weakness of having limited tricks to control opponents.

The Bio for the new Solthecian players are up and they seem to fill the support role for her and the others

2 hours ago, The Baron said:

I want to say if Fillet won, we'd have gotten a vFillet for butchers and vOx would've been the Union Captain for the Solthecian thing.  It's all personal theory, but it would've been cool to get a glimpse or hint at what could've been if Fillet won

This was what I'd assumed.  The winner mostly determined who vOx plays for.  

First impressions assuming a standard stat line of MOV 6"/8" TAC 5 KICK 3/8" DEF 4+ ARM 1 INF 4/6 MELEE 1" ~16HP.

Upon first look… holy guacamole she has movement tricks for days. She has absolutely absurd goal threat and it seems as if the ball is rarely safe.

Then I thought about it a bit more. Her tricks (aside from her legendary) are all scenario specific. "I’m open" requires a teammate with the ball in good position. If the team mate is 6” from her at the end of the teammates activation, but for whatever reason just didn’t pass her the ball, I wonder if it is safe to say that teammate could be threatened between activations. "Route One" requires an enemy with the ball. Anyone who has played more than a handful of games against Corsair/Obs knows leaving the ball on the ground is a pretty good tactic. So “I’m Open” seems corner case  or corrective and “Route One” can be shut down for maintenance.

"Worthy Sacrifice" is incredible, but it is a legendary so it should be. Timing this correctly is going to be the key of playing her well. I don’t think you are going to want to simply pop this on turn one for a scoring run.

“With Aplomb” is a playbook result only. I can’t imagine she has very high attack. I am assuming TAC 5. As it is a double GB result I am willing to bet it is in at least her 4th column and you’ll need a charge to get this. Even if you do the Odd VP is only relevant if you do it twice (unlikely) get a mascot kill (probably relevant) or clock out (possibly relevant).

Scores for fun is broke AF and on a plain shot roughly equivalent to a 5/8". I imagine they did it this way because of whatever “Goal of the Month” is going to be. It says it makes a screamer easier so if you do a 3 dice shot on 3s it should still be pretty hard to hit two 6s even with bonus time. I imagine it might be something to the effect of “When resolving a shot, if two or more 5s or 6s are rolled, then the goal counts as a screamer”. If this was a 5/8” model that would be entirely too broken, but a 3/8” hitting on 3s makes it good, but not game breaking. Also mitigates snap shots.

Here is how I see it going down:

Receiving Turn 1) A&G janky goal last activation. Turn 2) brisket legendary swaps with Avarisse (ends up being like 9 inches of movement). If the opponent has the ball on a model you have the option of route one or you can just tackle/score the old fashion way. From here you are probably up 8-0 and play chase the cat, but with Avarisse/Mist on your unactivated it shouldn’t be so hard. There’s also a possibility her legendary can be used to “rescue” greed back into base to base with Avarisse which could be pretty powerful to avoid the takeout / activate many hands.

As always a bit more difficult to predict a kickoff, and screw it, maybe you just take rage for this. Kickoff Turn 1) Mist probably still kicks off since Brisket is going to give him shadowlike. He probably threatens a turn 1 retrieval or goal. Against a scoring team they are probably going to shoot for back to back goal activations across turns, so hopefully Mist can disrupt. Brisket coouuulldd be a really long threat though with an 8” sprint into “Route One” (14”, 20” if Brisket kicks off). Again I think you probably use her Legendary at the top of two because it will let you pull her away from harm then dodge a fatty into a spot where he can be impactful (maybe Fangtooth comes back?!) When you use the legendary to reset her, she might be able to make another bombing run on the goal.

If she has a momentous 1” dodge on her first column that is going to be huge one way or another. I fully expect to see a lot more compound.

Surely cBrisket has to be the way to go: c for captain, and also 3rd letter of the alphabet.

EDIT: now I've read the blog post, sBrisket it is.

Edited by S_A_T_S

She looks like a lot of fun, but I'm not sure how tournament worthy she is. She feels like she will need a full stack of influence which neither of the others two need. She's a selfish captain that doesn't bring much to the team as a whole.

She's going to be a lot of fun and maybe a viable tournament captain when we know more about the other two new models.

38 minutes ago, riffbw said:

She looks like a lot of fun, but I'm not sure how tournament worthy she is. She feels like she will need a full stack of influence which neither of the others two need. She's a selfish captain that doesn't bring much to the team as a whole.

She's going to be a lot of fun and maybe a viable tournament captain when we know more about the other two new models.

I don't know man, the difference between a 2-3 INF vRage and a 4 INF vRage is pretty big.  For the longest time, I wondered why vRage was good (because I was giving him 2-3 INF) and disregarded him.  Until someone destroyed my Blackheart (Season 2) in a tournament with a 4 INF vRage every turn... frightening! :P 

20 hours ago, foolwiththefez said:

Yes. This is what dedicated Butchers players wanted as a reward for voting for Brisket in the civil war: a Captain for a completely different Guild. I submit the whole civil war event had a hugely lame ending and outcome (though I do love Vet Ox)

Just re-read your final post in the butchers civil war thread, did not read like this............thought you were a dedicated #teamfillet stalwart.