Been playing for a while now but first time posting a picture of my first team: The Butchers! Here is Veteran Ox ready for next Saturday's local tournament. I think I've done him justice but eyes are still something I'm not confident painting.

IMG_0217_zpsruqnzi8n.jpg

IMG_0218_zpsqcays78h.jpgURL]URL]

Nice looking paint!  Your deep reds and ruddy skin work for the model.  If you aren't comfortable painting eyes yet you can always return to the model somewhere down the road and add them in later.  Painting eyes takes some practice and requires a fairly light touch;  Thin paint and applying appropriate pressure is almost as important as a steady hand and either of the former makes the latter much easier.

I have been reading up on methods for painting eyes and Sorastro's Painting on Youtube have got some really good tips. Will be attempting to paint eyes when I start a Brisket led Union team (Solthecians).

There is a trick someone showed me that makes it fairly simple to paint eyes:

1. Before you paint the flesh colour, paint the eyes and down onto the top of the cheeks offwhite (this lets you use the brush from below the eye, rather than trying to do it sideways along the narrow eye line, so it's easier to control).

2. Put a line of black down the centre of the offwhite, over the eyes and onto the cheeks (much easier than trying to get a small even dot).

3. Now paint an offwhite line sideways across the top half of the cheek to cover the black there, going up to where the eyes start.

4. Paint the skin colour in to make the eye the right size, and the offwhite on the cheek will brighten the cheekbones a little for some free subtle lighting.

I say offwhite as using real white can make eyes look really wide and staring. Personally I use something like Vallejo model colour deck tan, a slightly creamy pale grey.

On 2017-3-18 at 1:40 AM, Mako said:

There is a trick someone showed me that makes it fairly simple to paint eyes:

Ooh, I like the sound of that, must try it! Although I can imagine myself accidentally painting over the eyes when I do the rest of the face...