Calum Todd

First Light of Solthecius - 2 new union players

6 minutes ago, Subhedgehog said:

I'm struggling to understand what the intent is of Benediction's Impart Wisdom. I'm choking on the wording.

Does this mean if Snakeskin uses Nimble (a Self ranged play that targets a friendly model, Snakeskin), that he can benefit from it? (I doubt this is the intent)

Is it solely to allow models with a character play that states "target other friendly" to target themselves?

Is it meant to be a range extender for any play that has "target friendly model" in the text?

All of those? None? Some?

The intent is something like this:

Vet Rage wants to use Red Fury on Gutter, which is 7" away from him, but within 4" of Benny. He declares the intent to use Red Fury on Gutter, measures the range from Benny, and it succeeds because of this sweet aura. Basically an arc node for friendly character plays. ie. Option 3.

However I think RAW it does nothing, since you can't legally target a model with a character play if a model is out of range, and the trigger for the aura trait is 'when X models makes a character play'. Can't make the play - no aura. 

I don't think there is any jank regarding RNG: S character plays, since these "may only be used on the model that triggers the Character Play." (p37) regardless of the point of origin.

I'm more concerned with the ranged S thing (concerned is the wrong word - I think it's a valid interpretation of the power). The range-extender thing is awkward for both of them, as while origin is discussed as a topic in the rulebook, it is not used in relation to ranges or measurements, but I'm basically accepting "after spending influence but before checking to see if a target model is in range, you can change the origin and hence measure the range from there" as the interpretation.

ETA: @JS riiight. I see the "triggers" wording, but look at what they have for "origin" on page 13.

21 minutes ago, Subhedgehog said:

I'm more concerned with the ranged S thing (concerned is the wrong word - I think it's a valid interpretation of the power). The range-extender thing is awkward for both of them, as while origin is discussed as a topic in the rulebook, it is not used in relation to ranges or measurements, but I'm basically accepting "after spending influence but before checking to see if a target model is in range, you can change the origin and hence measure the range from there" as the interpretation.

ETA: @JS riiight. I see the "triggers" wording, but look at what they have for "origin" on page 13.

You might be on to something - the idea would be that because Benny becomes the origin, he is essentially the one doing the triggering, so can benefit from Nimble or whatever. 

I don't know why they didn't phrase it with "target other friendly model" though. That seems to be a common mishap that would avoid this.

I like that brisket can potentially im open the ball from 12 inches away. She has to do it twice but it could get stupid janky. Say the ball scattered to mist 12 inches away from brisket and ben is in between. Brisket im opens using ben as the origin. Mist kicks to ben. Brisket im opens again from ben. If shes fully loaded she still has 2 to run and shoot. Alternatively she could im open through ben have him drop the ball after recieving, legendary, have brisket pick it up, etc. You get the idea. Imaginations the limit.  

3 hours ago, Refused8778 said:

I like that brisket can potentially im open the ball from 12 inches away. She has to do it twice but it could get stupid janky. Say the ball scattered to mist 12 inches away from brisket and ben is in between. Brisket im opens using ben as the origin. Mist kicks to ben. Brisket im opens again from ben. If shes fully loaded she still has 2 to run and shoot. Alternatively she could im open through ben have him drop the ball after recieving, legendary, have brisket pick it up, etc. You get the idea. Imaginations the limit.  

I'm Open is once per turn and you can't drop the ball outside of a models activation.

8 minutes ago, rickybobby17b said:

So can anyone put up a pic of these two from the rulebook? I'm waiting on mine to come in looking like not till monday

I will be Just taken down, not released from a official source, go check out the Facebook Supporters page .

1 minute ago, Kueller said:

I will be Just taken down, not released from a official source, go check out the Facebook Supporters page .

The book is actually out now, though. It's hit the street date, there's no reason why they should be taking it down.

Just now, Khift said:

The book is actually out now, though. It's hit the street date, there's no reason why they should be taking it down.

They need to put It on the Collected Spoilers section or It will be taken down

2 minutes ago, Kueller said:

They need to put It on the Collected Spoilers section or It will be taken down

Frankly that's ridiculous. It's like they don't want people to talk about the products they're selling. As it is it'll be at least Monday before that happens and that's being optimistic.

And the worst part is there's no reason for it to be in the spoilers forum because it's not a spoiler any more. They have sold products that have this information; the cat's out of the bag.

If it's released (which it is as of yesterday), it's totally fine - it's only unreleased cards you can't post (which is why the official preview section exists).

Even my rules aren't that crazy! :D

Edit: If they haven't been put up by the time I've arrived at Salute, picked up the book, read some of it, and can figure out how to post them from my phone, I'll try and do it myself. That could take a while though, my controls have many extra buttons and they're all so damn tiny...

If I understand Bennys CP correctly... trigger Snakeskins Clone and Nimble, and he will be eternal.

EDIT: Any information if they are able to play for other guilds aswell?

2 hours ago, Cole said:

If I understand Bennys CP correctly... trigger Snakeskins Clone and Nimble, and he will be eternal.

EDIT: Any information if they are able to play for other guilds aswell?

I believe it is only supposed to be used as a range extended for targeted buffs/plays. The language on it might need to be cleaned up to be more clear. If he CAN take self only buffs then he will be an absolute monster. 

2 minutes ago, Ziggy said:

Does anyone know who they work for yet? Or will that be announced somewhere?

Teams have cards now for which Union players will work for them now - the season 3 cards are out for all teams apart from Farmers.

1 hour ago, FearLord said:

Teams have cards now for which Union players will work for them now - the season 3 cards are out for all teams apart from Farmers.

Most likely if they play with other teams they will come with replacement team cards for those teams. That's my bet, at least.

That said, if Grace and Benediction play for different teams then it is really weird to offer them for sale together. The starter set already does this, that's true, but I've heard a lot of kvetching in my personal play groups over having to buy two models the player doesn't want to get the one model they do. If that is a consideration in SFG's mind then either the play for all teams (unlikely), they play for the same set of teams (very unlikely), or they play for no other teams (likely).

On 4/22/2017 at 5:21 PM, Khift said:

If that is a consideration in SFG's mind then either the play for all teams (unlikely), they play for the same set of teams (very unlikely), or they play for no other teams (likely).

I realy hope they are Union only. Then I can finally pull the trigger and make Union my secondary team and focus on these beautiful churchy fellows. 

Just now, Kueller said:

They will be Pure Guild and won't play for any other Guild

Would also bet on this.

They are the glorious Church and no low life Sellsword. In some way, they took control of the Union, but they aren't The Union, they are Solthecian

Just now, Sonny said:

Would also bet on this.

They are the glorious Church and no low life Sellsword. In some way, they took control of the Union, but they aren't The Union, they are Solthecian

That my thoughts too!

Grace seems decent - generating 3 influence, even if 2 of it is stuck to her, is pretty strong. Lots of momentum on the playbook, her plays are good, and Quick Foot can extend goal and charge threats reasonably well. She's underwhelming as an actual striker with only 2 dice and no way to reasonably get out from under a 2" melee, but she'll at least do something relevant each turn.

Benediction just seems bad though. His playbook is reminiscent of Harry's but the KD is so much harder to get to, only one momentous damage result, and he's slower. The only thing he has going for him is some ball-holding tools, but I'm not impressed by it at all. a 3+/4 statline for one attack is funny, and Poised for the follow up is a good combo. But this model will never score points, and spending influence only to not lose is basically never where you want to be when starting a lineup.