RyanL4

Dark Souls Effectiveness Excel Sheet

Hi everyone, I was referred to the forum by a redditor names serendipity (reddit username). I shared my idea of creating an excel sheet that would keep a running history of the rolls each profession of character makes. Essentially it breaks down to the effectiveness of each player for their rolls of the black, blue, orange, and green dies. It also keeps track of the deaths of the human players and even so of the NPCs! It goes without saying that this is all manually entered data and simply will allow you to see which characters you are most effective with. I have the preliminary excel sheet already created and ready for distribution to you all if you are interested. My goals are to share it with as many people that would like to get involved and we can fine tune the sheet as a community rather than me alone. This is all based off the rule book that I downloaded from the website and was created to the best of my knowledge of the gameplay explained in the PDF. Maybe after a while of using this Excel sheet we can all die just a little less. 

Let me know what you think guys! 

Ryan

Hey there, thanks for the effort, but you may want to translate it into a google doc or something. People tend to be careful about random file downloads, which is understandable I guess. I know you mean no harm, but it makes it safer and easier to access.

Anyways, thanks you for your work again.

Okay will do. Do you mean put the excel file on my Google doc and then share it as a URL or do you mean transfer the excel sheet to Google's own type of excel and share it that way? 

Or am I completely misunderstanding you? I'd like to get as many people on board so we can develop this workbook as a community. 

I don't understand exactly what you're tracking. The dice that are rolled are dependent on equipment, not characters. And the average roll of each color dice can easily be simulated 100,000 times or more (or less if you want more swingy, realistic numbers). It's also a simple affair to roll a combination of different dice colors together and simulate that in excel. Once we find out what each side of the different color dice are I could run that for you, or show you how.

Thanks for the reply! I agree with you that you could go the route of simulating 1000 rolls. If you want to take my sheet and apply your thoughts to it I would encourage you to do so. However this is the goal of the sheet in just a few words: character effectiveness based off YOUR gameplay. In its essence the excel sheet was made in mind to keep a history of your personal luck. Also I thought it was important to keep in mind that you will play the game and lose the game at different point in that specific game's progress. Meaning that every time you play the game you aren't going to win or lose at the exact same time. This means that the armor and weapons that your character has throughout the game will change. The excel sheet could show you exactly which character is the best if we did a simulation and we assume that all characters are holding the best combination of armor. I agree with your stance but i was trying to avoid that direction because I care more about how I play rather than what the simulation states.

hopefully that makes sense, but I have based this whole sheet off of the rule book and with no real experience with the game. So maybe the sheet is entirely useless, it's hard to say.

-Ryan

I see. 

I'm not interested in logging every dice roll I make in every game I play of Dark Souls. It would be interesting determine the optimal gear setup for each class that requires the least amount of souls investment. However, I doubt that would affect strategy and tactics too much in any given run through as the treasure deck is so massive that I can't imagine anyone being able to play the game as if they were planning to run through with a certain load out. It seems more realistic that players are going to have to discuss and respond to every treasure flip.

However, upon thinking further, it may be feasible to group the equipment cards into class categories to aid in decision making during play. So if one sees a certain item they know it's priority for the assassin, or whatever. However, in one interview with SFG, a player remarked how surprised he was that his assassin turned into a "ninja mage" as none of the players in the table had planned that path for him, it just kind of happened and turned out awesome. Maybe the assassin is naturally more adept at magic (requiring less souls investment for intelligence) or perhaps the treasure flips had high dodge (intelligence) treasure that meshed well with the assassins OPS skill and by the time some spells came out the assassin was already specced for it and just went with it.

In any case, this is fun to think about.

Regards.