Sign in to follow this  
DeathlyDrew

Morts extinct in Vegas

3 hours ago, Cole said:

Which is also the reason why I went for the 6 takeout strategy, and it worked out fine. Doesn't really work anymore though. The two Influence are missing, the one max and the one from PM. That list was finetuned, and now it's gone. :/ And sadly that was the List I was good with. Mh, maybe that's the main problem I am having currently. 

^  ^  ^  ^  ^
                           |   |   |   |   |

THIS

I think that may be right. Because I came in late to S2 and had Mist as my only Union, so I had to use all Morts, there was no Silence, Obs, Dirge and then Rage Mist and A&G, I mean heck I never even used A&G when they had separate turns, they have always been back to back for me. Cosset has always been a killer and on my list, Silence has never done much for me except the occasional Tucked or shutout. Graves is a breath of fresh air, Casket has seen play time since I painted him and Scalpel has always been around to give second thought to Obs.

I can't disagree with certain things, and I fully agree with what you said about Obs being the "lamest" captain in terms of what he can actually do, but I think that is why he only comes out now for me against certain teams that he can take, or need that "Oh crap he just made me pass it to him and now my strategy is gone." Also 2in reach is nice considering the fact that Morts don't have much in that area, and the ones that do there are not great knockdown options except Ghast.

I think Morts could use some help, but I would say they are still viable, they just need some time to relearn.

I need to carve out some time to start writing some blog posts with my mortician experience. I did not play them a ton in S2 and S1, and when I did I was only "ok" with them. That said, I'm actually finding them more effective for me playing tournament games in S3. I'm strongly considering moving to them over my union, with Obulus taking center stage over Scalpel. That said, I've only played 2 tournaments so far this year, 1 where went 3/1, losing at the top table and 1 where I was undefeated but it was a more casual event that ended with 3 undefeated players (I came in 3rd due to close differential).

My 9 have been:

• Obulus
  • Scalpel
  • Dirge
  • Cosset
  • Graves
  • A&G
  • Casket
  • Silence
  • Ghast

My most common lineup has been:

• Obulus
  • Dirge
  • Cosset
  • Graves
  • A&G
  • Casket

Casket's 4 point kill is a key portion of my play. Obulus ends up with 5 every turn, 7 sometimes. Cosset is my killer, and A&G are typically good for an early goal. I kick-off with Obulus, aiming to get the ball back during the turn. Tooled up is typically used t1/t2 then Graves tends to float around with 1-2 influence and look for areas to grab the ball back with him low tackle. A&G are good for a turn 1 goal, then A doles out singled out to targets while waiting for G to get back into B2B. I'm often looking to leave a key target on 1-3 health then start the turn with initiative and Casket putting them in the box. Best if I can do that to a captain, otherwise it ends up being a key target (Midas, Vitriol, Vet. Kat, Kat, Hooper, Friday, Vet. Rage have all been in the box).

18 hours ago, Mattyg2787 said:

How do you find that lineup vs teams that can just straight up delete a player? Or brewer's who can generally take whatever you throw at them?

I haven't had issues with them yet. Playing through my activation order and aiming to engage on my side of the midline often lets me also "delete" a player with cosset. Some of the challenges which come up surround ranged character plays targeting obulus. Esters plus tooled up can often cause early problems for me.

much of the Mort game comes down to playing the table state, which can cause a challenge for most people. They excell around control and really rely on setup to work best. Nicely, they can screw with other teams who need the same setup.

I've found that the earlier season mantra still holds true. Keep a close eye on threat ranges, get the ball, go late with Obulus, hold his legendary until it's necessary, set-up your targets.

20 hours ago, Nix said:

I've found that the earlier season mantra still holds true. Keep a close eye on threat ranges, get the ball, go late with Obulus, hold his legendary until it's necessary, set-up your targets.

That is very true. I used him as a beatstick again with tooled up, and Casket was a little meany, circleing around the hunters and KD and engage Chaska, just to beat his ass with TU Obulus and 7 Influence. He still can do his stuff, sometimes you just need to weigh if you want to use him first or last. And his Rigor Mortis still threatens enough to make the enemy waste their momentum. 

On the other hand, if it is used to great effect it is not wasted. :D 

Steamforged is fine-tuning the team balance.  In a way, it's a little troubling they went a bit overboard on tweaks this season...kicking teams could have been a little stronger.  Now they seem too strong.  Morticians could have been a little weaker.  Now they seem too weak.  For me, the biggest issue is giving the team that goes second a bonus Momentum.  It's a good idea, and feels fair, but it changes the entire character of the game, and fundamentally changes the value of some important Mortician pieces like Ghast and Silence.  In any case, I'm not losing sleep over it, as I play casually with friends, and not in tournaments.  Still, it's a shame their internal play testing didn't catch and fix this.

I played 5 games with the same list.

Obulus, dirge, cosset, graves, mist, brainpan & memory.

Played into ballista engineers, 2x smoke alchs both with vet kat(henry kay and jamie giblin both with harry), shark fish (no hag but did have siren, angel and greyscales), and honour masons.

Managed to avoid the morts mirror against jamie p who lost to jamie giblin round 4 who was running old school morts similar to charles.

A strong field and a good day. Morts are just fine. Highlights of the day....cosset is a beast!! She totally wrecked lots of stuff herself with good postioning or contributed with a lure for a tooled up memory to 1round flask in the first turn of the final to win initiative. Obulus support and tricks still good, confidence and charge vet kat for the kd super fun and piles on the damage.

Alchs is a tough match up for sure but manageable.

Dam it, I think I really need to get Cosset back in. 

How'd you find bpm? I'm liking them but still a little lost. 

And glad I'm not the only one liking mist 

51 minutes ago, Mattyg2787 said:

How'd you find bpm? I'm liking them but still a little lost. 

One could say they are very regular and steady. Good tempo control.

B+m have a great goal threat after the first turn and opponent actions dependant.

Mainly used them for the mobile crowding out, blocking charge paths or reliable damage and mp generation. In the games i played it was generally better to play with mist as a goal scorer due to wanting to play further back and puppet or lure opponents in and mist again with puppet has some extreme range. Also using the puppet to stop unpredictable away is nice

its interesting how far the 4 inf puppet threat is, about 19" away from goal. Which is pass to brainpan and dodge 4" (15" away) spawn the little monstrosity when you activate at the edge of 2" (within not completely within, puts the little monster about 12" from the goal not 13"), then you get 8" of dodges from pass puppet puppet which puts you in goal range. Main point being that plenty of strikers i have experience with have a sub 19" threat range and i've still been fine with them, and their movement doesn't consist entirely of dodges that don't care about movement slowing effects.

this is assuming someone killed memory, if they didn't kill memory its even easier because you can get 10" of dodges from activation, pass, puppet puppet and because its all dodges opponents models don't matter that much unless they are a physical roadblock. i actually really like how flexible memory is due to all mom damage playbook options

Mist is quite obviously the better striker, but i can't help but think BPM edges her out due to sitting at snapshot range with no consequences if the puppet dies, automatically disengaging either through brainpans dodges on a later turn or just by natural puppet moves, and the flexibility of all those momentous damage playbook results.

that's if you had to choose between them, which you might when models like Cosset are fighting for spots in the team too

Memories goal threat is 10-14" at the start of brainpans activation. 10" if someone else starts the activation with the ball (I'm open, walk, pass to memory, dodge, shoot)

If brainpan starts with it, the puppet threatens 14"(2 inf dodges + 2 start of activation + 4" pass dodge)