• Announcements

• Mako

Training Ground   02/14/2018

There’s a new section in the guild ball area designed to help rookies, but it needs others to help out - why not write a post for it? Anything that’s good for people to know, whatever faction they’re starting out with!
Captain Jerry

Beating the Brewers

I have a friend, whom in our league is whooping all our buts with his brewers. He plays the starter from the Kick Off, Tapper, Hooper, Friday, Stave, Spigot and Scum. I need help getting the edge on him because he seems unstoppable. There so many knockdowns I can't keep my team up to actually get anything done. I usually run Fillet, Princess, Boiler, Brisket, but the others I have switched around trying to find a weakness. Again, any help will be appreciated  

Abuse Stave.  Stave has matchups where he's good but I don't think Fillet is one of them.  Get a nimble character onto him and farm tons of momentum in the process, which you can use to clear all the knockdowns.  Shank is a good option for that, but Fillet can do the work herself.  Spigot1 and then Friday should be your "kill targets", and pay attention to the ball because the Butchers won't win a pitched battle against Tapper - breaking away and scoring is worth the same as two kills while costing *significantly* less influence and time.

Against Tapper I'd field something like

Fillet Princess Boiler Shank Brisket1 Boar/Meathook/AG/Harry depending on how they drafted and what union I picked that day.

Spigot is always the target when you're playing brewers. He's probably the best player in GB in S3, in terms of what he brings for the rest of the team, but he's easy to kill and has a pretty average threat range. Fillet can quite readily take him out in a single activation, Ox can under his legendary, and it's likely you out-range him.

Stave is another big piece to know how to play up to. Work out what his threat range is with that barrel and stay out of it. They real key is to stay where the barrel can't push you into a terrible position (off the board or pushing you 4" towards their scrum), but accepting that you might have to accept a poor position (push away from the melee). Fillet is great because she can sit where Stave can only use the barrel to push her away, and then be able to get back into him if he uses it against her (7.5" range +4" push vs 11" charge with quick foot or bleed, or 13" with both and 1" melee). Do this last activation and you can go first next turn for even more MP and damage and can probably kill him. If your oppo puts anyone near stave you can use him to trigger effects against others (its a really good way to trigger dirty knives and thousand cuts on someone difficult to hit, and area effects like blood rain and scything blow).

Your advantage over brewers is your speed. You need to make sure you use it to your advantage, to isolate targets and hit-and-run to avoid being ganged up on as that's what the brewers love. Keeping the ball away from them helps as Friday's a little better a striker than even original Brisket and they can use the ball for extra movement, so beware letting them get hold of it. Either brisket, but especially the original, is a good way to kill the ball with unpredictable movement and charmed (although against brewers the extra 2" movement vet briskets gets can be very useful).

Beware counter attacks. They have both early KDs and pushes, so they can really cause problems with counter attacks. move into b2b to minimise push problems (although a >> is a problem to a 1" melee model whatever) and make sure you take a momentous result if they've declared a counter attack.

Cheerio,

Ben

Never always sometimes

Anyways, the Brewers cannot stand toe to toe with the Butchers. Obviously tough hide will take it's toll on your damage output, so make sure you mitigate it by having Boiler bloody them up for Fillet and have princess in place to buff the kid as well.

I think you should fill out your team with Meathook, possibly the best S3 revision, and Boar. 'Hook synergizes very well with Fillet, and who else does so much with 1 net hit? -1 Def, Bleeding, and 1 Momentum? She will help negate the Brewers' tough hides. Boar? Just unleash him. 

Make good use of your momentum to mitigate the knockdowns. They can knock you down easily on counter attacks, so make sure you save your "Take a Breather" so you can just pop back up and continue eviscerating them.

You could use Rage in place of Boar to maximize the amount of bleed, but I like the Beast's 2" melee better.

Make sure that you make effective use of Brisket, Vet if you have her, to stop the score threats and to threaten your own scores. The trio of Fillet, Brisket, and Meathook bring a level of ball control and passing consistency that is well above average for the Butchers.

Show those boozers what for! 

Geesh for the most part as a Brewer I hate seeing Butchers. They do much more damage than the Brewers, have better defenses, and have the same if not better ball skills. You will only see tough hide on one (Hooper) or maybe two (Tapper) models. IT is very risky for Stave to be on the pitch. This is a terrible matchup for the Brewers. The Brewers like to be in a scrum, which is a also where Ox wants to be and where Fillet's AOE does the most damage. Meathook is downright insane against Brewers as they already have very low defenses to begin with. Adding in a -1 DEF that can not be shaken is brutal. The Butchers will also often out threat the Brewers. The KD becomes much less effective because of how much momentum the Butchers can generate to clear it. As others pointed out Fillet has a massive threat range and can farm momentum. With Boiler's buff she is Defense 6 which is ridiculous given her other stats. She can easily erase one Brewer at the end of a turn and then immediately destroy one the beginning of the next.

On 1/23/2017 at 0:19 PM, wrenwood said:

Geesh for the most part as a Brewer I hate seeing Butchers. They do much more damage than the Brewers, have better defenses, and have the same if not better ball skills. You will only see tough hide on one (Hooper) or maybe two (Tapper) models. IT is very risky for Stave to be on the pitch. This is a terrible matchup for the Brewers. The Brewers like to be in a scrum, which is a also where Ox wants to be and where Fillet's AOE does the most damage. Meathook is downright insane against Brewers as they already have very low defenses to begin with. Adding in a -1 DEF that can not be shaken is brutal. The Butchers will also often out threat the Brewers. The KD becomes much less effective because of how much momentum the Butchers can generate to clear it. As others pointed out Fillet has a massive threat range and can farm momentum. With Boiler's buff she is Defense 6 which is ridiculous given her other stats. She can easily erase one Brewer at the end of a turn and then immediately destroy one the beginning of the next.

This.

I don't know how the Butchers ever lose to the Brewers.  The Meatheads do everything better. I hate playing against them. It's damn near an auto-lose.

Having never lost a game to Brewers I can tell you, Brewers think they got a fighting game, but Butchers are on a whole other level! My s3 lineup consists of Fillet, Truffles, Meathook, vOx, Brisket and either minx, boiler, shank or tenderiser.

Take the time to pick your target, when you spot a chance. Also a tapper team wants a scrum to get plenty of knockdowns, you want a scrum to spread blood rain. If you can get a kill with vOx, tool fillet up with Meathook, get some bleeds on the board with Meathook and let a +3 dmg Fillet run riot. I managed to take vet katalyst off the board with 2inf with this set up. The damage output is scary. Brewers can't contend with it. If he's fielding stave, ensure you aren't bunched up, and punish stave when he's vulnerable. He's like an mp piggybank. Murdering Spigot, Friday and stave should be relatively easy. You should be able to kill these 3 in 1 turn easily.