@Joplick

1. I guess it is meant to be in the same activiation, but the text is not free of potential misunderstanding... If the text is more clear in the final product, great. At this state I assume it's final and I want to make sure that I understand the rule correctly to don't run into that question when the game is finally on my table! :)

2. I agree... But in the end he still turned before the move, which likely was just an oversight, but still... :P;)

3. I think so too, and probably the text is also subject to change, but how stated currently, it's not 100% clear (to me).

Even though it seems like I overanalyze a sentence, I don't really do. I read a sentence, look at the options it provides spontaneously and then in situations like these (where I feel like they didn't really mean it with all these outcomes in mind) I wonder if I'm really supposed/allowed to do certain things and rather ask than guess how it likely was meant to be...

On 2/22/2017 at 11:35 PM, Joplick said:

1. In some podcast interviews the warrior once per spark ability was discussed. It gives a free move and attack to be used during the turn it was activated. Apparently there is some depth of strategy in using it as someone on the design team said that just recently he discovered a new strategy with it even after playing so many times in play test and development. Also, keep in mind that according to the latest update, that player board is not the final production copy and some text may have changed.

3. Again, this was discussed briefly in a podcast interview. All the cards, including the heat up card that was just resolved and any other discarded cards get shuffled together and the deck starts fresh.

Thanks for this, it answers the questions I came here for.

Can you provide a link to the podcast interviews you're referring to?

Thought of a few questions:

1) What happens to the Ember card if it is drawn and used to gain an Ember token? Is it stuck in the inventory, is it shuffled back into the treasure deck, or (what I initially assumed) is it placed at the bottom of the treasure deck?

2) What happens if you move onto a trapped node, and dodge-move onto another trapped node? I'm assuming here that what was said about push attack dodges, "If you fail the dodge you get pushed from the node you're standing on having made your dodge move, away from the attacker which you attempted to dodge." also applies to trap dodges, i.e. that in the case of a failed dodge, the player acts as if they did not dodge-move even if the model has physically moved. But if the player succeeds in avoiding the trap, and moves onto another trapped node, the player can then choose to dodge the second trap, and essentially roll around dodging traps as long as they have stamina to do so. The order of events in this case would be: move to a trapped node -> trigger the trap -> choose to dodge -> pay 1 stamina -> move to a second trapped node -> dodge roll for the first trap -> fail the roll -> move back to the first node without triggering the second trap -> take damage. Or, move to a trapped node -> trigger the trap -> choose to dodge -> pay 1 stamina -> move to a second trapped node -> dodge roll for the first trap -> succeed the roll -> trigger the second trap -> choose to dodge -> pay 1 stamina -> move to a third trapped node -> etc. (Of course, it's possible to dodge in place, but where's the fun in that?)

3) I want to make sure that I have trap priority figured out. Consider a scenario where an enemy launches a push attack on a character, and that character can choose to dodge and move to another node, but would trigger a trapped node. This is a technically complicated situation because there are a lot of factors which affect player movement, some of which might lead to the trap-hopping scenario described above. I assume that:

• When an attack occurs and the player chooses to dodge, the first thing that happens is that the player pays 1 stamina and chooses to either move to an adjacent node or stay on the current one.
  • If the dodge fails and the player dodge-moved, the player acts as if the dodge move did not happen and resolves the damage source relative to the model's initial node.
  • Traps can only resolve once the player is committed to move to the trapped node; that is, if any player is standing on an un-triggered trap immediately after an enemy attack is resolved.

So in a scenario where the player dodge-moves onto a trap to avoid a push attack, I'm assuming the order of operations would be: enemy attack -> choose to dodge -> pay 1 stamina -> move to a trapped node (doesn't trigger immediately, because we don't commit to this movement until the attack resolves) -> dodge roll for the push attack -> fail the roll -> move back to the initial node without triggering the trap -> (now we are considered to have been hit) take damage -> get pushed (say the player goes back to the trapped node) -> trigger the trap -> choose to dodge -> pay 1 stamina -> move to another trapped node -> etc. (or stay on the node).

Just making sure all this checks out. I'm sure it will be more clear in the finalized rule book. Sorry for the super-long post :/

http://www.thed6generation.com//d6g-ep-202-dark-souls-preview-guildball-hotness-steamcon-2016

I believe the Dark Souls goodness in this one starts at 1 hr 45 min mark (according to information on the page I linked to).

http://gamerslounge.coda.net/2016/12/21/gamers-lounge-ep-133-dark-souls-the-board-game/

I remember liking this one more. The whole podcast is Dark Souls and it's like 3 hours. They interview two of the designers IIRC.

Both of these podcasts give all sorts of lovely information about the game and its development process. Enjoy.

1. I don't know. Embers haven't really been discussed. They are related more to the invaders expansion as having an ember token triggers the invader being mixed into the encounter deck.

2. Regarding your questions surrounding dodging. If you choose to dodge you pay the one stamina because you will be moving one space, regardless of whether you succeed or fail the roll. There is no option to not move in a dodge. This makes dodging more like the video game and more tactical because regardless of whether you timed it right, you gain a positional advantage on your opponent. Perhaps keeping that in mind will help resolve some of your questions surrounding it. Your description of the trap chain (when including the correct rules for dodging) sounds reasonable to me, it is how I would play. If a trap is triggered, a dodge roll needs to be made immediately, that just makes thematic sense. And if the player dodges into another trap, they need to react to it immediately as well. 

22 minutes ago, Joplick said:

http://www.thed6generation.com//d6g-ep-202-dark-souls-preview-guildball-hotness-steamcon-2016

I believe the Dark Souls goodness in this one starts at 1 hr 45 min mark (according to information on the page I linked to).

http://gamerslounge.coda.net/2016/12/21/gamers-lounge-ep-133-dark-souls-the-board-game/

I remember liking this one more. The whole podcast is Dark Souls and it's like 3 hours. They interview two of the designers IIRC.

Both of these podcasts give all sorts of lovely information about the game and its development process. Enjoy.

1. I don't know. Embers haven't really been discussed. They are related more to the invaders expansion as having an ember token triggers the invader being mixed into the encounter deck.

Thanks for the reply! I haven't seen those podcasts so that will be fun to listen to. Makes sense that Embers are related to Invaders, strange they left them in the Core game though. That raises some more questions: whether or not you can choose to keep the Ember in your inventory without using it (to prevent Invaders from spawning), whether you can put it back in the inventory to draw another treasure card (again to prevent Invaders), and why there are Ember tokens in the first place if you could just keep the card itself on your character board. We'll probably get more answers as Wave 2 approaches.

22 minutes ago, Joplick said:

2. Regarding your questions surrounding dodging. If you choose to dodge you pay the one stamina because you will be moving one space, regardless of whether you succeed or fail the roll. There is no option to not move in a dodge. This makes dodging more like the video game and more tactical because regardless of whether you timed it right, you gain a positional advantage on your opponent. Perhaps keeping that in mind will help resolve some of your questions surrounding it. Your description of the trap chain (when including the correct rules for dodging) sounds reasonable to me, it is how I would play. If a trap is triggered, a dodge roll needs to be made immediately, that just makes thematic sense. And if the player dodges into another trap, they need to react to it immediately as well. 

Page 22: "Dodge (1 Stamina) – During an enemy’s activation, when a character is attacked by the enemy, the character may move 1 node and roll to dodge (see ‘Enemy Attacks’, p. 25)." Page 25: "To make a dodge roll: 1. Look at the enemy data card (or the boss’s behaviour card) to determine the dodge difficulty of the attack. 2. The character must spend 1 Stamina and can move 1 node." (Emphasis added) I interpreted that to mean the player is not obligated to move to an adjacent node during a dodge, but on a re-read I can see how it would be meant otherwise. From a video game standpoint, it makes sense for moving to be mandatory during a dodge. So I'm willing to concede that I totally misinterpreted that part.

Edited by scifidownbeat
clarification

Yeah.. that could be worded better. For example, "During an enemy's activation, when a character is attacked by an enemy, the character may choose to dodge. If they choose to dodge, they spend one stamina to move one space and roll a number of dodge dice according to their currently equipped equipment."

I'm surprised, after all these questions I came up with, that I didn't get to these quite obvious ones too! :D

Both the Ember card and the Dodge question are valid questions I think. There is no word on where to put that Ember card (only if all players already have such a token - shuffled back in treasure deck), and in all sentences about Dodge it always uses the wording "may" or "can", like it's on purpose and thereby optional. I guess, like Joplick I've never questioned it, thinking about the video game. But by just reading the rules, I think this needs clarification. Other questions about Dodge were already answered by Alex from SFG in a way, that it hints kind of in the direction of "must move", but who knows!? :)

About the trap question I also think that it just works like Joplick mentioned.

You move onto a face-down trap node -> trap triggered -> dodge attempt -> (Considering the "must move") move 1 node -> If failed: Take damage, If succeeded: No damage -> If moved onto a face-down trap node with that previous dogde -> trap triggered -> dodge attempt -> (Considering the "must move") move 1 node -> If failed: Take damage, If succeeded: No damage -> If moved onto a face-down trap node with that previous dogde -> trap triggered -> dodge attempt -> etc... -> loop until you finaly have triggered all traps :lol: or decide to move on one with no or a triggered trap (like onto the one you attempted to dodge previously)

I also would have another question related to:

Page 24:

"When an enemy model is moving away from another model, it will stop moving when there are no nodes farther from its target (which usually only happens when the enemy has backed into a corner) ."

1. Since the player decides where the model/encounter is moving to, what if the AI card is saying that it moves 2 nodes away from it's target. There are situations where the encounter could move away in a direction where it could move those 2 nodes, but at the same time in another direction where it could only move 1 node, where it ends up in the corner and any other move wouldn't increase the distance to it's target, so it stops there. May I choose to let it move that 1 node in the corner (even though it has a movement of 2 away from the target)? Or do I have to choose a direction where it can move those 2 nodes away from the target, if there is such an option?

2. Or if the encounter starts in such a corner and could move 2 nodes, but the first move wouldn't increase (and obviously wouldn't decrease) the distance, while the second actually would. Does the encounter move? Or will he stay in place? If, would he also move if he could only move 1 node, which means that one step without increasing/decreasing the distance?

If the ennemy is blocked into a corner, I see no reason to help him escaping.

The game offers us the way to play with ennemy movements, for the benefits of the player.

This is probably one of the way we can learn from combats.

On 24.2.2017 at 2:08 PM, Arcueid said:

If the ennemy is blocked into a corner, I see no reason to help him escaping.

But my question was not if I should help if he is blocked (and if he is surrounded by traps, it's probably better for the player to help him out of there so to speak), rather if I can decide him to put him in that position, even though I deny him his full movement of 2 as in the given example. If he would only have 1 movement in that situation, I think by rule I certainly can take advantage out of that by putting him there, but if I even deny him to move the full distance he could move away from me, that's the thing I'm not sure...

Your question 1 I'm not curious about. The quote you provided clearly states that the enemy will stop movement once it reaches a corner during the movement in its turn. However, your question 2 is one that I've been curious about. I personally plan on playing where if an enemy has a movement of 2 or higher and is in a corner against a player with a spear 1 space away, they will choose to start moving along the wall to another corner. It probably doesn't matter much either way because the chase to the archer is over, but it is an interesting scenario.

I don't think the dodge/move question is an assumption. If there is an option to move, it shouldn't be after you pay the one stamina. Frankly, paying one stamina for a low chance of negating the damage dealt is not fair. If one blocks all damage, they don't lose one stamina. Paying one stamina for the chance to dodge is essentially taking one temporary damage for that chance, and one out of ten damage is quite a high price to pay just to roll dice. It just doesn't make sense to me to not move, the movement is what makes the stamina cost worth it, because even if the roll goes bad, the temporary damage is worth it for the tactical advantage. If I don't want to move, I would nearly always take the block chance to the dodge chance, I'd rather have a guaranteed damage reduction for no stamina cost than a risky damage mitigation for one stamina (which, in effect, increases the damage I receive by one point!).

I'm wondering, do I - by rule - have to use both doorways from the Bonfire tile or could I also have setups with only one doorway from the Bonfire tile actually being connected to one of the other 4 tiles (like all tiles being placed in a line? Or for example have one doorway to lead only to one encounter tile with a dead end so to speak, while the other Bonfire tile doorway will lead to the other 3 encouner tiles and obviously the Fog Gate at the end?

Basically, do I have complete freedom, as long as doorways aren't aligned with the wall of another tile and the Fog Gate is positioned at the farthest from the Bonfire tile?

Looking at the weapon TALISMAN and it's ability, I'm wondering if only other characters gain the amount of stamina or also the one who used it?

"All characters within range gain x stamina"

And considering the version which costs more for a bigger stamina gain... Considering the character who used it also gains stamina, would that mean he pais the amount of stamina, if that wouldn't kill him, and gains the amount of stamina provided by the spell after that?

@alxndrhll

On 14.2.2017 at 2:05 PM, alxndrhll said:

Model Limit clarifications:
Nothing much to say on this other than the interactions you mention are intended, though the variation in types of grunts and character builds mean there are always decisions to be made. Early on is it a viable tactic to position one PC to 'tank' 3 Hollow Soldiers, most certainly assuming they can take hits from 2 of them... And then when the 3rd Hollow Soldier moves in just push the PC out to avoid the 3rd hit. Later on when you have a PC stacked with Block die it's often better to push out one of the Hollow Soldiers because you're not concerned about taking any damage from them. So yeah, we know you can do it in some cases and it's not an exploit in any way, shape or form.

Cheers,
Alex

I also would have a follow up question to be sure that I understand correctly:

1a. If 2 PC are on the same node and 2 Hollow Soldiers are about to move in, the first one will move in and attacks the nearest player (aggro or highest taunt). Now the second Hollow Soldier moves in... Do I now can decide if I move the PC the Hollow Soldier was about to attack (to avoid the 2nd hit) or would I also be able to move the other PC (if I feel like it's still the better choice)?

1b. Same basically if 3 PC are on the same node... Do I have free choice which PC will get pushed as soon as a Hollow Soldier (in this case again) moves in or is it probably always the PC which is the target or something like that?

2. And I just realized: What if in any of the aboves situations a grunt with Movement push (let's say even including a number - an attack basically) moves in when there are already 2 or even 3 PC on that node? Do all get hit by this, or all but the one I've pushed onto an adjacent node because of the model limit?

Just saw a comment in the 101 Update stating the rules PDF available is the same as the printed version. So I guess none of these clarifications will make the final print.

I'm a bit torn on that, honestly. I think for the most part the rules are clear enough to play, but I have a feeling one group could be playing a vastly different version from the next group based on rule interpretations.

Ashraam - My impression was that there is another PDF out there. I'm actually going to start a new thread asking about it. The current PDF has typos in it, and Alex said they made those corrections at the very least.

32 minutes ago, Joplick said:

Ashraam - My impression was that there is another PDF out there. I'm actually going to start a new thread asking about it. The current PDF has typos in it, and Alex said they made those corrections at the very least.

That could be. I know they said there had been revisions, but this comment seemed counter to that. It sounded like the pdf was already available, but maybe they never distributed it.

I've seen that comment about the the PDF on their page is the printed version... But it seems to be the same we already had (at least looking at page 30 and that screenshot Alex did show to us in one of his first responses...)

Yeah, this is quite a bummer if this actually the case and we need to download the updated version (assuming they will at least release it - wouldn't make any sense if they don't).

Apologies if I've missed this somewhere up the thread, but I could have sworn there was something mentioned a few months ago about what happens when you defeat a boss/mini boss. Specifically in relation to your Estus/Luck Tokens/Heroic abilities being refreshed.

Obviously the rulebook hasn't received a proper update yet (from the looks of it), so does anyone know if you have to rest after a boss encounter to refresh your abilities or does that happen automatically?

Cheers!

12 minutes ago, Chromatism said:

Apologies if I've missed this somewhere up the thread, but I could have sworn there was something mentioned a few months ago about what happens when you defeat a boss/mini boss. Specifically in relation to your Estus/Luck Tokens/Heroic abilities being refreshed.

Obviously the rulebook hasn't received a proper update yet (from the looks of it), so does anyone know if you have to rest after a boss encounter to refresh your abilities or does that happen automatically?

Cheers!

Page 9, "setup after the mini boss," refers to repeating setup steps 1 and 2 as normal. Step 2 includes the statement "place the spark dial on the bonfire tile with the correct number from the table displayed."

3 hours ago, scifidownbeat said:

Page 9, "setup after the mini boss," refers to repeating setup steps 1 and 2 as normal. Step 2 includes the statement "place the spark dial on the bonfire tile with the correct number from the table displayed."

Thanks for the reply, but unfortunately that doesn't answer my question. I believe it's step 5 in the set up where you sort out your tokens, (luck, estus etc) but this step is skipped after you defeat the first mini boss. So is there a free 'rest' after you defeat a boss, or not?

Can't find the source for this, but I do distinctly remember it being clarified that once you defeat a boss you get a 'free' bonfire rest.  That is to say, Luck, Estus, and Heroic abilities refresh, along with all other effects from resting at the bonfire, and then you get your sparks.  So you start the next phase with all your sparks (or just one more in campaign mode) and all your various abilities refreshed.  

1 hour ago, Chromatism said:

Thanks for the reply, but unfortunately that doesn't answer my question. I believe it's step 5 in the set up where you sort out your tokens, (luck, estus etc) but this step is skipped after you defeat the first mini boss. So is there a free 'rest' after you defeat a boss, or not?

In my summary (OP) of all clarified questions so far, this was the official answer:

Another one that was added following blind playtesting, the following sentence can be found on page 15 of the printed book:
'When the players set up the tiles again after defeating a mini boss, place the characters on the Bonfire tile. They rest at the bonfire (without using a spark) before continuing their journey.

So, beside the sparks you reset, you also rest for free, which means all tokens will be reset too...