So, here’s a ‘duh’ question I’m sure, but... after an encounter is cleared, do you have to go rest at the bonfire to spend Souls, resenting all the encounters? Or can you spend Souls/reset your endurance, and then move onto the next encounter? Replect FAQ thread says you don’t have to go rest, but the rulebook seems to say that you do, and it resets all encounters.

Seems clear, but I just wanna make sure.

Resting at the bonfire does reset all the encounters.

However, you don't have to rest in order to spend your souls. You can spend them anytime you are not in an encounter. Also, your health and stamina reset to full after every encounter. Things like Estus and class abilities only reset if you rest.

Page 15 - "Resting at the Bonfire" 

When the party is defeated in an encounter, the characters must rest at the bonfire.The party may also choose to rest at the bonfire any time they are on the Bonfire tile. Resting at the bonfire restores many of the characters’ limited resources, but it also resets the encounter cards.

Thanks, Flamehearted! I know the page. I’m more interested where it says you can spend Souls while not on the Bonfire tile.

All underlines are mine:

pg. 13 - “Home Base”

Another important party resource on the Bonfire tile is the soul cache...and are used in numerous ways when interacting with the non-player characters, Blacksmith Andre and the Firekeeper.

pg. 14 - “Blacksmith Andre”

When the party returns to the Bonfire between encounters, they may visit Blacksmith Andre to purchase treasure, change equipment, and upgrade equipment.

To purchase treasure, remove 1 soul from the soul cache...

Characters can change equipment only when they visit Blacksmith Andre.

pg 15 - “The Firekeeper

The party may visit the Firekeeper to level up and restore luck. 

To level up, a character must spend souls...

characters can also restore luck at the Firekeeper. A character must spend 1 soul...

So, that all seems pretty straight-forward and clear to me: you MUST return to the Bonfire if you want to interact with NPCs (thus resetting the encounters), and interacting with the NPCs is the ONLY WAY to spend souls. I cannot find anything in the rulebook or FAQ/Errata that contradicts this. Don’t get me wrong: I REALLY want to find something which DOES contradict this...

Hi Ironmonger,

I suppose what you got wrong is, that you can return to the bonfire (between encounters) *without* resting.

That way you do not spend a bonfire spark, but you can use Blacksmith Andre and The Firekeeper.

Top of page 14: 

When the party returns to the bonfre between encounters,
they may visit Blacksmith Andre to purchase treasure, change
equipment, and upgrade equipment.

So you can return to the bonfire anytime between encounters. You optionally can rest there, to restore some tokens (see "Resting at the bonfire", p. 15).

In my own words: only for the very first encounter, players choose who activates first (and thus gets the First Activation token). For every encounter, players choose who gets the Aggro token.

Just search the rulebook for "first activation", there are only a few hits. It reveals this paragraph on page 19:

No matter whether the encounter ends in victory
or defeat, give the First Activation token to the
player who is next in turn order after the last
player who activated their character. The player
with the First Activation token will activate their
character first in the next encounter.

And in left column of p. 19 it states

During the very first character activation, the players can activate the
character of their choice. From then on, the order in which
characters activate goes clockwise around the table. When a new
encounter begins, the first character to activate is the character
who would have activated next in turn order when the previous
encounter ended.

@Thinkpositiv

This is correct.

The 1st Player token and Aggro tokens have caused a lot of confusion with new players.

1st Player is assigned at the beginning of the game, then goes around in turn order from encounter to encounter, depending on who acted last in the previous encounter.

The Aggro token is assigned by player choice at the beginning of each encounter.

Note this means if you give the same player the 1st Player and Aggro tokens at the same time, they'll have aggro for two turns in a row:

• Monsters activate - potentially targeting player with aggro.
  • 1st player activates and receives the Aggro token when finished.
  • Monsters activate again - potentially targeting player with aggro.

Hi all,

I've read somewhere warrior can attack with his weapon, then switch and attack again with another weapon during a special attack.

But in the rules, it says that a character has to switch weapons before moving/attacking.

Alex

4 hours ago, Arcueid said:

Hi all,

I've read somewhere warrior can attack with his weapon, then switch and attack again with another weapon during a special attack.

But in the rules, it says that a character has to switch weapons before moving/attacking.

Alex

That's correct. Equipment changes are free but have to happen at the beginning of your activation.

It's possible they meant Warrior can attack then move then attack again by activating his class ability, but this doesn't allow a change in equipment.

8 minutes ago, Ashraam said:

It's possible they meant Warrior can attack then move then attack again by activating his class ability, but this doesn't allow a change in equipment.

Since a weapon cannot be used twice in the same activation, a warrior cannot use attack and his special ability in the same activation ?

4 hours ago, Arcueid said:

Since a weapon cannot be used twice in the same activation, a warrior cannot use attack and his special ability in the same activation ?

He'd have to be wielding a second weapon. I should have clarified that. I suppose that could be what they meant when they said switching equipment. You wouldn't be changing your equipment though, just dual-wielding and attacking with each weapon with a move in-between.

I've never talked about changing equipment but switching equipment :)

From the rulebook:

• When a character starts their activation:
    • Tey gain 2 Stamina.
    • Tey gain the Aggro token.
    • Tey may swap items between their backup slot and hand
    slots (see ‘Equipment Cards’, p. 12).
    Ten the character can move and attack. Ten their activation
    ends, and it’s time for the next enemy activation.
  • During an activation, a character can make up to one attack
    with each weapon they are holding in their hand slots. 
  • Each class’s Heroic Action is a special limited-
    use ability that can be used during encounters.

Not sure anything else is explained in the rulebook.

And at the end, I can't find again where I seen a warrior can move/attack, then switch and use his heroic action in the same turn.

We are doing this since we have the game, but maybe it is not the right thing to do ...

You can swap weapons between hand and backup slot, before move/attack, as you stated. You can change equipment at Blacksmith Andre.
(Switch = swap?)

The Heroic "Berserk Charge" allows you to move between two attacks, which is otherwise not allowed. Still 

As far as I remember, the rulebook doesn't state anything special about the heroics. So they can be used whenever their describing text allows.

I personally understand it in a way, that the part "When a character starts their activation:" has to be finished. Then you are "during your activation", which is the time when you can use the Berserk Charge heroic. (So before or after the usual move/attack.) Then "end of activation" happens (e.g. resolve Poison token).

Others might interpret, that you can use the heroic (to attack) before the part "When a character starts their activation:" (which allows to swap items). That way it would be possible.

Maybe you remember something from the FAQ? They are summarized here: 

13 minutes ago, Thinkpositiv said:

You can swap weapons between hand and backup slot, before move/attack, as you stated. You can change equipment at Blacksmith Andre.
(Switch = swap?)

The Heroic "Berserk Charge" allows you to move between two attacks, which is otherwise not allowed. Still 

As far as I remember, the rulebook doesn't state anything special about the heroics. So they can be used whenever their describing text allows.

I personally understand it in a way, that the part "When a character starts their activation:" has to be finished. Then you are "during your activation", which is the time when you can use the Berserk Charge heroic. (So before or after the usual move/attack.) Then "end of activation" happens (e.g. resolve Poison token).

Others might interpret, that you can use the heroic (to attack) before the part "When a character starts their activation:" (which allows to swap items). That way it would be possible.

Maybe you remember something from the FAQ? They are summarized here: 

@ThinkPositiv:

Ok, I get it from this sentence "Others might interpret, that you can use the heroic (to attack) before the part "When a character starts their activation:" (which allows to swap items). That way it would be possible."

Thanks for the FAQ link, I found out where I've seend the Berserk+normal attack usage :

Berserk Charge

• Berserk Charge is a move followed by an attack, in the same activation.
  • You could move/attack with one weapon, then Berserk Charge (move one fore free followed by an attack) with a second weapon... but it doesn't override the rule that you can only attack with each weapon once. So you couldn't make a Berserk Charge attack with a weapon you've already used that activation.
  • You could also attack with one weapon, (then move and) then Berserk Charge (move one for free followed by an attack) with a second weapon.