• Announcements

• Mako

Training Ground   02/14/2018

There’s a new section in the guild ball area designed to help rookies, but it needs others to help out - why not write a post for it? Anything that’s good for people to know, whatever faction they’re starting out with!
Sign in to follow this  
WASandD

I can't win. Please help!

Just won my first game and it's pretty much entirely down to you guys.

Better use of momentum, bouncing off players for dodges to build momentum and passing down the line to do the same gave me enough momentum to keep healing throughout the Butchers battering me.

We were playing to 8 due to time restraints and I missed a shot and a snapshot due to not rolling above a three.

Salt was my MVP. Retrieved the ball intentionally dropped by my deployment zone and sprint/dodge/Jac cheeky shuffle at end of T1 & start T2 for a tap in. 

Boiler put one into the goal bringing the scoreline to 6/4, but I managed a great goal kick into an awaiting Shark who with Quick Feet and Fast Ground got an insane sprint to hammer one into the back of the net for the win.

I thought the game was lost after the two missed shots and Shark dying, but the free reposition on Shark ultimately won me the match. 

It was my first outing with Sakana and I really like him. Really like him. The extra movement from cover was really handy and he would have won me the game T1 if the dice lords were smiling on me. Greyscales was a good player too, I utilised his Unpredictable Movement and dodges to just shuffle about and Crowd Out to minimise the damage from Shank and Ox. 

Angel unfortunately didn't do a whole lot. She got me a momentum T1 from a pass, but apart from that was just a liability, I think I'll be benching her for Siren in line ups without damage heavy ladies in the future.

But yeah, thanks for all of the advice everyone, I'm really pleased with how the match went!

Angel can be a bit redundant in a shark line up. You're often better off bringing someone else in her slot as shark will be doing most of your scoring. I prefer her in a corsair list with sakana as he likes to fight more and is much slower so her and sakana can play forward and do the scoring that shark normally does

I'll be happy to throw in that I was in this exact same situation with my fishermen... i think i've played like 6 or 7 games now in 3rd season, and haven't won a single game until my last game (where I faced an even nooobier player than myself and ran away with a 12-0 victory). 

I would be more than happy to confirm that abusing the 2" melee of most our models will make or break a lot of set ups with a shark led team, as its the difference between dodging to safety on a counter attack, for example, or preventing a crowd out from their melee monsters. I think in my sterling game I did a total of 2 damage to my opponent? And it was because shark had already gut and strung literally everyone he could reach and was safely out of reach. 

Speaking of Gut and String, seeings how hard it is to find a good striker for fisherman (/sarcasm), never overlook the fact that a 6 inf shark can basically disable at least half of your opponents team in a single activation. I have had exactly 0 games yet where I was recieving the ball, so I always look to position shark where he can jog up to someone, string them up and gain momentum, then either push dodge to next target and do it again, etc etc or set up a legendary where he is going to net 5-6 models with his legendary. Obviously when your opponent has played more than 2 games this will be less effective, but man. when it goes off its the cats pajamas!

Other things I have noticed in all my losses - Shark struggles much more to gain momentum than Corsair does, at least until you put them both in the same position - They aren't that different really, fair TAC models with fishy playbooks. Corsairs the "come at me broh" vs. Sharks "cuts like a knife". Secondly, 3 inf kraken is always a safe bet to start the top of a turn you aren't going first in, especially if you know he will survive. He also really appreciates the Sturdy buff from Corsair as it guarantees the counterattack option exempting a push or dodge. Sakanas free counterattack is freaking amazing! <3 that guy, and I never even have a chance to use the smoke or terrain buffs yet (as we as a group had all just really started quite recently, we haven't been playing with terrain or with plot cards just to help get a core understanding of the rules first). I haven't really used angel as a goal threat yet, but I have multiple times just used her as a flank deterrent with Def 6. seems to work. (I Wish it was that easy in malifaux hahaha).

In any case, I still haven't won a game with corsair yet, but I having finally cut my teeth with shark am infinitely more excited at the prospect of it. Good luck to you!

7 hours ago, Khoregard said:

I'll be happy to throw in that I was in this exact same situation with my fishermen... i think i've played like 6 or 7 games now in 3rd season, and haven't won a single game until my last game (where I faced an even nooobier player than myself and ran away with a 12-0 victory). 

I would be more than happy to confirm that abusing the 2" melee of most our models will make or break a lot of set ups with a shark led team, as its the difference between dodging to safety on a counter attack, for example, or preventing a crowd out from their melee monsters. I think in my sterling game I did a total of 2 damage to my opponent? And it was because shark had already gut and strung literally everyone he could reach and was safely out of reach. 

Speaking of Gut and String, seeings how hard it is to find a good striker for fisherman (/sarcasm), never overlook the fact that a 6 inf shark can basically disable at least half of your opponents team in a single activation. I have had exactly 0 games yet where I was recieving the ball, so I always look to position shark where he can jog up to someone, string them up and gain momentum, then either push dodge to next target and do it again, etc etc or set up a legendary where he is going to net 5-6 models with his legendary. Obviously when your opponent has played more than 2 games this will be less effective, but man. when it goes off its the cats pajamas!

Other things I have noticed in all my losses - Shark struggles much more to gain momentum than Corsair does, at least until you put them both in the same position - They aren't that different really, fair TAC models with fishy playbooks. Corsairs the "come at me broh" vs. Sharks "cuts like a knife". Secondly, 3 inf kraken is always a safe bet to start the top of a turn you aren't going first in, especially if you know he will survive. He also really appreciates the Sturdy buff from Corsair as it guarantees the counterattack option exempting a push or dodge. Sakanas free counterattack is freaking amazing! <3 that guy, and I never even have a chance to use the smoke or terrain buffs yet (as we as a group had all just really started quite recently, we haven't been playing with terrain or with plot cards just to help get a core understanding of the rules first). I haven't really used angel as a goal threat yet, but I have multiple times just used her as a flank deterrent with Def 6. seems to work. (I Wish it was that easy in malifaux hahaha).

In any case, I still haven't won a game with corsair yet, but I having finally cut my teeth with shark am infinitely more excited at the prospect of it. Good luck to you!

Corsair's playbook isn't actually that "fishy" which is the prime reason he generates MP a lot easier. Corsair is one of the only in faction models with momentous damage which you can take over and over as you murder someone. Shark's dodges are usually something you do while you're going somewhere to do something, like score. His superior dodge is also non momentous which is a shame. While Corsair is quite happy to momentously knock someone flat on their back, and momentously beat them to death. Corsair notably only has a single dodge on 3 and i've honestly never had a reason to take it.

Gutter is also quite common to see in Corsair line ups, who has some really reliable MP generation. VSiren is great in shark too, but shes more common in Corsair lists, and shes the third for the "momentous damage" trifecta of the fish. 

Very true on kraken liking sturdy. one thing that is quite evil is putting sturdy on Fangtooth also!

On 3.2.2017 at 11:45 AM, Napoleon said:

Very true on kraken liking sturdy. one thing that is quite evil is putting sturdy on Fangtooth also!

That's dirty!

One thing that I like to do with my fish list either one is trying to score T1 with OG Siren. Kicking off with her she then takes 4 inf (max). She charges one of the opponents models and puts herself within 6" of the ball carrier. Average dice on a 0 arm target should get her the seduced playbook trigger off the charge because you'll have 7 dice to roll. Then you have the ball carrier pass to Siren who with her reach can avoid other melees. If they do reach and the pass is successful you can use the momentum gain to dodge out and still have at least one momentum to score a goal. This also leaves other key players on your deployment line.

Always have two wingers. They are there to shoot in shark always gets taken out on first turn but he has just scored a goal so don't worry he can get back quick or push someone IP. Jac is great in the middle. He can hold his own and is still a good striker. I find Grey's always stays on the wing being forgot then gets a snap shot off. Sakanna can help hold the middle with his free counter and jac can free him up to make a snap shott

Jac is a fine winger too. If someone moves to mark him, activate Jac last in the turn and Ramming Speed + Heroic them 6" towards the edge of the pitch, then threaten to do it again if they don't go first and immediately get their player out of the danger zone.