• Announcements

• Mako

Union in Chains Pictures   10/14/2017

With union in chains in full swing, everyone wants to upload a few pictures with their battle report (they're highly recommended to ensure your report is accepted as valid). Check the Union in Chains section for some handy advice (and user avatars) before you start!  
Nix

Huzzah Spring Fling - May 20th & 21st, 2017

The largest individual US tournament is returning for its second year in the Northern VA area.  This year we're pushed back a bit, but still in the spring. May 20th is the date, here are the details:

Guild Ball Spring Fling

Presented by Bill Anderson

Basics:

Event Intent:  This is intended to be a sanctioned 64 person Guild Ball tournament.

Event Location:

Huzzah Hobbies

44927 George Washington Blvd, Ste.135

Ashburn, VA 20147

(703) 466-0460

Pre-Registration can be sent via paypal: https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=FBKZMKYGY2ACE

Registration can be viewed on Tiebreak: https://www.tiebreak.co.uk/huzzah-spring-fling-2017/feed

Tournament Date: May 20th & 21st, 2017

Tournament slots: 64 players

Tournament Time:

33 – 64 players

6 round tournament

Saturday Round 1: 10:30am – 12:10pm

Lunch: 12:10pm – 1:30pm

Saturday Round 2: 1:30pm – 3:10pm

Saturday Round 3: 3:25pm – 5:05pm

Saturday Round 4: 5:20pm – 7:00pm

Sunday Round 5: 12:30pm – 2:10pm

Sunday Round 6: 2:25pm – 4:05pm

Awards: 4:30pm

Tournament Format: Regional Cup

Appearance Standard: All models in play must be fully assembled, on appropriately sized bases, painted, and based.

Proxy Rule:  Judge pre-approved proxies are permitted.

Full Tournament pack available here: http://gamerslounge.coda.net/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/Huzzah-Spring-Fling-2017.pdf

Hey all,

I want ant to toss out an idea to get feedback. I'm considering alternatives to random 1st round pairings and would like feedback on this idea.

I'm considering using a combination of 1st round seeding and "Dutch style" Swiss pairings for the first round. I'd seed all players based on their current Black Orifice guild ball ranking. Then I'd pair the first round by splitting the field in half and pairing TP/TP. 

basically, if 10 people show up it'd be 1st ranked plays 6th ranked, 2nd plays 7th, etc.

my goal is:
1. At the end of the day the top table will be the 2 best players on the day
2. Each round will match players of similar skill with an increasing challenge.
3. First round pairing will directly lead to 2nd round brackets of similar skill level.

we'll still be using TP/VP/VPD for pairing and end of day placing. I'll be using the same "Dutch style" Swiss for pairings round 2+.

please share your feedback on the first round proposal.

thanks!

Bill

I really liked how at the Fall Brawl no one was paired against someone from the same local club in neither the first round, nor as luck enabled, the second round.

I don't particularly like the idea of someone's tournament ranking affecting whom they are matched against in the first round.  In particular, it seems arbitrary that the person just above the mean is matched against the worst player and the player just bellow it is matched against the best player.  Obviously if the first round is random someone has to play the best and worst player but deliberately selecting someone for those tables based on their past performance seems a lot more spiteful.

Wanting the top table in the final round to be the two best players at the event is a noble goal, but I don't find this method of guiding the event towards it appealing.

11 hours ago, MechMage said:

I really liked how at the Fall Brawl no one was paired against someone from the same local club in neither the first round, nor as luck enabled, the second round.

I don't particularly like the idea of someone's tournament ranking affecting whom they are matched against in the first round.  In particular, it seems arbitrary that the person just above the mean is matched against the worst player and the player just bellow it is matched against the best player.  Obviously if the first round is random someone has to play the best and worst player but deliberately selecting someone for those tables based on their past performance seems a lot more spiteful.

Wanting the top table in the final round to be the two best players at the event is a noble goal, but I don't find this method of guiding the event towards it appealing.

I appreciate the feedback, although the idea of pairing like this being "spiteful" surprises me. I actually thought it was a more reliable way to generate a solid match opposed to randomly pairing people up.

Two follow on questions:

- do you believe this system also fails to reach my #2 objective?

- are you looking at the pairing methodology as a whole or the first round methodology of seeding when you mention your distaste?

Everything I said was in regard to the first round only.  I honestly don't have a clear picture of how the second round match up will work beyond winners will be paired against other winners.  With that in mind, I can't comment how I'd expect the later rounds to look.

I don't particularly dislike the seeding method overall, I just find the edge case were the player who is paired against the best player in the first round is ranking adjacent to the player who is paired against the worst player.  It seems like for those two players a small difference in ranking made a big difference in the ease of the first round, with one being set up to win and the other being set up to lose.

But like I said in my first post, I don't have a better system to propose so I don't have any useful advice, just a gut reaction.

Pretty sure for "Sunday Round 5" you mean "12:30pm - 2:10pm," unless you really are having a 14-hour game that starts at midnight :)

Anyways, Ashburn isn't far from Silver Spring. If I get my stuff painted (and the wife ok's it) I'll do my best to make it down.

6 minutes ago, TehMik said:

Pretty sure for "Sunday Round 5" you mean "12:30pm - 2:10pm," unless you really are having a 14-hour game that starts at midnight :)

Anyways, Ashburn isn't far from Silver Spring. If I get my stuff painted (and the wife ok's it) I'll do my best to make it down.

That was the 14 hour clock "relaxed" round..... 

fixed, hope to see you there!

People really need to show up for this tournament.  Bill is a generous host and does a fantastic job with the micro managing that is involved with such a large event.  The group of guys in the area are just top notch being friendly yet competitive gamers throughout.  I just can't say enough about the fun I've had personally attending numerous tournaments with the Capital Guild Ball group.

Thanks, that's incredibly kind of you!

I'm excited to be compiling the first round of new and returning sponsors for this year. Wow are things looking incredible. Announcements will be coming later this week.

Got some new information incoming. One of the ideas being embraced at the Spring Fling 2017 is a side event for Significant Others. Often we, as gamers, find ourselves being pressured to not attend events because our Significant others do not play. The answer is the Spring Fling Spa day.

Facebook link: https://www.facebook.com/events/166584990515230/

While the gamers are playing Guild Ball, the SO's will be off at a spa then lunch with the group. Here's some details.
Spa - Bella Beach Nail Spa, Ashburn VA
Lunch - MOD Pizza

Classic Package: $60
includes: classic manicure, classic pedicure, either (Mod pizza or Mod Salad) and Drink.

Gel Package: $90
includes: Classic pedicure, Gel manicure, either (Mod pizza or Mod Salad) and Drink.

Rides will be coordinated among the group who are going.

If you're SO is interested, make sure you're signed up to attend the Spring Fling and have your SO indicate they'll be "going" on the Facebook event (link above).

2 things. 1) I just registered/paid, really excited! 2) There's also a pretty neat spa about 25 mins away called "Spa World." I know this because my wife likes to go there, and it's not that expensive.

EDIT: @Nix is there anything we have to do to get signed up via the tiebreak system, or do you input that information in? 

@TehMik sorry for the delay in posting, but I gotcha in the system.

We've topped 40 registered players but I'm aware of at least 1 person who has a conflict and won't be attending. This means that not only is there still plenty of room (we have room for 64) but we also have at least 1 full swag bag outstanding.

Pre-Registration is very helpful, in the final 4 weeks I'm nailing down lunch and the amount of morning donuts. Emails will be going out to everyone registered shortly.

I have a conflict in my schedule and can only attend the first day of the tournament.  Is it possible to attend the first day with the understanding that I would not be able to participate on the second day?  I'm in southern Virginia and we have practically no opportunities to play GB down here.  Thanks.

22 hours ago, luther.elmo said:

I have a conflict in my schedule and can only attend the first day of the tournament.  Is it possible to attend the first day with the understanding that I would not be able to participate on the second day?  I'm in southern Virginia and we have practically no opportunities to play GB down here.  Thanks.

That should not be a problem at all, although I would urge anyone who can to stay both days. Day 2 will have the final games plus all the prizes and awards.

Coming for just the single day is a fantastic way to get a fair number of games in a single day though!!! I'm looking forward to seeing you there.

Wishing I had time today to read the new OPD. 

Will update as soon as I can once I read it... or maybe write my own.

Bill

Email sent to attendees with the final rules packet. We're in the final stretch for the spring fling. To date we have 46 registered players, making for an exciting day!

Here's the first set of pictures from the Spring Fling. These are from Day 1, The Evening and Day 2 are coming.

The Calm before the start:

IMG_3347_zpsgledg3pc.jpg

Of course, an event that I'm running has Duck Donuts:

IMG_3350_zps4eeqqx0h.jpg

Table 1 - Mat's by Mar's championship mat plus Broken Egg 2d terrain

IMG_3348_zpsynmimbjw.jpg

Table 2 - Mat and terrain by Hidden Forest Gaming

IMG_3349_zpslbiihgjk.jpg

Then the crowd shows up and round 1 gets started:

IMG_3351_zps4g39lrgw.jpg

Here are some candid pictures from games through the day:

IMG_3352_zpsoccz6eqo.jpg

IMG_3353_zpsdlylg83f.jpg

IMG_3355_zpsmw6grrt7.jpg

IMG_3356_zpsvxmxrm1m.jpg

IMG_3357_zpscd3adnqu.jpg

IMG_3358_zpskpx7so4p.jpg

IMG_3359_zpskwp1vzry.jpg

IMG_3360_zpst5h8l4lk.jpg

More candids from day 1:

IMG_3361_zpsop0zv08e.jpg

IMG_3362_zpsbfo4zsgd.jpg

IMG_3363%20-%20Version%202_zpsz4mapnd9.j

IMG_3365_zpsedrney1g.jpg

IMG_3373_zpscetawfom.jpg

Onto the evening and day 2.

God Bless a restaurant willing to take in 40 gamers on a Saturday evening!

IMG_3057_zpsnxqqmbit.jpg

Then fewer pictures of day 2, but a couple made it through:

Here's the deciding game of round 5, Table 2 - the play down/up. Vince (4/0) vs Dutch (3/1)

IMG_3374_zpsyjpu8pew.jpg

IMG_3376_zpsgxxopblc.jpg

And the round 5 top table, Pat vs Frank

IMG_3377_zps6kw0x6d0.jpg

IMG_3378_zps5gabemrj.jpg

Then the final round, Vince vs Frank

IMG_3381_zpsovofugrz.jpg

And the podium:

IMG_3128_zpso1wdwgec.jpg

Sometimes it's cool to have the internet come to life at events. Here's a picture I couldn't pass up of the Alex Botts playing the Jared McGraw.

IMG_3388_zpsb96aqcfi.jpg