Crucible's virulent presence amplifies her team's condition game, making fires burn with greater fury and poisons even deadlier. Her caustic onslaught cannot be contained, thanks to her nimble footwork. Slipping past whatever comes her way, Crucible is toxic threat, sure to corrode the opposing team's morale. 

• Crucible gives Alchemist coaches greater damage-potential in their line-up, by making burning and poison effects more dangerous. 
  • Her exciting twist on the Alchemist's condition game will appeal to veteran coaches who want to limit their opponent's strategies by draining their momentum. 

Crucible.jpg

Where are you getting all this from? Is this a new captain or a utility player? Also, pictures please (the Union captain one must be around somewhere, someone must have screencapped it from the keynote).

EDIT: Thanks for the picture.

Edited by S_A_T_S

Supposedly someone saw a picture at steam con of an alchemist looking player with a long staff. So hopefully 2" reach, but take it with a very big grain of salt.

As for abilities and stats probably somethings like a passive aura that increases condition damage suffered by 1. Probably defense 5/0 with either nimble (since they call it out), or  whatever oHarmony had in season II but I think they removed that ability from the game.

Other than that I imagine striker-ish stats. Decent to good kick like most Alchs. 6/8 move, tac 4~, play book most likely 4 in length with momentum on the dodges not on damage or low tackles. Maybe momentum on the tackle but that depends on whether they want to push her as a striker with passive toxic aura, or toxic aura with options to be a striker if the situation comes up.

The other option I can see is for her to actually be built with more of a combat presence in mind. Something like a mix between vKata and fillet. I realize that sounds bonkers, but what I mean is more of high def fast attacking model that might possibly have intensify. Potentially. In addition to her passive aura. This would be really fun and also very bonkers, which is why I doubt it, but hey we can dream.

I'm a big fan of the cool modeled in effects that we keep getting in the Alchemist's Guild.  So much fun to paint and makes it so much more than just another ticked off character swinging a weapon at someone.  And now we get an albino to boot, that will be very intredasting to paint indeed.  Really looking forward to this one already of course.

2 hours ago, OctaBit said:

Supposedly someone saw a picture at steam con of an alchemist looking player with a long staff. So hopefully 2" reach, but take it with a very big grain of salt.

I think the sculptor (Russ) said at Steam Con the new alchemist model had to be carefully made to avoid being top-heavy/unstable (which makes sense seeing the picture) ... but must've imagined the bit about the staff!

Want this model, tiny bit sad that they called her Crucible then have her swinging a censer, but I suppose it'd be tough to swing a crucible around. Unless of course that is a crucible in her hand...

Blast you, Steamforged for taunting us with this picture! 

Hope she does more for conditions than just make them hurt more. I don't think that's the issue. Vet Kat and original Kat are the best designed condition oriented players on the team so far I think. Either no investment or strong payoff. Vet Kat using all conditions also helps a lot.

It could be that she'll work like Meathook or Venin, having a pulse heroic play that affects enemies with conditions.  It's also possible that she'll have Intensify and play like Katalyst was originally intended to, but I doubt that.  My hope is that she has some way of making conditions more sticky, such as with a sustained play that causes enemies to become poisoned when it expires or an aura that prevents Take a Breather from clearing conditions but not Come on Lad..  

Based on the description of her "virulent presence" providing "greater damage-potential" through the burning and poison conditions, plus "draining ... momentum" I'd guess:

Aura, 6".  When an enemy within the aura suffers condition damage from the burning or poisoned conditions, that enemy suffers an additional [1] condition-damage and the enemy team loses [1] MP.

Which might not actually be that great if she's not tanky.  And it would just give enemies even more reasons to spend their MP clearing conditions.  But there's not much point to criticizing a wild-speculation version of her ability :p.

If she could drain momentum when conditions are *applied*, that would be amazing.  But I think it's also unlikely.

12 minutes ago, kerbarian said:

Aura, 6".  When an enemy within the aura suffers condition damage from the burning or poisoned conditions, that enemy suffers an additional [1] condition-damage and the enemy team loses [1] MP.

Condition damage is done at the top of the turn during the Maintenance Phase after momentum has already been cleared at the end of the previous turn.  The aura you described would clear at most 1 momentum if the Alchemist player had initiative because that's all the momentum it's possible for the opponent to have at that point.

I hope her ability to do damage isn't as boring as a passive aura that slightly increases existing damage sources.

Something to help conditions to stick would be nice. Maybe something to increase the cost of clearing conditions by [1]? Not sure how to balance it though. Maybe as a heroic?

@ADG
 Ya, now that we have a picture I can definitely see why there was some confusion. Also The model looks great.

2 hours ago, MechMage said:

Condition damage is done at the top of the turn during the Maintenance Phase after momentum has already been cleared at the end of the previous turn.  The aura you described would clear at most 1 momentum if the Alchemist player had initiative because that's all the momentum it's possible for the opponent to have at that point.

I hope her ability to do damage isn't as boring as a passive aura that slightly increases existing damage sources.

Oh, right.  I'm used to tournaments where initiative and condition damage is all done together, and we usually resolve conditions before initiative (even though the initiative phase is actually first).

I like @OctaBit's idea of her causing it to cost extra MP to clear conditions.

So maybe:

Heroic play [3" Pulse]

Enemy models within the pulse suffering the burning or poisoned conditions suffer [1] condition-damage.  Using "Take a Breather" or "Come on Mate!" to remove conditions from those models costs an additional [1] MP.

An aura which prevents gaining Momentum while suffering conditions perhaps?

Would in effect just cause everyone to spend one to clear them, but could screw with activation order.

Definitely looks like a cool addition. Can't help feeling it's another player for Smoke, who is already spoiled for choice. Will she be useful in a Midas team though? His options are pretty limited.

Depending on her general role (winger, striker, midfield) I think she could find a home on a Midas roster. Personally I really want to see her be a Vitriol alternative. I think if SF can do something like that she could be used just fine by both captains.

2 hours ago, Odin said:

Definitely looks like a cool addition. Can't help feeling it's another player for Smoke, who is already spoiled for choice. Will she be useful in a Midas team though? His options are pretty limited.

If you're playing oKat and Harry with Midas, you have two sources of Fire, so if she does something to enhance that damage or a play like Intensify (or just Intensify) She should work just fine for Midas.

5 hours ago, Alphadork said:

I think @OctaBit is on the right track - my guess is an aura that required models to spend 1 MP to clear a single condition (rather than all conditions).

This would make stacking up different conditions a viable play-style for the Alchemists.

I was going to suggest this. Sounds interesting and fits the "Choices!" design philosophy. Make it a big aura though - 6"+. Was thinking it might be a bit crap early turn, as they will have fewer conditions on them most likely, but then it almost forces them to remove early, as it wouldn't be worth waiting until later and clearing everything with a single MP. It's not an amazingly exciting ability, but would be so frustrating with Kat - KD, then push 4" and fire: even if you spend 1 MP to get up, you're gonna to struggle getting anywhere...

Most have covered things I'd like to say.

First of - She looks AMAZING. I cannot wait to paint up her up.

I hope she does more then just increase condition damage, typically conditions for smoke aren't the KO's. It's either a set up for Katalyst, or a way to drain momentum. As others have said, if she could make the opponent spend more momentum for clearing conditions, or make it 1 MP to clear one would be great. I think she needs more then simply "Conditions do 1 more damage" to be considered in a line up. That said I have faith in SF. I totally can't wait to see her rules!!

Well I just typed up this whole essay on auras that effect condition removal and a revised opinion on her stats and abilities and blah blah blah... And then my computer crashed... Hopefully I can type all up again as soon as my computer restarts...