oncouch1

What clock to use?

I know there are options on pad/phone but i prefer to use a chess clock. What versions have you guys found that work with the guild ball timing rules? I have a DGT easy that functions fine for the main portion of the game but I have not found a clock that handles the 1 minute move timer after the main time has elapsed. 

The sad fact of the matter is so far I haven't found a chess clock that simply swaps from the full round timer to the minute timer, ESPECIALLY if one player has clocked out and the other hasn't (which is of course usually the case). In most cases people just whip out a phone for the 1 minute timing, usually a third player/judge does the timing if possible. 

Without a custom solution you'll likely never find a stand-alone chess clock that switches to the one minute timing (manually or automatically).  The simple truth is that Guild Ball uses a unique timing structure that way, and nobody manufactures clocks that do what we need.  So unless one of us sees a business opportunity here I think we are stuck with chess clock and stopwatch or smartphone solutions.

2 hours ago, Slothrop said:

The sad fact of the matter is so far I haven't found a chess clock that simply swaps from the full round timer to the minute timer, ESPECIALLY if one player has clocked out and the other hasn't (which is of course usually the case). In most cases people just whip out a phone for the 1 minute timing, usually a third player/judge does the timing if possible. 

I don't know how difficult it is to set up, but I believe at our last tournament the TO had a few of these clocks that would do just that (trying to confirm that this is the right one)! It was super convenient to not have to pull out a stopwatch or second timing device once in extra turns. 

https://www.amazon.com/Professional-Digital-Chess-Clock/dp/B00UVRBGX2/ref=pd_sbs_21_11?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=J73G1BWJ8CS4VW5M6DVF

Edit: Yeah, this is the right one. 

Edited by CaptCommy

1 hour ago, Slothrop said:

mine does keep counting after a clocked out so you can sort have the minute in there :P

2 hours ago, Slothrop said:

2 hours ago, CaptCommy said:

I don't know how difficult it is to set up, but I believe at our last tournament the TO had a few of these clocks that would do just that (trying to confirm that this is the right one)! It was super convenient to not have to pull out a stopwatch or second timing device once in extra turns. 

https://www.amazon.com/Professional-Digital-Chess-Clock/dp/B00UVRBGX2/ref=pd_sbs_21_11?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=J73G1BWJ8CS4VW5M6DVF

Yup, this one does the 1 minute thing FLAWLESSLY. 

(link again: https://www.amazon.com/Professional-Digital-Chess-Clock/dp/B00UVRBGX2/ref=pd_sbs_21_11?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=J73G1BWJ8CS4VW5M6DVF)

The Ebay version used to be $23 but took 3 weeks to ship, but now because of the popularity it's $28, so I think if you have Amazon Prime, I would just go with that.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121838593572?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

When one player clocks out, the timer immediately goes to 1 minute activations, including the current activation.  every time the turn flips to the non clocked out player, the 1 minute for the clocked out player resets to 1.  After trying it out, I bought a 2nd one to bring to tournaments and pretty much use it exclusively now. 

To set it up, choose setting #26, and then you can follow the regular instructions of setting both the regular game time and the clock out time.  All pretty simple to set up.

4 minutes ago, rozyncrantz said:

I love to be proven wrong.  Thanks!

I had the same issue when I was searching, trying to find that 1 minute activation thing, and someone posted it on one of the FB groups (bless his soul).  It works SO well that this is one of my favorite purchases. :)

1 hour ago, ProfBeardsly said:

I found this thread about 5 minutes too late.  Hopefully the DGT Easy Plus doesn't suck...

It doesn't suck, it's a rock solid clock. Timed out is a bit annoying since it does count up automatically and doesn't reset when your time is done, so it have to pay attention to what time it starts at.

9 hours ago, ProfBeardsly said:

I found this thread about 5 minutes too late.  Hopefully the DGT Easy Plus doesn't suck...

It doesnt suck, actually far from it. That is the one that I currently own and it is great. The only reason I would want another one is due to the overtime rules for guild ball. It gets very weird later in the game using stopwatches or other methods of timing. I would prefer something cleaner. I researched a decent amount and could only find the Leap model mentioned above. Which is functional but displeasing to the eye. I was hoping to find a better answer here. 

21 hours ago, kryzak said:

Yup, this one does the 1 minute thing FLAWLESSLY. 

(link again: https://www.amazon.com/Professional-Digital-Chess-Clock/dp/B00UVRBGX2/ref=pd_sbs_21_11?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=J73G1BWJ8CS4VW5M6DVF)

The Ebay version used to be $23 but took 3 weeks to ship, but now because of the popularity it's $28, so I think if you have Amazon Prime, I would just go with that.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121838593572?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

When one player clocks out, the timer immediately goes to 1 minute activations, including the current activation.  every time the turn flips to the non clocked out player, the 1 minute for the clocked out player resets to 1.  After trying it out, I bought a 2nd one to bring to tournaments and pretty much use it exclusively now. 

To set it up, choose setting #26, and then you can follow the regular instructions of setting both the regular game time and the clock out time.  All pretty simple to set up.

Didn't own a clock yet, so just ordered one of these.  Look forward to trying it out!

12 minutes ago, The Old Buzzard said:

Why don't you guys use the app on an iPad?

If you already have the iPad the app is free. I thought I got mine from the Guildball tonight site. But I ca't see it just now.

Bill

Yeah, the iOS app "GBTimer" has all the features one might need, I think. Doesn't have that cool "slap the clock" action, though :P

4 hours ago, The Old Buzzard said:

Why don't you guys use the app on an iPad?

If you already have the iPad the app is free. I thought I got mine from the Guildball tonight site. But I ca't see it just now.

Bill

Chess clocks are superior for my purposes for two reasons. 

1) I have a competitive chess background which I do not get to indulge in as much as I would like to. The feel slapping the clock's toggle is much more satisfying than merely poking the ipad 

2) I dont trust other people with anything more than 30 dollars. In my table top playing days I have had:

A fat mat ruined (dropped a pizza on it after i repeatedly asked them not to eat over it)

A model slapped across the room (person is a spas and I am astounded he has the mental acuity to wear shoes with laces) 

My tournament tray dropped with my entire army on it (after i asked them not to move it and that I would do it myself)

Dropped a water bottle on my army at a convention (not his fault though still frustrating)

My seraph broken by the same person 3 times (the third time was after I showed the repairs I made to it safely saw it through being in the trunk when I got rear ended. Evidentially a car accident has nothing on jay)

My widgets snapped (that was during a tournament he asked me to borrow one as he had forgotten his he snapped it, later in the same game he needed another one, snapped it as well)

Admittedly I play more than most, but this is all just in the last 3 years. People are terrible monsters when it comes to taking care of others belongings and I do not trust in people to not destroy things. 

2 hours ago, oncouch1 said:

Admittedly I play more than most, but this is all just in the last 3 years. People are terrible monsters when it comes to taking care of others belongings and I do not trust in people to not destroy things. 

Wow... most of those examples just made me cringe.   Damn. 

9 hours ago, The Old Buzzard said:

It is the "GB Timer" by Phil Bowen that I use. It has a 2 minute setting though not a one.

The 2-minute setting is for "speed ball" (2-minute activations the whole game). As far as I know, the app automatically goes to 1-minute activations as soon as someone's clock runs out when you're using any of the standard round clock settings.