oncouch1

What clock to use?

Well it's took me a long time to get round to buying one but finally got one of the Pro Leap clocks... love it, can't wait to play with it. 

So long to faffing around with a stop watch! And as it has an alarm, so long to thise awkward moments when neither player notices the clock is out and game is kinda ruined.

6 hours ago, Whiplash said:

It's a byo-yomi setting used for overtime periods in Go matches. Any clock that can handle byo-yomi timing will work for guild ball. 

I'm not really into chess at any kind of level so don't know the phrase.

When setting the clock up in that mode, I had to set the 45 mins, the 1 min activation length and one more number.. the byo-yomi. Any idea what that could mean?

13 hours ago, CurlyPaul said:

I'm not really into chess at any kind of level so don't know the phrase.

When setting the clock up in that mode, I had to set the 45 mins, the 1 min activation length and one more number.. the byo-yomi. Any idea what that could mean?

its a term from an oriental strategy game, way better than chess in my opinion. they do overtime periods(byo yomi) like GB when a player's main time runs out.

4 hours ago, Malritch said:

Amazon... cheap. :P 

xOiy0La.jpg?1

Can this one account for 1 minute over time activation on an individual basis?  Ie. If one person clocks out and the other has ~5minutes left, can this clock accommodate that this without interruption mid game?

@CodFather ...honestly not sure... as we've always just paused on clock out and called a judge over...he/she then proceeds to time the 1 minute activations... (I think the region cup rules refer to this method)

You could probably goodle that model number and find out.

No that model does not track 1 min activations, they normally freeze both clocks as soon as one runs out. Good enough for when you have a judge around, or play fast, but as I clock out a lot I thought it worth getting the pro version.

18 hours ago, Whiplash said:

its a term from an oriental strategy game, way better than chess in my opinion. they do overtime periods(byo yomi) like GB when a player's main time runs out.

So the byo yomi number would mean what, you reckon? It's not the length of the click out, that's a different setting. 

In holiday atm, will play with it when I get back to figure it out

Byo-yomi is the timekeeping where once your clock runs out, you get X periods of Y seconds, right? If you make a move within that time period, the time resets to Y. If you don’t, you lose one time period (so X-1) and countdown starts in the next of your X periods. If you run out of those, you lose.

So you’d have say 45 min plus 5 periods of 60 seconds. Once you used your 45 min, you’d have 60 seconds to make a move. If you failed to do that 5 times, you’d lose. 

Not sure how that ties to settings for clocks in guild ball, but I used to play a bit of Go ;)

I guess you’d just have to set it to twelve periods of 60 seconds so you didn’t run out before you lost, no matter how many vp you had to give up and how many moves you failed to make. Or set it to zero, which might do unlimited 60 second periods.

1 hour ago, CurlyPaul said:

No that model does not track 1 min activations, they normally freeze both clocks as soon as one runs out. Good enough for when you have a judge around, or play fast, but as I clock out a lot I thought it worth getting the pro version.

So the byo yomi number would mean what, you reckon? It's not the length of the click out, that's a different setting. 

I recently picked up this clock (PQ9903) but haven't used it much, so I just played with it for a few minutes to see how that number behaves (in mode 26/27).  It's a count down of the extra time periods, but like Mako suggested it only counts down if the period expires.  So not useful for counting VPs, but once it reaches 0 it seems to just keep going and you can start it at 0 and just ignore the number.

58 minutes ago, Intergalactic Slacks said:

I recently picked up this clock (PQ9903) but haven't used it much, so I just played with it for a few minutes to see how that number behaves (in mode 26/27).  It's a count down of the extra time periods, but like Mako suggested it only counts down if the period expires.  So not useful for counting VPs, but once it reaches 0 it seems to just keep going and you can start it at 0 and just ignore the number.

Ok cool that's perfect then, thought it might be something like that but if it keeps going anyway then it's all fine.

Thanks to all of you who mentioned Byo-Yomi time, because that makes it easy to find decent substitutes.

Here are the official results of my survey of my fully exhaustive and complete* iOS game timing tools.

Recommended:

• Simply Game Clock: Can be customized to have a saved profile.  Set it for 45 minutes of main time and 9 periods of 60 second Byo-Yomi.  Note that it won't auto-pause the clock when you cross over a Byo-Yomi period.  Expect your opponent to glare at you if you go over time.  Seems to save its clock state when the phone is locked or in another app, but only actively ticks down the 5 additional seconds that iOS will let an app "work" in the background.  It will only keep time when in the foreground.  Will lose clock state if the program gets force-quit or flushed from RAM.

Not recommended:

• On iOS, if you don't already have GBTimer (by Phil of Guild Ball Tonight), it's been delisted, so you can't get it any more.  Also loses the clock state if the app gets flushed out of RAM.
  • GameClock (Green icon): doesn't save profiles, so you have to set up your Byo-Yomi every time.  Seems to be fine otherwise though.
  • I don't recommend Aurora Chess Clock or Merkmatics Chess Clock because they are both too chess-focused and not general enough and also cost $.  The $ stands for "1 United States Dollar".
  • There's a more Go-specific "igotimer" which is not recommended because I didn't investigate it in my survey.

*This means I'm done with it.

On 4/2/2018 at 3:16 PM, Mako said:

Byo-yomi is the timekeeping where once your clock runs out, you get X periods of Y seconds, right? If you make a move within that time period, the time resets to Y. If you don’t, you lose one time period (so X-1) and countdown starts in the next of your X periods. If you run out of those, you lose.

So you’d have say 45 min plus 5 periods of 60 seconds. Once you used your 45 min, you’d have 60 seconds to make a move. If you failed to do that 5 times, you’d lose. 

Not sure how that ties to settings for clocks in guild ball, but I used to play a bit of Go ;)

I guess you’d just have to set it to twelve periods of 60 seconds so you didn’t run out before you lost, no matter how many vp you had to give up and how many moves you failed to make. Or set it to zero, which might do unlimited 60 second periods.

wouldn't you only need 1 60 second overtime? if he makes his move in time hitting the clock resets the 60 second time. if not he's lost anyway.