Sign in to follow this  
Napoleon

Advice on a Corsair line up?

Hey there, new player here. Having some success with the Shark side of things giving him a go, i wanted to try out Corsair. if i love both captains then fish are just going to straight out be my choice and i'll collect every single one of them haha. Shark is already awesome, but the Corsair vs Shark choice seems like a huge change in playstyle due to their radically different abilities.

Right now i hear a few things by looking around, that Veteran siren is better because corsair likes people clumping up (and encourages it with his drag) and Corsair kind of replaces the ranged ball steal that normal siren has. Also that people start considering union options like Gutter, Snakeskin, Avarisse and such.

What should i be running with this loveable pirate as a good way to learn his playstyle? Greyscales is very high on my list because hes my favourite player hands down. 

EDIT: also, i love the fact he has a momentous result on every column, i usually have barely any of it and spend it quite frequently the moment i feel like i can't win the race for first turn by 1-2 mp. But i do have a question, if he gets a success of 4 (after arm) and chooses to drag, can he drag some other person in or only the person hes already attacking? 

He can drag anyone within range as an automatic hit. I have used him and Kraken to good effect in the middle of the pitch to knock down a player, hit them to trigger a playbook drag on a high def model, then knock them down. Proceed to kick while down.

I had good results with running him with Kraken or Fangtooth (foul odor makes it hard to get out of drag range once you stand up again). I would then have Sakana, Greyscales and Jac running the wings trying to mop up the ball. I played with Salt on the wing with Jac as ball retrieval/goal threat but I have heard other players run Corsair with Tentacles providing gang bonus with his 2" melee in the scrum in the middle.

Also keep an eye out for the Plot card that gives character plays a +2" range if you haven't moved yet, can make for an unexpected harpoon on a "safe" model.

I have used regular Siren to great effect to drag people into a position where most of the team can dish out a pounding. Gutter has been a must have throughout Season 2, and I'm not sure if I'd change that, even with her changes - access to someone else who can deal momentous damage is very helpful, although I could see Avarisse and Greede being a suitable alternative that gives some options.

Sakana is a great player for Corsair, as he can always find something useful to do, whether that's crowding out and applying Weak point or scoring a goal. Angel can have a place, and it's possible for her to be taking 6 dice shots from the half way line with Corsair's Legendary up, but Greyscales is a more flexible model.

Kraken I am considering much more with his changes and the release of Vet Siren - losing Lure means having an extra drag isn't a bad idea, and he can also make her Def 5+ in the scrum. I find when I play Kraken with Corsair he rarely gets that much influence - the occasional KD or drag from the playbook can be useful for maximising the damage that Corsair and Gutter can do...

The line up I'm looking to try most currently is:

Corsair
Salt
Vet Siren
Kraken
Sakana
Gutter

Arguably, Tentacles could also work here, but you already have a solid centre and having 3 players (Sakana, Siren and Salt) that can make a break for the goal is pretty useful.

Well i like pure and don't See any need for gutter (plus i hate that model) .

My Line Up with him is Corsair, tentacles, Kraken, Greyscales, Sakana and Jac.

Just Mob and Drag everything into One Ball of death and See the opponent Fall apart.

Thanks for the advice. I'm going to have to give these a try and see how my playstyle with him works out. A lot of different team comps with him which is exciting. I'll probably give your list a go first FearLord just because it exposes me to more models i haven't played before rather than crutching on familiar ones. then i can edit it if i feel like i'm really missing ones like greyscales and moving towards the lists that have more familiar ones. 

i'm also kind of interested in Gutter because she seems like the real queen of mixed forum opinions. half the people say "take her take her" and the other half don't like her anymore so i have to see what the commotion is all about

Personally I'm a real fan of Angel with Corsair. The main issue with Angel is that she's pretty fragile and not very self-sufficient since she doesn't have any good way of disengaging herself from an enemy on her own. But since Corsair is so good at taking the ball away from the enemy team and controlling opposing models, he frees up Angel to focus entirely on taking shots. Not to mention that she gets a 6/12 Kick and Close Control when she's under the effects of Corsair's legendary and Super Shot.

Another model to remember is Hemlocke. Corsair is difficult to interact with, but with a defense of 3, it's not exactly difficult for teams like the Alchemists or Hunters to tag him with conditions. Hemlocke can keep the big man ticking without costing you momentum. Her generally solid stats, Blind, and Noxious blast make her a generally quality model who counters condition-focused factions or builds.

Honestly, Corsair as a captain is kind of good at everything. His team isn't as fast as Shark's, but they're still Fish so they're plenty quick. He is a scary fighter by himself and can be joined by other solid brawlers like Kraken, Jac, Gutter, Avarisse and Greede, and Sakana. Add in Corsair's ability to engage the enemy via Drag and Lure on Siren to make up for his personal lack of speed and a Legendary which makes his teammates even more frightening scorers and you have a team designed to go for 2 goals and 2 take outs. That kind of diversity was extremely valuable in Season 2 and I can't imagine it will change much in Season 3.

I've been having stupid fun with Corsair, Salt, Jac, Kraken, Siren, and one other which was most recently Gutter. Jac and Salt are my scoring duo running up one board edge while everyone else keeps the opposing team busy and on the ground. 

On 06/12/2016 at 11:18 PM, Napoleon said:

Thanks for the advice. I'm going to have to give these a try and see how my playstyle with him works out. A lot of different team comps with him which is exciting. I'll probably give your list a go first FearLord just because it exposes me to more models i haven't played before rather than crutching on familiar ones. then i can edit it if i feel like i'm really missing ones like greyscales and moving towards the lists that have more familiar ones. 

i'm also kind of interested in Gutter because she seems like the real queen of mixed forum opinions. half the people say "take her take her" and the other half don't like her anymore so i have to see what the commotion is all about

Gutter is generally weaker than she was before, its hard to argue with that. She's still valuable to Corsair for all the reasons she was before though - momentous damage.

Corsair is a beast, but most take out strategies need momentous damage in order to be a good use of resources - having another player that can do this is extremely valuable. Scything blow being higher on her playbook isn't a huge issue for me either, as Corsair is all about ganging up on players for wraps, and this makes it much easier to hit those higher playbook results. You need to be careful with positioning her for Scything blows anyway so sometimes you only really want the momentous 2 damage.

Having 2 players that can do consistent momentous damage gives you a lot of flexibility in your strategy.

I like:

Corsair, Tentacles, vSiren, Greyscales, Sakana, A&G

I really enjoy this lineup, because it gives me a solid middle, two wingers, and the ability to play any style from football, beats or control.

I'd like to get Kraken in here too, but not sure if that would be for Sakana or A&G.

A&G is a model i very much want to try, especially with vSiren who can potentially activate late in a beatdown and at bare minimum gain +4 TAC just from singled out + the double gang from greede and avarisse, with her 3 length playbook if you get someone whos KD'd she could turn into a momentum (and even damage) machine under those circumstances.

i'll have to give your list a go too daner023. finding a way to get greyscales in is always big on my priority. 

With corsair how do you guys go about allocating INF? I won my corsair game against my friend with 1 goal and 4 take outs (Corsair vs Theron) using Corsair, Salt, Kraken, Gutter, Sakana and V.Siren but i was having a lot of problem getting things done with my non corsair models. i kept giving him 6 and he would beat on people and reel people in and it was more or less the one man corsair show. After sakana's goal w/ one legged stance the ball ended up on egret (freshly returned) who corsair dragged in, took the ball off and killed again. 

but gutter basically ended up doing nothing. Vsiren only occassionaly got to do things. kraken did his job i think, he mostly stood next to people and was just a big fat guy with a KD on 1 that they couldn't get away from. 

Should i be giving Corsair so much INF every time? i thought it was quite advantageous as long as he could take someone out, which he managed every round from 2 onwards. it also caused me to win the momentum race quite handily every turn. But the rest of my team felt a bit strangled with half of the teams resources going to the big man straight up.

4 hours ago, Napoleon said:

A&G is a model i very much want to try, especially with vSiren who can potentially activate late in a beatdown and at bare minimum gain +4 TAC just from singled out + the double gang from greede and avarisse, with her 3 length playbook if you get someone whos KD'd she could turn into a momentum (and even damage) machine under those circumstances.

i'll have to give your list a go too daner023. finding a way to get greyscales in is always big on my priority. 

With corsair how do you guys go about allocating INF? I won my corsair game against my friend with 1 goal and 4 take outs (Corsair vs Theron) using Corsair, Salt, Kraken, Gutter, Sakana and V.Siren but i was having a lot of problem getting things done with my non corsair models. i kept giving him 6 and he would beat on people and reel people in and it was more or less the one man corsair show. After sakana's goal w/ one legged stance the ball ended up on egret (freshly returned) who corsair dragged in, took the ball off and killed again. 

but gutter basically ended up doing nothing. Vsiren only occassionaly got to do things. kraken did his job i think, he mostly stood next to people and was just a big fat guy with a KD on 1 that they couldn't get away from. 

Should i be giving Corsair so much INF every time? i thought it was quite advantageous as long as he could take someone out, which he managed every round from 2 onwards. it also caused me to win the momentum race quite handily every turn. But the rest of my team felt a bit strangled with half of the teams resources going to the big man straight up.

I almost always give Corsair 6 and generally activate him as early as possible to try and take out someone with Influence. 2 to Vet Siren is usually going to be a good idea (so she always has the option to pay for a Dread gaze, although if your crowding out situation is good enough, you should have no trouble getting it from the playbook, so could get away with 1). Kraken won't need any more than 1 after the first turn for the occasional knock down, but should only get it if no one else can use it better. I would probably give 2 to Sakana (to allow for goal opportunities / applying some Weak point) and the rest to Gutter as your back up hit / drag in model. She's great at finishing off models Corsair almost killed, and fantastic at taking advantage of players trying to rescue a crowded out friend - if she can position to engage a knocked down crowded out target and some other fools with 1" Melee, she can do some horrible scything blows.

5 minutes ago, NowYouSeeMe said:

Corsair, Tentacles, Kraken, Fangooth, Vet Siren and Greyscales would be my 6 for sure. 

Wow, you got a lot of 40mm bases there, but very little INF. Really curious if this is a problem.

My last two games I played Corsair, Salt, vSiren, Greyscales, Sakana and A&G. Singled Out is gold for the team, at one point vSiren was rolling 9 dice each swing, wrapping every single attack and dealing 4 damage per swing (plus some push/doges and dread gaze).

1 hour ago, TimBo said:

Wow, you got a lot of 40mm bases there, but very little INF. Really curious if this is a problem.

My last two games I played Corsair, Salt, vSiren, Greyscales, Sakana and A&G. Singled Out is gold for the team, at one point vSiren was rolling 9 dice each swing, wrapping every single attack and dealing 4 damage per swing (plus some push/doges and dread gaze).

i have to agree on not going full 40mm bases although i get the strategy of FAT MANNING your way up the board, but i love my INF too much to start  giving it all up. A&G i have not tried yet but are what i'm going to try soon for sure. i might have to give that team a go. Trying to find the right balance between inf and fat guys is the struggle, especially in a guild thats spoiled for choice with everyone except angel feeling pretty good and angels still basically a [almost]guaranteed goal (before death) if you recieve.

I actually had my first success last night with my corsair line up. I was running

Corsair, Tentacles, Sakana, Greyscales, V siren, and Kraken

was playing against hunters, and corsair and kraken just controlled the board. the crowd outs are awesome and harpooning people in and then if you don't kill them shoving them out with krakens release the... is nasty. plus V siren is a boss. I was thinking about putting gutter in instead of v siren but she can dish out just as much dmg and serves as a defensive piece as well. plus with her 2 row push and dodge move she can get to some really hairy places and grab the ball and pass it around. I will always be fielding v siren just because I think she is the most versatile player on our roster.