• Announcements

• Mako

Training Ground   02/14/2018

There’s a new section in the guild ball area designed to help rookies, but it needs others to help out - why not write a post for it? Anything that’s good for people to know, whatever faction they’re starting out with!
MilitaryCoo

Resolving scatter

Page 30 says that the final landing spot is determined by "measuring  the  scatter-distance  in  the  scatter-direction  from  the   current location of the ball-marker."

This implies that the "current location of the ball marker" is the target spot/model/goal post.

However, page 31 syas that  "[o]nce you have determined the final landing-spot, the  ball-path is centred on the line between the current  location  of  the  ball-marker  and  the  final  landing   spot.", and then goes on to talk about the "the  ball-path  between  the  kicking  model  and  the   final  landing-spot".

Does this mean that the "ball-path" for determining if terrain interferes with the ball's movement is different from the "ball-path" used for intercepting models?

Aye the rules for scatter and ball-path seem odd - scatter ball-path to a target spot (measured from target spot to scatter location) is completely different from if you missed when passing to a player (measured from kicker to scatter location)! Is that really the intent? 

I don't understand your question.

The Standard-Scatter only occurs from a spot where the ball marker allready is at the moment. From there it scatters and the ball path is drawn from the starting spot to the scatter location.

The Kick-Scatter works differently because you kicked the ball. Starting at spot #1, the kicking player. You kick to spot #2, the intended receiving target. You scatter from #2 to spot #3. The balls final landing spot. The ball path is then drawn from spot #1 to spot #3. Same as in Season II.

Quite simple :)

Yep - but look at what happens when you kick to OPEN SPACE rather than a player. It is different - it explicitly states you move the ball-marker to the kick point and then scatter. It then says ball-path is from kick point (because the ball marker has been moved away from the kicker) to scatter point. It's different right? I'm not going mad am I?

I'm also unsure how interception works then. Is it just from the kick-point to scatter location? That seems a bit weird considering the interception rules for a kick to a player.

Oh i think i see what you mean now.

Because on page 28 it says "If the target is a target-spot, place the ball-marker centred on the target-spot and immediately scatter using the kick-scatter rules."

And on Page 31 it says "Once you have determined the final landing-spot, the ball-path is centred on the line between the current location of the ball-marker and the final landing spot."

So if you read it like this the ball path would be between the target spot and the final landing spot.

Problem is. On Page 30 it says under Kick-Scatter "Hold the kick-scatter template over the target friendly model, targetspot, or target enemy goal-post".

So i guess we really need a final ruling from the lawyers guild.

Mostly posting this for completions sake, because without it the "location of the ball marker" is easily confused and its 4 pages before the scatter rules:

Page 26

While a model is in possession of the ball-marker, the ball-marker has no location on the Pitch. The model in possession is considered to be the current location of the ballmarker.

The real issue is that the scatter roll rules contain an outdated or unnecessary line that directly conflicts with rules defined TWICE before it:

Page 30

The ball-marker’s final landing-spot is determined by measuring the scatter-distance in the scatter-direction from the current location of the ball-marker.

Page 30 (the paragraph before the one posted above)

Hold the kick-scatter template over the target friendly model, targetspot, or target enemy goal-post with the centre line pointing in the direction the ball-marker was originally travelling. The resolve a scatter roll.

Page 28

5. Upon an unsuccessful Kick: • If the target is a friendly model, scatter the ball-marker from that friendly model using the kick-scatter rules. • If the target is a goal-post, scatter the ball-marker from that goal-post using the kick-scatter rules. • If the target is a target-spot, place the ball-marker centred on the target-spot and immediately scatter using the kick-scatter rules.

When passing to a player, determine intercepting models and other kick modifiers based on the ball path from the kicking to the receiving player.  Then roll your dice.  If you get a successful pass, then we're done.

If you miss your pass, place the Kick-Scatter (the half circle) centered on the receiving model.  Then roll a d6 for direction and a d6 for distance, and put the ball down at that spot.  Now draw a line from the kicking model to the final location of the ball.  Any models on that path have a chance to intercept and gain possession of the ball.  Any Barriers or Obstructions *on that path* will stop the ball.

When passing to a spot, place the ball down where you want it to go.  Determine any intercepting models and other kick modifiers based on the ball path from the kicker to the ball marker.  Then roll your dice.  If you get a successful kick, you can reroll the next step.

Place the Kick-Scatter centered on the Ball-marker.  Then roll a d6 for direction and a d6 for distance.  If you got a successful kick and don't like your scatter results, now is when you reroll (Reroll both direction and distance and you must accept the new result).  Then put the ball marker down at that spot.  Now draw a line from the kicking model to the final location of the ball.  Any models on that path have a chance to intercept and gain possession of the ball.A.  Any Barriers or Obstructions *on that path* will stop the ball.

Goal-Kicks (the kick you make to return the ball to play) cannot be intercepted, and they ignore barriers and obstructions.

I can't find the previous forum thread about this but there is another post that has images for what I described.

EDIT: The picture on page 31 of the season 3 rulebook shows how to scatter and draw ball paths.

Also, @lawyer, the 2nd to last paragraph on page 30 says " The resolve a scatter roll."  That should probably say "Then resolve a scatter roll."

Sure, but that's not what the rules say. I think someone accidentally put in the clause about moving the ball-token immediately to the kick point, then scattering it then determining ball path from the kick point to the scatter point. I agree this is only for terrain purposes seemingly, but it seems silly as it's the only time the ball-path changes and it will make teaching it to players a pain (especially after a whole season of correcting players who thought the ball 'bounced' from kick point to the scatter point). I would guess this is taking so long because the lawyers try to work out why this was changed in S3 and how to deal with it. 

Currently I'm playing it S2 style - the kicking model is always the source for determining ball-path - until they confirm they really want it the new way for loose ball kicks.

"If the target is a target-spot, place the ball-marker centred on the target-spot and immediately scatter using the kick-scatter rules."

Is this the line you have a problem with?  I read that as placing the ball down for the purposes of having a spot to scatter from...  You won't be able to place the scatter template down without having a spot to center it on/draw the alignment line through.  I can definitely see room for confusion though.

"The ball hooks and slices, but it does not bounce."

For tracking purposes, that same wording is on page 28, under Upon a Successful Kick:
"If the target is a target-spot, place the ball-marker centred on the target-spot and immediately scatter using the kick-scatter rules. The player may choose to re-roll the entire kick-scatter once but must accept the re-rolled result. "

EDIT: LunarSol juked me by putting his quotes out of order.

On 28/11/2016 at 8:36 PM, MilitaryCoo said:

Page 30 says that the final landing spot is determined by "measuring  the  scatter-distance  in  the  scatter-direction  from  the   current location of the ball-marker."

This implies that the "current location of the ball marker" is the target spot/model/goal post.

However, page 31 syas that  "[o]nce you have determined the final landing-spot, the  ball-path is centred on the line between the current  location  of  the  ball-marker  and  the  final  landing   spot.", and then goes on to talk about the "the  ball-path  between  the  kicking  model  and  the   final  landing-spot".

Does this mean that the "ball-path" for determining if terrain interferes with the ball's movement is different from the "ball-path" used for intercepting models?

The first sentence of the first paragraph on pg31 should say "Once you have determined the final landing-spot, the ball-path is centred on the line between the kicking model and the final landing spot." 

This section was rewritten late in the day in an effort to make the kicking rules clearer, and unfortunately, we missed this wording. This will be updated in an errata soon. 

Cheers.