• Announcements

• Mako

Union in Chains Pictures   10/14/2017

With union in chains in full swing, everyone wants to upload a few pictures with their battle report (they're highly recommended to ensure your report is accepted as valid). Check the Union in Chains section for some handy advice (and user avatars) before you start!  
tarkand

A bit of a cold shower wouldn't you say? (S3)

So... those S3 cards, amirite?

Jeacar, Zarola and Egrett unchanged.

Hearne got +2'' on his kick. Which isn't bad, but I've personally never felt this was what he needed help with.

Theron lost Forest Sight, can only place his forest at the beginning of his activation (not anytime) but said forest can now be within 2'' of other terrain piece instead of 3''.

As of writing this, it doesn't seem like Chaska has been seen yet.

So yeah. 

Theron's forest is now a lot less versatile (Having to place it before you move greatly limits what you can do with it) and I don't think gaining 1'' of possible placement will help... 2 terrain piece 7'' apart still create a huge 'no forest' zone on the pitch. I'll need to play around with it, but this doesn't seem like a great trade. A less versatile forest also means a less versatile Hearne, so it remain to see if that +2'' kick make up for the forest change.

Losing Forest Sight is a nerf as well. That being said, I can only remember a handful of game where it was all that important. A pre-existing forest was in a good spot and I was able to abuse it - did not make for a fun game for my opponent, so I can kinda understand the change. 

Now those are not what I'd call big nerfs - Theron's forest was already hard to put down properly because of the terrain rules, I often end up just putting it front of my goal to cause a kick penalty... there's just no room for it. So those change aren't really going to affect that. The nerf came down on cornercase abilities. 

But I still I feel like Theron is a weak captain and clearly Hunters are not recognized as a strong team (Tournament results speak for themselves, but the Double Dodge Guys reaction at the idea of a hunter team being in the steamcon invitational during their last episode speak volume) so this made me believe that we would see much bigger change than this and well... buffs mainly.

So color me disappointed.

Seenah clearly got better tho, so there's that :).

Here's hoping we get some more good news tomorrow :)

It's certainly a little disappointing but I'm in it for the long haul with the Hunters so I'll adjust. I was hoping for some more buffs but honestly it could be worse than things staying the same. Minx and Seenah both got some pretty big changes that make the team stronger. Hearne getting a longer kick range increases our footballing ability more than it seems I feel. His 4" kick was one reason I regularly chose Seenah over him, so getting a 6" kick is great. A slight Zarola buff would have been nice but I'm fine with her staying the same and Jaecar staying the same is awesome. 

I'll wait to see what tomorrow bro get before getting too down. Despite things being relatively the same I'm still really excited to get my first season 3 game in!

I think the change to Nature's Growth just makes Zarola that much better. My favorite open move on receiving a kick off is Midnight Offering someone to get the ball. Using Midnight Offering on Theron before he activates now makes his forest placement harder to predict. Hunters have always needed a bit of setup to be at there best, this is just another layer.

Another possibility is that forests could be losing their LOS blocking power, which would then render Forest Sight unnecessary. We haven't seen the S3 rulebook, after all. The start of activation stuff is really disappointing, though. I just don't see how someone could look at Theron and say, now here's a model we need to tone down. It's not a huge nerf, by any stretch of the imagination, but it just stings.

I really wouldn't understand if forests lose the LoS blocking properties. I already feel that LoS blocking hardly comes up as is and would like to see more terrain that blocks LoS not less.

I don't even play Hunters (anymore) and I'm disappoinTed by these changes.

But they should be getting a few new models so maybe that will bump them up a bit.

32 minutes ago, Azreal13 said:

Isn't a forest that doesn't block LOS functionally just rough ground?

It'd still provide cover and it gives penalties to kicking in and out of it.

Still, it'd be a pretty weird change to no longer block LOS.

Frankly the changes (or lack of) all seems a bit baffling.

I felt sure Hearne and Zarola would receive mild buffs and Jaecar would perhaps have got his edge dulled a little. I felt Egret was where she was meant to be, but wouldn't have complained about a touch more ball playing ability. That Theron has been nerfed is the biggest surprise though, he's barely a footnote in the "who is the best captain" discussion as it is, but such is the fate of the 7 out of 10 in all depts style of player he is, I guess. 

The one one thought I did have was that snared may have been buffed a little, which would indirectly buff Theron (and every other player who seems to have stayed the same,) but I can't see that it needed changing, and I think it is pretty potent as it stands. 

I'm with those of you completely perplexed. Theron is the worst or at least near the bottom of the captain curve. A nerd to him however slight seems crazy. Having to place the forest at the start is a massive nerd to Hearne too. You already had to telegraph the placement, now you have even less flexibility. Yikes. Perhaps with the new players it will look brighter.

The worry there is this whole "agony of decision" philosophy behind the design that was talked about a little while back. We can see the line that the existing S2 players have been drawn up to, so it is reasonable to assume that the new players won't cross it. 

I mean, new toys is awesome, but by the logical extension of the "no no-brainers" ambition, the new capt isn't going to be obviously better than Theron, who was already pretty ordinary.

Hey, you never know. Maybe Chaska's Boom Box will get a guild ball on three. That would be something.

And we have at least a Captain and likely two or three models remaining to give us parity. There is still hope!

I am trying not to overreact but it's proving... challenging. I was under the impression that guilds were largely making a shift towards playing football yet we got no buffs in that department outside of Hearne. I am a far cry from God's Gift to Guild Ball when it comes to skill but the amount of troubles I've been having with this team really had me quite excited for some changes in Season 3 to ease my troubles. Disheartened is the only word I can muster here.

It leaves me wondering what our Guild's like.. "thing" is. Traps are dope but we have 2 models that can do it in 8 and Engineers have a trap model too, unless she's been changed. Snare was ours and definitely still is, but "Snare" is not a unique and interesting mechanic. We see shades of snare in other places (gut and string, meathook, obviously Snare on Midas' pretty goofy legendary) So while I can agree that it's still our "thing" I don't know that it's really that interesting or useful of one. It definitely isn't ranged character plays because Engineers have that on lock. (New Salvo is probably the most tilting thing I've seen when looking at cards. Why is he a winger with a strikers playbook, a ball control character play, a dodge from character plays, a 3/8 kick, AND his own personal Blessing of the Sun Father? How did that card get printed but when Egret, a striker, was being looked at the decision was "No, she's perfect.") Isolating targets would be a sweet "thing" if threat ranges didn't immediately scale to absurdity and our team wasn't inherently quite frail (I'm looking at you, Hooper, Tapper, Shank, etc) We have an incredibly hard time protecting the ball with our 2 models with 2" melee whose defense is so low they get KD'd like they just finished vocational school learning how to be KD'd. Not to mention the deepest tackles in the game.

So what I'm understanding is, we can't hold the ball, we have a hard time retrieving it. We're fragile, so we can't scrum in the middle. We largely have bad kicks, very little reach, are extremely susceptible to being controlled. What are we supposed to actually be doing? I often find myself asking "How am I supposed to actually win this game?" I was hoping Season 3 would address these in any meaningful way and thus far it really just hasn't unless I am really just missing something, which is possible and I hope is the case.

The more I look at Engineers, I feel like they are basically everything the Hunters are but more efficient and can actually play football with reliability. Basically you trade snare for KD and Sunstrike becomes a passive ability on their captain. I... I just don't understand. I'm not mad. I'm nowhere near in a place where I'm about to give up the team I love the Guild. I just want to understand. Help me understand.

Today was a very disappointing day as a hunters player. I understand that the fish team not getting many changes meant they were fine as a team in terms of power level, but to consider hunters to be "fine as a team" is ignoring all the tournament results that they've been collecting. 

I still love the hunter's style and will continue to play them, but my hopes of bringing them to a tournament and be competitive with them just got dashed a little today. Let's hope tomorrow brings us some good season 3 characters that will make things better. 

Wow GB messed up Hunters something fierce. They took the weakest Captain Theron and made him worse. Hearne still sucks. No changes to Zarola. GB dropped the ball on making Hunters a competitive team. 

Unless, they make the other Hunters and next captain good. So dissappointing. 

1 hour ago, WarPanda said:

Wow GB messed up Hunters something fierce. They took the weakest Captain Theron and made him worse. Hearne still sucks. No changes to Zarola. GB dropped the ball on making Hunters a competitive team. 

Unless, they make the other Hunters and next captain good. So dissappointing. 

We don't know what new models we will get, and thus what synergies might exist between the new and old ones. In my eyes, it's a bit early to call doom on the old players. Players don't exist in a vacuum after all.

Has anyone who has seen Theron's / Hearne's card checked to see if Blessing of the Sun Father became guild only like a lot of other buffs have? Because if so then Hemlocke basically stops being a character that's viable to bring, too.

1 minute ago, Khift said:

Has anyone who has seen Theron's / Hearne's card checked to see if Blessing of the Sun Father became guild only like a lot of other buffs have? Because if so then Hemlocke basically stops being a character that's viable to bring, too.

No, it's still "target other friendly model".

Just now, Dirial said:

No, it's still "target other friendly model".

At least that's good, then. That was a change I was very worried about going into season 3. The Hunter's roster is limited enough, it certainly doesn't need to become more constrained.