Steamforged

Season 3 - Bonesaw

Apologies if this forum post is a bit of an unexpected arrival, but we wanted to spoil everyone’s favourite slightly-too-obsessed-with-death former priest, Bonesaw!

bonesaw front.jpgbonesaw back.jpg

So, you’ll see the man himself has changed slightly since his initial outing in Season 2. What we found with Bonesaw in S2 was that we hit the ‘weird, funky, Mortician’ vibe bang on the head, which was fantastic. However, he was a character that took quite a lot of work to get the most out of, particularly in his chosen profession of being a striker. So going into the S3 playtest, Bonesaw was a model we really wanted to take a look at; to both maintain his cool funky Mortician nature, and to really bring out his strikerness (not a word, but we’ve typed it now).

So, looking at the front of his card, his attributes are unchanged. His Playbook, however, has had several tweaks to make it better, upping his high end momentous damage and adding more dodges to it, bringing his innate dodginess (also not a word) out and helping him manoeuver around the Pitch.

The second part of upping his mobility, always important for a striker, is the new version of Football Dervish. While the original Football Dervish was a cool ability, it was a static ability. As we’ve shown with Blackheart and Midas already, we’ve really tried to push harder in Season 3 to make Guild Ball more about mobility and action. Of course, the game’s always been very action driven, but we wanted it to be MORE about action and movement. So the new version of Football Dervish provides this, allowing Bonesaw to ‘bounce’ the ball off a friendly model, using them like a wall at football practice, and letting him run to space to receive the return pass.

The new version of Football Dervish is so, so cool, and it really lets Bonesaw get around the pitch, upping his manoeuvrability to silly levels!

Offensive Defense has also seen a change, now it adds [+1] DEF permanently to Bonesaw after he scores a goal. This is just simpler than the previous version, and incentivises scoring goals with him. So not only is he better at scoring goals, but he gets bonuses for doing so! The final part of the package in making him a top class goal scorer is Slippery, which lets him make better use of Swift Wind.

One thing Bonesaw has lost is Reanimate. After the rewrites above, we realised that this rule just didn't fit with the vision for the model in Season 3. Bonesaw hits the spot perfectly of being a funky, weird, Mortician style striker – and we think he's pretty damn cool!

As always, remember to let us know what you think on our social media, and right here! And of course, tune back into the forums on Thursday for one last spoiler before STEAMCON!

That’s all folks!

It's a good thing that the start of game rules are always Championship style now. It makes him much better.

Pick Bonesaw if you're receiving the ball. As long as you can hit a couple passes, he pretty reliably scores a turn one goal and becomes an actually pretty good player. He has a 26" goal threat if he's got 4 influence and someone to bounce passes off, or a 22" goal threat starting with zero momentum.

Alternatively, if Bonesaw has the ball, he basically has a 1-inf repeatable Character Play that is a Friendly-Only version of Tidal Surge. Might be pretty good for general team mobility.

He's garbage if you're kicking though, since he dies to a stiff breeze. Still, being a pretty strong choice in ~50% of games is not a bad place to be.

18 minutes ago, LeadDiceandBeers said:

Glory be!

Football Dervish - receiving model can't use a Teamwork action but can Bonesaw still dodge 4" after making a pass or is it instead of any Teamwork action?

The way it is currently worded it would be Bonesaw may make a Teamwork action but the receiving model cannot. Both the Dervish and Bonesaw's Teamwork action cost momentum though.

Bonesaw can go a goofy distance with this play especially since it's not OPT, though it's pretty expensive and I'd feel uncomfortable relying on that many 3-die kicks. He's a tiny little Pin Vice every turn, but with worse kicks on his teammates. Fun!

He's still not going to be taking the ball off of most models with his Tackle on 2, but once he has the ball he'll be pretty useful.  Still not quite a match for Mist, but very cool and unique.

Could we get a official wording on if this is a legal play?

Needs 2MP/4influence before activating:

1) Pass to a friendly and Bonesaw uses Give'N'Go to dodge 4". At the same time Football Dervish triggers. (wording states 'the friendly model may...instead of making'. does not appear to limit Bonesaw from making a teamwork action and Football Dervish) We've now gained 1MP up to 3, but spent 1 for the initial give'n'go back to 2MP.

2) Friendly model then spends 1MP to pass back to Bonesaw bringing the momentum count to 1MP. The successful pass bumps us to 2MP. Bonesaw triggers Pass'n'Move which brings us down to 1MP. Bonesaw is still on 3 influence. and has dodged 8" total.

3) Bonesaw sprints. He's now moved 16" total and has 2inf remaining.

4) Bonesaw uses Meditation and now has 1inf remaining.

5) Bonesaw declares a kick (shot). Spends his last influence and MP. Rolls 3 dice. Misses the goal. and rerolls all 3 dice to score

Just now, tehlon said:

6 minutes ago, TheLieutenant said:

This is correct. :) 

Oops. Replied a minute too late lol.

Wow. 24 inch goal threat on an effectively a 6/8" kick.

Just now, tehlon said:

Needs 2MP/4influence before activating:

1) Pass to a friendly and Bonesaw uses Give'N'Go to dodge 4". At the same time Football Dervish triggers. (wording states 'the friendly model may...instead of making'. does not appear to limit Bonesaw from making a teamwork action and Football Dervish) We've now gained 1MP up to 3, but spent 1 for the initial give'n'go back to 2MP.

2) Friendly model then spends 1MP to pass back to Bonesaw bringing the momentum count to 1MP. The successful pass bumps us to 2MP. Bonesaw triggers Pass'n'Move which brings us down to 1MP. Bonesaw is still on 3 influence. and has dodged 8" total.

3) Bonesaw sprints. He's now moved 16" total and has 2inf remaining.

4) Bonesaw uses Meditation and now has 1inf remaining.

5) Bonesaw declares a kick (shot). Spends his last influence and MP. Rolls 3 dice. Misses the goal. and rerolls all 3 dice to score

This is indeed a legal manoeuvre. :) 

11 minutes ago, Slothrop said:

The way it is currently worded it would be Bonesaw may make a Teamwork action but the receiving model cannot. Both the Dervish and Bonesaw's Teamwork action cost momentum though.

He has such a range though, he can pass and go

2 minutes ago, TheLieutenant said:

I wonder if because it says when a model receives a successful pass it must IMMEDIATELY spend one MP to pass back that makes it so he cannot teamwork on his pass to the other player.

I think Bonesaw has the highest threat range of any model in Guild Ball.

assuming a ton of momentum in the bank and 4 inf

Pass, dodge, 4", pass back, dodge another 4", repeat 3 times for 24" of dodges as a cost of 6MOM and 3INF.

Jog 6" for 30" of movement.

Kick 8" for a total of 38" goal threat (if you have 7 momentum).

6 minutes ago, Jrcitizen said:

I mean an unaided 24 inch goal threat as long as you have momentum with meditation up seems good....just need to make the passes. 

Given that it requires a friendly model to be nearby with a reliable kick stat, the threat is not exactly unaided.  However, the opportunity cost is very low indeed.  

So he has built in One-Touch Football...bloody hell. I thought the game was being slowed down a bit but it looks like all these changes are making football king. Bonesaw looks amazing. Of course a better way to make Bonesaw more played would be to remove Mist from the Morticians as it still makes no sense they can have the best striker in a team of crap strikers!

1 minute ago, Cleavelander said:

Given that it requires a friendly model to be nearby with a reliable kick stat, the threat is not exactly unaided.  However, the opportunity cost is very low indeed.  

I imagine Bonesaw/Mist teams are going to be scary. Mist just needs to get to the middle of the table and act as a 16" pass bubble for Bonesaw to score. 

3 minutes ago, Spinsane said:

I wish I liked the model as much as I like his new rules... Guess I'll get a resin copy next week-end and try to convert it...

One of my favorite models in the range!  Different strokes for different folks.

21 minutes ago, DeathlyDrew said:

I wonder if because it says when a model receives a successful pass it must IMMEDIATELY spend one MP to pass back that makes it so he cannot teamwork on his pass to the other player.

If two things require immediate action, they both can happen, and the player in control decides their order.

18 minutes ago, TheLieutenant said:

I know you are a member of the lawyers guild but I'm not sure this is correct as written. 

So the rule book states  "Only one Teamwork action may be selected per successful Pass" and Bone Saw's card states "make a pass that targets this model instead of making a Teamwork action." 

Instead implies that it takes the place of a teamwork action and effectively "counts as" a teamwork action fulfilling the one team work action per pass clause.

I think for this to work it would have to say. "make a pass that targets this model the friendly model may not make a Teamwork action." 

Please tell me why I am wrong.

Edit: maybe the first pass cannot generate teamwork but the pass back can?

1 minute ago, TheCurkov said:

I know you are a member of the lawyers guild but I'm not sure this is correct as written. 

So the rule book states  "Only one Teamwork action may be selected per successful Pass" and Bone Saw's card states "make a pass that targets this model instead of making a Teamwork action." 

Instead implies that it takes the place of a teamwork action and effectively "counts as" a teamwork action fulfilling the one team work action per pass clause.

I think for this to work it would have to say. "make a pass that targets this model the friendly model may not make a Teamwork action." 

Please tell me why I am wrong.

Because it is two passes. Football Dervish does not limit bonesaw from using give'n'go. it only limits the teammate. 

It works exactly like one touch football except you spend MP rather than a plot card.