Steamforged

Season 3 - Who has the best hat in town?

If you go down to the seedy underbelly today, you’re in for a big surprise… Union Players, we know you’re still digesting the lovely Blackheart shaped treat we gave you yesterday, but we have another treat for you today! Today's post will take a look at the Season 3 transformation of none other than Harry the Hat, and then we'll take a closer look at what really happened to the Selective Trait. We there’s been a lot of speculation since we showed you Minx's card, so it's time to introduce the new Guild Reference Cards!

harry front.jpg

harry back.jpg

Harry’s had a lot of changes going into Season 3, so bear with us while we talk through them all.

First off, he’s an absolute beast now. Look at him. He’s one of our coolest models, but his rules didn’t QUITE live up to how awesome his model is. Well no more! Look at him. Look at that Playbook, it’s a thing of righteous beauty. In combination with his new 2” melee range, he can now really Push enemy models around and knock them down, and generate momentum for doing so! He can even stick damage on the enemy once they’re knocked down and he can start hitting that momentous 2 DMG and double Push on the fourth column.

You’ll notice that, in addition to being drastically improved, it’s also been shortened, in accordance with our general look at models with longer Playbooks.

He has also gained an additional point of INF, taking him to [2/4], meaning he gets to contribute to the game more, even when he himself can’t get to swinging his wrench in melee or set the enemy on fire. Speaking of, eagle eyed readers will already know this from Stoker, but Molotov is now an ongoing-effect AOE, making it easier to spread fire across the Pitch. Burn, baby burn!

The back of his card has seen fewer changes than the front, Rising Anger and Crazy are still there, but we wanted to represent his extremely cunning hat a little better.

Previously, having to spend [1] MP to gain a small TAC buff for friendly models near to Harry was good, but situational. A small aura, coupled with the fact that he had to trigger it, meant it just wasn’t as cool or as useful as it could have been. In addition, when we were looking at Union options going into Season 3, we knew they skewed quite heavily towards damage over actually playing the beautiful game.

While that’s not a problem, we definitely knew we wanted to improve the Union’s footballing capability. As you saw with Blackheart yesterday (and if you didn’t, you should!) pushing more options for Union Players outside of the classic ‘smash face’ plan was a big goal for us going into Season 3. Harry’s new Inspiring Hat is a perfect example of this, passively allowing other friendly models within the aura to make cheaper Teamwork actions.

This lets the Union generate momentum from successful Passes, bank that momentum, AND use Teamwork actions to move all over the Pitch, making them both more mobile and more momentum efficient.

Now obviously, this only works when models are within a small area close to Harry, AND he himself can’t make cheaper actions, so careful positioning will be required to get the most out of this ability.

Of course, it’s not just the Union that can make use of Harry, the Alchemists, Brewers, Butchers, and Engineers can too…

And there’s still no Selective trait on his card. So how, we hear you cry, eyes raised to the heavens, do we know which Guilds can use which Union models? Well, I’ll tell you for how:

brewer.jpg

reference 1.jpg

These Guild Reference Cards are a new addition for Season 3, and currently they list, very simply, what models will work for each Guild. The seed (ha!) of these cards was planted when we started designing the Farmers. As many of you will have seen from Tater’s rules, the harvest-marker mechanic isn’t something we could put on an individual model’s card, it needed to be a Guild wide special rule. As a result, we decided the Farmers Starter Set would come with a reference card with the rules for harvest-markers on it. This means that, just like every other rule in Guild Ball barring the Core Rules, you can have the card sitting next to the table, and refer to it mid game.

Moving forward, we realised that as future Union models, and Guilds are released, we would need to be constantly reprinting and errata’ing cards to fix the Selective rule. Which seems like, frankly, both a lot of work of us, AND a bit of a pain for you guys to keep track of.

So we combined the two ideas into these Guild Reference Cards. These cards will come in the brand new Season 3 card packs, one for each Guild (except the Union, obv!), and each will list which Union models will play for that Guild this season. This provides a handy one stop reference, removing the need to constantly go back and check each individual Union model card to check if they’ll play for your Guild, now you just need to check a single card.

These cards will also cover, like with the Farmer’s, any Guild specific rules going forward, which provides ease of reference and time saving for you guys!

The cards will also, of course, like all Guild Ball rules, be freely available online with each Guild’s card download.

Let us know what you think of Harry, and the Guild Reference cards on our social media, or, of course, right here! TheLieutenant will be floating around the comments to answer any questions you may have for the next hour or so.

‘til next time, may your coffers be full, and your machinations many and varied! Happy Unioning!

- Molotov is Once Per Turn still, which is probably for the best.

- Goad still costs 1 which is pretty disappointing.

- Inspiring Hat is always on which is amazing. Blackheart is absurdly mobile now. Pin Vice is also laughing all the way to the bank.

- 2" melee zone and a good playbook is also pretty great. He can KD pretty reliably now - while he doesn't do that much damage, his counterattacks are great which seems to be a common theme in season 3 - even if he's only TAC4, he's still got pretty good odds of getting that double push.

- None of his stuff is Guild dependent, so looks like a solid Union choice for a lot of guilds.

He looks really good now. I'm going to have to find a new quote to engrave onto the wooden spoons for my events now!

Season 3 is giving us so many hard choices. I'm looking at him and Meathook and thinking how well they could control the midfield together, but then I'll have to miss out on Minx. Not to mention all my S2 stalwarts like Shank, Gutter, A&G...

I think I'll have to buy myself some more models!

12 minutes ago, Gauntlet said:

- Inspiring Hat is always on which is amazing. Blackheart is absurdly mobile now. Pin Vice is also laughing all the way to the bank.

- 2" melee zone and a good playbook is also pretty great. He can KD pretty reliably now - while he doesn't do that much damage, his counterattacks are great which seems to be a common theme in season 3 - even if he's only TAC4, he's still got pretty good odds of getting that double push.

- None of his stuff is Guild dependent, so looks like a solid Union choice for a lot of guilds.

With the new momentum rules, though, he can easily either do a silence and hit someone for a momentous push (probably), or use the freebie point, then bonus time a goad and drop a molotov at someone's feet to make it really hard for them to actually get to him, too.

So what you're saying is if Midas is standing within 8" of the goal and also within 4" of Harry, expect some free Snap Shots...

Seems like there will be a good spread of interesting interactions like this in S3, I can't wait!

1 hour ago, Gauntlet said:

Rising Anger, Crazy + a playbook full of momentous results and Inspiring hat makes him quite interesting for Brewers I'd say. All the MP's... 

The new hat looks so much better then the last one.  Glad to see it isn't FGO.  Not being heroic will help out a lot too.  Thought he looked pretty cool before, now he'll have a reason to see the pitch.

3 minutes ago, Banjulhu said:

@TheLieutenant, why was Goad kept at 1 inf and still once per turn?

Every play that is a one shot and unreliable is nearly always going to be looked on unfavourably because of it's low rate of success.

Goad is and will be a "high risk high reward" play. To get it off successfully once per game can completely screw your opponent. I guess that was always the design intent.

Well, as Commander Vimes said, Goad is a risk/reward play. Not all plays are created equal, since that would be boring. Some are intended to be plays that are core, integral to the model they're on. Others should be useful in most situations, but not entirely ubiquitous. Others, like Goad, are intended to be high risk/high reward Plays which aren't going to be relevant all the time, but when they come off, they have huge game changing effects. 

End of the day, the game needs a myriad of styles of Character Plays in order to stay vibrant and interesting. 

At least Goad isn't his only character play. Crazy situational high risk/reward plays aren't too bad when they only make up a small piece of a models toolset. Unlike some other characters...

Selective changes are as I expected they would be. I thought they might go into the rulebook but they're still moving to a centralised location rather than being printed on player cards.

I actually think that out of all the rebalanced cards, harrys seems really "good". I don't mean that he is now mega powerful and an auto include. more that they took a player who never got used and have given him just enough bumps to make him a solid choice. Nothing on his card screams bonkers good like some of the other reveals, but there is certainly some nice things there now. 

Yikes he looks really good. I may need to pick him up for Brewers. He does a lot of what the S2 models do, but better. I am a bit worried about his aura and the new Blackheart. That will be crazy mobility.

Starting to actually think I need to draw up some plays for field layout and trick plays.  How to line up Harry, his hat, and Blackheart to do a full reverse from one side of the pitch to the other and still get a goal.  All sorts for sporty type things.  Thinking Harry and Blackheart in the middle about 3.5 inches from each other.  Probably have Mist hide behind them with Hemlocke on one wing and Snakeskin on the other.  The possibilities are endless, so many options.  Why must you do this to us SFG?

Haven't painted him yet, but now I am pumped to do so. Combined with the new Long Bomb on Ratchet (and another reach option for us, woo!) I'm sensing some delightful jank tank depth. Not to mention the rad control game imposed by new Molotov + Blast Earth.

57 minutes ago, Siberys said:

Unfortunately this confirms Decimate's art wasn't updated. I guess she's still the amazing Bearded Woman.

Isnt decimate wearing a mask. So could that not have the beard on it?

Yeah, but it's the sort of mask that only covers the area around the eyes - see the miniature for what I mean. Decimate's art is very clearly an unmasked person with a goatee, and that's been one of the leading causes of in-game gender confusion I've hit up against.

EDIT: Attached is a close up from the S2 card. I've seen arguments that the mustache could be interpreted as the bottom of the mask, but as you can see it extends way past her face. Then there's the beard. :/

Add on top of that, while Decimate's figure is slight in the picture, I'd characterize it as masculine. The miniature itself accounts for these problems, but the card art does not. It's not a big deal, but I was hoping the art'd get a touch up - for the facial hair at least.

Screen Shot 2016-11-17 at 14.16.16.png