TheLieutenant

I feel like you folks will be interested in this...

17 minutes ago, S_A_T_S said:

I'm quite surprised by how many people think of Blackheart as a out-and-out beater captain. The way I've seen him played (and played him myself) is as a super-versatile master-of-all-trades. The Legendary on the first turn surprises people quite often and I regularly see him score turn one - just last weekend I did that myself, and then scored with him again 2nd activation of turn two. 2 ARM makes it hard to drive him off and Shadow Like makes it difficult to pin him down or hide the ball from him. Commanding Aura is a beast of an ability, and the swap to Butchery tones him down a little (Gutter/Decimate + Commanding Aura is just horrible to face) which I'm fine with, and I like the On The Mark as it looks suitably tricksy (and who doesn't want a reliable One Touch Football?).

What I don't like is the reduction in movement. vRage is that speed (right?) but Blackheart is supposed to be the footballing captain, so why give him the speed of Brick and Boar and vRage, all purely dedicated beaters? Shadow-Like might give him 2" more, but 9" movement seems fine for a footballing captain to me, especially with a 6" kick.

Speed 4"/6" + Shadow like > Speed 6"/8" for starters. Add to that a Legendary that lets him dodge 2", add to that a playbook full of dodges, including a momentous dodge on 1 and a momentous double dodge with 1 damage on 2. Add to that some of the best access to teamwork actions of any model in the game and you have a model with stupid amounts of movement. You may as well ask why Smoke's movement is so low - I'm sure in reality, there's no reason she should physically be as slow as someone like Kraken, but she'd be pretty crazy if she was 5"/8"...

So, I think he's fast enough to be honest. ?

Absolutely one of the best changes I've seen yet!

Commendation to the lead author who designed this Blackheart. Brings an excellent mix of Combat and Footballing. His versatility is incredibly well danced together, and harmonize with each other instead of being completely separate elements that just happens to both exist. 

7 hours ago, S_A_T_S said:

What I don't like is the reduction in movement. vRage is that speed (right?) but Blackheart is supposed to be the footballing captain, so why give him the speed of Brick and Boar and vRage, all purely dedicated beaters? Shadow-Like might give him 2" more, but 9" movement seems fine for a footballing captain to me, especially with a 6" kick.

Free 2" Dodge, Momentous 2" Dodge with damage on 2 results, Potential 4" Dodge with damage on 3 Results, Legendary Dodge

He is nowhere near the speed of Brick or Boar. He is deceptively fast! The difference between him and Shark is a certain maturity.

Blackheart doesn't exert himself without purpose. He is calm, and calculated. Shark on the other hand has fiery blood and is constantly trying to run at full speed.

So had my first game with S3 Blackheart and I was happy that the momentous 1 damage double dodge did make him shine.

His personal damage went down significantly so I was hoping that it was enough for him to instead gain the momentum, and it is really good. 

Unfortunately the On My Mark play never came into play but Butchery saw plenty of action since it was a necessity of sorts.

won the game against Scalpel morticians using:

Blackheart, Decimate, Mist, S3 Minx, Snakeskin and Coin

58 minutes ago, LeadDiceandBeers said:

Just waiting for the cinematic moment when he dodges, passes to someone, dodges, on my mark passes back, dodges, sprints, passes to Mist for a snapshot - Goal!

He just dodged like 12" and still couldn't score it himself?

10 hours ago, Makhina said:

So had my first game with S3 Blackheart and I was happy that the momentous 1 damage double dodge did make him shine.

His personal damage went down significantly so I was hoping that it was enough for him to instead gain the momentum, and it is really good. 

Unfortunately the On My Mark play never came into play but Butchery saw plenty of action since it was a necessity of sorts.

won the game against Scalpel morticians using:

Blackheart, Decimate, Mist, S3 Minx, Snakeskin and Coin

I'd recommend trying S3 Blackheart, Decimate, Mist, Snakeskin, S3 Harry, Coin. I'm betting it blows out a lot of other footballing teams.

I focused on CA too much when I first looked this over, but I think the real gem here is Misdirection. It's a cost of 2, but it's a two influence swing in your favor so it's a net zero. But it allows a friendly model to go above make inf on the card. It also makes opponents worry about placing just a single inf on a model within 8-12" of BH. Taking that single inf basically negates an entire activation. It's also a massive hit to berserker models where the play in getting 2 attacks from 1 inf.

The rest of the changes are fun, but this one change really sells him for me.

Pairing this with Coin's bag of coffers for +2 inf could be really broken. Too bad Rage still has Maverick.

7 minutes ago, riffbw said:

But it allows a friendly model to go above make inf on the card.

Sadly it does not do this, as it specifies "allocate." I agree with your assessment of the play though. Against models that want a very specific amount of INF (for a crucial character play, or for a specific goal threat, or a model with Berserk who gets a ton out of their INF), Misdirection is very useful and is now costed into the realm of usability.

1 hour ago, Slothrop said:

Sadly it does not do this, as it specifies "allocate." I agree with your assessment of the play though. Against models that want a very specific amount of INF (for a crucial character play, or for a specific goal threat, or a model with Berserk who gets a ton out of their INF), Misdirection is very useful and is now costed into the realm of usability.

I stand corrected.  This does change the net 0 gain to a potential -1 inf change if you don't have a model to allocate the extra inf to.  But the rest still applies.  The overloading of inf was just a bonus thought anyway. I guess loading Decimate, who is likely to be in the fray with BH is too broken to let happen.

2 hours ago, Nix said:

I'd recommend trying S3 Blackheart, Decimate, Mist, Snakeskin, S3 Harry, Coin. I'm betting it blows out a lot of other footballing teams.

Where's Harry's card?!

10 minutes ago, Makhina said:

Where's Harry's card?!

Not released yet, but we know what Molotov looks like with Stoker's card out.  I believe SFG said his Aura is going to be teamwork based bonus.  Potentially a free pass and move or something like that.

7 minutes ago, riffbw said:

Not released yet, but we know what Molotov looks like with Stoker's card out.  I believe SFG said his Aura is going to be teamwork based bonus.  Potentially a free pass and move or something like that.

It is released.  In the union forums

Here's Harry in all his S3 goodness. Really looks like he enables some incredible play from the new Blackheart.