• Announcements

• Mako

Union in Chains Pictures   10/14/2017

With union in chains in full swing, everyone wants to upload a few pictures with their battle report (they're highly recommended to ensure your report is accepted as valid). Check the Union in Chains section for some handy advice (and user avatars) before you start!  
TheLieutenant

Season 3 SEEEEEEEEENAAAAAAAH!

Welcome, traveller. You have wandered far, to cross into the great forests and tundra of the north. It’s good to see you, even cold and wet as you are now. Take off your coat, drop your weapons in the basket by the door. No, don’t worry, you won’t need them. You’re a guest here.

You’ve come for tidings of the Great Bear? The champion of the north? Well, he’s changed. He’s stronger now. Which is better for us, at least. Not so much for those puling maggots in the southlands, eh? All weak, pink, and soft, ha!? Ah, those southerners. All so interested in their little politics and their silly games, none of them with half an eye to spare for the things that matter; the growing trees, the sap in all living things, the first frost of winter.

Pah. Well, traveller, settle in, grab a drink, and let’s get to business…

When we first designed Seenah, we wanted him to be, well, a bear. A big beast of a bear, perfectly willing and able to rip his enemies limb from limb. Whilst we certainly achieved that, and plenty of players have since fallen to the Great Bear, in Season 3 we had the opportunity to further enhance his unique character, and make it even more fun to play him. We still wanted Seenah to be an absolute monster in terms of damage output (and keep his 21 boxes of Tough Hide!), but knew that we could push him into even more fearsome territory, just as a player like the Great Bear should be.

Seenah Front.jpgSeenah Back .jpg

The first thing you’ll notice is that his Playbook has been shortened and changed. He’s now more likely to wrap, and he hits a momentous [2] DMG result on column 3 now, as opposed to having to wait until column 5 for higher than [1] momentous damage. That’s pretty scary, and definitely something which makes him instantly more appealing to Hunter coaches!

He has also gained a new Character Trait, called Intimidating Roar. This means that if the enemy team try to engage Seenah, he can Push a model away at the start of his activation. This ability makes him much more likely to be able to make use of Furious, allowing him to Charge for free - not only is Seenah’s damage output now higher, but he’s much harder for an opponent to control, making him much more of a terrifying enemy on the pitch!

The final change is that Mob Favourite has become part of Bear Hug. We really wanted to simulate a sense of a grand finishing move, Seenah crushing his bloody opponents whilst the crowds roar their approval from the stands. The answer was to fold these two rules together, to create a brutal finale to the Great Bear’s attacks.

So, you can see the ways in which we’ve pushed Seenah’s damage output up and helped him disengage himself, deliberately strengthening his strong points whilst still preserving the flavour of the model. An easy thing to do would be to simply have given him [+1/+0] INF – but that change would have done little to preserve the uniqueness of the player. Sometimes when we design a model, it does need to be DEF [4+] ARM [1], or [2/4] INF, because those are reliable values we’ve used a lot and know work. Sometimes, however, we can make attribute values that are much more characterful and interesting for those key players that are a little bit different to the rest – and Seenah is a great example of that.

But that’s something you’ll see more of next year. ;)

Let us know what you think of these changes right here or on our social media!

As ever, I’ll be around in this thread for a while to answer any questions you might have. Please don’t forget Steamcon tickets are only on sale until this Sunday (13th November) so if you’re still on the fence, don’t miss the chance to get down and play the very first games with your brand new Season 3 cards! Tickets are available here: http://steamforged.com/steamcon-tickets/

Cheerio all, happy hunting! 

Interesting stuff. It is slightly harder to get the delicious Bearhug plus knockdown on the charge, but overall he got a lot better.

Excited to see what the other Hunters look like!

I was fine with the bear as he was and these changes only make me like him more. Intimidating roar is excellent and having earlier access to 2 damage is pretty big. Having momentous 3 damage against a snared target on the 3rd column is excellent. Can't wait to use this guy in season 3. If the other players get similar boosts to bring them in line with Seenah, the Hunters should be a very dangerous team in season 3. 

Please pardon my ignorance, and perhaps this question belongs in Rules Clarification, but the rule on charging a model you are currently engaging is still in effect, right? So if Seenah is base-to-base with a 1" melee zone model and uses Intimidating Roar, he is still unable to charge, correct? Does that apply to any model or just the model Seenah is engaging (I.e. Can a model charge an enemy model it is not engaging and which is not engaging it if said model is engaging a third)?

Loss of KD & Bearhug is sad :( but otherwise nice, I look forward to bringing the big lug out. Of course I would have preferred 1/2 as Hunters really have INF issues that MOM doesn't solve (because then you go second...) but he's a great model and I love playing him.

4 minutes ago, ProfBeardsly said:

Please pardon my ignorance, and perhaps this question belongs in Rules Clarification, but the rule on charging a model you are currently engaging is still in effect, right? So if Seenah is base-to-base with a 1" melee zone model and uses Intimidating Roar, he is still unable to charge, correct? Does that apply to any model or just the model Seenah is engaging (I.e. Can a model charge an enemy model it is not engaging and which is not engaging it if said model is engaging a third)?

You cannot charge someone you are engaging so no, Roar won't help with B2B models (which will be the main way to stop this working sadly). It does allow him to charge someone else though - so once he's in the mix he should be fine unless they have 2" melee...then sad times.

I was disappointed to see the knockdown/bear hug gone at first as well, but with the shorter playbook you only need one more result to get the bear hug and knockdown results and then you would get 2 momentum instead of 1. Seems like a fair trade in the end. Might not get that off as often, but when you do it will be more rewarding. 

4 minutes ago, EpicChris said:

You cannot charge someone you are engaging so no, Roar won't help with B2B models (which will be the main way to stop this working sadly). It does allow him to charge someone else though - so once he's in the mix he should be fine unless they have 2" melee...then sad times.

That's what I figured and how I have been playing, but wanted to verify.  It makes sense that there's a direct counterplay to the ability - otherwise it's an "I win."

Thanks!

Edited by ProfBeardsly
Used the wrong word - meant ability instead of model.

Aye, once he's in the thick of it, this will help Hunters on the INF side a bit as he can throw off his engagey (what, it's a word...whatever) and charge someone else for free so he's always a threat. Much more BEAREY (still a word). But I would have taken him anyway as I absolutely love the model. 

It still makes a huge difference even if it doesn't completely unengage you though. Before, if you were base to base with a 2"reach model that you wanted to charge, you had to hope one of your first 2 attacks was the double push in the 4th column and then use your other attack for a single push to get them out of your melee range. With intimidating roar, you can push the 2"reach model to the edge of your melee, then use your first attack for the single push, then charge them, then still buy another attack. It makes Furious much more reliable, which makes Seenah a whole lot better. As long as you don't allow 2-3 models to get base to base with Seenah, you should be able to charge every turn. 

34 minutes ago, ProfBeardsly said:

Keep in mind that with the free 2'' push and a Momemtous Push on a 1, Seenah can disengage himself from anything and charge them. You lose out a bit of damage, but not on momemtum and it's waaaaaay better than the S2 alternative.

Also guys, his playbook is so much less 'top heavy' now... he can get a Momemtous 2 (3 against snared!) target on a 3, with 7 dices he's very likely to get that on his non-charge attack. 

It is very likely a that 2Inf Seenah charge will end up dealing 10 damage + Bleed. That is brutal. And he just need to wrap for 1 on his charge attack to push that to 12. 

16 minutes ago, EpicChris said:

Loss of KD & Bearhug is sad :( but otherwise nice, I look forward to bringing the big lug out. Of course I would have preferred 1/2 as Hunters really have INF issues that MOM doesn't solve (because then you go second...) but he's a great model and I love playing him.

This is correct. 

3 minutes ago, Commander Vimes said:

Thank you Steamforged for improving my favourite player in very neat and fluffy way.

Thank you! 

Great changes. The playbook forces choices on a charge (Bearhug or 2damage (3 with snared) and a KD), but with the shortened playbook also opens up the possibility of getting the Bear Hug plus a wrap on 2 to get the KD. So I think living the dream on the charge of getting both results is still there, particularly if you are hitting a snared model.. Momentous 2 (3) on 3 successes is great. The roar and push on 1 also means that you get the free charge more often. I think it puts Seenah in the sweet spot where he can do fearsome damage, generate momentum, has weaknesses (low defenses, can be crowded out), but isn't easy to shut out like he was in S2 by just one model. Keep more changes like this coming.

1 hour ago, Plebian said:

At this point it seems the Brewers and the Masons are in a heated competition for biggest whiners...

Although my post was sarcasm, it seems that SF listens. So ringing that bell when I can. 

The bear and Stave are very different models with very different roles. Plus I mean he's a bear. He should do bear things.