C.Hurst

Question from an absolute beginner

As the title says, I am an absolute beginner in the world of miniature gaming. I backed the Dark Souls board game because "Oh, hey, Dark Souls", from there looked into other games Steamforged had made, decided Guild Ball looked pretty cool, and bought a few teams.

I am such an absolute newcomer to this world that up until about 3 months ago, I was wondering why Steamforged kept releasing renders of the Dark Souls minis without the details filled in. I honestly thought the one or two Warhammer 40k sets I've seen over the years came from Games Workshop fully painted. 

I say all of that to say, please don't assume I know anything. I've done a fair amount of research on YouTube and the like, but there are still a few points I'm curious on when it comes to prepping these metal Guild Ball minis.

I've tried to prepare my Alchemists for priming, by washing them as discussed here: http://www.how-to-paint-miniatures.com/miniature_painting_getting_started.html My main problem comes with the sentence: "Metal miniatures often shine after removing release agent:" There is, without a doubt, less white on the figure after my scrubbing it. And there are, indeed, details that pop more than they did before the scrub, but SHINE? They certainly don't do that. Maybe a few of the edges have a glint to them, but that's about it.

So, what is the mistake I'm making? Do I need to scrub more, until they shine? Am I misreading the article, by assuming the author means "Certain surfaces of your miniature will have a mirror-like reflective surface"? Is this even an important step any longer, as I've read on other sites that modern release agents don't need to be taken off before priming/painting?

Thank you for any and all help!

I've never seen anything that I would call "shine" after washing the mold release off of minis. The models are dull because of the casting method, not because they're covered in a release compound.

Not sure how much scrubbing and cleaning it'd take to make the models shine but I don't fancy attempting it. Most of the models I do get a simple warm soapy bath and a quick scrub with an old toothbrush, being very gentle with resin or smaller parts. A good primer will help to cover parts missed if any, hope this helps.

I can't claim to be a great painter, but I would say you don't really need to wash metal minis at all. Just cover with a white undercoat then start painting colours. (Or black undercoat, but I think that's harder as a beginner, as you need more layers to put bright colours back on top). Resin probably benefits from a quick rinse in soapy water. The models will eventually all glue together just with superglue if you want to avoid pinning, although they might not survive being dropped on the floor!

Edit: I think I might wash the next metal mini I paint as an experiment, but I suspect the real secret to improving is thinner paint layers and taking much more time!

2 hours ago, ADG said:

I can't claim to be a great painter, but I would say you don't really need to wash metal minis at all. Just cover with a white undercoat then start painting colours. (Or black undercoat, but I think that's harder as a beginner, as you need more layers to put bright colours back on top). Resin probably benefits from a quick rinse in soapy water. The models will eventually all glue together just with superglue if you want to avoid pinning, although they might not survive being dropped on the floor!

Edit: I think I might wash the next metal mini I paint as an experiment, but I suspect the real secret to improving is thinner paint layers and taking much more time!

Washing removes the releasing agent and helps the paint stick to the mini better. I've encountered miniatures before that felt almost slimy due to the releasing agent, Just soak them in dish soap and water overnight and all should be good. They don't need scrubbing.

William

This mostly happen with resin, you can see it's shiny and slimy.

For metal, i do it sometimes but not always, you don't need to have a mirror like finish to make paint stick honestly, you better of with a good primer :)

As per guild ball miniature, you need to be careful with the toothbrush cause some of them are very fragile (hello siren).

If you can i'll always suggest to pin your mini so you don't have problem. (here is a link watch?v=WQTsyEqr9tMwatch?v=WQTsyEqr9tM)

Welcome to the mini world :)

Anamnesis

Make sure not to spray too thick with the spray can ... that is a mistake I've made in the past and lost a lot of detail! Sometimes it's safer by hand, although with metal you can always strip the paint off if you have to.

Enjoy painting!