• Announcements

• Mako

Union in Chains Pictures   10/14/2017

With union in chains in full swing, everyone wants to upload a few pictures with their battle report (they're highly recommended to ensure your report is accepted as valid). Check the Union in Chains section for some handy advice (and user avatars) before you start!  
Sign in to follow this  
Anudem

Share your paint jobs

2 hours ago, Major_Fokker said:

Is that Lug in the background or isi t a very interesting pose from Seenah?

I think its a Malifaux model

Can't really hold a candle to some of the other examples here, but this is the first miniatures game I've picked up, making these the first models I've ever painted. They've been in transit a bunch making the paint flake off too which is triggering me super hard. I haven't got around to Ulfr or Snow yet.

IMG_0715-min(1).JPG

5 hours ago, masterkdog said:

BTW, where did you get that mat?

A friend of mine made it from an online company that makes custom mats/mousepads. I can see if I can get the details from him. 

5 hours ago, Anudem said:

A friend of mine made it from an online company that makes custom mats/mousepads. I can see if I can get the details from him.

Yes please

Only images I have on hand. These are my recently painted heralds. Excited to paint them. I want to repaint my first base hunters (they were my first attempt at painting miniatures). If there are any recommendations for that I would appreciate (stripping green stuff and paint/primer)

18596551_10209436706854752_386527058_o.jpg

On 5/20/2017 at 5:54 PM, JacctheInsomniac said:

Can't really hold a candle to some of the other examples here, but this is the first miniatures game I've picked up, making these the first models I've ever painted. They've been in transit a bunch making the paint flake off too which is triggering me super hard. I haven't got around to Ulfr or Snow yet.

IMG_0715-min(1).JPG

You have a pretty solid start on these models. If you want to try a few new techniques I could recommend a few techniques to progress your painting and make those models pop.

For stripping paint from minis, I have had good luck with Simple Green.  Just soak then hit them with a tooth brush.  Check your joints afterward though, sometimes it loosens super glue and other times it doesn't.

BTW, minis look great!

On 2017-05-24 at 1:58 PM, Anudem said:

You have a pretty solid start on these models. If you want to try a few new techniques I could recommend a few techniques to progress your painting and make those models pop.

I'd totally be open to hearing any advice you've got for me.

On 5/25/2017 at 11:45 PM, JacctheInsomniac said:

I'd totally be open to hearing any advice you've got for me.

I'm not @Anudem, but you can get a lot of milage out of three additional steps beyond what you've done so far: Wash, Drybrush, and Base.

First things first, wash. I usually like to do this before picking out details like you have, so it may require some touch-ups. Anyways, a wash is a highly watered-down paint you use to highlight recesses and simulate shadows. I'm pretty sloppy with it, but even so washing is practically skill in a bottle. Pick a color that would look good for the shadows of whatever base you're using - a dark green for the greens, brown or black for most others, a ruddy pink for caucasian skin. you can either put down a healthy layer, or if you want the effect to be more subtle you can just paint the wash into recesses and then clean up near the edges with your base color. You can use a purpose-made wash, or mix your own; if you do the latter, add a very small amount of dish soap to the mix; it'll break the water's surface tension and help it to run into your model's recesses instead of beading up on the surface.

After you wash, you can drybrush. Personally, I only drybrush metals, grass (see below), and highly-detailed surfaces like fur or nets. take a flat-ended brush you don't care about messing up and put some paint on the bristles, making sure to spread out the bristles so paint gets inside the brush head. Wipe most of the paint off on the edge of the pot or your palette, then take an index card or something and repeatedly brush quickly to get almost all of the paint off. If you wipe the brush gently on the heel of your palm you shouldn't see any paint. Then, on whatever surface you're drybrushing, brush lightly and quickly. There's a very small amount of paint inside the brush, and when you do that the paint comes off on the raised surfaces while leaving the recesses alone. Usually the color you want is a shade or two lighter than the base color.

Finally is basing. Even with those last two steps your model will look incomplete. By making the surface the miniature is standing on it makes everything else "pop" in my experience. There are several techniques for doing this, but I like to use wood glue to glue a layer of beach sand to the base, then I paint it a foresty green, wash it, and drybrush it with a lighter shade (Death World Forest, Athonian Camoshade, and Straken Green if you use Citadel paints). That's a nice grass-painting "recipe". Sometimes I'll also lightly paint a white line on the grass, like the chalk pitch lines. After that you should paint the base's lip to cover up any slips you might have made - I like to paint them a color appropriate to the team (several others in this thread have done the same), or you can repaint it black.

There are other techniques you can use, like gradient shading or edge highlighting, but using these three you can get to minis that look excellent for the tabletop.

Not a great painter, but since I actually finished painting the whole team and I rarely finish painting any miniatures these days...

19030734_10158893338860215_3192071844980232708_n.jpg

19366122_10158919216530215_740267902692830471_n.jpg

Colour themes were greens, mostly, with the "paprika" pop for accent leathers to unify the team look.  Used copper mostly, instead of usual silvers or golds for metal.  For the Heralds, I added blues and greys to replace more of the browns.