Sign in to follow this  
Moefear

Timed games question

I’m a little confused by the game timing section in the tournament rules.

Let’s say we are doing

C) ‘Thinking Time’

Chess clocks are set to 50 minutes per Player

Admin/Clocked out time is 25 minutes total with clocked

out Players being allowed 1-minute activations.

Round length is 125 minutes total.

I use my 50 min up.  After that every time I activate a model you get 1 pt?  or every time I take longer than 1 min per model you get 1 pt? or after I spend another 25 min you get a point?  Or if I spend more than 1 min per activation you get a point, and if I go more than 25 more minutes you get a point? or do I just loose if I go another 25 min?

Is the 1 min reset for every model that goes, assuming this 1 minute has any meaning?

The way the rules read you get a point after every activation I do.  But this makes the 1 min and 25 min meaningless.  So I’m having to guess on the rest.

Once your clock time is used up you're in clock-out mode. Each activation of clock-out mode is a fixed length of 1-minute or 2-minutes depending on the overall timing method bring used ("thinking time" vs "team tactics" vs "playing on instinct").

After each activation during "clocked-out" you're opponent is awarded 1 point. This is regardless of you completing the activation within the allotted time or not. If the clocked-out time exhausts (i.e. you use the full minute in "team tactics) then your activation ends even if you still have actions to complete or influence to spend.

The admin time is for use by the TO's and to account for clocked-out time. This is used to set the total round time for the tournament round. Unless clocks have been misused, no single pairing clock should be able to extend past the total round time.

That's 25 minutes total, as in for both players - if you both clock out on 0-0, that's enough time you can go for 12 1-minute activations each, with an extra minute for admin and to make it a nice round number to write down ;)

5 minutes ago, Moefear said:

How can the second 25 ever be reached?  If the other person is getting at least 1 pt per min of your time then at most 12 min will be used?

If a TO comes over for 3 minutes then both players clock-out at 0/0. Remember that it's admin & clocked-out time.

Honestly, I've not seen nor heard of it happening. I suspect it's in there as a "just in case".

So as soon as 1 person hits his 50 minutes then the 25 minutes start?

If I have 20 min left on my clock and my opponent has 0 left then the 25 min would start.  I would not be giving up any points as long as I stayed under my 20 min but he would after every activation.  Also my time would be counting down as would the 25 minutes on my turns?

Forget about the 25 minutes. Assuming you operate the clock correctly and conduct setup etc quickly it will never ever matter and will take care of itself. 

After a player clocks out, their activations are limited to 1 minute each and their opponent gains a point at the end of each of the clocked out player's activations.

If both players clock out then they're both limited to 1 minute per activation max and each gain a point at the end of their opponent's activation.

The 25 minute cap is a backstop to prevent a game running over because of rules arguments or excessive off clock time wasting. I've only seen it happen once and that was two very slow players starting a round late.

Exactly. The players only need to worry about the standard time and 1 minute activations. There is a total round time of both players clocks + 25 mins to account for everything else - paused clocks for rules queries, etc, etc. It is extremely unlikely to be needed, as that's far more time than any game is likely to go, but tournaments need a hard 'dice down' for a round so that they can stick to timings.