karajohn

Plastic box contents

8 hours ago, Diddimus said:

Can you let us know where you've seen it for £40?  I've seen a few places at £45 for pre-order.

It's a bargain at £45 but if I can get it for £40 I will :)

I was looking at the website of Dark Sphere in London: £39.99.

Apologies in advance if it is not correct to mention specific shops on the forum ... other shops are available!

(I think Steamforged has said on a podcast that they encourage people to buy from local games stores, which should normally be cheaper than their own website.)

If the token sets are changed I hope there will be cheap upgrades available for existing owners ... they are perhaps the most expensive items in the range (although I guess there is a nice alternative in the "printable tokens" thread).

It is nice that the season two card sets were low priced, and when you are treated fairly on things like that you are happy to keep buying lots more models!

What do you think is on the other side of the mat? It looks like a 3x3 pitch in the photo with some masons and brewers touches. I guess maybe a 2x2 on the other side?

On 10/7/2016 at 4:14 PM, ADG said:

What do you think is on the other side of the mat? It looks like a 3x3 pitch in the photo with some masons and brewers touches. I guess maybe a 2x2 on the other side?

I am interested too, since it's written as "double-sided."

Though, I don't care for 2x2 very much. I've done quite a few demo games now, and none of them have been on a 2x2 surface. Regardless, if it is 2x2, that would be fine. I just want to see some pictures! :)

Hard to tell what the mat is made out of ... somebody said it was made of board game cardboard ... so maybe a bit like the room templates you get in a game like Imperial Assault? Hopefully not just a sheet of paper with creases/folds. Or maybe it's something heavier like a Monopoly board? 

Had been planning to buy one of the grassy field mats, which look very nice, but maybe will hold off to see what this is like ...

4 hours ago, anamnesis said:

I would be really interrested to have more information on this "plastic" minis, does anyone have close up or something like that?

Patience. Steamforged has said they have marketing all planned out for this box. 

I didn't see these links here, so sorry if this is a double-post. 

1. http://steamforged.com/kick-off - general page for the kick-off

2. http://steamforged.com/kick-off-news/2016/10/11/a-look-inside-kick-off - detailed look at the materials

Looks like the board is double-sided, figs all come pre-assembled. I reiterate what I said before - this box looks like an amazing deal and the components look far better than I could have expected. Hopefully the shipped game will have the same quality. 

I can't believe all figures are pre-assembled!  What's a miniatures game without all the blood, sweat, and super-glue spilled all over the figures.  All that cursing, frustration, and pain, denied to the new players.  And SFG thinks this will make people WANT to play the game more???  blasphemy!  I for one will continue to only play with my metal figures that require gluing, pinning, and lots of cursing. 

:P 

11 minutes ago, kryzak said:

I can't believe all figures are pre-assembled!  What's a miniatures game without all the blood, sweat, and super-glue spilled all over the figures.  All that cursing, frustration, and pain, denied to the new players.  And SFG thinks this will make people WANT to play the game more???  blasphemy!  I for one will continue to only play with my metal figures that require gluing, pinning, and lots of cursing. 

:P 

Don't worry - I'm sure you still get to clean the mold lines :P

Mallet seems really off, both in terms of his legs and the material making his weapon wobbly.  Shame too, as he's the only real model on the team I really notice the scale problem on and was looking forward to seeing improved.  I do really like that pose on Honour at the right scale though and Harmony looks great.  Maybe S3 will get her on the table enough that her old model's issues can actually bother me?  Brewers look good, but Stave seems not quite as brilliant as his metal counterpart.

35 minutes ago, LunarSol said:

Mallet seems really off, both in terms of his legs and the material making his weapon wobbly.  Shame too, as he's the only real model on the team I really notice the scale problem on and was looking forward to seeing improved.  I do really like that pose on Honour at the right scale though and Harmony looks great.  Maybe S3 will get her on the table enough that her old model's issues can actually bother me?  Brewers look good, but Stave seems not quite as brilliant as his metal counterpart.

I have similar feelings about Mallet, I'm not sure what that pose is.  Since I have Show Flint though, If I get the starter I was thinking about trying to mount starter mallet torso on starter flints legs.

28 minutes ago, MacTuitui said:

It also looks like they used the KS pose for Tapper. Then why not the same for Honour? I really like the KS poses for those two. 

I actually really like the non-KS pose for Honour.  The KS one is bad-ass too, but I really like the one-foot pose of the normal Honour.

It would be pretty sweet if they did a few other "Kick off" sets, with other teams rather than just Brewers and Masons.

I can't imagine buying this, choosing to stick w GuildBall as not replacing the minis for better resin sculpts, so they wouldn't really lose out by selling the other teams. Morticians vs Butchers? Fishermen vs Engineers? Alchemists vs Hunters?

It would also be a great reason for folks who bought in early to be rewarded with something other than their starter teams.

I don't think the line-up will extend to other teams. From what Mat said somewhere (with all those media appearances it's hard to follow), I believe that the main target for this was people outside of the "hobby", where putting minis together is a hurdle (let's face it though, it *is* a hurdle and I don't think anybody enjoys that part of the process).

But if it sells very well I could see this being a yearly thing, with a new box every season giving you access to a couple of teams per year.

I do wonder if they will have "expansions" (just like board games) where the expansion is Fishermen vs Butchers, etc...  Where they just have the 12 models and related tokens.  That might be a very cool model where people who are more casual about the game will buy expansions (I know many of my friends bought endless expansions of Dominion and the likes) to get new teams.  That would be very cool.

Probably won't be more plastic teams in the short term ... (maybe in a year or two if the intro box is refreshed with new rules?) ... but maybe they could release more cardboard token sets and health dials for other teams in the nearer term?? Could be a way to cut the cost of the token sets.

Also, 6 team member starter sets for every team (like Hunters) would be nice for people to get into a team.  I know this has been mentioned many times before, but how is it that a "starter set" for a team does not include the mascot?!

I suspect it'll be like other miniatures games where they'll roll out a new 2 player starter whenever there's a rules shakeup and mix up which factions are included whenever they do so.

3 minutes ago, kryzak said:

Also, 6 team member starter sets for every team (like Hunters) would be nice for people to get into a team.  I know this has been mentioned many times before, but how is it that a "starter set" for a team does not include the mascot?!

The 3 man starters are better from an accessibility standpoint. The issue with Hunters is that because it's a complete team it's a good deal more expensive than other starters. From a new player perspective it's a bit daunting because it fully invests you in the game right off the bat and it's a lot to pay for something that you can't even play a game against a friend with. The 3 man starters are cheap enough though that you can get a taste for the game if you and a friend pick one up and play some smaller games and you're not that invested if you decide it isn't for you. The Hunters set is more a faction box than a starter set.

Plus six man sets restrict your purchase choices. I'm putting together a Pin Vice team that's going to be her, Mother, Colossus, Compound, Hoist, and Veteran Velocity. Keep in mind that you can't buy the Hunters separately in metal. Which means that if Engineers were in a similar position as the Hunters I would have to buy five models I didn't really plan on using just to get him. Since the resin version is basically never in stock... :(

As for why mascots aren't in there. Mascots typically do less than players and can be taken off the pitch permanently. If it's a choice between a Captain, Player, Player selection and a Captain, Player, Mascot selection then the former is much better for out of the box gaming. As for putting a Mascot in there in addition to the main three models, I think now that there are multiple mascots available for each team it's better to give people more choice in how they expand their team.

5 minutes ago, ADG said:

I think maybe the three man starter sets are picked to work in a three man, quick start 2x2 size demo game?

Edited by ADG
accidentally posted twice!

22 minutes ago, ADG said:

I think maybe the three man starter sets are picked to work in a three man, quick start 2x2 size demo game.

I think this was probably the intention, but it really doesn't play particularly well, unfortunately.  For this to work they'd really need all of them to have separate 2x2 rules, IMO.

I have both Honours and I prefer the pose of the retail model personally, but the size of the KS version tends to get her put on the table more.  That's one thing that's got my interest here.

Re: starter boxing having 3 players being designed for the 2x2 demo game, I don't think that's true nor is it good for the game. After having done tons of demos using the 3 players from each team in the starter boxes (except for Hunters), there are SEVERE balance issues (Ballista, Salvo, Velocity is amazingly good in a 3v3 demo game). 

I get the price argument, but generally the mascot is designed with the captain, and 3v3 games really are not recommended beyond teaching the rules, thus players have to do 6v6 and need a mascot, the starter kits should have the mascot that goes along with the captain it was designed for, and then add 1-2 more players for a box of 3-4. 

The argument of "these are not the 6 players I want" would also mean that the "Kick Off" box set would be set up for failure if most beginners/casual players think like that, since they're forced not only to get 1 team, but 2 teams, each with 6 players (out of the 11 available per Season 1 guild) that might not fit their style.  Granted, the box is a lot cheaper, so my analogy doesn't compare directly if you factor in the cost. :) 

Anyways, I think that the mascots should be included in a starter set if they want to do starter sets of 3-4 players, since I've had quite a few beginners ask me why the mascot is not included even though it's "required" in a 6 v 6 game, and I really haven't found a good explanation for that yet.