• Announcements

• Mako

Union in Chains Pictures   10/14/2017

With union in chains in full swing, everyone wants to upload a few pictures with their battle report (they're highly recommended to ensure your report is accepted as valid). Check the Union in Chains section for some handy advice (and user avatars) before you start!  
DrJekyll

Dream on – The new guilds we'd like to see

2 hours ago, Broken Clock said:

No, it most certainly is the logic that's been used in this thread. I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you missed the original comment:  "Right, so a circus guild makes no sense, but a steampunk spider does? You, sir, are deluded. This isn't real life, you know, this is a game in a fantasy setting that has elements of medieval, steampunk, etc, etc. Who are you to say that a circus guild makes no sense?"

His justification for the circus guild: 
Guild ball already has a steampunk spider and various other fantasy elements, therefore a circus guild makes perfect sense, since it's from the Victorian era.

I wasn't justifying the circus guild at all. Personally I don't think there should (or will) be a circus guild. But, my point is that if there were a circus guild it would make just as much sense as a steam punk spider. You can dress it up with magic realism as much as you want but Guild Ball takes inspiration from quite a few historical settings and combines them in a fantasy game. Gangs of New York inspired Rage is one, there are many more. 

8 minutes ago, ADG said:

Beastmaster or zookeeper guild ... just so we can get some lions, another bear and maybe an elephant!

Nope, sorry, you can't have a zookeeper guild because zoo's didn't exist in that time period. Dress it up in magic realism and resubmit please.

17 hours ago, Wolfchild said:

Entertainers, Smithies, Farmers, Clerics, Merchants - all big enough for variety yet still specific enough for some real character.

Yo dude you are in luck Season three will see the release of the farmers guild (assuming you didn't know as this)

Also they need the D&D club team and the AV club or scrapbookers guild. Ooooh what about hipster guild. They have no defined style of play and just sway between what seems to be working for them due to random popularity?

Merchants Guild - unique feature of the guild, throwing bag of moneys to direct enemies away from them

Knights Guild - captains are knights with squires and soldiers as the other players. Mascot would be a mighty steed (donkey)

Chuk-ko or Cuju Guild/Society - I did not knew about "mob football" until I read about it on Guild Ball's home page. The first thought that came into my mind when reading about Guild Ball was Chuk-ko (ancient Chinese sport with similarities to football). So it would be neat (at least for me) to have a foreign Asian-themed country sending their professional Chuk-ko players to participate in the Empire of the Free Cities' Guild Ball. Mascots could be a Phoenix (embellished name for a rooster/chicken) or a Panda.

@Akai that is great, perhaps we could see a Mediterranean type team who specialize in diving and putting off the opposition through dirty tricks. 

Also would love to see any guild that may get a horse as a mascot with an ability called One trick pony. Maybe it could let a player use the same ability twice in a turn.

On 10/9/2016 at 2:01 PM, ADG said:
On 10/19/2016 at 4:02 PM, Xeth1313 said:

I'd like to see a Beggar's Guild. Urchins and pick pockets.

Yes, this. I really think they missed the boat by not making the Union beggars to begin with

What about a minstrel/marching band guild, which has also some bards and storytellers with them? Its funny to imagine a bard playing different songs and give some buffs/debuffs to friendly and enemy models :D!

Another possible guild would be some kind of artists guild, may be with an "da vinci" like flair with exotic inventions (e.g. a flying human model with mechanical wings) :).

Just some more ideas from me ^^ ...

The Bakers Guild.

Running around smashing people with giant rolling pins and baking trays.

Course, then you'd have the Butchers and Bakers so would need the Candlestick makers Guild too.

On a less PC note: The Lunatics Guild

Ok so I've read all the posts. Instead of musicians , circus , mummers etc . why not stick in theme with the Travellers Guild . The fair and honest Gypsy folk ? . They could have ties with the old money of the world . 

Or Since we have the Morticians why not the only other certainty in life .  The Tax Collectors Guild . ?

17 hours ago, Unclefool said:

Or Since we have the Morticians why not the only other certainty in life .  The Tax Collectors Guild . ?

Character trait

Audit: models that make a dodge while in this models melee/aura suffer x damage.

I would love to see the Bankers Guild. Possible abilities could include:

Banking influence or momentum for future turns.

Having the risk/reward of a player who can invest influence this turn to get back addition influence on a future turn, unless he is taken out.

Affecting the cost of character plays.

At the Steam Con "design a guild" seminar, the bankers guild was narrowly beaten in the voting by the ratcatchers guild. Possible abilities include charm or damage to animals, poison abilities, and a quick, agile playstyle.

Sculptor Russ has been hard at work on the design of the "big guy" player ... a tall, agile character wielding two rat-catching sticks with a tattered, swirly cloak.

Ideas for the team included a sort of Dickensian-vibe with an Oliver Twist Fagin type manipulative captain, an urchin/pickpocket girl called Squeak and a cat mascot called Bubble. Also room for some sort of pied piper character.

Who wants to see this for real?

Also, expect the mystery new guild after the farmers to have a more complex playstyle again ... think hunters/farmers rather than butchers.

The ratcatcher model, Skulk, is planned as a new release at Steam Con next year.

He may or may not have the "basket time" ability to lock up mascots in the basket on his back!

21 hours ago, ADG said:

At the Steam Con "design a guild" seminar, the bankers guild was narrowly beaten in the voting by the ratcatchers guild. Possible abilities include charm or damage to animals, poison abilities, and a quick, agile playstyle.

Was pretty worried that exactly this would happen when I heard "fans design a guild"

maybe I'm just not seeing it, but it seems a little jokey/meme-y in comparison to some of the more interesting ideas in this thread. 

Guess I just don't see a lot of character potential or interesting gameplay potential in "rat catchers", nor is it a very interesting portion of fantasy. Just sounds like the Hunter's Guild's grimy cousin.