RandomScrub

Double Dodge Episode 5 - Gestalt Entity & The Flying Pink Snake

Double Dodge Episode 5 - Gestalt Entity & The Flying Pink Snake

Episode 5 of Double Dodge is live!

http://www.doubledodge.com.au/index.php/episode-5

We are also on iTunes:

https://itunes.apple.com/au/podcast/double-dodge-guild-ball-podcast/id1140110129

In this Episode we talk to Jamie Perkins, Senior Game Designer & Coordinator of Organised Play for Steamforged Games about all things design and balance and the exact number of Jamies there are stuffed in the Steamforged basement. We also head to Germany to chat with Tim Wichniowski, loose unit, drunken master and winner of German Guild Ball Nationals 2016 in a wide ranging conversation about life, love and the German approach to tournament play. In our final Act we are back in the car for Car Ball where Cam wrecks some face with Veteran Rage and makes no apologies about it.

We have kicked off a Twitter campaign in an effort to get Jamie Perkins to Australian Nationals under the hashtag #freejamie - we would love to get him down here so any support you can offer would assist in securing his liberty. We understand that Jamie spends most of his time in a storage cupboard. He says he is being treated well but we suspect this is the Stockholm Syndrome speaking. Like a free-range chicken, he deserves to feel the grass under his talons. Help us help him.

Thanks for the feedback and suggestions, please keep them coming either here on the forums or on Twitter via @dubdodgecast @stubbyholders and @scrub_random

Double Dodge is sponsored by Nerdvana Games SA https://nerdvanagamessa.com/ and Soupcan http://www.soupcan.com.au

Double Dodge! Free Jamie!

Listened to this one on my way back from work. (Haven't got to CARBALL yet)

Was good, Really interesting to hear how Hunters are meant to play from the perspective of one of their designers....

Kinda bummed/relieved that they play exactly how they planned it.

Bummed because I don't think the effort is worth the in-game reward playing them half the time, pleased because they intended for them to be difficult and theme-y. Seems like they hit the mark just right in the "hard to immediately pick your six" bit.

Interesting to hear a player say a Guild can come down to muscle memory though... I understand game plans and executing that game plan consistently, and Morts are no doubt the best at maintaining consistency, but it seems like an odd concept in an alternate activation game.

Another good one! Also good to hear a designer being humble (and professional) about how to approach changes in a game. Though I couldn't make out what was mumbled prior to Jamie's response.

Thanks for the feedback mate. General mumbling or particular mumbling? Always looking to improve audio.

The muscle memory comment is more about knowing your stuff well enough to internalise what everything does, how it synergises and how to intuitively optimise your activations. Play enough games and you will see similar play states, you will also almost automatically know how to respond to them. The alternate activation means that game states are more fluid and you can't just have a cookie-cutter strategy but having a deep understanding of your roster means that you are generally making good decisions that help move you toward winning a game. Play one Guild or Captain for ages then jump to another and you will see the idea in practice.

Jamie is a champ, that's why we want to get him to Australian Nationals ;P

2 hours ago, Trygle said:

Listened to this one on my way back from work. (Haven't got to CARBALL yet)

Was good, Really interesting to hear how Hunters are meant to play from the perspective of one of their designers....

Kinda bummed/relieved that they play exactly how they planned it.

Bummed because I don't think the effort is worth the in-game reward playing them half the time, pleased because they intended for them to be difficult and theme-y.

Interesting to hear a player say a Guild can come down to muscle memory though... I understand game plans and executing that game plan consistently, and Morts are no doubt the best at maintaining consistency, but it seems like an odd concept in an alternate activation game.

Another good one! Also good to hear a designer being humble (and professional) about how to approach things in a game. Though I couldn't make out what was mumbled prior to Jamie's response.

Thanks for the response.  The muscle memory I think is also the ability to see certain game states and recognise what does and does not work in that situation. I think with enough games you can get used to most situations and how to deal with them, or what to do first in order of importance. 

The Muscle Memory almost seems like an internal flowchart.  If X does this, Y piece in my army is my response, whether it's a direct counter or a setup to an unaffected plan.

Still working through the cast.  Got past Jamie's excellent section, working on Tim's.  Some great stuff.  

Gotcha.  

11 hours ago, RandomScrub said:

Thanks for the feedback mate. General mumbling or particular mumbling? Always looking to improve audio.

The muscle memory comment is more about knowing your stuff well enough to internalise what everything does, how it synergises and how to intuitively optimise your activations.

Mumbling was right after you asked Jamie what he thought about Warmachine. My brother heard "devolved into spamming" and I heard "revolves around jamming".

Thanks for the clarification on muscle memory,  I've always heard that used in the concept of full turn games where each player gets to move all their things at once.

I can see my Brewers coming down to muscle memory, but definitely not my Hunters. My will to play them is entirely fueled by the salt and ire generated every time I try to do something....so I'll figure them out eventually.

24 minutes ago, tarkand said:

Silly question maybe... but what's Jamie's game plan with that fully loaded Hearne? 

He jumps in a forest and can now pretty much charge anybody, fair enough... but won't he just get crushed in return? :(

From what I gathered he mentioned choosing a particular player as his brawling style, so I had assumed this is because one of 2 options:

1. He has predetermined a squishy target or a "wasted" activation (Such as Greede or a Mascot) that Hearne can easily kill with a BotSF and 3 inf.

2. Maybe not extending as far out and severely wound a character to the point of risking death next turn  from the momentum gathered by Hearne and momentum denied by "Midnight Offering" Hearne away from the scrap.

He also likes to play Zarola... someone a lot of us have benched very early on. Could also explain why Jamie mentions he scores more often than other folks, a free jog is pretty sweet if you are going for goals.

Edited by Trygle
Missing the last sentence

Once again, another legendary cast lads! Can't wait to hear the next one.

Tim, I work with European nationals all day at work and I must say, your English was great.  Much better than what I hear at work and these people work and live here!

Dont appologies, you did good :-)

Thanks, i was a bit worried because I was searching for the right words a lot. 

@ Hunters: I think I've never benched Zarola. She and Jaecar are pretty common picks if I'm playing Hunters.  Midnight Offering offers you an amazing toolbox Option,  which can be used offensivly and defensivly . It's a nice way to speed up your beaters or strikers, or to reposition them,after sending them in. Unpredictable Movement is a nice way to block off Pinned models without reach just by placing Zarola on their only possible path. People are concerned that hunters cannot score as fast as other teams could,  what might be true,  but you have lots of options which allow you to deny your opponents to score .

@muscle memory: It is not like i am doing the same stuff all over again,  but you learn how to handle certain models and situations. It really helps reevaluating the game state and chosing your primary target. 

19 hours ago, Timmaay said:

I feel a bit sorry for my bad english , i am definitly not used to speak it. I feel more comfortable writing it.  

you speak better English than some native English speakers mate ;P

I am going to experiment with some Zarola/Bear shenanigans this week.

20 hours ago, Trygle said:

Gotcha.  

Mumbling was right after you asked Jamie what he thought about Warmachine. My brother heard "devolved into spamming" and I heard "revolves around jamming".

Thanks for the clarification on muscle memory,  I've always heard that used in the concept of full turn games where each player gets to move all their things at once.

I can see my Brewers coming down to muscle memory, but definitely not my Hunters. My will to play them is entirely fueled by the salt and ire generated every time I try to do something....so I'll figure them out eventually.

Cheers, I suppose either misheard phrase works in context!

6 hours ago, Mr Hall said:

Once again, another legendary cast lads! Can't wait to hear the next one.

Tim, I work with European nationals all day at work and I must say, your English was great.  Much better than what I hear at work and these people work and live here!

Dont appologies, you did good :-)

Thanks mate! When can we expect your next one?

28 minutes ago, RandomScrub said:

you speak better English than some native English speakers mate ;P

Thanks mate! When can we expect your next one?

He certainly does! ?

Wel ive got  Veteran Rage and Theron Iines up for interviews, so hopefully I should have it out beginning of October (it would have been in time for the Aussie nationals, but I'm at a tournament on that Sunday myself, that I'm going to be talking about on the cast I think.  It would have been sooner, but I focused on getting the website and other bits up to scratch, usually they'll be monthly (ish) due to work/life commitments.

But episode 3 should be within 4 weeks of that one, so not long to wait :)

Im not sure which way round I can do them, depends on when I can speak to my Theron player ?

More of a technical question, but what's your set up for the Car Balls?

We tried to record something similar (Imitation is the best kind of flattery, right?) for our cast and it the sound levels were all over the place. 

12 hours ago, Mr Hall said:

He certainly does! ?

Wel ive got  Veteran Rage and Theron Iines up for interviews, so hopefully I should have it out beginning of October (it would have been in time for the Aussie nationals, but I'm at a tournament on that Sunday myself, that I'm going to be talking about on the cast I think.  It would have been sooner, but I focused on getting the website and other bits up to scratch, usually they'll be monthly (ish) due to work/life commitments.

But episode 3 should be within 4 weeks of that one, so not long to wait :)

Im not sure which way round I can do them, depends on when I can speak to my Theron player ?

Awesome, can't wait. Work faster you slacker ;P

11 hours ago, tarkand said:

More of a technical question, but what's your set up for the Car Balls?

We tried to record something similar (Imitation is the best kind of flattery, right?) for our cast and it the sound levels were all over the place. 

I use my phone and hold it up while Cam drives? It is a bit of noise reduction in editing and then running audio through Levelator. Seems to do the trick.

I've enjoyed listening to the Podcast, especially the Car report since that's something so many of us do on our way to events.

I'm just starting Hunters, so it was a good listen to see into the conceptual playstyle they had in mind when designing the team. I played a lot of Engineers, and I see a lot of the tactics I did there being easily ported over to Hunters, especially since Hunters have a melee presence, something Engineers lack severely.

Got a lot of ideas for the team I'm looking forward to seeing if it work in practice on the field.

Another very enjoyable cast (Just listened to 4th ep as well which was just as good). Really loving the interviews you're getting and as always Carball is just a lot of fun to listen to. I don't know how you manage the talk on the way back. Depending how much thought I've had to put into my games and how long/late it is, I'm usually one to just zone out and let my brain relax after a nice long gaming session.

3 hours ago, Sidious Mike said:

Another very enjoyable cast (Just listened to 4th ep as well which was just as good). Really loving the interviews you're getting and as always Carball is just a lot of fun to listen to. I don't know how you manage the talk on the way back. Depending how much thought I've had to put into my games and how long/late it is, I'm usually one to just zone out and let my brain relax after a nice long gaming session.

I'm completely the opposite - I go into super analysis mode after a game - our club lets out about 10:30pm but I rarely get to bed before 2am on a game night... Something like Car ball would probably be a great out let for me!

Haven't quite finished this episode yet, but as always, I'm enjoying your work. Always nice to hear Jamie singing the praises of us poor old play testers! ?

It took 3 separate sessions to listen to all that podcast.

Stuck at its too the end. Enjoyed it.

Some guys must have no other interests in life! I don't play enough GBall. Once a month if I am lucky! Twice a week has me jealous, but how many games did our German champ play! No wonder he is good! He was a great interviewee as was Jamie. I really appreciate the insights they give.

Listening to 'Carball' is a bit like 'Test match Special', a listening seat next to well informed players. 

All good. :) 

On 9/16/2016 at 10:50 AM, Devilsquid said:

I've enjoyed listening to the Podcast, especially the Car report since that's something so many of us do on our way to events.

I'm just starting Hunters, so it was a good listen to see into the conceptual playstyle they had in mind when designing the team. I played a lot of Engineers, and I see a lot of the tactics I did there being easily ported over to Hunters, especially since Hunters have a melee presence, something Engineers lack severely.

Got a lot of ideas for the team I'm looking forward to seeing if it work in practice on the field.

Glad you got something useful out of it, thanks for listening. If in doubt, apply bear to face! Or Jaecar ...

On 9/17/2016 at 9:37 AM, WarPanda said:

Great podcast! Any podcast that can get me to laugh out loud like you guys do gets my stamp of approval. Well done and please keep these coming. I find your podcasts entertaining, informative, and well orchestrated. 

Thanks mate, appreciate the kind words. We shall see how long it lasts before a sharp decline in quality ;)

On 9/17/2016 at 7:53 PM, FearLord said:

I'm completely the opposite - I go into super analysis mode after a game - our club lets out about 10:30pm but I rarely get to bed before 2am on a game night... Something like Car ball would probably be a great out let for me!

Haven't quite finished this episode yet, but as always, I'm enjoying your work. Always nice to hear Jamie singing the praises of us poor old play testers! ?

I hear quaaludes can be quite effective if you are having trouble shutting off. Thanks for listening!

On 9/17/2016 at 2:52 AM, The Old Buzzard said:

It took 3 separate sessions to listen to all that podcast.

Stuck at its too the end. Enjoyed it.

Some guys must have no other interests in life! I don't play enough GBall. Once a month if I am lucky! Twice a week has me jealous, but how many games did our German champ play! No wonder he is good! He was a great interviewee as was Jamie. I really appreciate the insights they give.

Listening to 'Carball' is a bit like 'Test match Special', a listening seat next to well informed players. 

All good. :) 

Slow and steady eh mate? My favourite part of doing the cast is getting to speak with so many awesome people. The Guild Ball community is amazing even if small parts of it speak at less-than-normal speed ;P

On 9/19/2016 at 10:43 AM, benber007 said:

Awesome cast guys as usual. I recommend it to anyone who asks.

Really appreciate it mate, thanks for the listen.