Dude

Favorite Scalpel Lineup?

I've played a couple of games with Scalpel now and I'm starting to really like her as a captain.  She brings something very different from Obulus to the field, while still having a solid control feel to her.  I tried a furious lineup (Scalpel, Dirge, Minx, Rage, Cosset, Silence) the other day that was neat, however I don't think I'd want to play them often.  I played a list today though that I think I really like and will probably do a bit of experimenting with.  It was: Scalpel, Dirge, Silence, Ghast, Casket, Rage.  

I thought about playing someone else (maybe Cosset or Bonesaw) in Silence's place, but being an already fairly low-influence team, I thought the extra INF from Silence would be worth it.  There's also some good synergy between Shutout and Tormented Agony.  I did not get much use out of Silence besides his INF however, as he got dragged in and pummeled all game.  I think Cosset or maybe Minx would work fine in his place, though maybe again a bit too reliant on Furious.

Anyway, what are your favorite Scalpel lineups now that we've had some time with her?

Scalpel, Dirge, Silence, A&G, Rage, Mist.

This is, IMO, the best way of making the 6-point Scalpel activation (or consecutive activations over turns 1 and 2) happen, which is her biggest strength I think. It has certainly lost a bit of stock now that everyone has kinda figured out that you just need A&G in your tourney 8, but this still works and Unnatural Stamina definitely means Scalpel doesn't mind quite as much going all-in as she otherwise might.

I will try Scalpel and Obulus with 

Vileswarm, vGraves, Cosset, Rage, Minx

With the damage I will try to go for three takeouts and 1 goal. I also want that 2" reach on at least 1 model. Vileswarm can sit in front of the goal. His base is 40mm, so that's a thing. It also has decent KD (not too overwhelming, but hey, it's something! :D)
Scalpel, Vileswarm, vGraves and even Cossett can push around enemies to free the free-chargers. That's the plan. Will see how it works.

I probaly use Scalpel here, though. She looks nicer in that list, at least on paper.

I will be bringing scalpel this weekend and my lineup will be scalpel, dirge, silence, rage, mist, ghast, a&game, cosset.

I would rather bring minx but she's not painted and won't be ready.

I've been running Scalpel, Vileswarm, VGraves, Ghast, Casket, Bonesaw.

I've played a couple games like this, but I think I may get more bang for my buck with Dirge and Silence instead of VGraves and Swarm.

1 hour ago, iaipunk said:

I've been running Scalpel, Vileswarm, VGraves, Ghast, Casket, Bonesaw.

I've played a couple games like this, but I think I may get more bang for my buck with Dirge and Silence instead of VGraves and Swarm.

Oddly, I was sat here thinking I need vGraves and Vileswarm for my line up.

Ive been playing Scalpel, Dirge, Cosset, Bonesaw, Rage and the final spot filled with either Ghast, Mist or Silence. As useful as he is, I don't like how Ghast encourages everyone to bunch up in the middle. It gets in the way of my game plan for the test of the team. I think vet Graves would fill this gap well, bringing some much needed speed and 2" Melee.

I rarely get chance to get Silence squeeze out a new Dirge because I want him to go first, and he'll use all the mp he generates on Tucked and Shutout. Graves is still happy to activate last though, by which time I should have pocketed enough mp. 

11 hours ago, CurlyPaul said:

Oddly, I was sat here thinking I need vGraves and Vileswarm for my line up.

Ive been playing Scalpel, Dirge, Cosset, Bonesaw, Rage and the final spot filled with either Ghast, Mist or Silence. As useful as he is, I don't like how Ghast encourages everyone to bunch up in the middle. It gets in the way of my game plan for the test of the team. I think vet Graves would fill this gap well, bringing some much needed speed and 2" Melee.

I rarely get chance to get Silence squeeze out a new Dirge because I want him to go first, and he'll use all the mp he generates on Tucked and Shutout. Graves is still happy to activate last though, by which time I should have pocketed enough mp. 

This. It might be useful to bring Dirge back, but as you said, it definitely pressures you to use 4 Inf on him while he also could use that precious momentum for bonus time. Graves doesnt really need it that mich and can push around, generate momentum, make people bleed and recreate vileswarm for some crowded out after two hits. Haven't got used to him, but he is definitely on my bucket list when it comes to players that I want to master in my guildball "career".

That's why I'm going to play VGraves many more times before I switch him out.
I think I may just still be getting the hang of him.

I didn't think about the momentum use on Silence to Bonus Time his plays.
He's not very influence needy, but he will be momentum needy.

Anyone played against a Fillet led, pure Butcher lineup and had much joy? Ive got my first Big League match wednesday but this will be my first time facing Butchers. My Squad and potential starting line-up is:

Scalpel, Dirge, Ghast, Rage, Silence, Mist

Subs: Avarisse and Greed, Cosset

Cheers,

Had a blast playing Scalpel at a local tournament yesterday - Balls to This. I took Scalpel, Dirge, Cosset and Rage as the core team plus Bonesaw, Ghast, Silence and Mist who all go switched around. Sadly I don't think Bonesaw got a game, I didn't get an opponent that I could get away with no 2" Melee at all. I've played less than 10 games with Scalpel so was a bit unaware what to expect against a lot of teams. 

Quick run down..

Game one: Ballista's Engineers beat me 12-6. Tough match up for Scalpel, their threat ranges reduce the value her high mobility, and Minefield on turn 2 was actually a problem as well. Keen for a rematch, Ballista is an interesting one. Kicked and launched Scalpel right into the closest model, push dodging a the target into my half. Then the crossbows come out and she ends up practically back on my deployment line again. Awesome.

Game two: Sharks Fish, I won 12-4. I won the roll and opted for him to kick to me. He set up very spread out, with Shark, Salt and Jac one wing, with the ball on Jac. He booted it as close to the edge of the board as he could, which I thought was a cool opener. If I sent someone to get the ball, Jac would knock them of the edge of the pitch easily. If I left the ball there, I risked it getting into Sharks hands. Decided to sacrifice Dirge, who was promptly pushed off the pitch and the ball was scattered from the centre. Scalpel did a lot of work in this game, dragging people around the pitch and keeping Salt stocked up with inf. Also played Mist very aggressively, his speed and 2" reach were indispensable. 

Game three: Obulus! After I took a bit of friendly trash talk about how I was doomed to loose to the superior captain, I bought this home 12-6. Obulus was tough though, had to be really cautious about the first turn Missile to retrieve a target from the other side of the pitch because of his own huge threat range. Rigor Mortis was my main problem though, and AandG were the next biggest problem. Really could not activate Scalpel before Obulus, and his extra activation just added to the pressure. Killed Dirge early in turn 2 to even that back out. It was neck and neck on the way to 6-6, then Silence strikes. It was his only successfully trick of the day, but he landed Tucked on Obulus when he was stacked and couldn't do much useful. Scalpel was then free to wreck the board and the game swung in my favour.

Game four: Hunters. Thereon wins 12-6. Hadn't thought through what would happen here, so just went with my standard game plan of grabbing a soft target. Got Herne into range, but couldn't remove enough inf from him to neutralise him, which was risky having him stood so close, and Scalpel still in range of the opponent. Thereon shut out Rage single handed for pretty much the entire game, wherever I left Rage, he dropped a forest in the way. He played a tough denial game all round, had the ball out of my reach and just slaughtered me. Was really surprised with how much damage they could generate, Jaecar, Hearne and Fahad just minced their way through me. Another match up I can't wait to figure out.

Really loved the hit and run play style and the puzzles my new team brings. Lack of 2" reach was the main problem with it, so definitely going to adding vGraves now. Didn't really have any problems with inf, I had 12 most games and 2 furious guys, and more momentum than I could use. I think I only lost two initiative rolls in all four games. 

35 minutes ago, ArmOfObulus said:

Anyone played against a Fillet led, pure Butcher lineup and had much joy? Ive got my first Big League match wednesday but this will be my first time facing Butchers. My Squad and potential starting line-up is:

Scalpel, Dirge, Ghast, Rage, Silence, Mist

Subs: Avarisse and Greed, Cosset

Cheers,

Def 5 is a real killer, need to take Boiler of the table as much as possible so she can't get to 6. Try and spread yourself out so that she can't easily kill more than one a turn. I think I'd try feeding her Ghast, and while she's chewing through him dominate the football game. Good luck and have fun.

15 hours ago, Narak said:

I could care less about Fillet getting swift stance. Thats 2 whole influence of her team doing even less. 

While I agree with this in general, in the Fillet vs Scalpel matchup I think Swift Stance is pretty brutal. Then again, I think Fillet is one of Scalpel's worst matchups anyway... Scalpel really is NOT a big fan of 5+/0 defensive statlines on important enemies. 

Cheers for the info CurlyPaul,  sounds like im going to have a tough time in my local big league. theres at least 3 running Fillet but ive got them in tge first two weeks so at worst i should be fully stocked up with Favours. 

Im wondering whether to attempt to tie up Fillet with Ghast and keep her at a low hp and leave my opponent with the choice of loading her up with inf so i can take her out before she activates or not allocate her any at all. 

Going to be a tough couple of games i think

Played again last night: Scalpel, Vileswarm, Vet Graves, Ghast, Casket, Bonesaw vs Union: Vet Rage, Strongbox, Mist, Decimate, Gutter, Hemlocke

It ended 12-0 (2-2). It was his first time playing, so I feel a little bad about it, but I think this line up is very viable.
The more I play with it, the more use I get out of it.
Vet Rage and Vileswarm did a good job cutting up his guys so that Scalpel could come in and finish the job.
Casket tied down the middle and slowed Rage.
Ghast kept Gutter held up (and Hemlocke).
Bonesaw hung back to guard the goal, but also advanced at the end to score the final goal.

Did you get much use out of Bonesaw?

I've returned him to practise games and he's been getting a lot done for me.

I'd also considered 2 tarpits but not tried it out yet, I'd love to play Casket more because he looks great and the option of the box is nice.

This game, I didn't get much use out of Bonesaw. He played (large-base) goalie.
That was his job with those fast Union models on the pitch (mostly Mist).
But in the next to the last turn, we ended up with a loose ball that he sprinted to and picked up.
Then he went on the next turn and (second activation) scored the game-winning goal.

I haven't proxied vet Graves or Vileswarm to see for myself, but for those of you who have, what makes them so good with Scalpel?  Obviously Graves and Vileswarm have good synergy together, but what about with Scalpel?

It depends who you ask. I use them to hold down a flank with Scalpel on the other side.
I only know what I use him for.
Some recent opinions say there are still better models than VGraves in the Morts lineup.

The only issue I have with a scalpel team is I'm usually low on influence and she likes to be stacked up. Try not to play casket, rage and a&g together.  Also I have not found a good spot for bonesaw. Pretty squishy on 4/0 with 12 or 13 boxes, not a lot of control which is what the morticians like. Low tac, I'm not grasping him yet

I haven't tried it yet but on my next game I think i will run Cosset, Ghast, casket and mist probably. Cosset and scapal can set someone up for casket. Whilst mist lurks ready for an opportunity goal.

@The Old Buzzard would be really interested to hear how you get on with V Graves and vileswarm. I am still not convinced by them. Vanilla Graves does more of what I want. Where as it feels like vet Graves is all about making the mascot better. This is just from looking at the card though as I haven't played either yet.