Sign in to follow this  
Clocktopus

First game against Brewers tonight

My LGS is hosting a league, and tonight is the first night.  I think I'm pretty good with the Fishermen, but haven't played against Brewers and they look really nasty.  High damage, tanky, long charges, lots of KD, and good scoring potential.  I'm unsure who I want to run, and what I should focus on.  Have any advice?

Brewers tend to be slow and low defense. A quick, goal scoring Shark led team can really be effective. If your opponent is playing Tapper, try to get him and Hooper G&S every turn and then try to dodge Shark out of their threat ranges. Let the rest of your team focus on goal scoring while Shark shuts down the enemy team's dmg dealers for two or three turns until he eventually gets taken out. You should be able to get a couple goals in that time. Greyscales is a good option as he is hard to get a hold of. Siren has her merits too. Their low defense should land you enough hits to reliably out maneuver their team.

I usually like Murder Fish (even against the butchers) but I would most certainly recommend a Shark Team against the Brewers. Shark is going to give you one turn of absolutely crippling movement on the brewers with his legendary and if you can gut and string anyone your are talking about pretty everyone being immobile for a turn, could really help set you up for a two goal turn if you have wingers out to catch the ball and Shark (presumably) in the center.

I would say that Siren and Sakana are MUST HAVES against the brewers. Sakana's weak point and anatomical precision are both pretty helpful. Most of the team has low Def so seduced is probably going to be a game changer for you.

If you have hemlock she is not a bad idea to clear fire and knockdowns while preserving your own momentum plus she is a bugger to hit. Greyscales is usually not a bad call for the line up either with his unpredictable that still triggers even if he is knocked down. A&G are usually a good idea, really recommend if you know your opponent is bringing them.

I would recommend strongly against Corsair as you are just going to spin your wheels trying to kill a brewers team with him, especially if Esters shows up.

The mascots are fairly irrelevant against these goons. If  you take Angel take Salt for the buff. If you don't take Angel take Tentacles on the off chance you have a good set up for blind.

Probably wouldn't take Jac myself because the damage isn't going to matter but his trident tested and Shark's legendary is a killer combo to clear up goal shot lanes if everything gets gummed up. I also am not a huge fan of Angel in the match up because of how brittle she is going to be and putting an influence into nimble means you are spending one less on something helpful. Fangtooth could be helpful in the middle to slow down a team that is already noticeably slower than yours but he is going to be a momentum battery for your opponent. Snakeskin? Could be helpful but I've honestly never ran her against the brewers so I'm unsure. 

ok, so I'm looking at Shark, Sakana, Tentacles (because I choose to leave Salt off of the roster), Greyscales, Hemlock, Angel.  

How is Siren useful against them? Pulling them out of position? Honestly, I don't like her.  The abilities are so expensive and she is incredibly fragile.  

Tentacles is going to be more of a liability against the Brewers I think, unless you're /very/ careful with him. Salt is so slippery and aids Angel, I'd personally use him instead.

Use Siren to make charges with. She will activate seduced on 3 and have the chance for wrapping. Potentially generating 3 momentum off of 2 influence and gaining possession of the ball. Also since there are a lot of men on the Brewers team she will typically get her extra DEF against them. I agree with Siberys that Salt may be a better option. Though this is a rare instance where he is the right choice in my opinion. She is also a good scoring option so I think you could replace her for Angel as between Shark, Sakana, and Greyscales you will already have plenty of scoring options.

I'm inclined to agree. Salt and Angel feel very much like a package deal, especially considering who else you're bringing. If you take tentacles I'd maybe take Kraken and run him at the back just to harpoon people out of position and soak up some hits. If he gets into the fray there is always the chance to run the length with Siren to get the arm bonus.

If you take Angel it is probably worth taking salt. No one wants to swing at him anyway.

1 hour ago, Pending Forum Suspension said:

I'm inclined to agree. Salt and Angel feel very much like a package deal, especially considering who else you're bringing. If you take tentacles I'd maybe take Kraken and run him at the back just to harpoon people out of position and soak up some hits. If he gets into the fray there is always the chance to run the length with Siren to get the arm bonus.

If you take Angel it is probably worth taking salt. No one wants to swing at him anyway.

Not until the end of the turn at least... :P

General non-specific advice for Brewers

• Kill order: Scum > Spigot >>>> Friday. Anything else is probably too much work to kill. These three you can sometime manage to drag out and zerg.
  • If they get the ball and brick up, just let them have it. It's much better letting them score rather than sending all your guys in to die slowly, getting them to 10 VPs and giving them a chance to score a BM goal with Scum.

Basically don't fight in the middle of the field.

Went REALLY well for me. I used Shark, Tentacles, Sakana, Greyscales, Kraken, and Siren.  Start of the game, my opponent deployed on the GOAL line instead of the starting line, an accident which neither of us noticed until 4/6 through 1st turn. I had used Siren to kick the ball out to a wall, he picked it up with Friday, and was unable to kick to Scum because of the distance.  I Lured Friday over with the ball.  Scum ran up to try and help her, but Kraken was ready.  Several attacks from the rest of the team and he had slowly brought up the rest of his team and I mashed Friday and Scum out of action, while Shark took the ball, moved up to score, and feated.  He bounced the ball back to Tapper, who was able to give it to Stave, who spent most of the game trying to get up close or lobbing casks at Greyscales who I used to cover that side.  He used a plot to give Stave Close Control, but Greyscales charged him, wrapped and used Tackle and Ball's Gone to take the ball, but Shark was not close enough to pass.  I spent the rest of the turn wracking up MP, then Greyscales with initiative pokes Stave to get a 2" Dodge, a Push/Dodge, uses Where'd They Go? and finally shoots the goal with a Bonus Time. GG.

12-0. Killed a mascot for the league, scored 5 CP from using Caught in a Net, and no take-outs against my team.

1 hour ago, Clocktopus said:

Went REALLY well for me. I used Shark, Tentacles, Sakana, Greyscales, Kraken, and Siren.  Start of the game, my opponent deployed on the GOAL line instead of the starting line, an accident which neither of us noticed until 4/6 through 1st turn. I had used Siren to kick the ball out to a wall, he picked it up with Friday, and was unable to kick to Scum because of the distance.  I Lured Friday over with the ball.  Scum ran up to try and help her, but Kraken was ready.  Several attacks from the rest of the team and he had slowly brought up the rest of his team and I mashed Friday and Scum out of action, while Shark took the ball, moved up to score, and feated.  He bounced the ball back to Tapper, who was able to give it to Stave, who spent most of the game trying to get up close or lobbing casks at Greyscales who I used to cover that side.  He used a plot to give Stave Close Control, but Greyscales charged him, wrapped and used Tackle and Ball's Gone to take the ball, but Shark was not close enough to pass.  I spent the rest of the turn wracking up MP, then Greyscales with initiative pokes Stave to get a 2" Dodge, a Push/Dodge, uses Where'd They Go? and finally shoots the goal with a Bonus Time. GG.

12-0. Killed a mascot for the league, scored 5 CP from using Caught in a Net, and no take-outs against my team.

Nice work. That is the same team I have run my last 3 games. I really like the way it works together. I played a game tonight where Shark flubbed his first goal and I missed two passes at the start of the game. The team was able to rally and get the game back barely winning 12-10. Bummer about the opponent deploying wrongly, but Its not your position to tell your opponent how to deploy. 

Way to go with the League scoring. Ill probably try to get my local league going in January after the holidays.

Well done - Keep in mind that close control only protects against playbook tackle results - Balls gone gets around it completely, so you could have used your wrap for something else other than the tackle.

In general I consider Brewers one of the better match ups for Fishermen. As long as dice don't screw you over, Shark can make the first few turns very hard for them, and that can be all they need sometimes.

2 hours ago, FearLord said:

Well done - Keep in mind that close control only protects against playbook tackle results - Balls gone gets around it completely, so you could have used your wrap for something else other than the tackle.

Are you sure about that? Close control stays ignore the first Tackle.  Ball's Gone EXPLICITLY says Tackle the ball carrier then you may give possession to another person within 4".

Close Control ignores the first Tackle Playbook Result. Ball's Gone is a Play, not a Playbook result.

It's in the Collected Clarifications thread - 

Search for 'Close Control'.