Savon

Fisherman: Player Profiles

Sakana - Striker

SAKANA.png

Stats

• Base Size: 30mm
  • Melee Zone: 2" - Have I said this enough? We like to keep our distance.
  • MOV: 6"/8" - Pretty good speed for a striker.
  • TAC: 5 - 5 rolling 5 dice on a striker is extremely nice. 
  • KICK: 3/8" - Great kick stat for Sakana. He definitely has the range, and can bonus time up to 4 dice.
  • DEF: 4+ - Pretty standard defense.
  • ARM: 1 - Combine this with his DEF stat and Sakana is pretty durable.
  • INF: 2/4 - More standard stats for Sakana

Character Traits

• Anatomical Precision - Sakana ignores a point of ARM when making attacks. This is an extremely valuable trait and almost guarantees that Sakana will get a success or two when making an attack.
  • Poised - Once per turn, Sakana can make a Counter Attack without spending MP. If only this trait was on all Fisherman models. With low dodges on his playbook, Sakana can counter attack and dodge out of melee or debuff enemy models for when the rest of your team gets to them. This gives Sakana some slipperiness to help him escape takeouts and bad spots.
  • Cover of Darkness - When Sakana begins an advance while benefitting from cover he gains [+2"/+2"] MOV. This is a great ability for Sakana and really lets him move across the pitch quickly. This essentially makes Sakana an [8"/10"] MOV. Combine this with a Tidal Surge or Quick Foot from Shark and Sakana can reach break neck speeds. 

Character Plays

• Smoke Bomb (Cost 1, RNG 8", AOE 3") - Drop a 3" AOE that provides cover. Sakana can boost his own speed when not starting in cover? Sweet! He can drop this cloud on you cluster of fighting fish to give -1 die to enemies coming into it? Great! Give Sakana that cover he needs to stay alive? This is all sounding pretty good.
  • Weak Point (Cost GB, P) - Target enemy model suffers -1 ARM for the remainder of the turn. This ability is great for Sakana to have. Sometimes those DEF 4 ARM 1 models can be annoying for Shark or Corsair to get successes on. Why not knock them back a bit. Need to guarantee a takeout on a model loaded up with ARM? Debut his toughness for you beater to come finish the job.

Playbook

• One Success
    • 1 DMG - Although Sakana can do some damage if you really need him to, I find he is better suited to put Weak Point on the enemy and let someone else to the damage dealing.Typically I would not take this result.
    • Momentous 1" dodge - You've seen this result on many players before Sakana and by now I am sure it is obvious why it is such a powerful result on one success for fisherman players. Savanna is no exception.
  • Two Success
    • Tackle - Sakana is a Stryker afterall. 
    • Momentous GB - Weak Point. Unless I am trying to get Sakana somewhere, or the enemy model has no ARM, this is the result I will typically choose.
  • Three Success
    • 2 DMG - Same as the 1 DMG result
    • Momentous 1 DMG and GB (Weak Point) - Sakana's playbook seems to get better the higher it goes. 3 successes? This is most likely the result you want.
  • Four Success
    • Momentous 2" dodge - Again, Sakana's playbook gets better. When he starts hitting the 4 and 5 results he can really start moving across the pitch.
  • Five Success
    • 2" dodge, 2" push - For Fisherman this is one of the best results available to them. It could only be better if it was momentous. Because it is on 5 successes I find that I do not typically get this result. Or, if I do get this result, Sakana does not have the ball or is not in a position to get the ball. However, This can be a great result for getting an enemy model to a better position for the rest of your team.
    • 2 DMG and GB (Weak Point) - Like I mentioned earlier, Sakana is better to set up a takeout as opposed to actually dealing the damage himself. For this reason, I will usually choose the 3 success result that is momentous. However if you are worried that the takeout is not going to happen without that little bit extra, This is an ok result to choose.

Kick off Strategy

• Sakana is the man to kick off with. With a base jog of 6" and a kick of 8", Sakana can really blitz when kicking off. Deploy him on one side of the pitch and move and kick to the other. Because he rolls 3 dice, he is likely to be able to reroll his scatter to get the ball in the most optimal position. Savanna is also a good model to kick off with because of his poised ability. If an enemy model can get up to him to make an attack, he can make a counter attack and dodge out of melee with him. 

General thoughts on Sakana

• Goal Threat - Cover of Darkness and a 3/8" KICK makes Sakana have a decent shot at goal most turns if he has the ball. Factor in a dodge from a pass or fast ground and Sakana can get up to the 20-22" goal threat range. 
  • Ball holder - Sakana can effectively hold on to the ball from most enemy attacks. Because of his 2" melee zone, and poised it usually takes 2 or more influence to get the ball off of him. 
  • Buffing and Debuffing - Sakana's Weak Point is ideal for weakening enemy models for takeouts. If things are lined up well, Sakana can get WP on 2-3 enemy models per activation. Sakana's Smoke Bomb is also an ideal play for getting the meat of your damage dealers some cover. This can be especially effective when playing Corsair with Kraken and or Avarisse and Greede. The 3" Smoke cloud can give cover to 3-4 models and help to prevent the enemy from taking out your models faster than you can take out theirs.
  • Best non captain player? - Many people believe that Sakana is the Fisherman's best non Captain player and it is easy to see why. Extremely quick, Great kick, great playbook, and some exceptional character plays to help out your team. He can definitely get some work done. As far as him being our best non Captain player, I think it depends on which way you are playing the game. Takeouts or goals. Either way, Sakana usually finds a place in my roster. 

55 minutes ago, Fitz said:

Man, this is such a good thread but seriously, anyone who thinks Sakana > Grey Scales needs to have a long hard look at themselves.

On paper Sakana wins, But in practice Greyscales is just soooo good! I will say that Sakana has been giving me some good utility lately.

I recently played a game against Hammer Masons where I set up Greyscales for the first turn goal. Sakana then proceeded to put 2 more goals in with Bonus times shooting through Hammer. It was quite glorious. Especially since Sakana usually loves to miss goals for me. Maybe I just need to shoot through the opponent's captains more with him?

Greyscales is typically a nuisance to my opponents, but Sakana's speed and utility make him my preferred of the two.  Sakana goes in EVERY list hands down.  Greyscales...most lists.  Plus, once opponents figure out how to deal with Unpredictable movement, Sakana's Poised and 1 Arm are more useful.

2 hours ago, Clocktopus said:

Greyscales is typically a nuisance to my opponents, but Sakana's speed and utility make him my preferred of the two.  Sakana goes in EVERY list hands down.  Greyscales...most lists.  Plus, once opponents figure out how to deal with Unpredictable movement, Sakana's Poised and 1 Arm are more useful.

I put Greyscales in everything because he is awesome when I have the ball and when I don't. Not to say that I don't run both 90% of the time, just that if you MADE me pick only one it would be Grey Scales.

For me at least its about their individual utility.

Sakana is great as a striker and an obvious threat, if he has the ball my opponent has to do something because his range is fantastic and he gets a free counter if they come in to tackle him. Against slower teams like brewers or the high armour masons he is an absolute must.

Greyscales is phenomenal at either getting the ball back, grabbing it out from other players melee ranges, or making some unseen vector at the goal because of his awesome movement shenanigans. Plus he is so very hard to pin down so that while his defensive stats aren't great, his defensive abilities are incredible. Against teams with a lot of 1" melee he is the nuts.

Sorry its been a while guys. I have been busy with a tournament over the weekend and some changes going on with my job. More content will be coming soon.

Tentacles - Mascot

TENTACLES.png

Stats

• Base Size: 40mm
  • Melee Zone: 2" - 2" melee on a mascot? Yes please!
  • MOV: 4"/6" - A bit on the slow side for Fish, but he gets around this with other abilities
  • TAC: 3 - Its better than TAC 2 right? 
  • KICK: 2/6" - A mascot with a decent kick stat? Yes, yes it is.
  • DEF: 4+ - Pretty standard defense.
  • ARM: 1 - Combine this with his DEF stat and Tentacles is pretty durable.
  • INF: 1/2 - He brings standard but can only hold 2. Fine TAC stats for Tentacles.

Character Traits

• Close Control - Tentacles ignores the first tackle result made against him each turn. With DEF 4 and ARM 1, Tentacles can be extremely difficult to get the ball off of.
  • Tag Along - This is how Tentacles keeps up with the faster fish. Once per turn, when a friendly model leave Tentacles's melee zone he may make a jog directly towards that model. This is great for getting Tentacles up the board and getting extra gang up bonuses etc. 

Character Plays

• Blind (Cost 1, RNG 8") - Target enemy model suffers -2 TAC, [-2/-2] KICK, and [-2/-2] MOV. This is a really great play especially when Tentacles can get it on an imminent goal or damage threat. It is a bit risky with one die, but it can be effective.

Playbook

• One Success
    • 1 DMG - Usually not Tentacles best option, but it is there if you are looking for the extra damage for a take out.
    • Momentous Tackle - One of the Fishermen's few momentous Tackle results. This is great for parting blows and counter attacks, however Tentacles usually doesn't get influence from me to make basic attacks.
  • Two Success
    • 1" dodge - This is great for counter attacks and for getting disengaged. 
    • Momentous 1" push - Similar result as the dodge, but momentous. This also helps for repositioning enemy models for gang ups.
  • Three Success
    • 2 DMG - Same as the 1 DMG result
    • Momentous 2" push - Similar to 1" push but 2". Tentacles tentacles are sticky. :)

Kick off Strategy

• Although Tentacles can get the ball over the line, he is not an optimal kick off model due to his low MOV value. He will also struggle to benefit from Tag Along if he gets that far out in front of your other friendly models as well. 

General thoughts on Tentacles

• Ball Hog - By far I feel Tentacles is most useful as a ball holder. With Close Control and the fact that he is either almost always behind or benefitting from crowd outs from other friendly models he can be extremely difficult to get the ball off. Combine this with his tackle result on 1 success and he can force enemies to burn 3-4 influence trying to get the ball off of him.
  • Gang Ups - Tentacles is great at providing gang up bonuses. with 2" melee it is fairly easy to get Tentacles in position to provide that extra die for your damage dealers and or momentum generators. Tag along also allows Tentacles to get into position for gang ups outside of activation. Corsair loves all the gang up bonuses.
  • Durability - With 9 boxes, DEF 4, ARM 1, and 2" melee Tentacles holds up slightly better than Salt to being taken out. That being said, he still goes down quickly when the appropriate damage dealer gets into him. Try to keep him with his buddies to increase his survivability.
  • Usefullness - Although Tentacles doesn't have anything obviously great about him as some other guilds mascots do, I find him to be much more useful than Salt typically is. 2" melee, gang up bonuses, and ball holding means Tentacles is typically contributing something every turn. This is a bit more than I can say about Salt. Tentacles therefore is my go to mascot for most games. In Shark and Corsair lists he is typically the mascot I will go for.