Savon

Fisherman: Player Profiles

These are some general thoughts and ideas on the Fisherman team's abilities and plays. These are simply my opinions and ideas and they do not encompass all strategies or capabilities of the team. Hopefully some of these ideas can help some players learn a new trick about their guild.

If you have an idea or suggestion about something else that should be added to a player's profile, or have found a mistake, comment below and I will consider adding it. I hope to add a new player every 2-3 days. Without further ado, here is Shark.

Shark - Captain, Striker

SHARK.png

Stats

• Base Size: 30mm
  • Melee Zone: 2" - 2 is always better than 1 right?
  • MOV: 7"/9" - One of the best base movement stats in the game. Helps Shark get where he needs to be on the pitch quickly
  • TAC: 6 - Average captain dice. Not amazing, but nothing to scoff at either 
  • KICK: 4/8" - Again Shark has one of the best base stats in the game. He likes to score goals...
  • DEF: 4+ - Solid Defensive stat for a captain
  • ARM: 1 - Pretty standard for a captain
  • INF: 4/6 - Again standard influence pool for a captain

Character Traits

• Light Footed - Lets Shark ignore the rough ground penalty. This is especially helpful when going against models with Foul Odor (Fangtooth, Casket)

Legendary Play

• Caught in a Net - [-4"/-4"] MOV penalty for all enemy models within an 8" pulse. This legendary can be ball busting if used early in the turn. Ideally, Shark would be the first player to activate on the turn this play is used to catch as many models as possibly in the legendary. Try to get Shark clear of the enemy clusters once he pops this play to keep him safe from your opponent's red faced anger... Make sure you smile every time they ask you how much movement debuff each of their players are at throughout the turn. :)

Character Plays

• Quick Foot (Cost 2, RNG 4") - Increase friendly models MOV by [+2"/+2"]. I typically use this on the first turn if I am trying to set up a turn one goal (Let's be honest, who isn't?). After the first turn I typically do not use this play again. Usually 2 influence for 2 attacks for Shark is better for me. Although If I am low on momentum, this is a good way to circumvent burning or snared.
  • Gut And String (Cost GB, RNG P) - Decrease enemy model's MOV by [-4", -4"] and [-1] DEF. This is Shark's bread and butter and should typically be used at least once every time Shark activates. Pair this with Shark's Legendary to destroy the enemy teams movement, use it to decrease DEF on enemy models for more successes with Shark or decrease DEF to set up for your other models to get more results. Any way you slice it, this is probably Shark's best play.
  • Tidal Surge (Cost 3/GBGB, RNG 6") - Target model may make a 4" dodge. This play is extremely valuable, however, I find it extremely situational. Use this play turn one to get another scoring threat into position, use it to put enemy models out of a charge lane or out of melee with friendly models, use it to set up a charge or set up for a push off the pitch. The reason this play typically doesn't see much use for me is because of its cost. I would usually rather use three influence to be generating momentum and moving Shark around the pitch, and getting the 6 results necessary to proc this play from his playbook is fairly difficult. That being said, if I can get this play from the playbook I will always take it unless I really need a KD.

Playbook

• One Success
    • 1 DMG - Never take this result unless you are trying to finish off a player or trying to kill something with minimal Hit boxes
    • Momentous 1" dodge - This will be Shark's #1 used playbook result not only because it is on the 1 result, but because it not only generates a momentum, but it also lets Shark reposition, which is what he does best.
  • Two Success
    • 2" dodge - This is a great result for Shark. The double dodge essentially lets him jump between players that are 7" apart without using his movement to do it. If you really need Shark to get somewhere quickly this is the way to do it. If you can afford the 1 success momentous 1" dodge though that will typically be the better play. 
    • Tackle - What good would a Striker be if he couldn't tackle the ball.
  • Three Success
    • 2 DMG - Same as the 1 DMG result
    • Momentous GB - This activates Gut and String. Unless you are short on influence or you have already G&S the enemy model you should almost always use this ability. not only does it hamper their movement, but it sets up Shark to get more results on his next attack. Shark likes more results.
  • Four Success
    • Momentous 1" push, 1" dodge - If the enemy model is already G&S this is what I typically go for. Shark can either drag a low DEF model around the pitch positioning himself more fairly, or drag a model around the pitch to poorly position the opposition. This is also a great way to set up for pushing someone off the pitch.
  • Five Success
    • Knock Down - Although KD is a valuable tool, I often find that I will not choose this result over a reposition. A model that is G&S is almost as good as a KD'd model to Shark. However, if there is influence to spare, and you get the results, further lowering DEF and forcing your opponent to spend momentum is never a bad option. This is also great to have for those parting blows should Shark ever get the chance to make them.
    • 3 DMG - Same as 2 DMG result
  • Six Success
    •  Momentus GBGB - This activates Tidal Surge. Depending on the situation this can be used on an enemy model or a friendly model. Typically I will try to choose an enemy model  That I can dodge into Sharks range to be able to keep repositioning Shark. If I am running low on influence to keep moving I might try to dodge a heavily influence loaded enemy away from friendly models or position a Friendly model in a better location.

Kick off Strategy

• Typically I will forego kicking off with Shark in favor of another player. However Shark definitely has the potential to get a turn one if not second activation goal. In order to achieve this the ball either needs to be on the route to an enemy model or in possession of an enemy model. Typically I will try to kick the ball either off to one side where one of the opponent's strikers can retrieve the ball and get it back to a team mate, or I kick it to a non goal threat enemy model and away from the enemy strikers. Try to position Shark close to the halfway line, but away from enemy threats. If you can park him behind some difficult terrain or behind an obstruction and kick the ball there will be less opportunity to be pushed or moved out of position. Ideally the enemy will retrieve the ball and pass it back to a teammate. This is Sharks opportunity. If he is in range to charge the model with the ball that will usually be the best option. This will get you the maximum distance and the possibility of wrapping. Best case scenario you can take a tackle and a tidal surge. If you have influence left over, try to position yourself to buy a few attacks for the momentum before shooting on goal. Don't forget to use your legendary before you shoot and take the 4" dodge after the successful goal to try to keep Shark safe.

General thoughts on Shark

• Activation timing - Although Shark is not as timing critical as other players, I do find I would rather go earlier in the turn than later. Shark likes to take a lot of influence for himself so he generates a lot of momentum for the team. That momentum is critical for a team that is reliant on healing, counter attacks, and Defensive stances.
  • Don't get bogged down - Shark can deal with one or two models crowding him out, but don't wait to react until its too late. Shark has a BIG target on his back for many of the more beaty teams, so they will natural try to crowd him out so that when they send in their damage dealer they get maximum output. This is why I try to counter attack almost every attack that Shark is able to. (unless he will likely get KD'd) With a double dodge on 2 successes it is easy to ruin an opponents setup by getting shark out of scrums.
  • Don't be afraid to lose Shark - Shark will get taken out. It is a natural repercussion of Shark's over extension play style. If scoring a goal will put you in a good position to win a game but Shark will likely be taken out, I will usually sacrifice him. Because of his speed he can get back in the game quickly and help support his team for that last goal or two takeouts.
  • Influence allocation - Shark is greedy when it comes to influence. He typically wants 4+ influence so take your time in the maintenance phase to weigh your options on just how much he needs vs the rest of your team. Shark can run on minimal influence when trying to set him up for a snapshot however. 
  • Abuse your 2" melee. Never enter an opponent's melee zone unless you have to. Keeping at maximum melee range allows Shark to dodge in and out of melee zones to get maximum movement shennanigans. This will help keep Shark safe from counter attacks from models with low result KD's.

Angel - Striker

ANGEL.png

Stats

• Melee Zone: 1"
  • MOV: 6"/8" - Respectable MOV stat for a dedicated striker
  • TAC: 4 - Tac 4 is pretty hard on Angel, especially when her dodges aren't until her 2 success result.
  • KICK: 4/8" - Dedicated Strikers need good kick stats and Angel doesn't dissapoint.
  • DEF: 4+ - Good base defensive stat
  • ARM: 0 - This makes Angel slightly vulnerable if she is not being buffed with other abilities
  • INF: 2/4 - Pretty standard for a small base model

Character Traits

• Light Footed - Lets Angel ignore the rough ground penalty. This is especially helpful when going against models with Foul Odor (Fangtooth, Casket)
  • Tactical Advice [Shark] - Gives Angel [+1/+1] INF if she is within 4" of Shark during the maintenance phase. Getting the extra influence is always a great benefit, however, I almost never put 5 INF on Angel. If I were receiving and really wanted Angel to score I could see allocating her 5 INF, but this displays your intent to your opponent and they will often be able to counter your setup.
  • Defense Support [Salt] - While Salt is within 4" of Angel she gains [+1] DEF. This is a great benefit for Angel, however keeping Salt up the field where Angel wants to be could get Salt taken out.

Character Plays

• Super Shot (Cost 1, S) - Angel gains [+1/+2"] KICK. This is why Angel is scary. She can consistently threat on goal from 18" away with 3 influence. She can also put up Super Shot and park it within 10" of the enemy goal and take snap shots all day long. When you roll 5 dice, 6 with bonus time, the chances of hitting those snap shots becomes much more likely.
  • Nimble (Cost 1, S) - Angel gains [+1] DEF. This is a great play for Angel. DEF 5, is in the range of fairly hard to hit. When you park Salt within 4" of Angel she gets up to DEF 6. This is how Angel stays alive. Whether she is going in for a goal, or prepping for snapshots, Nimble will help to keep her standing and in position for shots on goal.

Playbook

• One Success
    • 1 DMG - Never take this result unless you are trying to finish off a player or trying to kill something with minimal Hit boxes
    • Momentous Tackle - Angel likes to get in and out as quickly as possibly so having a momentous tackle on 1 success ensures that she can reliably get the ball off enemy models. Although it is nice to have, I often find Angel out of position to get to the enemy model with the ball meaning it is hard for her to generate momentum from low results when she is not in position to take the ball.
  • Two Success
    • 2" dodge - This is a great result for Angel. Angel's primary directive is to get the ball to score or to get into position for snapshots. Being able to double dodge out of melee, to jump to another enemy or to take a shot is critical to Angel's role.
    • Momentous 1" push, 1" dodge - This is a great result for Angel, and on a charge is a good choice if you can wrap to take the ball and get out of melee to shoot on goal.
  • Three Success
  • Four Success
    • Momentous 2" dodge - When Angel has the ball this is usually the result that I look for. When she has 3 INF on her she can charge an enemy model, take the double dodge and generate the momentum and have an Influence left over for a shot on goal.

Kick off Strategy

• Angel is a pretty good option to kick off with due to her relatively quick MOV and her excellent kick. She can get the ball to a location that your opponent may not be able to recover it which is what Fish like to have happen. It is also good to get her up the field so that she can capitalize her threat for the next turn. Be careful to not get her too far up the field though as she is an easy target if she doesn't have Salt within 4 and hasn't put up Nimble. I will often kick off with her and park her 4" in front of Salt to get her up to DEF 5 to make it hard to chain grab or lure her.

General thoughts on Angel

• Angel is an all out goal scorer. She wants to be in possession of the ball, be able to get possession of the ball, or get close enough to the enemy goal to be a threat. Unfortunately, scoring goals is her only forte. I find models such as Brisket and Vitriol to be much better players than Angel due to their ability to play different roles than goal scoring. Angel is by no means a bad player though.
  • Consider your INF allocation carefully - I find Angel to be a bit greedy when it comes to influence. She typically wants to put up both of her character plays and have one to shoot on goal or try to hit an enemy to try to dodge out of melee with. The problem with this use of influence is that unless you get a goal from these plays, you are not converting your influence to momentum, and Fish really like to have the initiative.
  • Don't rely on Angel's DEF - Although Angel can get up to DEF 6, do not expect that to keep her alive for very long. Typically a push to pull her away from Salt, or even Taking out the otter will bring her back down to a 5. And once she is KD'd she is down to a 4, 3 if she didn't put up nimble. With no ARM to speak of and only 12 boxes she can go down quick. Try to commit her when you can guarantee that a goal will come of it. 
  • In general I don't play Angel very much. I find Greyscales and Sakana to be efficient goal scoring threats without needing her extra range. I feel that these two models have a bit better survivability then Angel as well. Take the terrain on the pitch and your opponents guild into account before deciding if she should make your roster.

Siren - Winger

SIREN.png

Stats

• Melee Zone: 2"
  • MOV: 7"/9" - Excellent MOV stat for a model that relies on its mobility
  • TAC: 3 - Tac 3 is the lowest non Mascot TAC out there. If payed correctly though, Siren can usually manage.
  • KICK: 3/6" - A good Kick stat and high MOV lets Siren have a respectable goal threat
  • DEF: 4+ - Good base defensive stat
  • ARM: 0 - This makes Siren slightly vulnerable if she is not being buffed with other abilities
  • INF: 2/4 - Pretty standard for a small base model

Character Traits

• Beautiful - [-5"] range to enemy character plays targeting her. This ability usually doesn't come into play as most opponents hear about the ability and typically never will target her. However, this does make her a decent kick off option.
  • Charmed [Male] - This is one of the traits that increases Siren's survivability. DEF 5 means you miss 2/3 of the time.
  • Protected [Kraken] - Siren gains 1 ARM while within 4" of Kraken. This combined with Charmed makes Siren very survivable. Combine this with a Defensive stance and laugh when some one rolls 12 dice on you and gets one success that is negated by your ARM.

Character Plays

• Lure (Cost 2, Rng 8") - Target model makes a jog directly toward Siren. This can be a good ability to reposition the enemy for bouncing off them with goals, getting that last takeout you need, or simply getting someone in range to generate some momentum. Lure is a solid ability, just be wary, that 2 dice doesn't always behave.
  • Seduced (Cost 3/GBGB, Rng 6") - This is why you take Siren. Being able to get the ball of an opponent from 6" away is an amazing ability. Don't believe me? Ask a Mortician player. You can also have an enemy model make an attack instead. While it is great to be able to spend the influence to get the Seduced off, triggering Seduced from the playbook is always a better option if possible. Because of her low TAC you will usually need a charge to make it happen or a lot of gang up bonuses.

Playbook

• One Success
    • Momentous 1" dodge - This helps Siren to disengage and reposition herself for charges or goal opportunities.
  • Two Success
    • 2 DMG - Same as the 1 DMG result. Siren does have the ability to do 4 DMG on a wrap so is sometimes a good finisher model. However, unless you are playing a fighting fish list I would avoid the damage results.
    • 2" dodge - Similar to the momentous result. If you only need the single result, use it to gain the momentum. If you need to get across the pitch, choose this result. 
  • Three Success
    • Tackle - Because this is so high up on her playbook, I tend to not use this since for the same result you could choose to seduce the model and pass it to yourself or another friendly model. However if it is the best option at the time then go for it.
    • Momentous GBGB (Seduced) - Unless Siren is in danger, this result is usually what I will take on 3 successes. If the enemy models has the ball and is in range, simply have them pass it to a friendly model (Including Siren) or have an enemy model attack another enemy model. It is essentially a tackle with the added benefit of gaining another momentum from a successful pass. Be wary of low Kick stat models.

Kick off Strategy

• Siren is a good kick off player since she can move 7" and kick 6". You can essentially blitz by deploying her on one side and kicking to the other. Due to Beautiful she will not typically be pulled in or targeted by enemy character plays. Keep in mind that AOEs do not target her so they still get their full distance. If playing with Kraken I often like to kick off by moving Siren directly in front of Kraken within 4" of him. This way if an enemy model does get to her she will have the extra armor. 

General thoughts on Siren

• Low hit boxes - Siren only has 10 hit boxes full health so although she can be effectively a DEF 5 ARM 1 with Kraken. She still dies quickly if hit. Try to keep her safe until it is her time to shine and don't expect her to stick around much longer after she does her thing. Consider your roster when choosing to take her as well. If you are not bringing Kraken her survivability is greatly reduced.
  • Charge - Siren has a TAC of 3. Lets face it, that is bad. If you want to get work out of her you should really be charging. Ideally you should be charging a model that is KD'd and surrounded by 2 or more friendlies, but that is not always a possibility. Regardless, 3 success is much more likely when you roll 7+ dice as opposed to 3.
  • Fileld position - My go to position for Siren is mid back pitch. With an 11" charge threat, this lets her benefit from the extra ARM from Kraken and be able to threaten both board edges for any Wingers coming up the sides. If she does have to spend influence to use Seduced, this also allows her to reliable get to anyone in most locations on the pitch.
  • Look for goal opportunities - Siren is fast. She also has a decent kick (weird for a Fisherman model to have good kick stats huh?). She often gets ignored since she doesn't do much else besides ball retrieval. Time it right and she can be wide open to score.
  • Check your roster - Siren is great at getting the ball and repositioning enemy models. But check your line up before choosing to take her. Are you bringing Kraken so she can benefit from the extra ARM? Are you bring Corsair who already has great ball retrieval skills? Cunning opponents are keen on Siren's abilities and will often drop the ball rather than hold onto it and give her the chance to take it. Size up your opponent before adding her to your team.

Thanks guys. Hope they are helping new players struggling with Fish. Taking the time to write them is helping my own understanding of the guild as well. :)

Salt - Mascot

SALT.png

Stats

• Melee Zone: 1"
  • MOV: 7"/9" - This is probably Salt's greatest strength. It makes him excellent at ball retrieval
  • TAC: 2 - Fairly average for Season 1 mascots. I've never really had it matter much since I hardly ever make attacks with Salt
  • KICK: 1/4" - This is an average stat for the Season 1 Mascots as well, but I feel that Salt really suffers from it. Because of his mobility he can sometimes be a goal threat, but rolling 1 die (2 with a bonus time) is fairly risky.
  • DEF: 5+ - Really great defensive stat for a mascot. Don't expect it to keep him alive though
  • ARM: 0 - Hes an Otter. Did you really expect any armor?
  • INF: 1/3 - Again, pretty typical for the Season 1 Mascots

Character Traits

• Love Creature - Essentially when Salt is taken out, your whole team get 2 momentum, +2 TAC, and [+2"/+2"] MOV for the remainder of the turn. Now this seems extremely powerful. However, most players that know that Salt has this ability will typically do one of two things. Either Salt will be ignored for pretty much the entire game, or your opponent will try to set it up so that they can take Salt out with their last activation of the turn to reduce the benefits of his loss to your team. When Salt does die early on, this can really increase the output of the Fisherman. Remember, Loved Creature does not go into effect from Salt being taken out as a result from conditions.

Character Plays

• Where'd They Go? (Cost 1/GB, S) - This lets Salt make a 4" dodge. Combine this dodge with his 7"/9" MOV and he can really get across the board. This does mean you will need to assign 2 INF to Salt to pay for WTG or hit an enemy and get a lucky result from the playbook, and one to sprint. Remember this can only be used once per turn.

Playbook

• One Success
    • 1 DMG - Never use unless something has 1 hit box left and Salt can get the job done. (He usually can't with TAC 2...)
    • Momentous 1" dodge - If you don't get 2 successes then this is your result. Try to dodge out of melee and run away from things that kill Salt.
  • Two Success
    • Tackle - If you need the ball this is a good option. Salt can be effective at getting the ball off enemy models with a charge and potentially wrapping to get a WTG off as well to get him disengaged. This would involve giving Salt at least 2 Influence tho...
    • Momentous GB (WTG) - If you are hitting an enemy model with Salt this is probably the result you are Fishing for (See what I did there?). Getting the 4" dodge off of the hit will generate a momentum as opposed to just paying the 1 INF to WTG. Typically I would just pay for the WTG as getting 2 successes with TAC 2 typically doesn't work out.

Kick off Strategy

• I would not suggest kicking off with Salt. Moving him to far up the board gives your opponent the opportunity to lure of pull him over to their side of the pitch and take him out at their leisure. If you lose Salt you will be down an activation which is never a good thing in Guild Ball. If you are running Angel and REALLY want to kick off with Salt, I would suggest putting Salt up the field near where you plan to have Angel be at the end of her activation. Then try to kick the ball far away from Salt. This way the ball won't be close enough for someone to retrieve it and the engage Salt for future Gang up bonuses, and he will be in position to provide Angel with the extra DEF buff when she gets into position.

General thoughts on Salt

• Influence allocation - I typically don't assign Salt any influence. with his low TAC and the number of models that have 1 ARM the best I usually hope to get out of him is 1 success. Typically that influence is better assigned elsewhere. If you need Salt to get out of a tight spot of go get the ball you can assign him one or two which will let him WTG out of harms way and the jog or sprint for 11-13" of total movement. This will help keep Salt alive, but it won't do much for your INF to Momentum ratio.
  • Angel's Buddy - When running Angel I try to keep Salt within 4" of her whenever possible to provide the defensive bonus. Typically I run Angel to one side of the board and let salt stay to the outside of Angel closer to the board edge. By doing this you can keep Salt relatively safe while providing Angel with a much needed buff. 
  • When not running Angel - Many people use Salt as a goalie of sorts. Park him in front of your goal base to base and shift him around the goal to get in the way of enemy models looking to shoot on goal. I find that Salt is usually never in the right position to hamper an enemy model's shot so I tend not to use him this way. When running Slat without Angel I like to place him roughly on the deployment line pretty much centered on the pitch. Try to predict which way your opponent will move the ball up the pitch and shift Salt towards that side 3-4". Now things have to be set up right for this to work and there is a lot of guess work, but if you plan it right you can give Salt 2-3 Influence the turn you might be worried about a goal threat. If the model with the ball is in range of Salt, he can threat 10" on the charge. With 3 successes Salt can tackle the ball and dodge 1". With 4 successes he can tackle the ball and take the momentous WTG. This can potentially break an opponents goal opportunity and make Salt look like the stud he always wished he was.
  • The truth - Salt is probably one of the least useful mascots in the game. Lots of people probably have instances where he will shine, but when compared to other season one mascots like Coin, Scum, Marbles, etc.. he just doesn't provide the same benefits to the team. He is arguably less survivable then Tentacles as well when you compare DEF 5 / ARM 0 to DEF 4 / ARM 1. When playing a pure goal scoring team I tend to take Salt, or if I plan on playing Angel Salt may make my roster. Much of the other times however I will choose Tentacles.

Really like the player run downs. One thing I will say about Salt (and I know you say lots of people have instances where he shines and yes he isn't phenomenal) If I am running Jac on first turn I will give salt 1 INF and I will use Jac to "Get over here" to get Salt very far forward up a wing on turn 1 by using "Where'd they go" as opposed to sprinting which should get him nearly to the opponents deployment line. Turn two he will move over to hang out directly behind the opponents goal. That way he is hard to draw line of sight to (and can keep running around the goal if someone does come back to deal with him). He will then hang out to mop up if I miss a shot and if my opponent does drop a player back to deal with him it's one less that is trying to kill me or score.

As for Siren, also a great team up with Jac to pull people way out of position and put them in range of the board edges for a push out and not a bad ball carrier against Morticians as Puppet Master is only range 3" when targeting her due to beautiful (also completely negates gutters chain grab)

1 hour ago, Sidious Mike said:

Really like the player run downs. One thing I will say about Salt (and I know you say lots of people have instances where he shines and yes he isn't phenomenal) If I am running Jac on first turn I will give salt 1 INF and I will use Jac to "Get over here" to get Salt very far forward up a wing on turn 1 by using "Where'd they go" as opposed to sprinting which should get him nearly to the opponents deployment line. Turn two he will move over to hang out directly behind the opponents goal. That way he is hard to draw line of sight to (and can keep running around the goal if someone does come back to deal with him). He will then hang out to mop up if I miss a shot and if my opponent does drop a player back to deal with him it's one less that is trying to kill me or score.

As for Siren, also a great team up with Jac to pull people way out of position and put them in range of the board edges for a push out and not a bad ball carrier against Morticians as Puppet Master is only range 3" when targeting her due to beautiful (also completely negates gutters chain grab)

Running Salt around your opponent's goal sounds hilarious I have to say. Jac definitely has a decent synergy with Salt which I will cover when I get to Jac, which should be pretty soon. I can see the benefit of Salt being there to "clean up" missed goal shots, but I have missed every goal I have shot with Salt (every one bonus timed). I know 4s are doable on 2 dice, Salt just doesn't like me I guess. So maybe I am slightly biased towards him. I think if I were to try this strategy I might use him to feed the ball back out to more consistent goal scorers unless I was in a bind and had to go for the goal with Salt. I would still be a bit wary getting Salt that far up the pitch as I still think he could be an easy kill for your opponent.

I definitely agree that Siren works well in a "push off the pitch" strategy. I will probably talk about that a bit when I get to Jac and Corsair.

9 hours ago, Clocktopus said:

At some point I want to take Corsair and Salt, use the Legendary and make a snap shot with Salt.

I've done this and it's glorious

Very well done!

If you ever decide to do this with the other factions, maybe try to post more replies to "reserve" them at the top.

Actually, is it possible to link specific forum posts on these forums?

1 hour ago, the_aY said:

Very well done!

If you ever decide to do this with the other factions, maybe try to post more replies to "reserve" them at the top.

Actually, is it possible to link specific forum posts on these forums?

I tried adding "reserved" replies for the other players. It kept adding my replies to my original comment... :/

While these forums aren't the worst that I've been on, they definitely do not have all the capabilities as some of the better forums

Oh yeah, I think you have to lag the posts. Don't know how much time. But it is possible to eventually double post. :P 

I know, not the idea solution.

Kraken - Centre Back

KRAKEN.png

Stats

• Base Size: 40mm
  • Melee Zone: 2" - 2 is always better than 1 right?
  • MOV: 4"/6" - Typical big slow guy stats
  • TAC: 5 - Fairly Average for his position. He's not meant to be a Mankiller after all 
  • KICK: 1/6" - At least he has 6" range on the kick right?
  • DEF: 2+ - Worst defensive stat in the game... 
  • ARM: 1 - Helps Kraken a little, but isn't really enough to matter
  • INF: 1/3 - He brings 1 and usually wants 2 or more... Definitely not the most INF efficient player on the Fish team

Character Traits

• Tough Hide - This helps keep Kraken around for a while. This and 20 hit boxes. While it is possible to one round Kraken, it takes a lot of setup and lots of dice.

Character Plays

• Harpoon (Cost 2/GB, RNG 6") - Pushes an enemy directly towards Kraken up to 6". Use this play to pull in an enemy model to beat them up, pull in a Striker looking to go for goal. Repositions are game changing and this one is one for your opponents to be worried about. Once you are in Kraken's melee zone it is quite annoying to try to get out. Don't forget that this play goes off on 3 successes so you could potentially hit a model to knock them down, walk to the other side of that model, hit them again and then pull in another high defense model that is 6" away. Great fun!
  • Release the... (Cost GBGB, P) - Push a model 6" directly away, knock them down, and do 3 damage. Yes please! This play is amazing when Kraken can get it off. Typically it will only trigger on a charge, but that is often one of the best times to use it. If an enemy model is within 6" of a board edge, Kraken can charge the model, trigger "Release the..." and push them off the pitch. One of your players getting ganged up too much "Release" them out of melee and put them on their ass at the same time.

Playbook

• One Success
    • 1 DMG - Kraken is one of the exceptions when it comes to dealing damage. This result may be selected, unless the enemy model is not knocked down.
    • Momentous KD - Momentous KD on one success? This is amazing and is almost always the result that you should be choosing if able.
  • Two Success
    • 2 DMG - If you have already KD'd the model and have nothing better to do this is an ok option.
  • Three Success
    • Tackle - I'm not sure why you would ever select the Tackle result with Kraken unless you were very worried about where the scatter is going. He can tackle the ball, then KD the enemy, and if he is no longer engaged drop the ball next to a teammate so that they can pick it up. I wouldn't rely on his [1/6"] kick for passes though. Usually I will just KD a model with the ball and let it scatter.
    • Momentous GB - Harpoon. I touched on it above, but this is great for pulling high defense models into the fray. Hit an enemy model you are engaged with and harpoon another model within 6" into Kraken's melee then hit them to KD them on one success. Laugh when Kraken is engaging 3+ models that are all KD'd. Laugh harder when the all have 1" melee and Kraken has 2"...
  • Four Success
    • 3 DMG - Again. Kraken is one of the Fish's best option for dealing damage. If you think you can take a player out this is not a bad option.
  • Five Success
    • Momentous GBGB - "Release the..." I fish for this result whenever I can. Not only is it 3 DMG, a 6" push, and KD, but it is also momentous. If you get 5 success you better be choosing this result.

Kick off Strategy

• Kraken is SLOW... So kicking off with him seems like a good option to get up the field so that he can harpoon someone in turn 1. While against some teams this might be an ok option, be cautious of using him to kick off. Mist, Vitriol, and other teams have buffs that will let them score 1st or second activation when you have a low DEF low ARM model sitting that far up the pitch to generate momentum off of. I have had this happen to me and I wasn't even able to kill Mist in retaliation. It is sad. don't let it happen to you.

General thoughts on Kraken

• Tough Hide - Tough hide keeps Kraken alive and it also gives him the opportunity to hinder an opponents damage dealers. While high Defense targets tend to be the ideal target to pull into Kraken's melee, sometimes pulling in a damage dealer can be just as beneficial. Boar and Rage are two models that are especially good ones to pull in. By putting these models in your melee zone, you can effectively negate 2 attacks from each model since the won't be able to charge while engaged. Kraken's low DEF will mean that they will likely get lots of success against him, but without support they typically won't do more than 8 points per turn. Have Kraken knock them down, heal himself back up and use their low Defense to pull in Strikers and more valuable targets. Be careful. Although tough hide keeps you alive longer, the appropriate damage dealer will kill Kraken in no time.
  • Positioning - Due to Kraken's low DEF and ARM he really likes to play on his own side of the pitch. Venturing to more than 4" in front of the goal line could see Kraken become a momentum bot for the enemy team. Keep him back and try to pull in one model at a time that Kraken can either do dmg too or keep occupied while the rest of your team does Fish things.
  • Non momentous damage dealer - Fisherman suffer from this because of their unparalleled scoring potential. When you do intend to take an enemy model out of the game it is often a lot of INF investment for not much Momentum reward. Because of this it is critical that if you intend to take out an enemy model you get it done as quickly as possible. Only doing a few points of DMG over the course of a turn is typically worthless since one momentum and the enemy model can heal 4 points back. When deciding to use Kraken to take out an enemy model, consider the enemy model's stat line, your gang up bonuses, and what models you have available to clean up in case Kraken fails. With a little help Kraken can reliably do 9 points of DMG with 3 influence and with a lot of help he can potentially do 15+ points. Weight the benefit of a takeout over the loss of momentum before going in on an enemy model.
  • Kraken with Corsair - I haven't really talked about playing models with specific captains, but I feel like it is worth mentioning how Kraken can run with Corsair since he plays a slightly different role than he would with Shark. When running Corsair and Kraken together I am typically looking to kill as many enemy models as possible. This involve getting as many gang up bonuses as possible, using Kraken to reel in an enemy model and knock it down, and then letting Corsair unload into a knocked down ganged up model. With this tactic you can reliably get a take out a turn and generate 6+ momentum. When running Kraken with Shark I try not to put to many friendly models around Kraken as he can be used to auto hit character plays on other friendly models. 

Jac - Defensive Midfielder

JAC.png

Stats

• Melee Zone: 2" - Standard Fisherman Awesomeness
  • MOV: 5"/8" - Pretty good movement stat. A bit slow on the jog, but still faster than many other players
  • TAC: 5 - Good TAC stat for a non captain player
  • KICK: 3/6" - He's a Fish. He knows how to kick a ball.
  • DEF: 3+ - A bit on the low side of the defense curve
  • ARM: 1 - Decent ARM stat for a non Captain model
  • INF: 2/4 - Standard player INF stat.

Character Traits

• Resolute - Jac gets +2 TAC when making counter attacks. This is an interesting ability for Jac to have. Thanks to his low DEF he will probably get the opportunity to make plenty of counter attacks. With a low push result and a KD to threaten enemies with this can help keep Jac alive and out of melee.
  • Get Over Here! [Salt] - While within 10"of Salt, Salt can dodge up to his base move. This ability is great for getting those gang up bonuses and getting Salt further up the field. Just remember that Salt is squishy and doesn't necessarily want to be engaged. 
  • Tough Hide - This a big part of why you take Jac. Tough Hide with 15 hit boxes and 2" melee zone means Jac can tank in the middle of the pitch keeping focus off your goal scorers or and or passing the ball out to wingers.

Heroic Play

• Trident Tested - Enemy models within 3" of Jac suffer a 4" push directly away. This is a really useful Heroic play for Jac. Enemy models ganging up on your team? Push them all out of melee. Enemy model close to the board edge? Push them off the pitch. Breaking up scrums is Jac's specialty, and this lets him get the job done.

Character Plays

• Ramming Speed (Cost 1, S) - When Jac moves base to base with an enemy model during his advance, that model suffers a 2" push directly away. This play further enables Jac to break up scrums and reposition the enemy. Combine this with Trident Tested to get 6" of "free" pushes on enemy models. This can be extremely useful for pushing enemies off the pitch into the eager arms of the crowd.
  • Goad (Cost 1, RNG 6") - Target enemy model may only move directly towards Jac during its advance. This play can be extremely useful when it hits. Target a loaded up model and then sprint out of threat range. Target a goal scorer to prevent them from advancing towards the goal. Just remember, 1 die plays are a gamble against higher defense enemies.

Playbook

• One Success
    • Tackle - having a tackle on 1 result is great. Especially for a model that plays in the middle and can quickly get to either side of the pitch.
    • 1 DMG - Not much to see here. Tac is one of the somewhat decent damage dealers on the Fisherman team, so if you are looking to take out an enemy this isn't the worst result you could choose.
  • Two Success
    • Momentous 1" push - Jac likes to reposition the enemy. This plays to that strength. Use this to reposition enemies into gang up bonuses, pull them out of cover, or get them out of charge or scoring lanes. This is Jac's earliest momentous result so if you are going for the momentum race, this is your choice.
  • Three Success
  • Four Success
    • 3 DMG - See the 2 DMG result...
    • Momentous KD - This is usually the go to result if Jac can select it. 2" melee zones and knock downs are best friends. This also ensures that Jac is not easily escaped from. 
  • Five Success
    • Momentous 2" push - Again, Jac likes to push people around. Some might call him a bully. He did used to be a Butcher after all. This further enables Jac's "push off the board" strategy. As well as helps him get those enemy models where he wants them. Gaining the momentum is not bad either. 
    • Momentous 2" push and Tackle - This is the ultimate result for ball retrieval. Have Jac charge charge an enemy, take the ball, and push the model out of melee. This effectively negates counter attacks and allows Jac to easily make passes or shots on goal un-hindered.

Kick off Strategy

• Tac is typically not my go to kicker, but getting him up the pitch early on still does have some benefits. Kick off with Jac so that you can quickly get up the field to Goad an important model, or position him for maximum effectiveness. Be careful where you place him though since his low defense can enable quick goals from your opponent.

General thoughts on Jac

• Pushing off the Pitch - This is the dream for Jac. If an enemy model is within 6" of a board edge, Jac can take them out of the game without ever attacking them. Simply put up ramming speed then heroic them off the board. If you have extra influence, you can always hit the enemy once or twice for even more momentous pushes. If everything works perfectly, Jac can potentially push someone 10" without wraps. While this strategy seems appealing, it is not very easy to set up. And typically your opponent is wise to this tactic so consider your roster and how your are planning to play your team when considering to do this. Remember that if Jac is off to one side of the pitch then he is not tanking in the middle. 
  • Non Momentous Damage - Again we have another player who is capable of doing some decent damage, but has no momentous damage results. In my opinion this really brings Jac's effectiveness down. Jac often seems like the best player to get one of those 2 takeouts so often desire. The problem is that without generating any momentum, it makes it difficult to justify going for it. Consider the board state and your opponents un-activated players before committing to dealing damage with Jac.
  • Usefulness - I find Jac to be a bit of a conundrum for me. On paper he seems great. In practice I find that he just doesn't work very well. I find that someone like Avarice and Greede are a bit more effective at tanking and have better playbook results to boot. I know he has the capability to shine. I just haven't unlocked his potential personally yet.

I am in full agreement with Jac. I wanted to like the model but he never quite seemed to gel for me. Only once I committed to playing him in a league with Corsair and playing him a lot did I start getting work out of him, still he tends to be a little hit and miss. If he works he is incredible, great for keeping butchers or brewers from getting the ganged up synergies they love in the middle of the pitch. When he doesn't work he flails ineffectually at high def models trying desperately to get momentum and doing not much else, if he's engaged then generating two hits off a high def model can be somewhat difficult and he can end up getting completely bogged down. I will say that as a ball carrier he isn't bad. TAC 7 on the counter attack and only needing one success to take the ball back is pretty decent.

I'm a huge Jac fanboy; him and Sakana are a permanent fixture in my Fishermen list. I focus a lot more on his character and heroic plays and less on his playbook and use him to isolate enemy captains, deal with high def targets, open up scoring lanes, provide gang up bonuses and redirect aggression. His ability to operate on only one or two influence and a momentum on an influence hungry team is also pretty nice.

54 minutes ago, Makai said:

I'm a huge Jac fanboy; him and Sakana are a permanent fixture in my Fishermen list. I focus a lot more on his character and heroic plays and less on his playbook and use him to isolate enemy captains, deal with high def targets, open up scoring lanes, provide gang up bonuses and redirect aggression. His ability to operate on only one or two influence and a momentum on an influence hungry team is also pretty nice.

Do you find you miss with Goad a lot? 1 Die to hit DEF 4+ is typically fairly risky. Or maybe you just put up ramming speed and run them out of position and then Heroic to get them even further out. The problem I have with that is there are a lot of Captains that have the movement shenanigans to not really care where you put them on the board And Jac requires a momentum in order to use his Heroic, but doesn't generate one until 2 successes on the playbook. With a TAC of 5 this means that Jac isn't very likely to generate a momentum on his own against a standard DEF 4, ARM 1 enemy model.

I am interested to hear more about how you are getting work out of Jac. I'd love to hear a couple of scenarios where he has shined for you.

For 3+ def characters like Tapper, Honour or Blackheart I might just roll the single die, anything higher than that and Bonus Time might be a good idea. I agree that trying to generate momentum with his base TAC of 5 on his own is usually a bad idea and has bit me in the past. Since I've started playing him more towards the center or as a flanker, he usually ends up getting and providing gang up bonuses though. Nevertheless, If I'm going for Ramming/Trident I might try to activate him second or third so I can use the momentum generated by some of my other more reliable momentum generators.

In a game I player earlier this week he was able to Goad a Superior Strategied Flint to prevent a turn one goal, and later in the same game shove Honour against an Obstruction where she got pinned between a Fangtooth and a Sakana. Fangtooth eventually died and Sakana barely squeaked out alive but it bought me enough time to score a couple of goals.

In previous occasions I've been able to use him to keep Tapper and Ox with their auras away from the rest of their teams, shove a Super Shotted Mash out of Snap Shot range, push a barrier of Ghast + Casket away to open up a goal path.

Granted some games he might just sit on his ass and do nothing, and you really need to pay close attention to your angles lest you end up having one of your own characters blocking a perfect push, but for my play style I feel much more confident bringing him to the field than someone like Siren who needs 3-4 Inf to really feel threatening and dies much easier to a little aggression.

I have only used goad once when I saw no other way to stop a player scooping up the ball and heading towards goal. It was against Def 3 and hit but I am not a fan of it. I usually play him with Corsair and will keep him around to gang up bonus and deal a little damage in combat at the extreme of his 2" range leaving a nice open wing next to him in the hopes my opponent will try to sneak someone by. Caught more than a few players that try to run through the gap and in keeping away from Corsairs harpoons end up running close to the table edge. If Jac isn't engaged I will sprint him out of combat and ramming speed/heroic for a "ring out!".

Generally I find the same as Makai. He is usually a low Inf investment and as long as my team can generate a momentum for him, still get some work done. Striker is engaged? Walk Jac over and get a 4" push to free them up. Someone is a little too close to an edge? happy days. Teamed up with Siren? Find an activated player and Lure and then bring in Jac to really get them singled out from the rest of their support or put them off the pitch. If he keeps Salt nearby he can use "Get over here" for a crowding bonus on his turn.

If you're ganged up on and Jac is nearby, I know my player is about to get charged by a third player (usually butchers or brewers) Jac can shove them out of melee range and now if they charge odds are good that they're now at -1 dice.

Greyscales - Winger

GREYSCALES.png

Stats

• Melee Zone: 2" - Lets face it. He's a Fisherman. 2" melee is kinda their thing
  • MOV: 5"/7" - Definitely one of the slower small based models available to fish. Grezscales manages with it though
  • TAC: 5 - Pretty average non captain TAC
  • KICK: 3/6" - Kicking is also a Fisherman thing. Greyscales knows how to do it.
  • DEF: 4+ - Decent defensive stat
  • ARM: 0 - This is a bummer for Greyscales as it can make him go down quickly. He has some other defensive tech to help him get by though.
  • INF: 2/4 - Standard non captain influence

Character Traits

• Unpredictable Movement - This is what keeps Greyscales alive. Once per turn he can make a 2" dodge when an enemy model ends its advance within his melee zone. Yep anywhere within his 2" melee zone. Try to time when to use this until you really need it. Don't waste it when the damage buffing model comes into Greyscales when you could save it for when the damage dealer comes after him. Don't forget that he can use this ability even whilst KD'd.

Character Plays

• Decoy (Cost 1, S) - Gain an additional 2 Defense for the next enemy attack made against Greyscales. This is a really great ability for Greyscales, Although I find myself not using it all that often. Put it up if Greyscales can't get out of a sticky situation and/or has already used unpredictable.
  • Where'd They Go? (Cost 1/GB, S) - WTG is what makes Greyscales the man. Stuck in combat? WTG out of there. Need to shoot a goal? WTG to get in range. Need to charge someone but not quite in range? WTG into charge range. This ability is extremely powerful and Greyscales definitely enjoys having it.
  • Ball's Gone (Cost GBGB, P) - The enemy model is tackled, and the ball marker can be placed on a friendly model within 4" (including Greyscales). This ability can be extremely powerful, but I find tat I don't end up using it that often since it is triggered on 4 successes on the playbook. In order to get it Greyscales typically needs to charge. Remember that Ball's Gone ignores close control so it is a good way to get around it.

Playbook

• One Success
    • Momentous 1" dodge - This is a typical Fisherman playbook result and will usually be what Greyscales will select when generating momentum
  • Two Success
    • 2" dodge - Greyscales likes to move around the board to get possession of the ball and shoot goals in from he wings. A low double dodge drastically helps him to achieve his movement shennanigans. 
    • Tackle - Greyscales is a ball retriever and goal scorer. He needs to be able to get the ball.
  • Three Success
    • Momentous GB - WTG. Remember Greyscales can only use this once per turn so if he has already paid for it go for the single momentous dodge.
  • Four Success
    • Momentous GBGB - Ball's Gone. This result is only relevant if the enemy model has the ball, and typically Greyscales is then who will want the ball once he has tackled it. If you need to get the ball off the enemy then this result is momentous.
  • Five Success
    • Momentous 1" push, 1" dodge - A 1" dodge with a 1" push that is momentous? Whats not to like? Its on the 5th result. Thats what I don't like about it... :( More momentous repositions keep Greyscales mobile and relevant. Being so high up the playbook makes it tough to get this result, but If you do get it it should most likely be what you take unless you need a Balls Gone or WTG.

Kick off Strategy

• Greyscales has a fairly predictable kick off threat. With a base move of 5" and a kick of 6" he is not likely to put the ball somewhere your opponent won't expect. He does however like to get up the pitch quickly, so kicking off with him does help him advance up the pitch. One strategy I like to use when kicking off with Greyscales is to reply within 8-10" of a board edge. Have him make a full advance and kick the ball towards the board edge just over the halfway line. If you can get a good scatter, one of two outcomes is the result you are looking for. The 1st result is that your opponent will not be able to get to the ball and Gresycales will be able to go pick it up and kick it back to your team. Or an enemy model will be able to go pick up the ball but not be in range to kick it back to his team. This way Gresycales can go get the ball off of that model once they have picked it up.

General thoughts on Greyscales

• Role in the team - For me, Greyscales is primarily a goal scorer. With a 17" goal threat and pushes on his playbook, he can easily get goals from way down town. His second role, and perhaps more useful role is being annoying for your opponent. With Unpredictable movement, WTG, and a good goal threat range, Opponents know that they can not just ignore Greyscales. This means that someone will have to go deal with him less he be an ongoing threat on goal the entire game.
  • Unpredictable Movement - I mentioned this a bit above, but I wanted to clarify when to use this. Opponents know Greyscales has this ability so if they plan on taking him out of the game they will be looking for ways to make you waste this trait on a non threat to him. Consider the model coming after Greyscales. Can they do enough damage to kill him? Do they have 2" melee? Is there other enemy models set up to finish Greyscales off? Is Greyscales getting surrounded to the point of not being able to dodge out of out of the fray? These are all things to consider before deciding whether or not to dodge.
  • Goal threat - I like to set up Greyscales for goals because of his defensive tech. (Unpredictable, Decoy). I also like to use him for goals because he is able to get in an out of melee with ease and can generate momentum on a single result. If he is engaged simply WTG then sprint towards the goal. If he is not engaged, sprint, then WTG. Maybe get in melee and take a few swings with him before shooting. If you really need an extra couple inches hit someone once or twice for single or double dodges. This is why Greyscales is always a threat for your opponent and why the will typically be looking to nullify his effectiveness.
  • Let him die - Greyscales has some great defensive tech. (Decoy, WTG, Unpredictable), but he will eventually get cornered. Usually at a big investment on your opponent's half :) . Don't be afraid to let Greyscales get taken out if you can get a goal or takeout while he is keeping your opponent busy. With WTG and a sprint he can get back in the game quickly, and can stay safe from any 1" melee zone models as well. If you have to choose between healing Greyscales for 2 momentum to keep him alive or winning the momentum race to score a goal next turn, it might be worth it to let him get taken out. Consider the game state and your opponent's investment to kill Greyscales before deciding to keep him alive or not.

Just a note, Balls Gone does not ignore close control as far as I know because it is reads Tackle the target enemy model. Corsairs "Rough Seas" gets around it because it doesn't read tackle, just target enemy model loses the ball.

3 hours ago, Sidious Mike said:

Just a note, Balls Gone does not ignore close control as far as I know because it is reads Tackle the target enemy model. Corsairs "Rough Seas" gets around it because it doesn't read tackle, just target enemy model loses the ball.

Close Control says "Tackle Playbook result", not Tackle, so Ball's Gone does in fact ignore it. Contrast with Sturdy which ignores the first KD, no matter the source.