the_aY

Guildball on Table Top Simulator

Hello all,

I will post this in the main forum, but it's kind of vassal related (since it's about PC people playing this great game online with others).

Recently, I picked up Tabletop Simulator on Steam and I saw that users Manborg and rocketjuice created a Guild Ball mod in the game.

It uses all the paper cut-outs provided by Steam Forged, and the module is incredibly usable, and convenient.

I just wanted to post this up as a PSA for those who have Tabletop Simulator, or those who didn't know about such a program.

It's very worth it, it's a lot prettier than Vassal, and you can play countless other games on that program.

That is all. Thanks!

I'm in the process of playing my second game on this program. It actually works functionally very well!

The most important part is, you can save the game, so if you and your buddy only have like 30 minutes each session, you can save and then restart next time you are available. Or even play multiple games at once! :o

Only thing that is missing, is when a player picks up a model and moves it with the measurement tool, the number of inches isn't shown to your opponent. My friend and I trust each other, so it's all good. For playing against people you don't trust (harsh!), either that needs to be patched or a measurement stick that can be placed on the pitch needs to be added in the game.

8 hours ago, TanE said:

Wow! Could you tell me more about the guildball mod? Where and how-to? That would be nice!

Well, if you have Tabletop Simulator (i bought mine on sale for $10 CDN) on Steam, you just go to the WORKSHOP section to see people's custom mods. They are all free, and they are made by the community. You literally just click "subscribe" to the mod, and then it will download automatically.

-As far as use itself, it has the main Guildball table, with score counters, momentum counters, Influence counters and decks of Season 1 and 2 Plot cards, along with AOE markers and such.

-There are two side tables that has all the paperdolls on bases, dice, life counter dice, character cards, etc.

-Each model has a button that has a "1" and "2" on their base. This will put a ring out that shows 1" and 2" melee zones for that model, so it takes that guesswork out.

-The ONLY issue that may exist, and it can be corrected in the future by adding in a measurement widget, is that when you pick up the model, and do the movement measurements, your opponent can't see the number of inches that you are currently moving (though, you can). So, basically when it comes to the movement, the biggest part of the game that could be contentious, you have to play on the honour system. I play with my best friend anyway, so I assume neither of us are going to cheat, but you can't really play competitively until they add in measurement widgets that you can lay on the ground, or if the game can be programmed to show your opponent the number of inches you are currently moving the model.

Not sure if you have other questions. Feel free to ask. :)

I just added you, also just bought Tabletop Simulator but having issues getting the game to work. Loads funny and also not all textures seem to be loaded etc... Hope you can help and we can play against eachother

41 minutes ago, Private said:

I just added you, also just bought Tabletop Simulator but having issues getting the game to work. Loads funny and also not all textures seem to be loaded etc... Hope you can help and we can play against eachother

i had the same issue. i fixed it by clicking on the undo button on the top left, making it reload then clicking redo and the textures started popping up. 

You might also have a issue with items in the middle of the table falling through the board over and over again. i fixed most of it the same way i did with the textures. Anything else i just deleted from the game.

I'm going to be honest, with the GB mod, I've had only a few issues, but they only happen when I load up the mod, and I found that by just quitting and reloading the mod, everything was fine. 

It's also helpful if you can get a buddy to buy TTS. In fact, in Canada (so I assume other places too), it's on sale right now!

My friend Dust and I play reasonably regularly whenever we can't meet in person to play.

19 hours ago, byronthebear said:

i had the same issue. i fixed it by clicking on the undo button on the top left, making it reload then clicking redo and the textures started popping up. 

You might also have a issue with items in the middle of the table falling through the board over and over again. i fixed most of it the same way i did with the textures. Anything else i just deleted from the game.

Yeah indeed in the end it started working but like you said the items falling in the middle was also annoying. I still need to get the hang of the basics so it is hard to work with the simulator. If anyone wants please just add me to Steam, I can always play after 22h GMT+1. Steam-id: lord_augustus 

I had a game on this the other night with Kojiro:

Some feed back for the mod creator:

-Having HP dials on the bases would be really useful

-Having native terrain would be great, something like 2d placeable terrain pieces.  

-Also an aura function where you can quickly tell the relevance of things like commanding etc.

Thanks and otherwise it was a great experience.  Having the near tactile sensation of watching the dice bounce around was great.  Also picking up a bucket of dice rather than the disconnect of just having the system filter results.  

It was a lot of fun :).