Commander Vimes

Thoughts on Scalpel after playtime?

It's possible do drop silence as you have 2 players bringing the max influence they can have. Only issue then is that mist wants more than 2 and Graves really wants 2 as well. As much as I hate to say it maybe drop Graves. Scapal is perfectly adequate at getting the ball back, which for me is usually Graves role. Maybe worth dropping Ghast in as his early KD is great for freeing up engaged furious players.

Ghast would definitely be useful here, and I'm sure he'll end up in that line up, thing is he's been a crutch for a while now and I'm trying to shake things up a bit.

For me, Graves runs to the other side of the pitch to punish the returning models. Never noticed until just now he had a tackle on one. I'm clearly suffering playbook colour blindness, because that's really very handy.

26 minutes ago, CurlyPaul said:

For me, Graves runs to the other side of the pitch to punish the returning models. Never noticed until just now he had a tackle on one. I'm clearly suffering playbook colour blindness, because that's really very handy.

This is how I was using him when he was in my line up and it worked pretty well. Having 2 inch melee with that T on 1 success is just really useful

On 23 August 2016 at 7:39 AM, LeadDiceandBeers said:

I use Bonesaw in the Scalpel Furious line up as a goal threat but also using Unexpected Arrival to unengage the Furious players.

Scalpel, Dirge, Bonesaw, Minx, Rage, Cosset has been working quite well.

I did not see that one coming! 12 INF ! + 3 free charges:o

I enjoy using graves with a singular influence and in a threatening position, he can kick when he needs to and then when you need the charge you slap 2-3 on him. He's nice for charging an isolated target, i really wish he was a 2/2 furious since I tend to put him and Minx into the same-ish character style.

Got 2 games in with Scalpel this weekend, both sans Silence..

Scalpel

Dirge

Cosset

Rage

Graves

Bonesaw!!

Bonesaw was included thanks to @LeadDiceandBeers suggestion above.. and it's the most use I've ever got from him. Despite playing several games with him in the past I've never found his plays usable in a match until now.

Game 1 was against Ox. Chose to kick with Scalpel, who stole the ball back and dragged Boiler over the line to be killed. She could have scored if I'd measured things a bit more carefully. Bonesaw did his job of keeping the Furious guys clear to charge, and Scalpel shuffled their inf around but ultimately I got caught in a fight in the middle and Ox won 12-2.

Next game was against Midas. Kicked with Scalpel again, and again stole the ball right back. No chance to score here though as Compound was in the way if the goal. Bonesaw got the ball and finally got to use Football Dervish on a counter attack. He was just out of goal threat but still managed to clear the ball to keep possession. 

Midas stole Concussion so both teams had inf disruption tricks (he had Naja, and Hypnosis caused me problems too).

This was a really good game, Scalpel bought it home by killing Compound and scoring in the last activation but it could have been anybodies.

Conclusion: Scalpels mp generation is off the chart, and her ability to move Keepers is brilliant. Plus.. Bonesaw!!

2 hours ago, LeadDiceandBeers said:

\o/ success!

Bones is useful I just rarely use him as a striker. Had a few game the other day where he went striker hunting and just kept pushing them off the board. 

I think that was the difference, my own change in mentality. Rather than playing him as a full on balls out striker, I played him as a tool box that could easily threaten a late game goal. His herioc made it very easy to get out of the way when needed, and his size made him hard for the opponent to get round. 

The wonderful things that happen when you abandon your crutches and field a load of the usual bench warmers!

@CurlyPaul absolutely dude drop the crutches and try something new. I am really liking seeing more lists without silence in. That's proper refreshing that is:-)! I had every intention in the world of running the following yesterday... 

Scapal 

Dirge 

B saw

Rage 

Casket 

Cosset 

..... However I dropped my crutch of Tapper and ended up having way to much fun with Broon Hilda!! O well maybe next time. 

Yeah I wanted to prove the Morts could work without him, and they did.  Its a very different game to my Obulus led Morts, with no hard control options. 

I like the look of your line up, I couldn't find too much inf to give Graves, so Casket might be a workable swap as his stench is free and gives me more control options. I can see Scalpel pushing people into his aura, ready for the unneffected Rage to do his thing.

I also had a very enjoyable with Esters, very refreshing and thought provoking that was.

1 hour ago, CurlyPaul said:

Yeah I wanted to prove the Morts could work without him, and they did.  Its a very different game to my Obulus led Morts, with no hard control options. 

I like the look of your line up, I couldn't find too much inf to give Graves, so Casket might be a workable swap as his stench is free and gives me more control options. I can see Scalpel pushing people into his aura, ready for the unneffected Rage to do his thing.

I also had a very enjoyable with Esters, very refreshing and thought provoking that was.

That's actually interesting, I played three games today, in which I had no use for silence. I will try that too. With three Models that don't use Inf for charging. :D Will post about it.

44 minutes ago, The Old Buzzard said:

Curly Paul. Have you considered Ghast instead of Graves in your line up? (Not against Midas!)

The unmasking is more painful pushing:rolleyes:

Bill

I was literally just thinking about that this very second. The only snag is that the damage would also be on my own guys as well, and I'd have to be careful with Cosset.

However he does also bring Fear and Anger, which cost me nothing. Got to be worth a try I reckon ;)

@Cole - excellent, and please do report back, I'd love to hear how you get on. Silence can easily dominate the game, but sometimes the pressure of what's happening on the board can leave him without a job in some turns and he's high risk with his 1 dice character play's. He'd still be in my 8 though, and 100% definitely on the pitch against Brewers and Masons.