Sign in to follow this  
captainraffi

Does Guild Ball support the Log File feature?

I'm going to start an asynchronous game with a friend soon, where we take our turn and pass the file back and forth. I know it isn't necessarily an ideal way to play but we're going to give it a shot. Other games I've played on Vassal allow you to pass a log file back and forth, so your opponent can see your turn. Does GB support this feature?

For those unfamiliar, a logfile basically records everything you do once you turn it on. Chats, clicks, movements, every little thing. When loaded, a player can step through the log file click/chat/movement by click/chat/movement to see what you did. 

Gotcha, that's what I was thinking. The "Begin Logfile/End Logfile" doesn't even save the final game state unfortunately. We'll just have to pass the final save back and forth and narrate the turn I guess.

Let us hear how it went. I think with GB a problem could be that although it might be your turn, the opponent can still do a lot of responsive actions. They are very important for the game, but impossible to do with your method.

Yeah we shall see. I've done one async game already, and having a chat channel was vital. We used Slack, so when a player was going to charge/leave melee zone/other actions that had a response, we'd use the chat to talk about reactions and even roll dice. Then the person whose turn it was would resolve it all in the game. Not ideal, but worked.

I did that a lot with the Warmachine version, but it wasn't too bad for the most part because you could do your entire turn, and send it back to him.  It got really hairy though if the off player had anything like Enliven, or Countercharge or anything like that where it could trigger on your turn. Then you had to remember it, mail it back to him, let him make the call, and then get it back and continue.  That really interrupted the flow of the turn and if there was a few days, made it hard to remember what your original plan is.

Guildball takes that and multiplies that by a hundred.  If it works, that's awesome for you guys but it's way more patience than I'd ever have.