DrillbossD

Over-Engineered: Engineer's Guild Reports and Tactica

S3 announcement

Obviously things are mixed up now. Exciting!

I'll try to rework the doc so there's room for people to add notes about their S3 playing experiences. I don't have any myself yet, but I will soon.

I'm also in America now, so playing bandwidth/tournament time is very different. I'll post my own experiences of course, but I made it a google doc so I could easily hand out edit perms to the community or anyone else who becomes more active than I am.

Best,

Drillboss

----

Intro

This is the start of an (IMO) overdue Engineer's tactica. To start I'm just compiling various reports and tactica articles into one place--the astute reader can mine the reports themselves for what works and what doesn't :). As I have time I'm going to fill in my personal thoughts on each of the players, then lay out tips and tricks for building and piloting teams run by either of our captains. I definitely intend to lean on the community as I know Ballista much better than I know Pin Vice, though I'll start with my own thoughts on each and look forward to hearing ideas about running either of them. 

If you have reports or tactica here or on another site which you'd like added to the list in the OP, please shoot me a PM or post here.

Cheers,

Drillboss

Overview

TACTICA GOOGLE DOC

Because I find it easier to edit, actually going to maintain the tactica at the above link for now. Feel free to comment and ask questions right in the doc as I chop it up.

Reports and Other Posts

My own reports + shameless plugs:

S1/S2

Early Vassal Stuff (Ballista)
WCWW Winter Wreath (Ballista)
Grinstead Cup and Proving Grounds (Ballista)
Skull Cup (Ballista)
Insert Funny Name 2 (Pin Vice)
Vengeance (Pin Vice)
Clash of the Guilds 2 (Pin Vice), Rush Goalie 2, Pumpkin Cup, Bend it Like Bonesaw, Great Balls of Fire (Ballista)
UK Masters Weekend (Ballista)
BIG Sweaty Balls (Ballista)
Kickabout at Colours (Ballista)

S3 

Heretic Games Casual Tournament (Ballista)
Las Vegas Open (Ballista)

---

WCWW Interview about Engineers
My "Plumber's Guild" Engineers

More Reports and Tactica (feel free to PM or post if you'd like to contribute)

Inverted Polarity (Discussion + Reports on Both Captains)

Pin Vice Reports

Ballista Almost Gets the Bounty

Engineers at the Southern Ontario Open (Pin Vice)

Fish's Engineer Reports (Pin Vice)

Roley's Engineers (Pin Vice so far)

[S3] Byron Coaches the Engineers

Sweet Graphic of All Engineers Playbooks pre-S2

Draft of Ballista up. Still not sure how much I want to put in the Captain's profiles versus the tactics section. May reorganize entirely. TBD. If people have questions about Ballista (or any of the players really) please ask away as "common questions" is a great writing prompt.

Something that came up with recent game I had, mine field has some weird interactions with puppet master from Obulus. 

As in, on the turn where you use mine field and Obulus makes someone on your team Jog, they take the damage. During the Jog they count as being an enemy model to Ballista.

If you want to, I suggest you include some common Engineer related rules questions.

Great read so far though. Good job! 

Matt

1 hour ago, Mattias said:

Something that came up with recent game I had, mine field has some weird interactions with puppet master from Obulus. 

As in, on the turn where you use mine field and Obulus makes someone on your team Jog, they take the damage. During the Jog they count as being an enemy model to Ballista.

If you want to, I suggest you include some common Engineer related rules questions.

Great read so far though. Good job! 

Matt

Yea just had that happen to Rage (in this case from Lure, which as of the S2 Card printing causes a Jog rather than a "move up to its base move")--brutal!

Thanks for reading. It's still pretty sparse but wanted to start it before I didn't :).

12 hours ago, DrillbossD said:

Yea just had that happen to Rage (in this case from Lure, which as of the S2 Card printing causes a Jog rather than a "move up to its base move")--brutal!

Thanks for reading. It's still pretty sparse but wanted to start it before I didn't :).

No problemo. I will keep reading on every update. :) 

Thanks to your post I picked up Ballista again yesterday. 

I was glad to be back to him, but I'm struggling to do good. I won a close game against morticians because my opponent missed a goal with obulus. 12-8 final result. I scored 0 goals and did 6 takeouts. 

My team comp was 

Ballista, Mainspring, Salvo, Ratchet, Velocity & Hoist. 

I want to change the line-up, but I'm not sure who to swap. Both Ratchet and Salvo had some great activations (and some really bad ones). 

Who do you suggest I swap in? 

Cheers

1 hour ago, Mattias said:

Thanks to your post I picked up Ballista again yesterday. 

I was glad to be back to him, but I'm struggling to do good. I won a close game against morticians because my opponent missed a goal with obulus. 12-8 final result. I scored 0 goals and did 6 takeouts. 

My team comp was 

Ballista, Mainspring, Salvo, Ratchet, Velocity & Hoist. 

I want to change the line-up, but I'm not sure who to swap. Both Ratchet and Salvo had some great activations (and some really bad ones). 

Who do you suggest I swap in? 

Cheers

Not sure what you enjoy most about the faction or feel you are lacking, so don't have concrete recommendations. Here's a list of random crap we (me + various friends who have had Engineers stints) have tried. This is far from exhaustive as I wanted to stick with "gun" lists; you can play Ballista with no guns other than himself.

One lineup we used to really like was Ratchet/Salvo/Gutter/Compound, if you want to lean in on guns and then defense + cleanup, though you are basically relying on Gutter, Salvo, and Ballista has your strikers. I like Colossus over Velocity, but I understand why you might like her. As a scorer, I just love Colossus's reach so much. As mentioned I've been rocking Rage a lot lately, but slotting him in this team will give it a *very* different feel. I haven't tried Colossus, Ratchet, Salvo, Rage--probably because it looks to me on paper like it would have Inf issues. Compound/Ratchet/Salvo/Rage is probably *the* gunline lineup, but I don't really like Ratchet and Salvo on the same team anymore. My approach has been to pick the one that seems more appropriate to the lineup, whether there is high def/Clone/beautiful (Ratchet and Mainspring can play around this) or low def and not a lot of out of activation movement (Salvo punishes this). Decimate has been in more and more of my lineups as she can do so much for momentum and tag teams well with Ballista. My master's lineup was Decimate/Rage/Colossus/(Ratchet, Salvo, Compound, or Hoist), and that did nicely though I didn't pull out the win against Obs. Colossus/Compound/Salvo/Rage would have been a consideration against Masons.

So... lots of options? Salvo/Ratchet/A&G/(Colossus, Hoist, or Rage) is fun but maybe not stable. I once ran Salvo/Compound/Velocity/A&G in a tournament against Ox Butchers and that was fun, if a little silly. Compound got a goal that game, and Greede killed Ox, so just weird all around.

Oo sticky. Thanks to whoever did that :) .

So feeling a bit bad that I didn't get much writing done after all (August was a crazy month, and this month isn't looking much smoother workwise). However, I added a brief blurb about Mainspring outside of Ratchet, with the caveat that I'll be including most Mainspring info in the Ratchet section, which I can hopefully write this week. I think after that it will be Decimate since I find her so awesome with Ballista, but I'm open to questions/requests. I've written a lot of one-off responses on facebook and on the forums so will probably be copy-pasting some of those into the tactica, as I've done with the Avarisse and Greede section.

Had some nice casual games vs. @cacklad's Scalpel with Ballista, first using Colossus/Salvo/Rage/Decimate, then using Colossus/Hoist/Compound/Decimate. Logged a bit of it on instagram but may do a short report. Have two small events coming up (Hand of God in Woking and then the Kickabout at Colours), and soon after that I'm back to the states! 

Thanks everyone who's been following.

EDIT: I'll also think about doing a pass over Pin Vice, but welcome input from folks who play her more often.

EDIT2: Highlights of the aforementioned games were Ballista and Tooled Up Salvo gunning down Graves on turn 1, Colossus being a typical mensch in both combat support and goal hanging, and the best damage I've ever gotten out of Decimate. Colossus had engaged Ghast and Salvo knocked him down then also engaged. Decimate walked in with 4 inf, got Thousand Cuts + 1< on first hit, then was swinging 10 dice needing 2s 3 times. I believe she did 16 damage to Ghast and ended him on the spot (softened by Salvo and some hits the last turn).

1 hour ago, Puber88 said:

I Play Pinvice a bit,

I can offer some advice, im not the absolute best player in the world, but im reasonably solid with her? if you want it of course?

Sure! Feel free to drop stray thoughts (and caveats as you see fit) in as comments on the doc. Commenting should be open to everyone, and I'll selectively migrate commentary to the body text.

9 hours ago, MrGears said:

is there  plan to re work this document for Season 3ngineers? because I'm working up a playbook breakdown for a blog i intend to start with S3 and i think it might be quite useful

Drop the link on here. Will definitely add the link (as well as others I've seen @byronthebear ) and have some work to do on the document.

8 hours ago, PiperMacB said:

Thanks, great source of material for a newbie engineer like me :)

Do note that a fair amount of the advice in the attached Google Doc is still Season 2. So keep the season 2 cards handy and consider the general ideas and don't get caught up in the specifics since they may not apply. That being said, we need to start getting this updated to Season 3 because I'm also just getting back into it and was suffering from some serious analysis paralysis when trying to determine which six I wanted to put on the field for my first game back.

22 hours ago, dtjunkie19 said:

Not to take away from @DrillbossD's amazing thread here, but I was planning on adding to/putting together something on tactica/tips for Engineers in s3. I think it definitely would be useful to have updated information. 

PM me and I can give you edit perms to the doc!