Smoke's Legendary Play, Chemical Shower: Position two 3" AOEs within 8" of this model. Models within one or more of these AOEs immediately suffer 3 condition-damage. Models entering or ending their activation in either of these ongoing-effect AOEs suffer the poison condition.

Tough Hide: Enemy Plays that cause damage to, or Playbook damage results that hit this model are reduced by -1 DMG.

Does Tough Hide work on Chemical Shower? I can see it multiple ways.

It Works: Tough Hide works on enemy plays. Chemical shower is an enemy play.

It Doesn't: Tough Hide doesn't work on conditions. Chemical Shower deals condition-damage.

My understanding is that the reason Tough Hide doesn't work is that it is described as triggering on enemy plays or playbook damage results. During the maintenance phase, when conditions do damage, neither of these is occurring. Therefore the model takes full damage. But then why does Chemical Shower specify that it deals condition-damage? As far as I'm aware, there are no "damage types" described anywhere in the rulebook. Damage is just damage.

Rules as written, I think that Tough Hide does work on Chemical Shower but with Chemical Shower's wording, I wonder if there is intent to get around the as-written rules.

Is there a rule somewhere that I haven't seen in the books that clarifies this?

Tough Hide does not work on condition-damage. Condition-damage is the damage a model normally suffers in the Maintenance Phase from conditions like poison or burning. Chemical Shower breaks the normal rules and applies condition-damage in the Activation Phase, which gets around Tough Hide.

Chemical Shower is worded very specifically to avoid Tough Hide reducing the damage. :)

Does the phrase "Tough Hide does not work on condition-damage" exist in the rulebook or is it extracted from not being a playbook damage result or a character play?

Not that I disagree with your ruling, just want to know where I can point in the rulebook the next time it comes up at the FLGS.

4 minutes ago, Rontath said:

Does the phrase "Tough Hide does not work on condition-damage" exist in the rulebook or is it extracted from not being a playbook damage result or a character play?

Not that I disagree with your ruling, just want to know where I can point in the rulebook the next time it comes up at the FLGS.

I believe that it's that bit

2 hours ago, MetacarpiUG said:

I believe that it's that bit

I'm quite happy it got clarified. I get the reasoning, so it's not that surprising, but things could have been worded a bit more clearly: the damage is definitely the result of a Play and the rules don't spell out that being typed as condition-damage makes it an exception in that that means the damage isn't caused by the Play.

24 minutes ago, Pangur Ban said:

I'm quite happy it got clarified. I get the reasoning, so it's not that surprising, but things could have been worded a bit more clearly: the damage is definitely the result of a Play and the rules don't spell out that being typed as condition-damage makes it an exception in that that means the damage isn't caused by the Play.

I completely agree with you, and actually played it as causing 2 damage to Corsair due to Tough Hide in a friendly game last weekend - I was just clarifying for Rontath that what TheLietenant was saying stemmed from the wording of Tough Hide.

I hope I didn't come across as being funny or anything.

6 minutes ago, MetacarpiUG said:

I hope I didn't come across as being funny or anything.

No, no. Nothing like that. No worries. :) 

If the book says that Tough Hide doesn't work against condition-damage I can't find it, other than in a roundabout way. Not ideal.

I completely agree with the rule as intended and am fine as playing it that way. But if there's a rules lawyer player around I'm going to have a tough time convincing them short of pointing at this exact post. My understanding of the literal translation of the rules is that Tough Hide doesn't work on conditions normally because they don't occur during an activation, but because they normally occur during the maintenance phase. Chemical Shower is a play that occurs during an activation and therefore it should trigger tough hide.

13 minutes ago, Rontath said:

My understanding of the literal translation of the rules is that Tough Hide doesn't work on conditions normally because they don't occur during an activation, but because they normally occur during the maintenance phase. Chemical Shower is a play that occurs during an activation and therefore it should trigger tough hide.

I agree, but I did find that the collected clarifications at least spell it out:

Tough hide:

Works on all plays – normal, legendary and heroic.

does not work on character traits or condition-damage.

You know, I read Smoke's card and knew instantly  the unusual wording meant Tough Hide didn't effect the damage. Wasn't until reading this that made me think that it needed a clarification, and I agree it needed it now.