Sign in to follow this  
dtjunkie19

Esters Tourney Report

Played in a Very Cleaver Named Guildball Tournament down in Swarthmore, PA this past weekend. Brought my brewers, despite having little experience playing them, mainly because they were more fully painted than my Butchers are. Brought Esters, she seems really versatile and can either put the beat down herself, or support either murderball or scoring with her team. Apologies if I get any details of the games wrong, they all start to blend together and I always forget to take good notes. 

Round 1 vs. Masons (Hammer)
Brewers Lineup -
Esters
Scum
Mash
Hooper
Spigot
Gutter

Masons Lineup -
Hammer
Marbles
Mallet
Flint
Mist
Brick

Game Details (in progress)

Final: 9-12 Masons 
Me: 3 Takeouts; 3 points from Clock
Opp: 2 Takeouts; 2 Goal; 1 VP from Clock (? - not 100% sure on exact breakdown)

Round 2 vs. Masons (Honour)
Brewers Lineup -
Esters
Scum
Mash
Hooper
Spigot
Friday

Masons Lineup -
Honour
Marbles
Chisel
Flint
Decimate
Brick

Game Details (in progress)

Final: 12-6 Brewers 
Me: 6 Takeouts
Opp: 1 Takeout, 1 goal

Round 3 vs. Engineers (Ballista)
Brewers Lineup -
Esters
Scum
Mash
Hooper
Spigot
Friday

Engineers Lineup - 
Ballista
Mainspring
Salvo
Velocity
Rage
Rachet

Game Details 

He wins the roll off, chooses to receive. I kick off with esters to get her up the field and bait him into wasting influence on shooting her. Turn 1, I move up all of my models, he does some passing. He starts knocking down a bunch of my models. I am able to get a charge with Friday into Velocity after he moves her up to generate some momentum.  Esters gets off a bunch of damage with tooled up AOEs and heroics to stand up and heal Mash and Hooper. He advances mainspring down my left flank in a bit of a curious manner.

Turn two, he wins the roll off, continues to have salvo dance around knocking everyone down. Unfortunately, I was not getting the chance to get in on any of his models to generate the momentum I needed to stand everyone up with Esters, and I was starting to get worried that I would get controlled and picked apart. However, he had passed the ball to mainspring earlier, who decided to advance up into 2" of Mash and try to pass to Rachet. He misses, and the ball ends up snapping to Rachet or Salvo. However, Mash is able to stand up and wail on the bug, getting off a bunch of momentous pushes. Esters then is able to go and stand most the rest of the team up, and goes into mainspring leaving him at 1 box. 

The rest of the game is a bit blurry for me, but basically I am able to get into him and start smacking him around. I get velocity low, I am able to get salvo surrounded on all sides and start laying into him. He tries to shoot his way to safety and score, but is taken out eventually. Mainspring also eventually gets pushed back into his team and taken out.  Rachet and velocity also get taken out, and Mash is able to grab the ball and score for the game. 

Final: 12-0 Brewers 
Me: 4 Takeouts; 1 Goal

Round 4 vs. Butchers (Fillet)

Brewers Lineup -
Esters
Scum
Mash
Hooper
Spigot
Averisse & Greede

Butcher Lineup -
Fillet
Princess
Boiler
Shank
Brisket
Tenderizer

Game Details 

Decided on A+G in this lineup mainly to have another tanky body on the field vs. fillet and the butchers and to use the activation advantage to my benefit.

Lost the roll off, my opponent chose to receive. I kicked off with esters, put the ball on the right flank. First turn was basically him setting up for the goal with brisket. I probably could have done a better job trying to stop him, but I decided to let him go for it, position my models aggressively and get the advantage going into the next turn.  He ends up scoring with brisket but leaving her relatively exposed up the field. The scatter on the kickoff goes horribly for me and the ball ends up snapping to shank. He left shank in range of a sped up Esters , so I zoomed her across the board to put a bunch of damage onto him and generate momentum.

Turn two, Esters gets loaded up again, kills shank and (foolishly) advances into boiler and starts punching on him. Should have just walked Esters back towards the team after taking out shank, but I got greedy and saw blood lol. Brisket starts getting beat on by Hooper and Spigot. Averisse stupidly tries to charge Filletand gets caught out by the counter charge from tenderizer (womp womp). Boiler and princess start smacking Esters and putting damage on her. Fillet comes in zooming across his side of the board to take her out. Mash had been planning on chasing the ball but after seeing esters take the beating, he goes in and knocks fillet down while keeping her at 2" to control her for the next turn. 

Next turn sees Brisket go down, Shank pick up the ball. Fillet goes in on hooper and spigot and takes out spigot. Averisse goes over and engages tenderizer. I get some incidental damage and pushes/knockdowns to generate some momentum. 

Next turn, he wins the roll off. The order of activations on this is fuzzy, but I believe fillet goes and just barely takes out hooper, getting him to 10.  However, he clocks out at this point. Esters gets tooled up and takes out Shank again with her AOEs, taking me to 7. With the time pressure on, and Fillet + swift stance from boiler using most of his influence, he can't do much with the rest of his turn, especially since I had both scum and greede as empty activations to immediately shift the clock back to him and further pressure him. I end up getting 5VP total from clock, bringing me to 11. Unfortunately, he was one activation shy of giving me the last point on that turn, and I ended up only having Mash to activate. He was leading the momentum race, and there was no way Mash could get a take out that turn. And if Fillet could activate first next turn, she almost certainly would have taken out esters again. So it was goal time for mash,who was on a full 3 influence.  I was within sprint, super shot and shoot range, but I didn't want to risk the tackle or knockdown from the parting blow. Luckily, I still had one touch football, which I had previously discounted as knocking going to be useful in the game. So mash put up super shot, passed to esters who immediately passed back. Mash used the pass momentum to dodge up the field and out of melee, putting him within walk and shoot range for the goal. Earlier during the turn tenderiser had activated and accidentally moved outside of range for the +1 TN, which certainly was a relief for me. Mash shoots and....screamer! the crowd goes wild. 

Awesome game, probably one of my favorate games of guild ball to day. What really won me the game was the activation advantage from A+G and mash. I was able to put a lot of time pressure on my opponent by having the extra junk activation, and Mash didn't job tying up and disrupting models. In particular, he really caused a headache for my opponent in how to get fillet out from being engaged with him, which really ate up a lot of his clock time. It was certainly a nail biter right down to the end, and certainly could have gone the other way if the last few moves didnt work out for me. 

Final: 12-10 Brewers 
3 Takeouts; 1 Goal; 5 VP from Clock

Overall:
3-1, came in 2nd place, which was awesome. Had 4 really awesome games against great opponents, and got to meet a number of new people, which is always a plus. Also picked up a resin Hammer, which of course means I had to pick up the rest of the masons to join him, hah. As to the brewers, overall I really enjoyed their playstyle. I definitely felt myself playing them a little bit too much in the same style as my Butchers, i.e., alpha strike for tons of damage, get ahead in attrition and momentum, repeat. There were times where I probably could have benefited more from spreading the influence around, positioning better to have my models support each other in the scrum, etc. Certainly enjoyed the massive resilience of the team. 

As to the lineup and individual players, I ended up playing a bit of everything, and I overall was really happy with the 8 I chose. Esters was a beast, so flexible. Between throwing out 6 damage from tooled up AOEs, buffing the team, and being a formidable beater on her own when loaded up, she did basically everything I wanted. Player wise, hooper was solid at tanking on the front line and throwing out damage. Spigot provided great support, although at times his relative squishiness made him a liability. Unfortunately, Friday never really had a chance to shine in my game, mainly because I don't think I used her particularly well. Mash however, was a beast. He played so many rolls, although I never was able to successfully get him into snap shot position when it mattered - that was more likely due to positioning errors by me though, and not setting the scrum in the right area of the field. Mash did, however, act as an amazing ball carrier, a clutch striker, and a solid source of ganging up bonuses as well as momentous pushes and knockdowns. Certainly a staple player for me in Ester's lineup. 

On 2016-05-31 at 10:39 PM, dtjunkie19 said:

Mash, who was on a full 4 influence

Typo? Or am I missing something? His base stat is 2/3.

I hasten to add: great writeup, always a good way to learn new tricks/ideas.

7 hours ago, skrabba said:

Typo? Or am I missing something? His base stat is 2/3.

I hasten to add: great writeup, always a good way to learn new tricks/ideas.

Typo, I'll edit accordingly. Thanks! Also looks like I made some other mistakes with the timing of when stuff happened in that game. I should take better notes!