Frostmane

2 Captain Tournament - Captain Selection

1 hour ago, Pangur Ban said:

She absolutely does, but in my perception I generate enough Mom without her. I know that sounds like I don't get how important Mom is (trust me, I do), but as long as I can generate a handful per turn other things start getting to be more important to me than generating that surplus. Hemlocke can help me with some of those, Gutter a little bit less so.

Edit, to maybe clarify where I come from a little bit: in the Mom race, Fish usually (Shark Fish certainly) don't get to force the opponent to spend Mom. We have no condition game other than KDs and in comparison to other Guilds we don't excel even at that. We don't do a ton of damage that needs to be healed up. We don't put down terrain. We don't have superlative defensive stats or make it harder to shoot on goal, so we don't push opponents to Bonus Time more than usual. Because of this, I feel that concentrating on Mom generation to the point of making it a race is of limited value: I'm either going to lose that race or I'm going to do too little with the Mom I generate, and neither helps me win games. If I can get a bit more Mom out of a turn that's great, but I don't want to fixate on it. When I do, I start making tactical mistakes.

I totally get that this is different for others. I also certainly see this becomes a whole other ball game with Corsair and (hopefully soon) Veteran Siren. But with my current preferences, I give Hemlocke an edge over Gutter. 

I agree, and as a Fish player have always felt that inf is more important to mom, but I burn through mom healing and doing Pass and Move/Give and Go. I just like that having Gutter makes your opponent think about spacing, etc. And I'm not a huge fan of Hemlocke's model.

14 minutes ago, Pangur Ban said:

Honest question: what about Gutter's pointy shoes? First thing I did was give those a makeover.

There's historical precedent: hooked shoes like that are for riding. As she's a pirate, they make little sense I suppose.

I'll do a more full report later, but here's the gist:

Game 1: Fillet, Princess, Brisket, Shank, Boar, Tenderiser.

I played: Shark, Salt, Sakana, Grayscales, Siren, Jac

quick summary: thought Siren was safe behind a tree, Fillet had LoS by a hair, KO'd turn 1 after retrieving the kick. Things went downhill from there. Lost 12-4. I missed THREE kicks in this game. 

Game 2: Fillet, Princess, Bolier, Brisket, Boar, Meathook

I played Shark, Salt, Sakana, Greyscales, Jac, Gutter

Learned my lesson, took out Siren. He was a newer player and didn't realize that when I kicked it just over the line with Jac I was going to blast Brisket off the pitch. Highlight of the game was putting Gutter in range of Fillet, Princess and Boar and scoring 4 scything blows in one turn for something like 31 or 32 damage. Won this one 12 (14) - 4

Game 3: Ballista, Mainspring, Salvo, Ratchet, Velocity, Colossus

Played my match 1 list again, since Siren is good there.

Jac was a boss this game. He tanked Minefield to the face to push Ballista 5" away, freeing up Greyscales to score and Shark to threaten a second on the same turn. Sakana blasted Mainspring off the board on a charge with Steamroller. Ended up winning 12(14)-2

Fully half the field didn't show up so my 2-1 record was good for second, the Butchers player who beat me took first.

I was happy with Shark and really want to play Corsair but into Butchers and Engineers I went with the safe option

7 hours ago, Frostmane said:

I'll do a more full report later, but here's the gist:

Game 1: Fillet, Princess, Brisket, Shank, Boar, Tenderiser.

I played: Shark, Salt, Sakana, Grayscales, Siren, Jac

quick summary: thought Siren was safe behind a tree, Fillet had LoS by a hair, KO'd turn 1 after retrieving the kick. Things went downhill from there. Lost 12-4. I missed THREE kicks in this game. 

Game 2: Fillet, Princess, Bolier, Brisket, Boar, Meathook

I played Shark, Salt, Sakana, Greyscales, Jac, Gutter

Learned my lesson, took out Siren. He was a newer player and didn't realize that when I kicked it just over the line with Jac I was going to blast Brisket off the pitch. Highlight of the game was putting Gutter in range of Fillet, Princess and Boar and scoring 4 scything blows in one turn for something like 31 or 32 damage. Won this one 12 (14) - 4

Game 3: Ballista, Mainspring, Salvo, Ratchet, Velocity, Colossus

Played my match 1 list again, since Siren is good there.

Jac was a boss this game. He tanked Minefield to the face to push Ballista 5" away, freeing up Greyscales to score and Shark to threaten a second on the same turn. Sakana blasted Mainspring off the board on a charge with Steamroller. Ended up winning 12(14)-2

Fully half the field didn't show up so my 2-1 record was good for second, the Butchers player who beat me took first.

I was happy with Shark and really want to play Corsair but into Butchers and Engineers I went with the safe option

You did good, well done :)

I forgot my play of the game against the first Butcher's opponent: He has Tenderiser close to the goal, Sakana has the ball and 3 INF. I charge and get all hits, take the double push double dodge and Momentous double dodge, push Tenderiser out of goal keeper range and Sakana 4" so he's in a great place to shoot. He missed, but it still showed just how strong he can be.