squirtis

Painting for beginners

@Gervill Froad looks great man. I really like the ornstein and smough.

For the cloth, on the herald, I started with black primer, them used a super thinned out grey and did a whole layer. Then used the same thinned out paint to build to the highlight areas. Once that was good I used an off white only on the brightest parts to build to a near white. Used thin layers of that and thinned out half and half white/grey as a mix for blending.

The trouble with using brown as your shade is it looking muddy, which I kinda like and thought about adding some light mud to the very edge.

Cheers though your figures look great

1 hour ago, squirtis said:

@Gervill Froad looks great man. I really like the ornstein and smough.

For the cloth, on the herald, I started with black primer, them used a super thinned out grey and did a whole layer. Then used the same thinned out paint to build to the highlight areas. Once that was good I used an off white only on the brightest parts to build to a near white. Used thin layers of that and thinned out half and half white/grey as a mix for blending.

The trouble with using brown as your shade is it looking muddy, which I kinda like and thought about adding some light mud to the very edge.

Cheers though your figures look great

Thanks!

I am trying these tips on the dancers cape as i type this... my highlights might not be the most noticeable at a distance but it looks better to me up close

36 minutes ago, Gervill Froad said:

Thanks!

I am trying these tips on the dancers cape as i type this... my highlights might not be the most noticeable at a distance but it looks better to me up close

I'm scared to do the dancer, haha. I look forward to seeing it.

The thing I've had the most fun with is painting in super light layers, almost glazes. It let's you get a really strong dynamic between all the colors that will exist between shade and bright and gives you more control.

21 hours ago, squirtis said:

I'm scared to do the dancer, haha. I look forward to seeing it.

The thing I've had the most fun with is painting in super light layers, almost glazes. It let's you get a really strong dynamic between all the colors that will exist between shade and bright and gives you more control.

I saved the dancer for last because of the cape and sword... but taking my time on the cape and going slow with layering turned out pretty good considering my lack of skill when it comes to painting cloth. Thanks for the help

iU4gwoKl.jpg

M5FOEvMl.jpg

GxC2Z7Cl.jpg

@Gervill Froad looks good, man! a lot better. there's a lot of dynamic between your darks and lights and your medium tone is a lot more visible between the two. gives it a lot more dimension. good work!

edit - oh, i also wanted to ask you how you did the dragon image no the herald's shield. that looks cool!

7 minutes ago, squirtis said:

@Gervill Froad looks good, man! a lot better. there's a lot of dynamic between your darks and lights and your medium tone is a lot more visible between the two. gives it a lot more dimension. good work!

edit - oh, i also wanted to ask you how you did the dragon image no the herald's shield. that looks cool!

Its a decal....so i guess i cheated ;P

1 hour ago, Gervill Froad said:

Looking good! What paints did you use for his shield? I really like the look of that dark metal

Just did a dry brush with gun metal before I did anything on him. Went back later to do highlights with a shiny silver

Has/could someone ma(k/d)e a "shopping list" for a beginner painter  Dark Souls?
I'd like to start painting my set, but I'm just baffled a bit at all the options and having a analysis paralysis with them.
I'm just worried if I buy something and it's "bad" or that I realize I'm missing some paint or tool when I'm in the middle of painting.

42 minutes ago, Aramis said:

Has/could someone ma(k/d)e a "shopping list" for a beginner painter  Dark Souls?
I'd like to start painting my set, but I'm just baffled a bit at all the options and having a analysis paralysis with them.
I'm just worried if I buy something and it's "bad" or that I realize I'm missing some paint or tool when I'm in the middle of painting.

you'll want to get a paint set. i grabbed the army painter 2017 paint set with like ~50 paints included, probably a bit overkill, if you're ok mixing to get your colors you can get away with only buying a few colors and mixing. citadel, scale75, vallejo, or army painter are all good paints. get a spray can of primer, too. you can brush on primer but i find it's easier to get a thin even coat with a can. i bought black so everything would be dark for dark souls but many people paint with white or gray as their primer. white will make the colors pop a lot more. 

you'll want a few brushes, i'd recommend windsor and newton kolinsky sable series 7 sized 1 or 0, or both. you don't need to get a super tiny brush as long as your brush keeps a nice point. many high level painters only use a size 1 brush for everything. (https://www.amazon.com/Winsor-Newton-Kolinsky-Sable-Watercolor/dp/B0013E68T4) only time you'd need a different brush is if you're dry brushing. the dry brush i use is from army painter.

other than that you might want a wet palette or some brush cleaner. you'll also want to watch some videos about thinning your paints. i most always add water to paints after i get them out of the bottle. you could also buy a hobby knife if you're worried about mold lines or anything.  you'll probably want some blu-tac or something to stick your mini on a pill bottle or something as it's way easier to hold that than trying to hold the mini's base.

cheers and happy painting

Weirdly, I'd warn new painters off the scale75 stuff - it's lovely paint for glazing, but it needs serious thinning to avoid going on like mashed potato and doesn't cover well when it is thinned. Both of which make me use it a lot (they're my favourite paint make), but if I'd started out using it I'd have hated every second!

Vallejo are much more forgiving in that sense, they're my second go-to brand. The others all have good points too, often its down to availability to pick between them I think.

@squirtis is dead on about the brushes - good brushes with a decent point will do more for you than any number of paint additives, fancy palettes and so on. I do a lot of my work with a rosemary and co series 22 or 33 size 2, dropping to size 1 for details and eyes. The bigger the brush, the fewer strokes you need to cover the area and the smoother it goes down, I was always told

So a basic list for me would be:

Paints - white, black, and a handful of colours you like or want to use (a metal or two, some good strong colours, and maybe a muted brown or the like)

Spray primer - black is more forgiving, white gives brighter results on pale colour schemes. Black is my usual suggestion for new painters

Brushes - Size 2, 1 (and maybe 0) in reasonable kolinsky sable. Don't go nuts though, some brushes get crazy expensive

Palette - A cheap 6 well plastic palette or similar from a craft store will do, something with smallish wells for preference

Water pot - a cup, but not one you want to drink from any time soon (says the man who regularly leaves his coffee next to his water pot and forgets which is which...)

If you want to play with them once you've painted them, you'll probably want some varnish too - brush or spray gloss to put a few protective coats on, then something like testors dullcote in a spray can for a quick dust of matte to take the shine off. Try to avoid spirit based varnishes though, they can react oddly to acrylics.

19 minutes ago, squirtis said:

Didn't know that about scale75 @Mako i've just seen a lot of the advanced guys use it so i threw it in the list.

Yeah, they're fantastic paints (I have a lot of them) and come out really matte (which is part of why display painters like them so much), but man they can be a mare to control, especially if you don't put a base colour down first :D