Anphiarus

I love Guild Ball miniatures!!!

Great work on the farmers , but really love hunters too

I think i'm going to copy this hunters palette on mine!

My farmers got mold line problems too, jackstraw is the worst one, horrible on the left arm

@Pending Forum Suspension I've not worked with the tape before but I may give it a go on larger models, for Bushel it was freehand and more breath holding than I care for :).

The Farmers are all done now, they've been a nice challenge and I've learned a few things along the way.

MkskuzM.jpg

WvN3ksW.jpg

Just thought I'd share a few pics of the latest conversion I've been working on. My challenge was to make the big girl have a little more movement. I hope to be back painting soon but my time is pretty limited at the moment, at least with sculpting you can leave it lying a fair bit without the worry of drying.

iYzowYY.jpg

4GPQqrn.jpg

DecKR5d.jpg

EdEZ5Qb.jpg

I've been browsing around a few days here, mainly in your topic and decided to make an account here, why? Because I wanted to tell you just how absolutely stunning work you've done. Your hunters are absolutely out of this world. And the conversions you do are magnificent. I'm really stunned here, just sitting around starting at your models while I should be working. 

You are truly an inspiration! How long does it take for you to finish up a model may I ask? Paint wise. And how long conversion wise? :)

Painting time is still pretty limited for me at the moment so I've had  to scratch my hobby itch with some more conversions. @Kueller had asked me to repose Decimate to look a little more like the artwork. I forgot just how small the original sculpts were, it was quite the challenge to work on her but I'm happy with how she looks.

M8kH54d.jpg

wi2gB9e.jpg

T1xy6z1.jpg 

@Peterseven Thank you, Is that the normal one or the skull faced one? I was thinking about doing a step by step on the skull face if anyone wanted it.

@Furnace You are very kind indeed. I'm glad some of the stuff I do encourages you to do something similar yourself, feel free to share some pictures of your own work if you feel like it, it's always nice to see others work. Time wise it takes me about 8 hours to paint a model, the newer/larger models about 10 hours I think. The conversions are quite a bit longer seen as I'm learning how to sculpt as I go along, I'd say it took me about 15-20 hours for the Esters conversion but something like the Pumpkin headed Obulus was converted in a couple of hours. 

Damn, 8-10 hours? I use around that time or more and mine look nothing like yours! :D

That conversion again is very wicked. Have you just learnt to sculpt yourself or could you point a fellow converter enthusiast to a tutorial direction where you might have gotten some pointers? Or what would be your own pointers? I mainly do conversion with different bits etc but not much with greenstuff yet, I'm not at all good at sculpting myself. 

1 hour ago, Anphiarus said:

I was thinking about doing a step by step on the skull face if anyone wanted it.

Do it :D

I always like step by steps, even if I don’t follow them they give me ideas for things...

On 11/2/2017 at 11:42 AM, Furnace said:

Damn, 8-10 hours? I use around that time or more and mine look nothing like yours! :D

That conversion again is very wicked. Have you just learnt to sculpt yourself or could you point a fellow converter enthusiast to a tutorial direction where you might have gotten some pointers? Or what would be your own pointers? I mainly do conversion with different bits etc but not much with greenstuff yet, I'm not at all good at sculpting myself. 

Your doing exactly what I did when I first started out, start small and work on things you are comfortable with for now and get used to using your sculpting tools and material. Once in a while challenge yourself to a larger conversion just to push yourself, don't go too big as you can (I have many a time) bite off more than you can chew. I've learned through making plenty of mistakes in my time but I personally believe that's the best way to do it. If you are unsure how to tackle something try sculpting it on something that isn't your model so you won't get annoyed about getting it wrong, that's how I taught myself to sculpt skulls :). Most of all do it whilst your enjoying it, if you find yourself getting fed up just take a step back and paint something, sculpting is in my opinion as much rewarding as it is difficult so just keep plugging away.

I'm pretty sure there are many a video on youtube about sculpting so soak up as much information as you can.

I've only had time to sculpt of late and even that has been sporadic, this is something I recently completed, Obulus the Ferryman

AcOTHQE.jpg

5EVCWcK.jpg

yVnptf2.jpg

NyPvdMf.jpg

I'm giving this fella away by the way, all you have to do is like it on the Guild ball supports facebook page and you'll be in the draw. It's not a gimmick to get more likes or attention, it's just a way of giving back to this wonderful community.

17 hours ago, Anphiarus said:

Your doing exactly what I did when I first started out, start small and work on things you are comfortable with for now and get used to using your sculpting tools and material. Once in a while challenge yourself to a larger conversion just to push yourself, don't go too big as you can (I have many a time) bite off more than you can chew. I've learned through making plenty of mistakes in my time but I personally believe that's the best way to do it. If you are unsure how to tackle something try sculpting it on something that isn't you model so you won't get annoyed about getting it wrong, that's how I taught myself to sculpt skulls :). Most of all do it whilst your enjoying it, if you find yourself getting fed up just take a step back and paint something, sculpting is in my opinion as much rewarding as it is difficult so just keep plugging away.

I'm pretty sure there are many a video on youtube about sculpting so soak up as much information as you can.

Thanks for taking the time to write that up, I'll need to put that into motion. 

There's just so many tutorials etc on youtube that it's an nigh endless ocean but I'll go and have a look. I'm sure the sculpting work is very rewarding, I'm a huge fan of basing and usually make my own. 

Sculpting is something I'm very interested in but I'm quite intimidated by it. Maybe one day. Your work again is stunning however, on your Obulus. 

23 hours ago, Anphiarus said:

AcOTHQE.jpg

I'm giving this fella away by the way, all you have to do is like it on the Guild ball supports facebook page and you'll be in the draw. It's not a gimmick to get more likes or attention, it's just a way of giving back to this wonderful community.

Damn it now I have to remember my facebook password. :wacko:

It's been a little while since I was last in and around the forum but I've been keeping myself pretty busy with a rather exciting commission. Ritch from Beard minis contacted me and asked if I wouldn't mind painting up his Blacksmiths for his channel. This is what I've managed to do over the past 5 weeks of painting and converting.

U1phlw9.jpg

The Forged from Steel set were a joy to paint, the cleanup and prep was as awkward as ever with the new plastics but you can certainly see they've made improvements on the first Farmers set. The only conversions I did for this lot was to bore out the furnaces on Cinder and Furnace and then remove that thing attached to Ferrite's knee.

YxqXNmk.jpg

The Master Crafted Arsenal set is jam packed with lots of little details and was for the most part a joy to paint. Prep wise I must say was a total pain, Hearth alone sent me a little crazy chasing all manner of mold lines on multiple planes. Conversion wise I decided to cut away those clear poles on Bolt and use the anvil from the scenery piece to make him look like he was hurdling it. With Cast It was a simple turning of the disc in her left hand (apologies for the glare on her discs but seen as it was a skill of hers I glossed them to hell and back). Farris was somewhat a larger conversion but I have to say that the fact they are plastic makes converting a whole lot easier, just remember to pin where you can as glue alone wont be strong enough in my opinion.

099TFM8.jpg

U2TUepw.jpg

Finally here's a full team shot. Overall I must say that Steamforged are making some good progress with the plastics and I look forward to seeing just how far they can push it. I can't help but feel they shouldn't glue these multi part plastics together as some of the cleaning is a serious pain in backside but |I understand they want people to play straight from the box.

SIOfSxY.jpg

Finally a big thank you to Pete for recommending myself to Ritch in the first place, much appreciated buddy!