Sign in to follow this  
Mr. Bleak

Won my first game of Guild Ball!

So I had been peripherally aware of Guildball for the past several months as a few of my local Warmahordes junkies converted, then after Adepticon it seemed like everything really ramped up for Guild Ball and I decided to finally at least look at the website. As soon as I saw the art and models and read the main rule book I knew I had to get into it. I waffled on picking a guild for what felt like ages (and I still have rosters made up for just about every team) but then I went in to a local shop yesterday and finally got a demo game from the local pundit and I played Fish into Alchs. I had been leaning Fish, with Union as my runner up, and as soon as I actually played the Fish I knew they weren't for me; I like to scrum too much and my fishes got destroyed by conditions (Shark is not happy being Blinded, not at all) and Midas doing Midas things. 

So today I went back to the shop and bought a Union starter, built it, and painted Decimate. A few hours later I played my first game with my models against Brewers (Tapper starter w/Hooper and Friday) and won 8-4, with Blackheart scoring twice (including a first turn goal! He's such a beast!) So I'm pretty happy with my decision, and I'm excited to expand with Coin, Avarisse and Greede and Mist (and Alts of VRage and Hemlocke I think) 

I'm curious how the rest of the community got into the game of Guild Ball and into Union? Do you think my 8 man plan is reasonable for a beginning player? 

You might need an eighth other than vRage since he's the captain.  Consider maybe baby Rage, at least till you get comfortable with the game?  Fangtooth is also a good player but you have to play around him a little yourself. 

I picked Butchers and Union to start - I like hitting people, so Butchers was easy.  And I really liked the idea of the independent, individually competent models, so Union made sense.  Noticing that Decimate and Gutter were both willing to play for Butchers, and that I was planning to get Rage made me decide to start with my Union team.  By the time I get to 8 Union, I'm basically 2 models away from playing almost any team (a captain and a mascot).  It may not be the ideal line up, but if I want to play a team, I probably can.

And then I ended up just playing Union all the time. ;)