Banjulhu

Veteran Siren and Tentacles

Sorry, that wouldn't let me edit that quote properly for dome reason...

The point is that while DEF 4+ / ARM 1 is a good defensive stat line, it's very killable, and there is no consideration needed as to whether you kill Tentacles - you just do it. Even if you wait until the end of the turn to trigger loved creature, you still give me a momentum boost, which can make all the difference on a close turn. 

As I rarely use Salt in combat at all, he doesn't get killed much at all in my games, while generally getting at least one opportunity to taxi the ball somewhere for me. I think I'll continue to use Salt with Shark (mobile independent ball collection is just better for him) and use Tentacles with Corsair (where a central mess of 2" melee players could prevent him from being squished and you could take advantage of his melee range and ball holding while even throwing the occasional blind out if the situation demanded...)

At least all is depending on your play style, line up and the opponent.

Tentacles is easy to kill for Butchers, like Salt, but Salt is mobile and can get out easily. I see Tentacles against ball controller teams as it has close control, and could get the ball for you and move (8/10' if required) and/or pass with a not bad 2/6'' kick 

3 hours ago, JS said:

Mascot with a KICK stat as good as Obulus. Not bad.

I'm not sure why this keeps being brought up. It's not like Obulus is considered to be a great striker, and the real reason he's decent at it is his guaranteed 18" scoring threat range. It's massively better than Salt for sure, but that's not saying much.

Tentacles is one of 2 mascots with a 2/- kick (Mother is 2/4"), and Mainspring is the only other one that can get to 2/6" with super shot, so I think the reason Obulus gets mentioned is because Tentacles has legit ball handling ability.

Yeah, but Katalyst also has the same ball handling, but slightly better jog speed which is a better comparison. It isn't great, but it's good for a mascot. If you just need to kick it to space though, Salt still can move it further thanks to superior movement...

30 minutes ago, FearLord said:

Yeah, but Katalyst also has the same ball handling, but slightly better jog speed which is a better comparison. It isn't great, but it's good for a mascot. If you just need to kick it to space though, Salt still can move it further thanks to superior movement...

Tentacles in a Corsair team becomes a legitmate goal scoring option when under One Leg Stance, he would not obviously be the first choice but he is a choice for (and likely when) things dont always go as planned.

3 minutes ago, Banjulhu said:

Tentacles in a Corsair team becomes a legitmate goal scoring option when under One Leg Stance, he would not obviously be the first choice but he is a choice for (and likely when) things dont always go as planned.

I think this nails it. Also it makes sense as to why Tentacles is a 1/2 INF, because with 3 she'd likely be able to do some actually meaningful ball play.

I actually like Salt more than most, even though I find him a liability most of the time, and I think that I'm going to end up pushing Tentacles too hard and getting her killed because she's actually capable of doing things. And on top of all this she has Blind!

20 minutes ago, Banjulhu said:

That's true.

6 hours ago, Pangur Ban said:

I'm not sure why this keeps being brought up. It's not like Obulus is considered to be a great striker, and the real reason he's decent at it is his guaranteed 18" scoring threat range. It's massively better than Salt for sure, but that's not saying much.

It's not really about Obulus as such. It's the same KICK as Shank or Boiler or Katalyst or whatever. Obulus is just the OP flavour of the month so he's a good comparison.

The main point is that a 2/6" KICK for a Mascot is superlative. You can reliably use it to pass the ball around when receiving first turn for example, throw the ball back upfield/wing or set up goal scoring opportunities in isolated situations.

11 minutes ago, JS said:

It's not really about Obulus as such. It's the same KICK as Shank or Boiler or Katalyst or whatever. Obulus is just the OP flavour of the month so he's a good comparison.

The main point is that a 2/6" KICK for a Mascot is superlative. You can reliably use it to pass the ball around when receiving first turn for example, throw the ball back upfield/wing or set up goal scoring opportunities in isolated situations.

You can also kick it back to Tentacles (with Close control), then hitch a ride up the pitch off another player, then dish to either side of the field fairly effectively and safely. I think using Tentacles as a first turn pivot gives a Corsair team a definite plan when receiving. The more I think about it the more I like her with Corsair because he's not always going to take 6 INF like Shark so you have a little more to spread around and Tentacles should benefit and bring some interesting options to the table. I still think she'll be great with Shark too, but the synergies with Corsair feel very strong, much stronger than Shark and Salt.

13 hours ago, JS said:

I get that, I really do, but it feels like people are saying Tentacles has Captain-level Kick stats and that seems misleading. Technically they are Captain-level Kick stats since there's a Captain (one of the best ones at that) with these same Kick stats, but it's a Captain who doesn't often care about Kicking, in a Guild that's probably not completely boned if they miss a Shot on goal (that's worse for us Fish) and in which 2/6" are more or less standard Kick stats. That Guild is also the worst Kicking Guild period. 

2/6" is awesome for a Mascot. So let's say it like that. Tentacles has fantastic Kick stats for a Mascot. If Salt had 2/6" Kick stats he'd be one of the best Mascots in the game and I probably wouldn't even have any interest in Tentacles as a competitive option. 

I'm actually more excited for siren than tentacles. Both could do well in my corsair team, but including tentacles will force me to adjust my playstyle. I'm sure I'll adjust to tentacles even though he seems so much more fragile than salt because at least my opponents tend to wait on salt's inevitable knockout until the end of the turn/game. Losing the ability to box in opponents in a corsair/Jac/salt death ring during Jac's activation will be the biggest change for me.

4 minutes ago, Ik-tornado said:

I'm actually more excited for siren than tentacles. Both could do well in my corsair team, but including tentacles will force me to adjust my playstyle. I'm sure I'll adjust to tentacles but he seems so much more fragile than salt because at least my opponents tend to wait on salt's inevitable knockout until the end of the turn/game. But losing the ability to box in opponents in a corsair/Jac/salt death ring during Jac's activation will be the biggest change for me.

Tentalces has momentous pushes and 2" melee so unlike Salt can get into fights and still be safe from retribution.

12 minutes ago, Banjulhu said:

Tentalces has momentous pushes and 2" melee so unlike Salt can get into fights and still be safe from retribution.

But those pushes are going to cost influence, which feels like a waste of INF unless I want him to get the ball, or (more likely) momentum to counter attack. All I needed was the +1 TAC from gang up and a model b2b to lock down an enemy in a triangle.

For now if I take tentacles full time, it would be for his ball carrying. I'll need to test it out in a beat down team. 

On 4/16/2016 at 10:33 AM, FearLord said:

Also, who says you can't have both versions of a character in your tournament line up? I haven't heard anything to that effect...

It is on their facebook or their twitter, I forget exactly which one. I'll find you a link.

21 minutes ago, Pending Forum Suspension said:

It is on their facebook or their twitter, I forget exactly which one. I'll find you a link.

Its In the organised play doc 

2 hours ago, FearLord said:

Where in the organised play document? I've just had a look through and I can't find it...

They are releasing a new version this week. Might need to wait a couple days for more clarity

pg 7 Organized Play doc:

Regardless of the roster selection method, a model is
considered to be the same unique character as its Veteran
alternate. For example, Veteran Siren is not an eligible
selection in a roster that also contains Siren.

So that also apply on the tournaments? I mean, when I select 8 models for a tournament I can not take Siren and VetSiren? Or only applies on the line up?

I guess it's also on the tournaments, but....

21 minutes ago, Blanca said:

So that also apply on the tournaments? I mean, when I select 8 models for a tournament I can not take Siren and VetSiren? Or only applies on the line up?

I guess it's also on the tournaments, but....

To avoid confusion: "team roster" is a game term that refers to the pool of players you have available for an event, from which you will select your team (the "match roster") for each game at the event. I personally use lineup for all the players available to a Guild, but that's not official terminology (I think).

Either way, you can't have both Sirens in the X (typically 8) models you select for a tournament.

21 minutes ago, Pangur Ban said:

To avoid confusion: "team roster" is a game term that refers to the pool of players you have available for an event, from which you will select your team (the "match roster") for each game at the event. I personally use lineup for all the players available to a Guild, but that's not official terminology (I think).

Either way, you can't have both Sirens in the X (typically 8) models you select for a tournament.

Yes, that does make it trickier... I can definitely see games where I would much rather have Vet Siren, but I would be extremely reluctant to leave Siren out of my line up for a whole event...