Sign in to follow this  
Tulsy

Let's Talk Hunter's - Jaecar

I have finally been able to get him on the board. He is a beast. Will do a better write up later, but he had 3 takeouts in my first game.  He does a silly amount of damage and gets anywhere he wants. Each turn he was loaded up with 4 and generated 6 momentum - 2 from the wrapped charge, 3 from other playbook results, 1 for the takeout. 

If you ever playing against him - he is your number one take out priority. 

7 hours ago, Tulsy said:

I have finally been able to get him on the board. He is a beast. Will do a better write up later, but he had 3 takeouts in my first game.  He does a silly amount of damage and gets anywhere he wants. Each turn he was loaded up with 4 and generated 6 momentum - 2 from the wrapped charge, 3 from other playbook results, 1 for the takeout. 

If you ever playing against him - he is your number one take out priority. 

Under the Season 2 wording can you trigger his traps via a push?

2 hours ago, Korak said:

Under the Season 2 wording can you trigger his traps via a push?

Yes Jamie P says on the GBT Podcast Interview came out Saturday

Also, once you lay a pitfall trap it has to be triggered by an enemy model. 

If you happen to misplace it you will not be able to lay another until that one is triggered. 

4 minutes ago, mr baron said:

Feels like the Hunters will be a little light on Influence.  Can we realistically expect to keep 4 influence on Jaecar?

I am giving the starter box a good 10 play throughs before I do a major wrote up, but so far I have been able to keep 4 on Jaecar. I have to sacrifice other cool things, but when one model can get 3-4 takes outs in a game...

Depends on your build really, but they can have between 10 (low) and 13 ( normal), and keep in mind Theron (and Hearne if you bring him) can turn 1 momentum into a free 2-3 cost play...

21 minutes ago, DrillbossD said:

Midas taking Gut & String :'(

It would be annoying, but he's got yo hit different people with it directly with the errated version, so it's no worse than some of the more well known suspects...

5 minutes ago, FearLord said:

It would be annoying, but he's got yo hit different people with it directly with the errated version, so it's no worse than some of the more well known suspects...

He also has momentous Heavy Burden though, and both are on a 1, so he picks a target and they just don't move. Shark does that on the legendary and has Reach, so it's maybe not worse, but it's definitely different.

He's so maneuverable it's unreal. With a walk of 7 then his walk of 7 in his activation and 4 inf. He wrecks face and dodges around then jump 4. I've had 2 games so far and hitting gutter on def 2 with no arm and crowding was just crazy

Enjoying hit and runs with him, but can he charge and place his trap before rolling for the attack. Cant work out in the new rule book on the activation timeline. Because Id feel guilty charging, dropping the trap, then pushing them in to it immediately..

I believe placing a trap would be an 'active' Trait. 

"Once per turn during this model’s activation, the Controlling Player may place a friendly 40mm pitfallmarker within [2”] of this model. A Player may only have [1] friendly pitfall-marker on the Pitch. When an enemy model moves within [1”] of a friendly pitfall-marker, that model immediately suffers the snared and bleed conditions and the pitfall-marker is removed"

"Active Characters Traits are effects that may be used during the model’s activation. Active Character Traits are actions (and so may not interrupt another action)."

I've only got one game in, but I really feel Jaecar is a sneaky goal threat. His speed, tackle on the 3 result, and all the early dodges he has in his playbook actually gives him a decent threat on goal, especially if he already has the ball. He can charge a model that's within 7-8 inches of the goal, hit them for some momentous damage and dodges, dodge out of melee and into goal range for a shot on goal. He can pretty easily generate 3 momentum before the shot as well, which means he is generating enough for the shot and a bonus time. On top of that, if he scores, he can spend a momentum for Run the Length, take the 4" dodge from that, then use his Back to the Shadows dodge to move 8" to safety. 

He's not the greatest striker in the game, obviously, but it is definitely there as an option and can catch people off guard. Especially those who are just waiting for him to murder people instead of hurting them with the ball. 

I've tried and missed with him.. twice. So for me hes relegated to murder duty for now. That said, greyscales once missed 3 in a row. So.. Cant depend on anyone ¬ ¬

But youre right! Light footed as well, just to negotiate anything AOES/terrain in the way. He definitely surprises people with that movement. Its like when you forest-launch with Hearne right in front of their goal. Hunters speed does make anyone a backup striker in a pinch when Egret is busy dishing out poison hell. Feels like 1 and 4 is the usual game plan

He's 1 for 1 for me so far. Bonus time will always be the key I feel. Without it I won't feel comfortable taking a shot unless it's out of desperation. Last night I was down 6-0 to the Union. Jaecar collected the ball from a goal kick and then put some damage on Decimate, then did his 4" dodge towards the goal and into some cover. Next turn, Jaecar finishes of Decimate with his first attack, walks into melee with Rage, attacks him twice, dodges into scoring range and out of melee, bonus times his shot on goal, then dodges 8" and out of Rage's charge range. Nothing like a 6 point activation with no retaliation! 

It's a momentum sink, but he is producing all of it on his own and usually still nets 1-2 momentum for the team to hold on to. There's always a chance he misses the shot, but that can be said about everyone. 

Put the Hunters on the table last night for the first time, Jaecar netted me 4 take-outs. One turn, killed Mallet and Marbles and the next took out Decimate and Honor. They'd all taken incidental damage, but his mobility was crazy!

So far for me, Jaecar has been a beast.  He doesn't always get take-outs - but he cripples the models in his vicinity so thoroughly that they aren't able to do anything.

I sent him in on Tapper on Tuesday.  He smoked Tapper with Gut & String, hit him a second time and did a push/dodge (so that he was now out of melee with Jaecar, who was now in range of Spigot).  I then Gut & String'd Spigot and dropped a trap on him, then with my last attack I got the 2 >< result, so I pushed him into the trap and out of melee, dodged the further 1", and then dodged away.  My opponent literally couldn't generate momentum for two turns.

Edit: Off topic, I know, but so far Egret has done a MASSIVE amount of damage, thanks to mass poisonings.

1 hour ago, niceas said:

[...] dropped a trap on him, then with my last attack I got the 2 >< result, so I pushed him into the trap [...]

I'm a newer player so it's likely I'm wrong, but I figured that traps would be activated if the enemy model jogs/sprints(/charges) into it... I never considered using pushes to get them into one.  With the season 2 attack timing stuff though, you couldn't declare a charge and place a trap before you roll your TAC, but if you advance and then attack you *could* place between your movement and TAC roll, right?  Jaecar was already a great addition to the team, but that... is considerably better.

12 minutes ago, Tarc Maylor said:

I'm a newer player so it's likely I'm wrong, but I figured that traps would be activated if the enemy model jogs/sprints(/charges) into it... I never considered using pushes to get them into one.  With the season 2 attack timing stuff though, you couldn't declare a charge and place a trap before you roll your TAC, but if you advance and then attack you *could* place between your movement and TAC roll, right?  Jaecar was already a great addition to the team, but that... is considerably better.

That Is correct you can't place one on a Charge