• Announcements

• Mako

Training Ground   02/14/2018

There’s a new section in the guild ball area designed to help rookies, but it needs others to help out - why not write a post for it? Anything that’s good for people to know, whatever faction they’re starting out with!
x22

Assembly help?

I got my butchers out of the box this weekend and started to look at assembling them.  Any tips on any of the models?  So far I feel good butting ox and boar together :)

Let's start with what models you are looking to put together, and what level of modeling experience you have. Are you pinning or just glueing? I found that I didn't need to pin any of my butchers. I lightly scored the contact areas, zipkicked, and superglued. Then used green stuff to fill any gaps. Just take your time and plan it out before doing it. Tenderizer was really the only one of the whole lot that I found to have any sort of difficulty. That left arm does not want to sit right. Took some bending and a bit of green stuff to get it right.

1 hour ago, Refused8778 said:

Tenderizer was really the only one of the whole lot that I found to have any sort of difficulty. That left arm does not want to sit right. Took some bending and a bit of green stuff to get it right.

I can't get his right arm in the "socket". Going to have to do some leg bending. Otherwise few problems so far.

5 hours ago, Pangur Ban said:

I can't get his right arm in the "socket". Going to have to do some leg bending. Otherwise few problems so far.

You are correct. Right arm. I had it pictured in reverse in my head lol. Thing is a pain in the rear!

Mainly I glue, with some green stuff.  I was looking over them all, and didn't see a lot of surface areas I thought would hold with just glue.  Particularly I was worries about Princesses' legs.  

I have the same issue with Tenderizer, the right arm seems to need some bending.  I really don't want to break it on accident.

I also picked up Avarice and Greed.  On the big guy, the chest compartment parts seem to need some sanding / filing to get a corner to go in.  On the little guy, those limbs seem so small and piddly to me!

I have a friend in the area who is an awesome modeler, I'm going to have him look at my models tonight and see what direction he can give me too.

When all of you talk about Tenderizer assembly, do you have metal or resin version ?

Got resin version and it fitted perfectly, just have to force a little to "clip" arms, but personally have no issue on it.

1 minute ago, Fey said:

When all of you talk about Tenderizer assembly, do you have metal or resin version ?

Got resin version and it fitted perfectly, just have to force a little to "clip" arms, but personally have no issue on it.

Metal. I have Chisel as well, also metal, and she also has both arms as a single bit to be attached to her torso but with her that's very, very easy. Tenderizer's just a pain. I'd rather hope not to have to resort to buying a resin version of every model that's overly difficult to assemble...

Princess's legs should hold fine with just glue. They don't weigh enough to pull themselves free, and are protected from most abuse, by being below the model. I know she's not a Butcher, but I've had the most problems with Friday. The tip of her Pony Tail came off while I was cutting the sprue off, I had to wrap a piece of foil around the joint there. Her Forelock seems ready to drop off at any moment, and her Knife is way to slim.

Do Butchers models have a lot of extra knives or cleavers? Brewers have a bunch of little extra Kegs to add willy nilly to belts.

Having assembled 3 Butchers teams so far, I can safely say that they'll hold fine with glue, provided that you took time to clean the models and have a steady hand gluing.

To clean the models, I used an ultra-soft toothbrush and some dish soap.  Gave them a thorough clean, and then set them aside to dry completely before gluing.

I can't stress enough how important that is - the models have mold-release on them and the glue won't stick nearly as well if they aren't washed.

Last piece of advice is make sure not to overdo it on the glue.

If you are going to prime before assembly, cover up the join points with some poster tac so that you don't have to worry about the primer interfering with the glue job.

Uhhg tenderizer.  I cut off the little tabs on the arms and filed a little bit on the inside areas.  It just barely fit, and it was so tight i almost didnt need any glue lol.  Moderate green stuffing around the sockets will be needed.

I have all in metal and even glueing is a pain. Pinning is nigh impossible as some fittings are really slim. Big units becomes easier. Green stuff is great to fill in gaps.

I am struggling with one thing thou blooming bases!!! the slots are so wide i have to wiggle the metal base slot stub in a z way to grab purchase on the base :( just annoying 

I had to play with Tenderiser a bit myself.  What I finally came up with is filing down the right and left arm points a bit, slightly more on the right side.  Then hook the left side in first, followed by the right, with the arms tilted upward from the final resting angle.  Then I rotated it down to final pose and pushed, the whole thing went right in perfectly with no gaps at all.  This was on the metal one.

I just pulled my tenderizer's arms apart with pliers until they just slid in, leaving two very small gaps after glueing. Green stuff, then looks perfect.

On Wednesday, 13 April 2016 at 5:56 AM, x22 said:

Mainly I glue, with some green stuff.  I was looking over them all, and didn't see a lot of surface areas I thought would hold with just glue.  Particularly I was worries about Princesses' legs.

I have the same issue with Tenderizer, the right arm seems to need some bending.  I really don't want to break it on accident.

I also picked up Avarice and Greed.  On the big guy, the chest compartment parts seem to need some sanding / filing to get a corner to go in.  On the little guy, those limbs seem so small and piddly to me!

I have a friend in the area who is an awesome modeler, I'm going to have him look at my models tonight and see what direction he can give me too.

I think I was in a similar boat as you when i started my GB journy, with little modelling exp behind me, Princess' legs were so frustrating. But pliers and glue should do the trick mate. So far I have not had the honour of experiencing the tenderiser arm issue. I guess it is something for me to look forwards to when i get around to buying him.