CritDamage

Scalpel line up / playtesting

So with the card being released I am going to start play testing our new capt tomorrow!

I was just sitting and working out what my starting line up would be and the pro/cons of each player.

So for the match tomorrow I am going to give the following a shot.

Scalpel - 4
Dirge - 1
Silence - 3
Cosset - 2
Casket - 1
Minx - 2

So I was 50/50 swapping Minx out with Rage for some more damage but I am going to try and see what I can do with her. She has a very long threat range and can sit out wide and still come in and smash some damage in. The team has a lower end of kick stat with longest being 6" however lots of < > are on the cards and should help to position better and further. The one I really dont like in the team but is needed at present is Silence that 3 inf is to good to leave at home.

I hope to see how she goes on the table and the different team building is really interesting to me!

I will be doing up a match report so expect the epic loss to be up for all to see ;)

Anyway feel free to post thoughts and your team line ups it would be cool to see what we can really get out of her!

15 minutes ago, Ratty said:

I think Steve's lineup included, Silence, Dirge, Ghast, Mist, Bonesaw...  Full on football.

That also looks fun as! Def the next on the block to test!

2 hours ago, Ratty said:

I think Steve's lineup included, Silence, Dirge, Ghast, Mist, Bonesaw...  Full on football.

This Lineup would be fun!

4 hours ago, Ratty said:

I have been playing this line up a lot with Obulus focusing quite heavily on the football game. It's a loads of fun to play due to the ability to puppet master models forward to setup for goals. Haven't really put much thought into how it would play with Scapel. Though admittedly I feel need to play some Scapel first to see what sort of line up she will support(or what line up will support her).

So had two games with my starting line up as above:

Scalpel - 4
Dirge - 1
Silence - 3
Cosset - 2
Casket - 1
Minx - 2

First game was with the Masons and it was an interesting slog fest for sure in the middle.  I had casket move up to tie down Brick and Chisel(who later moved away and into the middle pack) and he seemed to play the part well. Between Scalpel and Cosset I was also able to take out mallet out early after he killed dirge and put some pain onto silence. The game ended when I started within 10" of the goal and a pretty big scrum in the middle of the pitch. Between cosset and Minx they beat up Chisel until she had 3 hp left. I also had honor and marbles in the fray in the middle to deal with but I saw a way I could snatch the victory. Scalpel went with a full stack of influence and she started with her legend play to pull in chisel(I only needed a short distance but she was still crowded out by Minx who had dodged to set this up and dirge).

My first attack I rolled pretty well and between 9 dice I managed to do 3 damage and a dodge. I then walked into combat with honor and marbles(who again due to fighting and fire was on 4hp) who I also pulled in with my legend play so he was near honor trying to kill silence. I attacked the chimp and scored enough results for the 1 damage >< and continue to pull and dodge towards the goal post. I did this another 3 times and after the last attack marbles was dead and I was well within shooting range of the goal with more then enough mom for the shot. So Scalpel kicked and scored the winning goal letting me win 12 - 8.

The 2nd game I had was vs brewers and the player ended up having to duck out but we were on 6 - 6 with a goal each and a take out.

This game again Scalpel and Minx killed Friday and all the others were running in and out of the middle doing damage. I was using 2nd wind a lot on Minx this game and she seemed to gel fairly well with the ability between her 3dam << result. 

So she is def interesting to play and so far I really like her play style. I do find that having those wingers on the outside who are able to come in and do supporting damage really useful esp if they also have dodges on the card to get out once they are done(sometimes I keep them in for crowd bonus). The most used ability I have used so far on her card is def the mom 1 dam >< it provides so much in either position her for a shot or pulling other players away from their team to be grouped up on. This combos really well with casket holding other players away with his aura, tough hide and reanimate. Scalpel was also building a tonne of mom during the turns that I could use to keep up players and remove conditions, this was between herself and the other wingers doing some really solid work with crowd bonus etc. 

This was also the first time I had played Minx and I am starting to warm to her more. I love being able to charge a crazy distance and come deliver some hurt from down town and then dodge out after its done(she doesnt even need inf every turn). I am also keen on subbing her out for either rage/graves/vet graves and see what they can also bring to the table!

So next up I am going to try the football team and see what they can do! But as I said I am having lots of fun playing her at the moment, is she better then obby? That is yet to be determined but the fact she doesn't need the influence stack makes her whole team more of a danger and threat to the other player. 

I've been using this odd list with her. 

Scalpel (she has a great threat range, I'll use the KD from Fangtooth to set up her killing). Another use is second wind on Fangtooth. I'll attack a target engaged, KD, then sprint out to a new target, KD, and finally second wind engage a new target. She is nasty on her on once tooled up. Against almost any captain loaded to the max can drop them. The only one issues are a glutinous, or a tough hide captain. They either take a hit away but in turn create momentum. Finally she is a good scoring threat as well.

Dirge because there isn't another to choose yet.

Casket with tool up he becomes a legit threat verse lower health targets. Think 12 health and lower when you send him. With on two hits doing momentous 2 and now 3 with tool up. He is doing 12 damage average per set of attacks on max.

Mist like always having a scoring threat the other team has to account for. 

Fangtooth as gone over earlier. 

Rage tool up and also his own damage potential, really like he doesn't need influence except for the one. This frees up everyone else who needs it.

My only concern about that line up is the low INF  that you bring. Here's what I'm currently working on

Scalpel 4

Dirge 1

Silence 3

Ghast 1

Bonesaw 2

Rage (or vet graves) 1/2

My plan is to throw ghast up in the middle and engage as much as possible. With pushes from scalpel and bonesaw, you can lock alot of guys into his 5.5" bubble of kd death.

Meanwhile, scalpel with tooled up and rage can put some actual hurt on or her and bonesaw can score goals.  Meanwhile silence let's you setup for tormented agony and sets guys on fire (or can help setup goals)

The real decider will vileswarm. 

Yeah the INF was the biggest point I found at the start also and one of the main reasons I set on Cosset and Minx to start with, both bring 2 to the table but can charge for free if needed and INF in tight for the turn.

I agree I can not wait to see Vileswarm and if he does generate more INF for being with Vet Graves it could be really cool!

@LouisvillePitch That is def an interesting list with both Casket and Fang making an anchor in middle field while others get work done. Its cool to think that she can either be pulling persons into the middle with both of them or using people that are KD to kill or build mom and dodges for goals. Seems solid another list for me to try!

Keep it up guys this has been good brain storming!

22 hours ago, LouisvillePitch said:

I've been using this odd list with her. 

Scalpel (she has a great threat range, I'll use the KD from Fangtooth to set up her killing). Another use is second wind on Fangtooth. I'll attack a target engaged, KD, then sprint out to a new target, KD, and finally second wind engage a new target.

I am particularly looking forward to Second Wind on Ghast used in a similar manner. My best activations with Ghast are when he is able to start engaged knockdown all those who he is engaging then jog into the position to engage others either to knock them down(INF dependant) or to tie them up and be ready to counter attack. As a first activation it's a nightmare for my opponents, I have momentum and they may have as many as 3 players knocked down. Having access to Second Wind to leverage that knockdown in a 3rd place seems immense.

Yea creating KD situations is really nice. I ran the list KD wise with ghast, casket, and fangtooth worked really well. Only issue I had with it was in goal action. Was cutting up opponents but rarely scoring.

I tried out the following:

Scalpel, Dirge, Mist, Ghast, Silence, Cosset.

I liked it. It's a good well-rounded team. I'd drop Mist for Rage if I wanted to go pure murder, and Cosset for I guess Bonesaw if I wanted to go fully football.

My next attempt will be Scalpel, Dirge, Rage, Ghast, Silence, Cosset. Having two free-chargers and access to tooled-up is a pretty sweet deal.

Recommend trying out Silence, Graves, Ghast, Mist. Despite my general misgivings about Graves, Graves and Ghast together can control a lot of centerfield and make room for scalpel to jump in and out of the fight while threatening strong parting blows with bleed or knockdown. Influence allocation is a dream too, with Graves at 2, Ghast at 2, Silence at 2-3, and Scalpel on 5-6 on most turns, and a little shuffling on turns when Mist can score. When Vileswarm is spoiled I expect to try a similar lineup but swap the two Graves. 

In general, Rage is very good with Scalpel I think, and is a reasonable swap for Graves above as well, but right now I am really loving the 2" reach to give Scalpel breathing room.

4 hours ago, Slothrop said:

Recommend trying out Silence, Graves, Ghast, Mist. Despite my general misgivings about Graves, Graves and Ghast together can control a lot of centerfield and make room for scalpel to jump in and out of the fight while threatening strong parting blows with bleed or knockdown. Influence allocation is a dream too, with Graves at 2, Ghast at 2, Silence at 2-3, and Scalpel on 5-6 on most turns, and a little shuffling on turns when Mist can score. When Vileswarm is spoiled I expect to try a similar lineup but swap the two Graves. 

In general, Rage is very good with Scalpel I think, and is a reasonable swap for Graves above as well, but right now I am really loving the 2" reach to give Scalpel breathing room.

Who are your last two models in case Midas shows up?

44 minutes ago, WizardOfWit said:

Who are your last two models in case Midas shows up?

If you had a gun to my head right now, i'd say Rage and Casket would make the bench for the above team. Casket might drop for A&G but I haven't tested them with Scalpel yet and honestly don't get enough time with the Alchemists matchup locally. Really hoping Vileswarm is good, as i'd like to bring 2" melee versus Alchs but we can't right now. If you can have VetGraves and Graves in a tourney 8 (as long as they never see the same pitch at the same time) I will likely have VetGraves take Casket's spot (or even Graves's if VS rocks).

This all might change of course. Only 1.5 weeks into playing her, and no tourney opportunity till the end of the month. 

So I had 2 games with our new Lady of Death over the weekend and she left me slightly underwhelmed. The 3rd column push/dodge play book is very good and she has some really good movement but I found the majority of her skills are purely situational. I never used her legendary or tormented agony in either game. The first game was against Hammer and I won the game purely by staying out of reach and positioning to avoid the Masons getting a foot hold. If my opponent had Honour, this would have been a totally different story. The second against a Fillet led Butchers I found out just how quickly she turns to mush as the meat grinder just rolled out. Admittedly it's only been two games but I can't see her leading my Morts into a tournament as Obs can do pretty much everything she can and then some. Hopefully more play testing will get her to click but at the moment, she's coming up short.

I am brand new to GB playing Morticians and Hunters. I have looked at Steamforged Resources and do not see Scalpel stat card. Where is it posted? Hyperlink?

Correction: I found stat card.

On 4/8/2016 at 1:14 AM, Slothrop said:

Recommend trying out Silence, Graves, Ghast, Mist.

My first team will be Silence, Graves, Mist, Rage.  Ghast is a loser.

2 hours ago, sious_69 said:

My first team will be Silence, Graves, Mist, Rage.  Ghast is a loser.

I mean that doesn't sound that bad either, though I'd swap Rage for Cosset. Faster is nice with Scalpel.

When you play in team games, do your teammates have to talk about how bad the best characters in the game are, to get you to play them? :P

I tried out Casket/A&G/Ghast/Silence with Scalpel a couple times this week. It was pretty fun, and Scalpel LP'ing + a bunch of 1+>< hits means she can fairly reliably pull somebody 6-9 inches in an activation, which is tons of fun and plays with Casket nicely. It's, of course, once per game with the LP, but so is Casket Time, so might as well commit! The team has too little kick though, that sucked. 

2 minutes ago, Slothrop said:

I mean that doesn't sound that bad either, though I'd swap Rage for Cosset. Faster is nice with Scalpel.

Now you don't have Tooled Up for Scalpel which limits her ability to get in, destroy a model, then get out with the Heroic.

2 minutes ago, Korak said:

Now you don't have Tooled Up for Scalpel which limits her ability to get in, destroy a model, then get out with the Heroic.

Ehhh, Scalpel already does really reliable damage in my experience. Tooled Up is, of course, nice, but Scalpel gets more value out of her stuff the earlier she activates in a turn, and I think the telegraphing from TU is worse on her than it is on Obulus. There's something to be said for Scalpel's ability to pull people into Rage's threat, but Cosset is even more flexible with that, and has a couple other perks as well, not least the extra INF. Wouldn't say either option is terrible in my opinion though. 

19 minutes ago, Slothrop said:

When you play in team games, do your teammates have to talk about how bad the best characters in the game are, to get you to play them? :P

Nah, usually I play things that I think are really good.  I am occasionally wrong, where I think something is mint and its actually just me being a ground floor mad dog and utterly smashing guys, and then I stop playing them.

I do think that team I listed is actually pretty quality, their Kick values are exceptional across the board, so it is a team focusing on two goals and two takeouts. The trick will be surviving the hit back.

That's legit, and Ghast's weakness is definitely the ball game. I am liking Graves for the reason you described with Scalpel--he raises the average ball game a lot compared to other Morticians lineups. I just think the control and meat that Ghast brings is basically unmatched. Have fun with Scalpel, she's the best! Obulus is so old hat.