CritDamage

Scalpel line up / playtesting

So far I've played Scalpel 3 times, and each time I've felt like she didn't do much. Her legendary hasn't been very impactful, and her damage potential is woefully bad. 4 hits for 2 damage is sort of reliable given her TAC and AP, but there's a bit of Skornergy in her kit. When dealing damage you want to hit players that have already gone (unless you can one-round them, which she can't), but Tormented Agony requires them to not have gone yet to be effective. All she's really done is make shots on goal that Obulus could have done at least as well.

I've yet to see a situation in my games where I wanted to use Wake the Dead, and Second Wind has only functioned as a sprint for her.

I've also missed the ability to load up Obulus and just dumpster a player. It's an extremely powerful tool in the box to be able to execute a full health enemy that has a good amount of influence on them.

I need to play Scalpel against more teams (Two of my games have been brewers, one has been Union), but more and more I think she's worse than Obulus at Damage, Survivability, Utility, Football, and even brings 1 less influence.

I managed to have a couple of games with Scalpel yesterday and she's a lot of fun. I managed a 12-4 win against Ox-led Butchers and a 12-10 loss against Shark-led Fish (I hate Fish).

Using Scalpel, Dirge, Silence, Casket, Bonesaw, Graves against the Butchers (Goal each from Scalpel and Bonesaw and a take-out each for Scalpel and Graves) and Scalpel, Dirge, Silence Cosset, Bonesaw, Graves against the Fish (Bonesaw goal, 2 Take-outs from Scalpel and a Cosset take-out).

Bonesaw's Unexpected Arrival and Scalpel's Legendary (along with her :><:) were useful is keeping the Butcher's spread out to limit Ox's aura.

I know it's early days but I had a much more fun time playing Scalpel than Obulus. Graves is also surprisingly effective.

18 hours ago, LeadDiceandBeers said:

I managed to have a couple of games with Scalpel yesterday and she's a lot of fun. I managed a 12-4 win against Ox-led Butchers and a 12-10 loss against Shark-led Fish (I hate Fish).

Using Scalpel, Dirge, Silence, Casket, Bonesaw, Graves against the Butchers (Goal each from Scalpel and Bonesaw and a take-out each for Scalpel and Graves) and Scalpel, Dirge, Silence Cosset, Bonesaw, Graves against the Fish (Bonesaw goal, 2 Take-outs from Scalpel and a Cosset take-out).

Bonesaw's Unexpected Arrival and Scalpel's Legendary (along with her :><:) were useful is keeping the Butcher's spread out to limit Ox's aura.

I know it's early days but I had a much more fun time playing Scalpel than Obulus. Graves is also surprisingly effective.

"more fun" I don't think is what the person you are responding to is debating.  I believe the sentiment is that she doesn't seem like a stronger option than Obulus.  Having a new captain naturally will be more fun but it might be worth stating why you think she is actually potentially stronger than Obulus or equal in terms of competitive play.

<3

The thread was about lineups used with Scalpel.

Can't speak for Lead Dice and beers, but I wasn't debating anyone, just mentioning I have enjoyed her more and I plan to use Graves with her.

I'll be playing my first game as a Mort without Ghast: Scalpel, Dirge, Mist, Silence, Graves, Rage for the first game and Cosset for the second.

How are you all finding Silence in the line up guys? I dunno one one hand Scalpel wants to go kind of early to set up and position other players and gain that Mom lead so that helps Silence with landing his Tucked/Shut out but I just feel other then the Inf he brings he drags the team a little bit.

Thoughts?

I played two games last night.  

The first game was against Hammer, I used Silence, Fangtooth, Graves, Bonesaw.  Thanks to some of my best work, Scalpel got charged turn 1 by Hammer and played Hair to literally not die before activating... so that was fun (she kicked off).  However I managed to generate enough Momentum to stand her up and get into Flint, Second Wind after retrieving the ball to engage Brick.  It was fucking amazing. Win second turn.  Attack Brick a few times to generate momentum, heal, walk into goal range.... then get Counter Charged by Brick, because I am a straight ground floor legend.  Ball scatters.  Hammer continues to absolutely shred models in the team, I manage to get a takeout, and a goal the following turn with Scalps, and my main man Gravesy. The score is currently 8-6 to me, and the bird is in range to grab the ball and Bonus Time a pass to Scalpel for a Snap Shot victory!!!!  And he misses the pass.  Stupid Dirge.   Hammer then kills Scalpel, Knockback her 5 times, get in position to score a goal with Mallet in range for Football legend and takes a 5 dice shot to win and gets it.  Awesome game.

The second games was against Honour, I used Silence, Graves, Bonesaw, Rage.  Honour used Superior Strategy on herself after I Tooled Up Scalpel, and I dodged her forward.  He blocked my charge lane to Brick to try and stop me scoring a bottom of 1 goal, so I instead passed and used the Dodge to engage Honour.  I realised after the game that was probably the time to use Voodoo Strings, but I stripped one of her Influence and gave it to Mist, and then punched the crap out of her, leaving her alive with 3 boxes left.  I would've killed her had I used my Legendary.  I won Iniatitive, scored a goal with Scalpel, and then thanks to Knee Slider and her Heroic, moved 16" to completely redeploy into a different position.  I kept kicking the crap out of Honour, getting a takeout on her, and one on Brick, and then suddenly Scalpel has the ball again and is in goal range and slots it for the winner.

Her maneuverabilty is better than any other player in the game.  Her playbook is crazy good, although its slightly less effective vs straight DEF5 characters, but everyone else is easy pickings for her to hit the moneyball spots of 1><, and 2GB, both Momentous.  With Tooled Up she will legitimately kill most players comfortably, no different from Obulus, but what she can do is do that, and then be 8" away from the enemy model she just fought, usually pretty safe from reprisal.  I found it very fun playing her, and I definitely think she is much better on the table than people think on paper.

Also Graves is amazing and you should all feel bad

3 hours ago, sious_69 said:

It was fucking amazing. Win second turn.  Attack Brick a few times to generate momentum, heal, walk into goal range.... then get Counter Charged by Brick, because I am a straight ground floor legend.

Lol. God, I love you aussies.

3 hours ago, sious_69 said:

Do you have any suggestions for matchups you think he's good in? I just can't get over the influence starvation he entails.

14 hours ago, sious_69 said:

I don't feel bad.  I love Graves. Been trying to champion him for ages!

Just haven't got Scalpel yet to run the two together as some of us are still waiting on general release :(

Our league only got 7 players so as soon as I get scalpel, I'll be playing her in it. 

Can't remember what 8 players j picked now though..

Looking forward to tooled up, charge iin, sprint back into ghostly visage. That is going to be amazing

Also, her being able to knee slider and second wind is cool, but she can also run the field as well. So 20" with knee slider, 11 without. That's still a long way

I'm looking at a similar lineup, maybe swapping casket for fangtooth. That unleashed on Vileswarm is great.

But I also want to include a&g for singled out.

On 4/15/2016 at 4:40 PM, Jorenm said:

Lol. God, I love you aussies.

Do you have any suggestions for matchups you think he's good in? I just can't get over the influence starvation he entails.

Influence starvation isnt a thing in Morticians.  Even with Graves, Scalpel and Silence, you are sitting on par with most other teams, with your base influence likely to be 12.  Since you are looking for an early goal, that is pretty acceptable.  

I really like Graves into Brewers, Masons, Fishermen and any team that takes a big guy. 

I have been using Obulus to Puppet Master and Push Dodge guys into position, Avarisse, to Singled Out and KD the target, and Graves as a last turn activation to charge, and generally pick up somewhere in the vicinity of 12-18 damage across two or three targets, plus Bleed.  That makes it a very trivial matter for Obulus to execute a couple of players in an activation.  

Deoends entirely on the rest of the list, and which Captain I am using, and which Mascot I want.  I lean towards Dirge as having a little bit more versatility, and hence vGraves loses a little there.  But Gravedigger combined with Casket Time is pretty tasty, and his playbook is a little more useful, with momentous results and a KD.  The TAC drop stings though.

First game with Scalpel......Scalpel (with tooled up) used legendary play to drag in Greede and Princess, tackling the ball off Greede and killing him dodging and killing Princess followed by a shot on goal with a heroic second wind move to safety. 8 Point activation. Cheers.

Anatomical Precision is huge, the heroic is amazing, legendary has some very good practical uses that were not immediately apparent such as pushing models to block others yet to activate (yes it is difficult because its directly towards but just be good with placement). 

Can't wait for game 2 - will write up some match reports focusing on all my games with Scalpel with a set template soon for consistent data recording...initial impressions are very, very good!

Had my first game with her against Masons today.

My opponent is new to the game and only has about five games under his belt but he is really coming into his own.

That being said, I won 12-0.

My line up was: Scalpel, Dirge, Bonesaw, Cosset, Graves, Silence

My opponent was running: Honour, Marbles, Brick, Flint, Mallet, Tower

Basically I won with four take outs and a goal.

Cosset took out Flint and Tower, Graves took out Mallet and Scalpel crossed off Marbles and scored the game winning goal.

I really enjoy Scalpel's play style and while I feel like she is at a disadvantage against 2" Melee heavy teams like Brewers and Fish, she is a very competitive alternative to the Ferryman himself.

Her playbook allows for some great flexibility and my favorite moment was the game winning goal.

I was just outside goalshot range, had won initiative, loaded her up with 6 INF, charged Brick, Momentous 1 Damage :><: + something I can't remember (probably another momentous :<: Damage combo, used my Legendary to pull in Mallet, who was holding the ball, within reach, put in three more attacks, dodged into goal range and outof Mallet's Melee Range and took the shot for the win.

On 22 April 2016 at 4:16 AM, jahorin said:

what was the rest pf your lineup?

Rage, Silence, Ghast, Vileswarm and Graves2 - I wanted to see how I could go with a Take-out threat saturation line up and if Scalpel and Silence tricks would be enough to control the ball for a single goal at the right time. It went to plan but I will need to try it in many more match ups before I can comfortably say it is working as planned. I will probably miss a striker and put Mist in later but will stick to this for now in testing.